Topic Stats

• 2,205 posts
  • 390 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Eskaybee
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 121 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ST.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_0300.jpg
images13.jpg
image.jpeg
excited.jpg
$(KGrHqZ,!o4FIW)E(cPOBSImJiFFzg~~60_3..jpg
lol.jpg
asteroid.jpg
image.jpg
side_by_side.jpg
mini.jpg
st_zps968154a7.jpg
Mini-Red-Green-Laser-Lightings-Laser-P.jpg
image.jpg

There are 2205 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 45.
#2151 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Please come back when you've used headphones to listen to what's there. It's not stereo, but it's very good.
The WOZ soundtrack is what I'll hear in my personal hell, I'm pretty sure, so high fidelity is just twisting the knife a little deeper.

no, it's really not.. the audio in SAM games is terrible compared to modern anything... there is no reason why it can't be CD quality, instead we get less than 1/4 cd quality

#2152 6 years ago
Quoted from ignusfast:

People, don't record videos with the damned glass off!! All we hear is CLACK CLACK CLACK
Move along please, minor nerd rage bout.

How about the best of both worlds. If you can get the glass off how about turning up the game sound!

Still worth a thank you to whomever posted the video.

#2153 6 years ago
Quoted from ignusfast:

People, don't record videos with the damned glass off!! All we hear is CLACK CLACK CLACK
Move along please, minor nerd rage bout.

I prefer the glass off so you can see what's going on better. CLACKCLACKCLACK is just part of pinball, even with the glass on

#2154 6 years ago

Have any more HD videos surfaced?

#2157 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I'm ready for Resident Evil now.

Me too - but only based on the games, not the movies !

1 year later
#2158 4 years ago

Someone had said that the Game of Thrones thread reminds them of the Star Trek thread….

Here's a bump to the Star Trek thread.

Enjoy!

#2159 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

A whole lot of SM in there and I already own it!
Looks really cool but more of the same, can't wait to see what the price is......
This might be the first pre order pin I drop out of...........
I absolutely hate the Pro and premium art.......

Quoted from CMCVT1979:

That is a totally underwhelming art package, especially after MET

Quoted from DCFAN:

Just an observation, there almost is no playfield art. It is basically different colors merging together with some lines and very subtle star bursts.

This was just from page 2

#2160 4 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

For a guy that had like 1.5 years to design a game...my first reaction is..'that's it'?
And I agree about the art package...looks like something I could have drawn up

Yep lot of bashing of the art work going on!

#2161 4 years ago

MSRP of the pro went from 5,395 (taken from first post) to 5,995 on their website in a year

#2162 4 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

MSRP of the pro went from 5,395 (taken from first post) to 5,995 on their website in a year

Yeah that's a big jump.

#2163 4 years ago

Regarding the artwork:

Pro model - Probably what it should be. Nothing special, definitely not designed with the home user in mind.
Premium - Good artwork. Translight is fine, though Aurich's was definitely better. Overall, solid.
LE - Basic artwork, but flows together perfectly with the look of the machine.

#2164 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Yep lot of bashing of the art work going on!

Because the "art work" if you want to even call it that is horrible on stern Star Trek. I actually prefer GOT art work to ST. ST looks like someone ate a big bag of skittles then threw up all over the playfield. Simply dreadful

#2165 4 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Because the "art work" if you want to even call it that is horrible on Stern Star Trek. I actually prefer GOT art work to ST. ST looks like someone ate a big bag of skittles then threw up all over the playfield. Simply dreadful

I disagree with you. I don't think the artwork is as bad as you think it is.

#2166 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I disagree with you. I don't think the artwork is as bad as you think it is.

The cab and backbox art is pretty cool on the premium and LE models but the playfield, oh man

#2167 4 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

The cab and backbox art is pretty cool on the premium and LE models but the playfield, oh man

Why did you buy a pro if it was so terrible?

#2168 4 years ago

This does show that there is a lot more dislike towards GOT. 40'pages in 2 days about how bad GOT looks, nothing like that with ST.

#2169 4 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Star Trek was 2 years ago. and 5 or 6 titles later, each one creeps 100-200.

#2170 4 years ago

Can someone bump the initial ACDC thread too? how come Steve Ritchie's pin get the most flack out of the gate but the completed product is....get ready for it...top 10!! kachow! The king lives!

#2171 4 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

I'll stick with my Predator.

At least no one has said this in the GOT announcement thread yet.

#2172 4 years ago

ST isn't as ugly as GOT. ST's ugly playfield art is much more thematically appropriate than GOT. ST Pro and STLE are similar games, one was not chopped in half. No one here is complaining about how horrendous the backglass and side art are. Both games are getting knocked for trim choices. Comparing the reaction here to GOT isn't a fair comparison and claiming that previous SR games look as ugly, rushed, and chopped as GOT isn't correct IMO.

There are more complaints about layout here than GOT too, I don't see almost anyone complaining about the GOT LE layout. People don't like that it looks like STTNG. Surprise! The game that looks like a standard body of one of the best games ever turned out to be great!

#2173 4 years ago

I have a Pro. The spacey, almost generic color transition theme ended up working out great for it. GOT appears to have a lot of brown in its palette, which probably isn't going to work with the colored LED's you can use to make Star Trek stunning.

#2174 4 years ago

Looking through this thread it is amazing how similar the initial criticisms of ST are to GOT.

The playfield: is too colorful, too much photoshop, doesn't fit the theme, doesn't have characters on it, too similar to other games (in ST's case STTNG and AFM), etc.
The Display: No LCD, ST will be the last DMD
The price/value: Too expensive at all trim levels, features missing on the pro, better deals through JJP (even ST was compared with the Hobbit pre-order)
The back glass/side art: The backglass is terrible, no characters on the backglass (ST LE), etc.

I got a ST Prem and its a great game. Sure I replaced translight with an aftermarket one, and will probably get the colorDMD when the code is available, but other than that I don't think there is much to improve it. I also have confidence that GOT will be amazing.

#2175 4 years ago

I'm pretty sure there is a divided camp here/there. I'm a fan of not having the actors faces EVERYWHERE. on Stern ST; I feel like they listened to some degree. I really like the look of the STLE given they dropped most instances of the main chars and just featured the Enterprise.

For GOT; I'm not a fan of the show ... but it would seem that "the King" followed the minimization of actors in his art direction. The art is Blah to me... I don't really like the GOT art. But when you compare to hand drawn Kiss and Met cabs/pfs... there is definatly something missing in GOT.

#2176 4 years ago

Actually, I bought STLE NIB and ultimately sold it at a considerable loss. Not everyone is enamored of STLE.

#2177 4 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I just cancelled my LE order--which included prepayment, by the way, so I had every intention of buying the ST.

Quoted from Craig:

Each day I start to question all over again whether to buy. Each day I look for more information that might lead me to do so. Not today. Not with that video.

Dude you cancelled, reconsidered and decided not to reorder, then bought it anyway and were disappointed! I can feel your pain, but not TOO much of your pain.

#2178 4 years ago

If there were an accurate analogy vs GOT Pro, it would be ST Pro - no starship. Just a black hole of emptiness. Enjoy.

#2179 4 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Why did you buy a pro if it was so terrible?

Probably the same reason most people did. I LOVE the Star Trek theme certainly not because of the beautiful playfield

#2180 4 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Dude you cancelled, reconsidered and decided not to reorder, then bought it anyway and were disappointed! I can feel your pain, but not TOO much of your pain.

Nice detective work. Yes, I went back and forth and ended up buying it only to sell it a bit later. Oh, well. That's how it goes sometimes. It's hard to know what will have staying power until you've lived with it for a while. I understand why some people love ST, but it just wasn't for me--at least not for the long term with the amount of cash I had tied up in it. As I always say, it's a good thing that tastes vary so much in pinball. It results in a lot more variety and choice.

#2181 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Can someone bump the initial ACDC thread too? how come Steve Ritchie's pin get the most flack out of the gate but the completed product is....get ready for it...top 10!! kachow! The king lives!

I think Pinside forum was still fairly slow back when AC/DC was revealed. I think the majority of bashing on that one took place on RGP.

#2182 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I think Pinside forum was still fairly slow back when AC/DC was revealed. I think the majority of bashing on that one took place on RGP.

Enjoy!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-pics-are-starting-to-come-out

See post #28. What a let down yet ACDC pro is in his wishlist.

#2183 4 years ago

I always thought STLE looked amazing! It was created in a timeless fashion, the art will never be dated.

#2184 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Enjoy!

Only 8 pages long! Compare that to what we've seen with GOT, and even this thread (ST).

I love this one:

Quoted from smassa:

Ahh the sound of money staying in my Savings account.

LOL

And he turned into the biggest AC/DC fanboy of all!

And I called it Facey/DC.

#2185 4 years ago

I think it just goes to show the art doesn't make the game, but it does help a little.

It sounds like the rules for GoT maybe really really good. I can't wait to play the premium/LE

#2186 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I think it just goes to show the art doesn't make the game, but it does help a little.

A pin that doesn't have art as its primary focus can never be a collectible. Even Congo, a game initially derided for its theme (a bad movie) had fantastic art. Buy bad art at your own peril.

#2187 4 years ago

I am really let down by the artwork on GOT. I wish Stern would release their pre production artwork for feedback like JJP did with The Hobbit because that playfield went from zero to hero and its only because they listened to the pinball community. I think Stern should of thought about how this table is going to be compared to The Hobbit and needed to go all out on the playfield art or else end up looking like Bush League. They dont need to start from scratch just tweak on it like JJP did.

Quoted from Craig:

Actually, I bought STLE NIB and ultimately sold it at a considerable loss. Not everyone is enamored of STLE.

That is most likely because ST Premiums and Pro's are still being built - thus supply is very high. Once a popular game is out of production the price of the LE and Prem's can sometimes eclipse the purchase price or get close enough to it so it wouldn't be a considerable loss.

#2188 4 years ago

No doubt I would have been better off financially had I waited, but sometimes you just need to take your losses and move on. The only point I was trying to make is that tastes vary. I expected to, wanted to love STLE and didn't, though many do. The same range of opinions will exist in varying degrees for any new pin, whether GOT or TH.

#2189 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Only 8 pages long! Compare that to what we've seen with GOT, and even this thread (ST).

To be fair, Pinside is a lot bigger than it was 2 years ago when ST came out, and definitely when ac/dc came out before that.

#2190 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

To be fair, Pinside is a lot bigger than it was 2 years ago when ST came out, and definitely when ac/dc came out before that.

I think that was his point...

Quoted from RobT:

#2191 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Enjoy!

Wow! Read post #25. It was so long ago that even Robin could express an opinion! Should we ask what he thinks of GOT? Or have times changed too much?

#2192 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Yes. That was my point!

Edit: SKB beat me.

#2193 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

A pin that doesn't have art as its primary focus can never be a collectible.

So true.

#2194 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

A pin that doesn't have art as its primary focus can never be a collectible. Even Congo, a game initially derided for its theme (a bad movie) had fantastic art. Buy bad art at your own peril.

If you collect pins for art, then sure. I like pins for theme and gameplay. Art is nice but takes a backseat to the other two. Could be the most beautiful pin in the world, I will go look at one and "ooh aah", but would never add it to my collection if the gameplay sucked.

#2195 4 years ago

You guys should stop comparing ST to GOT and go back to the comparison's of the reaction to AC/DC and GOT at time of release. I say this because ST really isn't that great of a pin. It's an OK/average pin so comparing GOT to it isn't helping GOT any.

#2196 4 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

You guys should stop comparing ST to GOT and go back to the comparison's of the reaction to AC/DC and GOT at time of release. I say this because ST really isn't that great of a pin. It's an OK/average pin so comparing GOT to it isn't helping GOT any.

I'll point it out before someone else does:

ST currently sits at the number 9 spot in the Top 100 on Pinside.....right behind AC/DC at number 8.

So the point is that both ST and AC/DC have done very well overall, despite the initial bashing that both pins took on release.

#2197 4 years ago

To chime in as neither an owner of ST or ACDC, I much prefer ST and plan on getting a premium sometime soon. I would guess most prefer ACDC.........but to each their own, that's what makes the world go around. Who cares if someone prefers art, theme, or gameplay most??

#2198 4 years ago

The insert cluster in the middle of the playfield is the area that looks out of place for both STID and GoT. Compared to the rest of the playfield (which does look very nice) the insert cluster stands out almost as though it was done by a separate team. Compare STID and GoT with these other Stern pins, where the art is integrated really well:

image.jpg
image.jpg

#2199 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'll point it out before someone else does:
ST currently sits at the number 9 spot in the Top 100 on Pinside.....right behind AC/DC at number 8.
So the point is that both ST and AC/DC have done very well overall, despite the initial bashing that both pins took on release.

I pay no attention to the Top 100 on here as it can be manipulated by people to pump games. Take out the ratings from when it launched and look at the ratings after the first 6 months of release and you'll see it's ratings drop considerably once the newness falls off. Not looking to argue the quality of the pin but just a reason I think the pinside top 100 is a but of wasted server storage. Just for instance, look at Tron being at #19. It would be hard for someone to argue that collectively ST is that much of a better game. I'm just going off my experience in owning both titles though.

AC/DC - I get the "just one more play" mentality going on to where I keep hitting the start button even after a good game.
ST - After one or two games I'm done with it for the week. Just doesn't get my blood flowing like my other games.

#2200 4 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I pay no attention to the Top 100 on here as it can be manipulated by people to pump games. Take out the ratings from when it launched and look at the ratings after the first 6 months of release and you'll see it's ratings drop considerably once the newness falls off.

You are wrong.

Believe me, I am not one to defend ST's current rating at number 9 as I personally think that's a big high, but what you say is wrong because ST's ranking has steadily gone *up*, not down, with the passage of time.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 2205 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 45.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside