lol.jpg
asteroid.jpg
image.jpg
side_by_side.jpg
mini.jpg
st_zps968154a7.jpg
Mini-Red-Green-Laser-Lightings-Laser-P.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#244 10 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

The PF was really bugging me, so I spent literally less than 10 minutes tweaking the color palette to what I was imagining before it was released.

Wow, yours looks so much better...yeah my first thought when I saw the playfield was "Sega rainbow sherbet" style like Lost World. Guessing it looks better in person, though - Stern's always look better with their natural lighting vs. first release pics. I thought AC/DC looked like ass when the pics came out, but I'm absolutely fine with how it looks when I play it.

What else can be said that hasn't already. My stream of consciousness while looking at the video/pics: I'm sure it will be a great player, cuz it's Steve Ritchie and looks to be a "best of" STTNG/Spidey design...but with the high price, expectations are higher. The Asteroids on the LE/Prem seem to be fancy spotlights. Doesn't seem like that valuable of an extra feature. I'm guessing most of the differences between the LE/Prem and Pro will be subtle...stuff we're not seeing that well here but will affect gameplay - like the dual gates on Avengers and the various parts that go along with the crossover ramp.

I wonder what the fire button does...is there a lock/kickback under the small Enterprise? That would just shoot the ball back down the ramp...so probably not. Maybe you can use it to fire the VUK? Most likely it's firing the ball out of the big center ship - but why would you want to fire a ball at yourself? Whatever it does, it's not as obvious as AC/DC's cannon.

They brought in Greg Freres to do the art, but the cabinet art packages seem cobbled from the typical product style guide imagery instead of anything custom. After Metallica, this feels like we're going back in time to Avengers-land. Playfield has ZERO ships or characters - maybe that's for the best if it was just gonna be photo-cobbled...the LE has no characters on the backglass which really seems to be pandering to the "We hate actors" crowd - but in doing that, the game is lacking personality IMO.

At the end of the day, gameplay, rules, and sound design will make or break it -which is really how it should be. I already have nice playing cool Steve Ritchie games (including STTNG), though...what experience will this game offer for the price that my other games don't provide? I suppose I'll find out when I play one...which means I'm not going to pre-order blindly. Besides, I have other (unfinished cough cough) Stern's to play and enjoy.

#254 10 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

STTNG, on the other hand, has stood the test of time and is a top 10 all time great. .

...and has a color DMD lol

#275 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I've never owned STTNG, so I probably shouldn't be as bothered by the apparent rehash as those who do or have.

Here's the problem with it being even remotely similar to STTNG: You can get a nice STTNG with Color DMD for $5k-ish or less. Many were made so it's not rare. So if you were a person who wanted a Star Trek game, it's inevitable that you'd compare.

I've already GOT a ST game...so - in order to get excited about this one it would at least have to be different and offer some new tech or toy or something that really knocked my socks off. Not seeing it...but I have to keep reminding myself I was totally underwhelmed by the initial AC/DC pics & info. Steve told me "YOU WILL OWN THIS GAME" lol...and he was right.

#299 10 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

The layout is very similar to a couple other top SR games, but how bad is that really?

It's not bad, but we're expected to purchase these games for a lot of $$$. If it's similar to games I already have, what's my incentive? If I don't have those games, what's my incentive to buy this over similar cheaper games?

#504 10 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Overall, if the cost of the Pro is reasonable, why not!? Justifying the LE is another story. Not to mention the Premium - was it even necessary?

The Premium is totally necessary. If I do end up liking this game and want the "complete experience", I will have that option without having to pre-order an LE. Same thing a lot of us did on AC/DC. I didn't buy AC/DC LE right away for one reason or another - but then months later decided I wanted the game. I was able to get a Premium for ~$6k instead of having to pay a scalper for an LE.

The extra features don't seem to be massive, but are enough that I know I'd want the Premium if I decide to buy. The VUK shot gives you an extra combo possibility...It looks to shoot the ball to middle of the Warp Ramp so that it flies around to the right orbit where you can then combo it w/ the upper flipper to the Warp Ramp. The big middle ship is going to have some movement/features not on the Pro. The Pro won't have the small Enterprise...not sure if it does anything besides decoration...guess we'll find out soon.

#636 10 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

I think something BIG happens when the Vengeance gets destroyed. I think the saucer drops as shown by that groove in the metal support bracket, which presumably shows the course of descent of the saucer. The saucer front edge might become a new ramp entrance for a channel revealed on the saucer drop. The warp nacelles are hinged, so clearly they move. I THINK I see graphics beneath/behind the Vengeance through the translucent Alpha ramps that would get revealed if Vengeance crashes down onto the playfield.

.....or it just bobbles like the ship on AFM.

#645 10 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

Naw, look at the mech under the right hand side of the Vengeance. It's a moving cam that comes forward and then drops the front down while the back stays higher. Pretty obvious that the ship can move forward and the front comes down to playfield level. Also the separate panel section on the very front of the ship hints that it opens in some way.

Hmmm I think you're right...I don't think it'll come down to playfield level but I think it will fall forward when destroyed. If it came down to the playfield, what would be the point? To bash an already destroyed ship? Hmmm. I think the Pro version will be AFM bobble, though.

#650 10 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

PLEASE use color changing LEDS on all inserts!!!!

No way they'll do all...most likely the Star Fleet "arrow" inserts

#666 10 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I can't say I blame them for the price hike. The last debacle of METLE's selling for more on the second hand market before release is proof that they left money on the table.

No they didn't. They make Limited games to sell out fast to collector types. Didn't get one? There's a Premium. Money is made, players get a game.

Metallica demand was nutballs for these reasons:
-AC/DC BIB (300 units) price went nuts, so there was the "fear" of get it now or pay more later for a hot music title.
-Excellent original art like nothing ever seen on a Stern game.
-Cool looking all original toys.
-Never been a Metallica pin (non pinball metal heads wanted it).
-Lyman on rules, riding the wave of AC/DC love.

Star Trek on the other hand
-If 750 units is true - that softens the "get it before it's gone" factor.
-Price hike also softens demand if the perceived value isn't there.
-Already 3 other ST games, so you're not gonna get hardcore Trekkies ordering this the way Metallica fans were...pin-heads and non-hobbyists alike LOVE STTNG.
-Stock style guide art.
-Unknown rules ...sound like they're going for lots of modes & depth - but no one's been able to pull that type of coding off except Keith Johnson. Most post-Keith "deep mode" style games have been slogs (TF, TAV) or just clusterf*ck messes (X-Men).

Building on the previous point, there's also the buyer psychology concerning pre-orders & code. Metallica isn't done yet...that puts current Met owners on hold from plunking down on another game. Same exact thing happened with Avengers. X-Men code was in a state of F*CKED and TF code was in an arguably shaky place.

All that being said - this game will NO DOUBT be fun to shoot. The rules could end up being incredible. The LE's could eventually go up in value. I just don't see there being the mad pre-order rush that Metallica had for the reasons stated....and there's nothing wrong with that. Let's let the game speak for itself and players make up their mind once we've played it.

#680 10 years ago
Quoted from Mycal:

Just curious, why people got refunds before seeing the final details?

-I don't find anything about the LE art or bling to be so stellar that I feel the need to pre-order
-If I end up liking the game, I think LEs will be available at a normal price. If not, I'm fine with Premium.
-I'm a Metallica owner waiting for the code to be finished. I trust Lyman.
-I'm a former TFLE and XMenLE owner who waited A LONG TIME for code to be finished. I don't trust Non-Lymans.
-Almost all of the Stern LEs have had annoying physical problems due to lack of real world testing. I don't want to be a guinea pig/beta tester again. My best recent Stern purchase was AC/DC Premium - after the kinks were worked out & code was updated.

#683 10 years ago
Quoted from Mycal:

I hear you and have been scouring all of the ST threads for opinions but all of the details/specs aren't apparent yet. If they put the deposits down so long ago, what is another 48 hours to be sure that there isn't something to blow them away?

Sometimes you just get a gut feeling....but hey, sometimes that gut feeling is wrong. I'll get to play one soon enough. If it blows me away - Premium here I come. No regrets.

#716 10 years ago

Another thing.
That Star Trek writing is a mock up - not dots.
Still predicting one or two LCD's - it's the only thing that makes sense re price rise.

denial.jpgdenial.jpg

#745 10 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

I'm wondering if I can purchase the LE Ramps and Habitrails and install them on the pro.
That would be acceptable for me. It would be even better if I could replace the left kick out on the pro with a standard VUK mech too.

Soooo...you want a Premium? lol

#754 10 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

Color dmd in the EE maybe?

Quoted from jackal2001:

I just want to know where all the extra money is going on the EE.

Mirrored backlass, snazzy rails, shaker.

Extra money = new hires, R&D, etc. I don't think we're gonna see it in the game itself. Also, they saw 500 MetLE sell out & flipped for profit within hours....so why not make more and raise the price? I don't think they factored in the factors I posted about earlier...but I think the Met situation is why we're seeing this.

#756 10 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

I'm not really liking the premium art work at all, the pro is much better. Maybe I can get a premium playfield in a pro cab

It will be squished between your other games in a dark room. Problem solved.

#810 10 years ago
Quoted from huo:

Perhaps we need to start a kick starter for them to finish code on specific games?

I really hate when people bring things like this up ....as if we haven't paid enough already!? $6k+ for GAMES...it's not too much to ask for the GAME part of the $6k+ game to be completed lol

#846 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I just can't picture some silly laser projector comparing with adding an LCD. Even if they project some images of the characters onto the playfield ... not gonna cut it.

Actually, I think it sounds potentially cool...anything that interacts with the playfield trumps the score display IMO. Yes, DMD should have been gone already - especially with a license that has plenty of HD color footage to use...but I'm really interested in seeing what this starfield projector is all about. Stands to be one of the coolest and unique light shows ever.

Also, I guess I was wrong about the color changing insert LEDs...the feature sheet says the Prem/LE has 60 Tri-color LEDs under inserts vs. 7 on the Pro. Very cool. Still wanna play it first and see where code is. The more multi color LED FX possibilities there are, the longer coding them is gonna take. So far most of Metallica's multi-color inserts only do red & white...one does red/purple/pink.

#857 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Wait, looking at this again ... does it say DMD anywhere?? What if all 3 do come with an LCD still?

Stop...just....stop. It's a red DMD.

#868 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The premium is the ugliest by far. That's out for me. It's Le or bust. Where's Teekee?

While I'd rather see something more interesting than Photoshop poster head collage, Star Trek IS about the characters - and it's nice to see them on the Prem translite...it also evokes STTNG's translite somewhat. Red wouldn't have been my first choice for trim - but it does fit with the art package's color scheme - cabinet art colors are pretty just red/blue/black/white....lots of red lasers all over.

#881 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Red trim just doesn't go. Huge drop off from Metallica art. Really huge.

Well - that's ALL versions...nothing's gonna come close to Metallica art!

#892 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

If Lonnie does the code does that mean the game will have a road block?

LOL....look - they're shooting for the stars here (har har) and I hope it works out. 6 modes & 18 mini-modes...multiballs, mini-wizard, wizard....every LED with color change ability.....that's a LOT of stuff. Fingers crossed.

#893 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

No kickback on the pro?! FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!
That is a freaking huge letdown. I can live without the other stuff, but that seems pretty damn integral to the design. I was all in on the pro, now I don't know.

The Pro guys will say no kickback makes the game faster

#899 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

You assume.....could be all fast scoring modes. .
I hope your right.
I may consider the premium. The LE looks cool but if it's 8k I think it's getting to crazy.

Yeah, I imagine that "mini modes" will be things like Hurry-Ups, Fast Scoring....perhaps objective completions like getting a few Super Jackpots, etc. The main modes will be traditional (timed?) missions like STTNG...some could be Multiballs. If I bite, I'm going Premium....unlesssssss there are still lots of LE's sitting with distribs and the price drops lol

#902 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I am.
I'm IN!

PARTY AT ROB'S!!!!!!!!!

#908 10 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

We'll find out soon but I get the feeling this is all about the lights. People wanted some innovation, and a game with an incredible light show inside it would be something unique.

...and Tron LE proved: WE LIKEY LIGHTS!!!!

#918 10 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

BSD, LOTR, Tron, all of them in my living room have 4 balls. It is fine.

I only have 2 and get no complaints!

#920 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Well I'd have to sell a game anyways.
After playing ChrisS's GnR that is more on my radar. I do like the new ST movies though.
Problem with movie themes right now when Stern does them:
Voice actors not the same from the movies. BDK, TF, etc
DOTs ripped from movies - don't look great compared to custom like ACDC, Met

Stern hasn't been doing dot rips lately...even for movie stuff like Avengers. I've heard this will be custom....but I wouldn't be surprised if there's some movie mixed in. The great thing about space movie footage - black backgrounds...so, if they ripped clips of the ship flying around, those would look sweet on DMD.
Word is - voice clip pulls from the movies, so you'll have real actor voices!

#957 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Where do you guys think the lasers are coming from? I still don't think it I from the Enterprise as it is over the wire form.

Maybe they're in the asteroids? That would make sense. At first I thought they were just housings for the Vengeance flashers...but why not just use spotlights? This may be the answer...lasers in the asteroids!

#960 10 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

front of the ship, pretty sure, you can tell there is something there.

Oh yeah, that would make sense too!

#997 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

Bet people are gonna go pro due to cab and translite artwork

LOL...no. Pro has the weakest translite IMO, but to each their own. Even if I liked the Pro translite the best I wouldn't forsake the Premium features for it.

#1162 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Totally disagree! Why an LE version at all then? The LE buyers better get something much more for price differences. WoZ owners got literally nothing more.

...but there's the Premium. Stern Premium/LE is just like Jack's Standard/LE. Woz owners don't "literally" get nothing more...they get shaker, green trim, invisiglass, topper, apron - just like Stern Prem vs. LE. If you get a STLE you get different glass & decals, shaker, blue lit up rails, different lit up speaker panel. In both cases, playfield & game features are exactly the same.

#1171 10 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

Computer voice will be done by the woman that does it for the movies.

She died...but it's prob her official replacement for the franchise.

#1174 10 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Do you think the lack of a lot of specifics about the movie on the playfield and perhaps voice call outs is so that it has the broadest appeal vs only about the latest reboot of the franchise? so more generic Star Trek?

Nah, my guess - they wanted clarity vs. clutter...and if the licensor was only allowing them to use product style-guide stuff for the playfield, the route they went was better than making it look like another Avengers cut-n-paste.

Of course if I had to nitpick I'd change a few details and aesthetics on the playfield art, but overall I get what they were going for: Battle in space. You have the two ships w/ asteroids floating over space! The minimal starmaps & tech art make it a bit Trekkish....and the inserts and info are all very clear.

The characters/personality will come from the DMD & sound.

#1185 10 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

As if the premium has a normal price.
Facepalm.

If you buy from a "good" distributor, then ...yes...the Premium has a good price (IMO)

#1245 10 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I am happy no actors on the EE as it makes it timeless.

Spock and Uhura are on the front

#1246 10 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

All games sell out to Distributors.

Stones LE didn't
TF LE didn't (at least not for a year or so)

#1364 10 years ago

I hope one of the modes involves trying to get Kirk laid with as many alien babes as he can before the time runs out.

I was just thinking about how there are possibilities for some REALLY cool lighting FX if they embrace the color changing insert LEDs in an artistic way. For instance, how cool would it look if when you destroy the Vengeance & the inserts make a ripple explosion effect (yellow and orange maybe) that emanates from the ship outward.

There's the ladder of inserts that represent weapons/power. That would be cool if when those inserts are all charged, they pulse (white/blue or white/red) & the fire button also pulses the same color to clue the player that the FIRE button is used for that particular playfield feature. AC/DC's fire button is a color-changer, so I imagine ST's will as well.

#1431 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

You say this like you have seen the entire game? To each his own but I actually really like being immersed in a theme in its' entirety. I can't imagine buying a Hobbit Trilogy pin and the only image on the physical playfield is a plastic toy of Smaug that I battle. No other movie images on the playfield artwork, on the plastics, or other toys?
I'm glad there are folks willing to step up and give Stern their money for an LE just for the sake of having an LE. I'm sure Stern appreciates it too.

It's a little different than the norm playfield art concept, but no characters/ships on the playfield doesn't mean it's not going to immerse you in the theme. First of all - Star Trek - the setting is SPACE. Well, the playfield is...SPACE. It's got the two ships engaged in battle floating over the spacey playfield. As you play, it's gonna be playing Star Treky music, have Star Trek missions with characters talking, lasers zapping, computers bleeping, etc. There's no doubt it's going to thematically feel like Star Trek when you're playing it.

#1443 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Didn't someone already state (on this thread) that there is actually only one song used from the movies and the rest of the music was custom orchestral tracks? Not sure if that's true or not but I just tend to like more visuals on the playfield then callouts or music (or DMD graphics) to bring me into the theme. To each his own though. And if you think the setting for these movies was just empty outer space I think you missed something. And the poor Pro version has just 1 ship.

So buy a toy ship and attach it

I think the soundtrack will be good. David Thiel is on the job, and he's done spectacular work when using movie score accompanied by his own tracks. It gives him a springboard and he matches the tone exactly. Tron & Ironman are a good example of this. Much of the IM music is movie score, but Whiplash MB & War Machine MB (and prob some other tracks) are Thiel originals. Tron has a few Daft Punk tracks but lots of Thiel originals that fit perfectly.

#1447 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

It looks like it lays low enough to become a bash toy to me. That is probably why the front has a cutout.

I'm betting not. Bashing a downed ship doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm sure that "cut out" is just something to do with how it's mounted/assembled.

#1450 10 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

Yes I did. It is true. From Thiel himself.

You can get a lot of mileage out of "one song" from a movie score....he could probably get 4 or 5 good loops out of it that work in various parts of the game. Tron uses 3 Daft Punk songs but they're broken up and looped.

#1454 10 years ago
Quoted from jathomp22:

Maybe when you hit the "Fire" button the laser lights will project some kind of photon torpedo from the flippers up to the ship on the playfield causing a hit and shaking the ship.

I think the Fire Button is essentially there for functions that would normally be on games with gun handles. Like STTNG, you can use the fire button to pick a mission. Maybe like Monster Bash you can use the button for a "smart bomb"....it's just on the lockbar because this game has a plunger. I think that's more intuitive for players if that button is flashing right in front of them. Whenever people come over, they never know to grab the gun handle for anything on STTNG or know that MB has "smart bombs". I imagine you'll use the button to use your powered up weapons in in this game, represented by the power insert "ladder" in the middle. Maybe you'll need that to finish modes, destroy the Vengeance's sheilds before hitting it with the final shot for Super Jackpot...who knows, lots of cool possibilities for sure.

#1458 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I think its going to be for flushing the space toilet.

Kirk's gotta pee after banging all those space chicks! Flush for Super Jackpot!

#1460 10 years ago
Quoted from Blind_Willie:

Do lasers shoot out of the space toilet?

Yes, they call that a Space Bidet!

#1477 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Where does the Warp ramp go to? Looks like the ramp goes into the back nebula but where does the ball return?

It loops it around to the right orbit... it goes to the upper flipper where you can loop it as many times as you can.

#1673 10 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

On a side note did Stern come out too early with ST since the franchise will continue past these two new reboot movies?

Not at all. It's a franchise pin, which means it's relevant for the duration of the franchise, past and present. POTC is first 2 movies. Iron Man is first 2 movies. Batman is first 2 movies (sort of lol). Avatar is 1 movie. Avengers is 1 movie. Doesn't matter if it contains all elements of the entire series.

#1805 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

You know what happens if those LE's that you say don't sell? All those People waiting for premiums will be waiting for a while. How many Avengers premiums are out there???

Mmmmm...I dunno if it's a fair comparison. Avengers had a lot of reasons why people didn't want to bite on the LE, and the Premium hadn't even been shown yet. All versions of ST were shown in the announcement. I have a feeling plenty of people are gonna bite on the ST Prem, due to the reasonable price...and if word of mouth is good, the LE sales will be healthy/steady. I'm ready to jump on a ST Prem if some vids come out and it looks sweet. Actually - maybe that's part of the reason for price hike on LE...price was so close on Avengers LE and Prem, once the Prem came out - if anyone was interest in the game...why not just get an LE? With this massive price difference, there's a valid reason for people to buy the Premium when the LE's are still available.

#1824 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

Family Guy/shrek with the mini playfild
Dr who with the time expander
Sttng with the Borg

Dr. Who has the Tardis...I dunno, that's kind of a toy hehe.
Family Guy also has the beer can
STTNG has cannons!

Quoted from coasterguy:

MM
AFM
POTC
CV
IM
Im sure their is more I'm missing.

MM has castle & trolls
POTC has the tortuga spinner & heart chest
CV has the Ringmaster, juggler, menagerie ball
IM has Monger & War machine kickback (does that count?)
Avatar has AMP suit and Link lock (kind of a toy...Link pod closes on the LE...it's interactive either way)

#1825 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

How is comparing one pin to another (from the same Manufacturer no less) comparing apples to oranges??

It's a Whitestar game vs. a SAM game...both from Stern, but very different feel, play and sound. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE TSPP and LOTR (both Whitestar games), but SAM games just feel better. Flippers & slings are stronger. Audio is crisp and clear voices with "real" music and not low quality midi style.

#1830 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

TSPP is the clunkiest, cheapest feeling game Stern ever made. It also has the absolute worst sound package of any DMD game IMO. Only great software saved this game. The new Premium games like ACDC, MET and ST have much higher bill of materials than TSPP and are much sturdier, more highly polished machines.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. I've had 2 TSPP's and they've both felt solid and fine. I think it's an excellent sound package, just suffers from Whitestar's quality. It's about the level of a pre-DCS WPC game...kinda like Addams...but with slightly clearer voices and WAY more samples. Lots of good bass, too. What it lacks in quality, it makes up for in good (at least Simpsons appropriate) musical compositions from Chris Granner. I can come up with a TON of worse DE & Sega sound packages...especially Sega. Those are also Whitestar but most of the compositions and "instruments" are pretty terrible. As far as Stern Whitestar DMDs go - T3 is the worst IMO. Just poor music compositions that aren't helped any by Whitestar.

#1831 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Exactly ... and every one of those games has more going on than ST. POTC? Yep, sinking ship (which is pretty damn cool IMO), but what about the Kraken behind the ship? The 'Heart' treasure chest? Spinning disk? Give me a break. And are you really suggesting Avatar was a winner? I guess I meant ONE main toy and no other toys interacting with the ball (like I believe I'm seeing on ST).

Avatar's super fun despite being a cheap-era Stern game. Tron and IM are from that same 'run'...they all worked despite the cutbacks.

Steve Ritchie's games aren't generally chock full of toys. Spider-Man kind of doesn't have any real toys....Sandman & Doc Ock are kind of just ball blockers that move up and down. Venom and Goblin are just decoration, really....but it wins due to great design, play, and rules. So, if the Vengeance ship has lots of movement 'animation', acts as a ball lock, fires balls back at you, does something cool rules-wise with it's drop target and magnet - it would probably be one of Steve's most versatile toys in terms of parts & mechanics. Couple that with (hopefully) great rules, a potential amazing light show, and a great shooting design...it does have all the elements of a winning game.

#1834 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Why is it you can't debate this objectively instead of only lobbing personal attacks? Is there not enough of an RGP feel for you here?
Tell me why a single interactive toy (no matter how complex) is enough to make this as good as other recent hits like MET and AC/DC? The player versus the USS Vengence sums up 'Star Trek' and the 2 latest movies? How do you think they might get 6 modes out of this? Because I personally don't think "Shoot the right ramp 3 times and then the 'Warp' ramp to complete such and such mode is much fun.
I am interested to hear what your imagination sees when you look at this playfield. Speculate please.

The combinations of shots and possibilities for mode rules are endless....it's just up to the programmer. Look at LOTR's playfield. Pretty standard layout...but man, the code gives it an insane amount of variety. There could be "shoot the lit shots" rules, combo rules, shoot-this-shot-to-light-that-shot rules...anything! One thing that could be super interesting is the use of the color changing Star Fleet inserts, esp cuz the Pro has them, too. They could even have "Q*Bert" type rules to modes...shooting the shots to get all the inserts the same color.

#1838 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Thank you for your thought provoking and well-thought-out argument (and analysis) of what you see.

CraZ - your reaction reminds me of my own to AC/DC. It was one of my dream themes, and when I saw the initial pics I was like WTF?!?!?! When I first played it, I was slightly underwhelmed as well...but then after a few code updates - gamechanger. AC/DC may look like a typical rehash fan layout....but it's like no other game I've played. A "been there done that" layout isn't a bad thing at all if it plays great & coupled with great code, sound & lights. Believe me if you play this game and you just keep wanting to hit start over and over again - you'll get over your initial impression.

Tron LE's another one....when I first saw it, I actually cancelled my pre-order...INSANE in retrospect. Now that I have it, it's pure magic...it's never leaving my collection.

#1839 10 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Wasn't interested in this thread at all until you brought up Q*Bert.

LOL....and hey, David Thiel (ST's composer/sound designer) programmed the sound for Q*Bert...that would be cool of there was some subtle connection to his classic game hehe

#1997 10 years ago
Quoted from Napabar:

The box that the Vengeance and spring sit on looks different in these hi-res photos of the pro vs. premium/LE. Looks like a door is sprung up on the Premium/LE, while the Pro just looks very different, I.E. not the door being in the down position.

The Prem/LE has an open front cuz the ship's mech allows it to fall forward when it crashes. The Pro doesn't have that mech, so it just has a plastic screwed into the front. It's not a door.

#2038 10 years ago
Quoted from Napabar:

But all 3 models are supposed to have the Vengeance shoot balls back at you. I assumed that was from inside the box. A magnet release doesn't seem to meet the description of:
"USS Vengeance" Disintegrator, Super-Speed Ball Kicker Protects Ship & Fires Balls

I don't think they literally shoot out of the Vengeance...Sterns playfields dimple enough! I'm guessing the lane under the ship feeds to a Megatron-ish ball lock/VUK. That's where the balls will lock/shoot. I imagine that mech will be the same on the Pro (on or below playfield) and its the ship's movement mechs that will differ between the versions.

#2082 10 years ago
Quoted from Napabar:

Right, the the Megatron-ish ball lock/VUK has to be the box! Where else could it be? So why do they look different between Pro and Premium/LE?

No, not in the box. The box has the ship movement stuff. Since the ship doesn't move as much, there's just a flat plastic on the front of it on the Pro. I think the ball lock/VUK is UNDER the playfield. Ball goes thru that center lane, locks in a VUK underneath.

#2137 10 years ago
Quoted from CarShark:

The problem is that with Stern leaking out only dribs and drabs, people aren't sure whether it'll be worth it, not with two (really four) major questions left hanging:
1) Is there an LCD behind the speaker panel, or is one planned?

No, that was never a question left hanging. It's been known for months that it was a DMD. The pictures show a DMD. It's a DMD lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-1?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.