lol.jpg
asteroid.jpg
image.jpg
side_by_side.jpg
mini.jpg
st_zps968154a7.jpg
Mini-Red-Green-Laser-Lightings-Laser-P.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider carshark.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1465 10 years ago

When I heard about a starfield playfield projector, I thought of some kind of hologram. That would be cool and unique.

#2118 10 years ago

I have to say that, although I understand the disappointment that many are feeling about the playfield's familiarity, I'm not too bothered by it. As I figure, there are only really two layouts to modern machines now: two-flipper fans and three-flippers with side ramps. It'll be awfully hard to get away from that without going widebody.

#2135 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

People can buy now or later but Stern is not messing with folks. They are running a business and staying on plan.
We Pinheads are just wound a bit tight ; )

I don't think that's it. I think it is that many people have said that distributors only gave them 24 to 72 hours to pull their pre-order deposit once the table was officially announced by Stern. The problem is that with Stern leaking out only dribs and drabs, people aren't sure whether it'll be worth it, not with two (really four) major questions left hanging:

1) Is there an LCD behind the speaker panel, or is one planned?
2) What is this "Laser Starfield Playfield Projector" and what will it do?

Quoted from iceman44:

So the real difference is just the big cut out the "flipper" price hike....its only $$$$, you guys will have a very cool pin!

I think that is the main reason that it appears to not be selling out. The flippers were cut out, leaving just actual buyers, and seeing as how the majority opinion on what has been revealed of STLE so far appears to be "Meh," it isn't surprising to hear so many stories of people cancelling pre-orders and distributors having several left to sell. That's why I, like many others, are hoping for more info, because as of right now it's a big question mark.

#2140 10 years ago

Sorry I wasn't more clear with my earlier comments. I was talking about BOTH Stern only being interested in making them AND pinball players only really liking those types. I was definitely thinking of CSI's and Avengers' respective failures when making that statement.

In any event, I don't think the laws of physics limits nonSuperpins to only two effective designs.

I don't either, but can Stern really afford to try something that different? Can they afford NOT to? I don't envy Steve Ritchie's job, because he knows that the fans are looking at his work with very critical eyes. How long did it take STLE to go from "most anticipated pinball machine" to "STTNG/SM rehash"? 3 or 4 milliseconds?

Avengers and CSI struggled not because of poor layout, but of poor quality control and support.

I know of problems with the HULK drop targets, the HULK scoop, the HULK toy arm. Just the whole...HULK...area, really. I have not heard about any problems with CSI, though. What happened there?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 25.95
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 64.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Oklahoma City, OK
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider carshark.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-1?tu=carshark and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.