lol.jpg
asteroid.jpg
image.jpg
side_by_side.jpg
mini.jpg
st_zps968154a7.jpg
Mini-Red-Green-Laser-Lightings-Laser-P.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider purpledrilmonkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Three Versions
Pro Version: $5,395 (MSRP)
Premium Version: $7,495 (MSRP)
Limited Edition Version: $8,795 (MSRP)

Features list: http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/Games/startrek/Star%20Trek%20Pinball%20Features.pdf

Pinball News Link: http://www.pinballnews.com/games/startrek/index.html

StarTrek_Prem.jpgStarTrek_Prem.jpg

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Both of you were slow by over a minute and half ; )

I figured this would have been up already but the video post on facebook was 7 seconds old so I thought, hey why not.

I'm pausing all over the place trying to grab screens of the PF

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

Umm. Why did someone hoax us and re badge an AFM?

Ummm yeah cause AFM has a third flipper on the right, side shot ramps and standups, and a VUK shot on the left.

I'm not convinced it's as original as Avengers in layout, but it's not an AFM clone.

#52 10 years ago

in case no one spotted it yet (thread's growing fast)

0:32

KICKBACK ON THE LEFT OUTLANE

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from FiveSixPyro:

Awesome thanks for creating this thread now you have the responsibility of editing the initial post to include all confirmed features. muuahahaha

Haha im already compiling

#115 10 years ago

Site is wicked slow but I'm trying to update the main post. No VUK on the pro by the looks of it? Anyone noticed that?

#169 10 years ago

I find the least appealing feature is the playfield artwork and overall look... The top of the PF looks fine - industrial, somewhat cold, dark... then as you move towards the flippers everything gets very 'pastel' and soft. I think it would have done wonders to keep the artwork very crisp and 'tech' with clean lines and bold colors like most of the new show is shot in.

The Enerprise in the new flick is bright, black and white, bold, and theres sharp tech all over the place. This PF look kinda reminds me of a saturday morning cartoon. It's not bad art... just doesnt seem to fit as well as it could imo.

Looking forward to playing it myself. 10 years ago if someone said we'd get another Star Trek pin we'd all have laughed and dreamt of it, knowing the industry would be gone by then. We're lucky to have anything compared to where we were headed years ago, and if it costs 10K by Xmas, so be it. I can't afford it, but if others can, play on!

Oh, also needs moar lens flare...

#170 10 years ago

Oh snap my thread is gonna get even more hits now!

Aaaaaaand go!

Hahahaha

#175 10 years ago

Just thinking outloud... I never thought this pin would have an LCD, but being that it sure looks to be 'playing it safe' i'm actually surprised they DIDN'T toss in an LCD to push it into someone's 'omg must have' zone.

Still think it looks fun, but I think every new pin looks fun so that means nothing haha.

#232 10 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

The PF was really bugging me, so I spent literally less than 10 minutes tweaking the color palette to what I was imagining before it was released. Really wish that they would've done some less is more editing, but not sure if the crazy color palette they did has demonstrable returns when the game is on route.
Not sure that this will do any good other than me whining, but wanted to at least get it out of my system.

wow that looks damn cool. Definitely more along the lines I pictured.

#328 10 years ago

Dunno if anyone else confirmed this but as I suspected there is no VUK on the Pro.

VUK.JPGVUK.JPG

#334 10 years ago

The more i look at the upper flipper, the more i realize what a drain monster using it could be. The lock targets are just asking for trouble and I don't know how easy (or again safe) they will all be to shoot from the lower right flipper.

On top of that, the ramp looks to be at a steep angle to the flipper location.... I mean the opening is wide from post to post, but from the angle of the flipper it sure cuts down some... Looks like a similar ramp openng as HS or STTNG, but the upper flipper seems lower down the PF to me.

Maybe its just the stitched pic

#338 10 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

Ya so the Pro probably has a virtual lock and the Prem/EE has a physical lock.

It could still be a physical lock like Firepower.

Also, it looks kinda like the kickback could possibly be combo'd into the Away Team shot...?

#380 10 years ago

Added a couple rumors and pricing to original post.

-LED's on PRO model
-LE's limited to 750 units

#491 10 years ago

Removed pricing info. Too many different numbers floating around right now.

I think the comment regarding the PF art not standing on its own is pretty spot on. If you pull the toys off, its almost a generic pinball machine. I think a bit more could have maybe been done without resorting to photoshop pics - there are tons of screens and displays in the movie where they have this "line drawn galaxy" looking stuff going on, but its not all pastel and rainbow like. Again, I wouldn't say this art is in any way bad, it just feels off. *shrug* for all we know the license prevented much else.

Overall I think the game looks like tons of fun, probably a bit derivative of STTNG, but I dislike widebodies almost exclusively so this could be a winner from a gameplay perspective. I won't be buying as I'm currently happily holding my breath for Metallica code and I'll only be buying complete-ish games from now on.

#496 10 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

Paying over 8k for this LE is nuts. I just don't see enough to warrant that price or........ Like people are hoping some more amazing info will be revealed soon. What kind of prices are people getting on these games?

I've seen anything from $7700 to $9000 USD mentioned with nothing to really back it up.... the Europeans were looking at even more (although they have taxes and whatnot in there too.)

#580 10 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Ok enough with woz... back to stng....
Can anyone tell me what this clear window is?

A clear insert for flashers?

#599 10 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

I can't believe I just read through 12 pages of posts of people bitching and criticizing a game they have never played or even seen in person.

Well, if it were the other way around, it would be 12 pages of people saying OMG BEST EVAR! 20k BY XMAS... and then there would be complaints about 12 pages of people praising and loving a game they have never played or seen in person.

#1189 10 years ago

Updated original post to link to actual confirmed info. Removed all speculation junk.

Odd that between the two playfields the premium drops balls from the habitrails above the inlane switches, and the pro drops them on the switches for extra wear...

I think static pics of the pro playfield look better due to the colored inserts. Hopefully in person the led lighting thru clear inserts holds up as it kinda looks 'faded' in static pictures.

#1193 10 years ago

Until I see this laser projection thing and the crash sequence this is a pass for me, but I can't wait to play it.

Looks great, but I won't be content with a pro, and my Metallica purchase stemmed from loving the band.

#1567 10 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

Unfortunately, Ive read the whole thing. Here is a summation:
Yuck!
Doesn't look so bad.
Im out.
Wait, Im in!
More bullshit..
And there is a guy that sounds like a broken record.
Edit: Forgot to sprinkle in lots of LCD references. Lots of them.
Hope that helped.

Haha yup i'm pretty happy with how its all turned out.

#1627 10 years ago

I don't get the theory that the LE should have $1500 worth of upgrades... No, the cost to Stern is substantially less because within that $1500 there has to be a) profit b) cost recovery for the time and energy put into the LE features. Sure the speaker panel, or side rails maybe cost 50 bucks each, but someone had to draw them, get them approved for the license, have some prototypes made, likely redraw or re-prototype... Etc...

The only balance in pricing comes with the end user. The question isn't "what cost stern $1500 more" it's "can the end user change a premium (or pro) to an LE (or premium) for $1500?" My guess is, no you cannot easily break even on that endeavour.

#1644 10 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

Something in the universe loves me. Something in the universe loves the entity that is me. I will choose to call this something, "God." A singular spark that dwells in the soul of every living being. If you look inside yourself, you will find this spark too. You will. But you have to look deep. Love your faults. Embrace them. If God embraces them, then how can they be faults? Love yourself. You have to love yourself. If we don't love ourselves, how can we love others? And when we know what we are, then we can find the truth about others, see what they are, the truth about them. And you know what the truth is, the truth about them, about you, about me. Do you? The truth is we are all perfect. Just as we are. God only loves that which is perfect, and he loves you. He loves you because you are perfect. You are perfect just as you are. BALTAR

Wrong sci-fi

Although a BSG pin would be a buy for me...

#1645 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

And what if the Earth gets hit my a killer asteroid tomorrow? Give me a break. 799 being made! That is twice as many as TRON LE! IF .. and that's a BIG IF (you have some seriously high expecations of a laser light show) ... this is as big a hit as TRON LE, do you really think the value would ever hit that of TRON LE with twice as many games out there? STLE will not be a rare game by any means. If you don't care about losing value/money then fine, enjoy. But I seriously think all pinheads who love this hobby should take a damn stand and say enough is enough.
I have a Shrek pin. GREAT game if you're all about game play (I do like the theme though too). ONLY 600 were ever made. 25% less than STLE. I guess my Shrek should be worth at least 7-8K now too (it's still minty new) in comparison.

Your Shrek is worth what someone pays for it. STLE is worth what someone will pay for it. One is apparently worth 8k, the other isn't. Rarity doesn't directly correlate to value, it can assist but it isn't the only driver for it.

I have 2 Viza 'War' machines in my garage... They only made 200 so they must be worth $20k by your logic? Let it be known, for the bargain price of $200 these ultra rare limited availability machines can be yours to flip.

#1660 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Thank you for stating the obvious. The point I was making that you overlooked is that this hobby has gotten completely out control and completely irrational.

That's your opinion. In my opinion it's thriving like never before seen in the last 15 years. Are prices out of my range? You bet, but so are the prices of the new fancy spots cars, game consoles, etc.... We all have priorities, and if 8k machines sell out, they are worth 8k, regardless of your or my opinion.

More now than ever if STLE sells out. Shrek is a proven fun game (assuming you think the 'Family Guy' layout/rules/play is fun.) There were no Pros, Premiums, or LE's. Only regulars and only 600 made. Very rare. Sells for 3K less than STLE? Heck, you can go buy a Black spiderman for 7K, also a fairly new and proven game (and fewer made).

So? Proven or unproven is obviously irrelevant. New is obviously 'better' and Something is only worth what someone pays for it. Take the new dodge viper. I love the car, but its tens of thousands more than the vipers of old which used to be a 'cheap super car' - it certainly is not anymore, thus it continues to be out of my price range. Times change, so either pony up the cash or wait for prices to plummet like Avengers LE.

This is so messed up with STLE. I think there has never been a better time than now to stand up to Stern and say 'Screw you Stern' we're sick of being gouged.

I think there will be a better time... When your usage of the phrase "we're sick of being gouged" doesn't actually mean "I'm sick of being gouged". Just because you're upset doesn't mean 799 others are. The beauty of LEs is you have a LIMITED number of people to impress

And not just Stern I suppose ... the speculators. The folks hoarding games (including distributors) because they expect to automatically make 25% on their money by hoarding LE's.
STLE ... just say 'No'.

Not really germane to the discussion IMO. Hoarding or speculating machines for profit is not something stern will ever curb completely until the industry contracts again. No one buys a new car expecting to make money (I hope) and when the market for LE machines calms down the same will follow for pinball machines in theory.

#1675 10 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

You're of course right: that's true regarding purchasers of ANY expensive impulse buy, wherein the purchasers are CLEARLY deciding with their hearts instead of heads.

100% correct, and its not Stern's responsibility to govern this. In fact, like it or not, it's in their best interest to exploit it unfortunately.

But if the game is genuinely HOT, once all is revealed, then everything will work out in the end. Really, even at this point, Stern doesn't NEED to convince anyone of anything.

Also correct. It's the consumer who needs to convince Stern that they are or are not out of line. Based on what I'm seeing I don't think that Stern is that stupid or arrogant here... Most of the complaints around price read like 'sour grapes' to me I'm afraid. The criticisms of the appearance or gameplay of the machine are always warranted IMO (Acdc pro is still ugly IMO, even if its a great game) but complaining about price and value forever and a day while machines continue to sell out makes no sense to me. If stern can convince 799 people to buy an 8k machine, why wouldn't they? Can I afford it? No, but I also can't afford a brand new car... I buy used, as I will with this pinball machine.

Not everyone is entitled to a new 'everything' be it a car, house, pinball machine, etc... Sometimes new things are for others and the used version is for the rest of us.

#1677 10 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

Yes, it is ultimately the accountants who will decide the success/failure of Stern's pricing model...
... unless people feel shorted by being 'forced' to commit to an early purchase then experience buyer's remorse if the game isn't fun enough ( unlikely with the pedigree... But who knows?). Then the NEXT time, they might not take the bait, even if THIS time, by dollars and cents, Stern makes money.
So I'm saying I agree with you. Just as long as Stern is cautious not to hurt long term sales for short term. And I dont have enough info to offer adequate opinion on that yet.

My only fear in all of this is stern may be contributing to this 'price bubble' which could/will eventually burst. The counter argument is that deep down I think this bubble will burst regardless of what stern does once this "2010 era" pinball fad fades away and they may as well snag the pinheads for as many dollars as they can while the getting is good.

Regardless, I think this game looks fun, and it may be 1, 5, 10, 20 years before I own it. I like STTNG and I have never owned it because its also too expensive for me right now and its ar from brand new. All I know is ill be spending a hell of a lot less than 8k on any pin moving forward, or else I will simply not buy any more pins period.

#1720 10 years ago
Quoted from Napabar:

Thanks for taking the lightning rod away from me and holding it for a while......

Hahaha well played

#1768 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

It is true that I had not differentiated the practices of Stern and its the distributors. Nevertheless, this same practice is not followed by JJP, whose distributors are required to refund pre-payments when asked.

Yes and JJP's system is also under fire 24/7 so really neither pre order system is working well.

It's almost like people shouldn't pre order at all...

#1770 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Yes, I can't see why that wouldn't be anyone's preference. I am not trying to defend pre-ordering per se. If I have to pre-order, however, I would like to be able to get my money refunded if I change my mind, and I would like to have the opportunity at least to see a video of gameplay while I still have the chance for that refund. That's all.

But that's the beauty of all this, you don't HAVE to pre order to get the LE gameplay. all the add ons are purely designed to part people from their money NOW. the Gripes with that business model are why the premiums exist now.

After tron le came out with no option for a late purchase premium model, Stern realized that the LE crowd was but one demographic of people with cash to burn. Since then, the premiums have ensured that people that want all the features can get them, and the pinheads who have to have it NOW and LIMITED will pay for it.

There's very few in-demand Limited Edition anything that last forever and don't require impulse buying. That's the whole point - "get it now before its gone", or else it's not limited at all. If they are available until the very last person decides "well maybe not" then it defeats the entire intent.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 25.50
$ 63.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 9.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider purpledrilmonkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-1?tu=purpledrilmonkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.