lol.jpg
asteroid.jpg
image.jpg
side_by_side.jpg
mini.jpg
st_zps968154a7.jpg
Mini-Red-Green-Laser-Lightings-Laser-P.jpg
image.jpg
There are 2,205 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 45.
#2101 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Don't you see what he's holding in his hands???! WHOA!!

My vision may not be so good as it used to but are those lasers?

#2102 10 years ago

We already know there are playfield laser projectors.....yawn.

#2103 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfanoz:

My vision may not be so good as it used to but are those lasers?

Not for a ST pro.

#2104 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Hmmm his last LE sure seems to be holding ST value over the premium.

Hmmm .. his last LE turned out to be a huge hit (far from a guarantee on any pin these days), had a total of 300 fewer LE's (and split between 2 different LE versions at that), had a much different price point and difference from the premium than ST, AND also had even less controversy than ST when first announced.

#2106 10 years ago

300 "fewer". 800 - 500 = 300 fewer LE's than ST.

#2107 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

300 "fewer". 800 - 500 = 300 fewer.

Yeah i know that's why i deleted the post.
Sorry for that.

#2108 10 years ago
Quoted from goodgameslover:

Yeah i know that's why i deleted the post.
Sorry for that.

Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

300 "fewer". 800 - 500 = 300 fewer LE's than ST.

Ya cause 300 units world wide is a huge number. If the game kicks ass like his last pin it will hold value. If it goes avengers or TF then ya I can see it dropping.

#2109 10 years ago

I've been back and forth on this LE vs Premium vs Pro for the past week and a half! I had made what I learned to be an "illegal" deposit back in May for an LE and today.....I sent in the rest! I know...Some might think I'm a complete idiot by buying a game that I've never seen or played for that matter! Am I insane?? I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that STERN doesn't screw me. I hate the silly marketing games they play! It was enough to almost make me withdraw completely from the project.

#2110 10 years ago

If your a complete idiot for buying a STLE then I am one too but I think it's safe to say we are not alone.
Seems a bunch of us is on that boat, I just hope it's not the RMS Titanic of pinball. We all know how that ended.

#2111 10 years ago

I think youz guys will be just fine...

#2112 10 years ago

It is only pinball. Why do we continue to judge each other? I pre-ordered WOZ ECLE and The Hobbit LE. I think it is perfectly fine that others order what they enjoy. I think ST is a great theme! If a pinhead can afford a pin and wants to take on the risk of a pre-order, so what?

I understand that both JJP and Stern have annoyed folks with their policies. But let's stop the name-calling for folks who have pre-ordered games.

#2113 10 years ago
Quoted from Napabar:

Steve finds your lack of faith....disturbing.

This being posted from Napabar... I'm guessing that's not even the real Steve Ritchie.

: P

(This is a StarTrek thread so you're still going to take some lumps!)

#2114 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I'm beginning to think maybe FF from RGP somehow got an account on pinside...

I have no idea who that is. Is that a compliment?

#2115 10 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

This being posted from Napabar... I'm guessing that's not even the real Steve Ritchie.
: P
(This is a StarTrek thread so you're still going to take some lumps!)

Steve wanted an 80", 3-D, 4K LCD, but Gary nixed it. Something about cost.

#2116 10 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

However who ever thinks their marketing is "brilliant" I have to question.

That's me, and I think what they are doing is funny as hell. ST will sell (or not) on it's own merits. Hell, I'd love to be able to pre-order STLE, but I'll just have to do with sitting back and enjoying the lead-up to the big reveal.

#2117 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I think youz guys will be just fine...

I think by definition, if what they see (those guys who have purchased the LE based on what little is known despite the price) makes it worthwhile for them, and they're not doing anything illegal or unethical to obtain the funds, then it's the right choice.

It's just torture for many others of us for whom we WANT it to be the right choice...
... but we need a little more info. We're looking for an excuse to LOVE this pin, and it ain't there just yet.

But for those who went ahead and bought the LE because based on what they've seen, it's worth the "risk" of (GASP) buying a pin that might devalue in a few years because they love the designer and theme, then more power to them. It does mean that it is ever so slightly more likely that I will have to "settle" for a Premium if the Big Reveal by Stern shows something I want, but I can live with that. It's worth it to me to lose the chance at an LE for ca $1400 more to get more info.

#2118 10 years ago

I have to say that, although I understand the disappointment that many are feeling about the playfield's familiarity, I'm not too bothered by it. As I figure, there are only really two layouts to modern machines now: two-flipper fans and three-flippers with side ramps. It'll be awfully hard to get away from that without going widebody.

#2119 10 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

I have changed my Avatar. I am officially excited about this game.

I'm officially excited about your avatar.

#2121 10 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

If I had ordered I would be tempted to cancel after seeing this. Do Stern want customer's money???

I guess they think its funny? Don't forget though, they told us they are the "only makers of REAL pinball machines in the world" so what are you gonna do?

#2122 10 years ago

For the people that bought the LE why worry? Great theme and Ritchie and proven layout with what appears to have an awesome light show...........downside, code unknown, what's new there? So the real difference is just the big cut out the "flipper" price hike....its only $$$$, you guys will have a very cool pin!

#2123 10 years ago

Damnit! I have to go to work now.
How am I going to keep my mind off this?

IMG_0300.jpgIMG_0300.jpg

#2124 10 years ago

Are people that upset about a teaser video? I guess I should be irrate after each Breaking Bad episode when they tease the next episode. Stern can release info when they want, how they want. That goes for almost every type of consumer product. I found it very funny how they teased it and shows they have a good sense of humor.

#2125 10 years ago

"Jackpot" voice sounds like he's about 16...

#2126 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

"Jackpot" voice sounds like he's about 16...

Yeah, that had me concerned to be honest -the "jackpot" voice is the player, not the pin, correct?

#2127 10 years ago

that sounds like the "voice of the computer".

#2128 10 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Yeah, that had me concerned to be honest -the "jackpot" voice is the player, not the pin, correct?

haha, i hope so too. Lets see some dots now.

#2129 10 years ago
Quoted from dantebean:

Are people that upset about a teaser video?

Folks here just go nuts on everything. After Met everyone said just make more LEs. They do it and take a beating. They post teasers on their FB and everyone acts like they are owed more.
Stern will have official launches and official videos. People can buy now or later but Stern is not messing with folks. They are running a business and staying on plan.
We Pinheads are just wound a bit tight ; )

#2130 10 years ago
Quoted from dantebean:

Are people that upset about a teaser video?

The more upset posts I see about it, the funnier it is to me.

I've never seen people so worked up over a teaser video.

#2131 10 years ago
Quoted from CarShark:

I have to say that, although I understand the disappointment that many are feeling about the playfield's familiarity, I'm not too bothered by it. As I figure, there are only really two layouts to modern machines now: two-flipper fans and three-flippers with side ramps. It'll be awfully hard to get away from that without going widebody.

Sad but true. Hopeful that increased competition changes this.

But right now, basically truth.

#2132 10 years ago

So this... this is the first ever video of a star trek pro?

#2133 10 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

Sad but true. Hopeful that increased competition changes this.

I think CarShark's point (which I agree with) is that there are a small handful of layouts that work well for standard-sized pins. That's physics, not business. Creative layouts like Avengers and CSI just seem to piss everyone off.

#2134 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I think CarShark's point (which I agree with) is that there are a small handful of layouts that work well for standard-sized pins. That's physics, not business. Creative layouts like Avengers and CSI just seem to piss everyone off.

From my perspective, recent attempts @ creative layouts fall flat because the company isn't giving the team enough time to fully bake the design (i.e. iterate). Sure, they simulate gameplay with software, but the simulation doesn't fully model the real world. The known layouts are just cheaper to produce, and Stern is being run by "bean counters" (which enabled them to survive the recession and thrive in a so-so economy). Fortunately, many B/W machines (among other) have creative layouts that give our collections some spice.

#2135 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

People can buy now or later but Stern is not messing with folks. They are running a business and staying on plan.
We Pinheads are just wound a bit tight ; )

I don't think that's it. I think it is that many people have said that distributors only gave them 24 to 72 hours to pull their pre-order deposit once the table was officially announced by Stern. The problem is that with Stern leaking out only dribs and drabs, people aren't sure whether it'll be worth it, not with two (really four) major questions left hanging:

1) Is there an LCD behind the speaker panel, or is one planned?
2) What is this "Laser Starfield Playfield Projector" and what will it do?

Quoted from iceman44:

So the real difference is just the big cut out the "flipper" price hike....its only $$$$, you guys will have a very cool pin!

I think that is the main reason that it appears to not be selling out. The flippers were cut out, leaving just actual buyers, and seeing as how the majority opinion on what has been revealed of STLE so far appears to be "Meh," it isn't surprising to hear so many stories of people cancelling pre-orders and distributors having several left to sell. That's why I, like many others, are hoping for more info, because as of right now it's a big question mark.

#2136 10 years ago

Ahahaha, they did it again.

#2137 10 years ago
Quoted from CarShark:

The problem is that with Stern leaking out only dribs and drabs, people aren't sure whether it'll be worth it, not with two (really four) major questions left hanging:
1) Is there an LCD behind the speaker panel, or is one planned?

No, that was never a question left hanging. It's been known for months that it was a DMD. The pictures show a DMD. It's a DMD lol

#2138 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I thought he was qualifying his statement with "modern" pins.

In any event, I don't think the laws of physics limits nonSuperpins to only two effective designs.

Avengers and CSI struggled not because of poor layout, but of poor quality control and support.

I think it is merely FAMILIARITY with those two designs which results in less need for prolonged testing to correct unanticipated consequences of a new layout, and hence less design expense.

#2140 10 years ago

Sorry I wasn't more clear with my earlier comments. I was talking about BOTH Stern only being interested in making them AND pinball players only really liking those types. I was definitely thinking of CSI's and Avengers' respective failures when making that statement.

In any event, I don't think the laws of physics limits nonSuperpins to only two effective designs.

I don't either, but can Stern really afford to try something that different? Can they afford NOT to? I don't envy Steve Ritchie's job, because he knows that the fans are looking at his work with very critical eyes. How long did it take STLE to go from "most anticipated pinball machine" to "STTNG/SM rehash"? 3 or 4 milliseconds?

Avengers and CSI struggled not because of poor layout, but of poor quality control and support.

I know of problems with the HULK drop targets, the HULK scoop, the HULK toy arm. Just the whole...HULK...area, really. I have not heard about any problems with CSI, though. What happened there?

#2141 10 years ago

CSI software development was aborted by Gary Stern, just like WOFs, and the resulting game is shallow and dull for the most part. WOF and CSI could have been great had GS not pulled the plug on them.

#2142 10 years ago
Quoted from CarShark:

I have not heard about any problems with CSI, though. What happened there?

There are NO problems with CSI. I just mentioned it as an example of a unique layout that didn't necessarily translate into a blockbuster game. Probably a bad example, since that theme only appeals to 10% of us anyway.

Quoted from metallik:

CSI software development was aborted by Gary Stern, just like WOFs, and the resulting game is shallow and dull for the most part. WOF and CSI could have been great had GS not pulled the plug on them.

The software for CSI is great, except for the absence of a real wizard mode. It's certainly not "shallow" once you consider the depth of the MBs. Plenty of goals, and they all stack if you start them in the right order.

#2144 10 years ago

First video I have seen that really shows any of the game play

#2145 10 years ago

I hope the Premium/LE have a physical ball lock, I don't like the virtual one. I LOVE that insert under the spinner!

#2146 10 years ago

I like the bonus count sound effect at the 31 sec mark - not sure the formal name for it (computer sound?)... but unmistakably Star Trek.

#2147 10 years ago

Game looks pretty cool to me but didn't blow me away.
Not being there in person, hearing the sound is one thing. I did like the call outs, and expect the wow factor to really set in when hitting those ramps.
This is the best video by far but still not displaying the flow that the game was designed to have.
Also looking forward to the LEDs on the LE as well as seeing the Vengeance battle.

#2148 10 years ago

People, don't record videos with the damned glass off!! All we hear is CLACK CLACK CLACK

Move along please, minor nerd rage bout.

#2149 10 years ago
Quoted from ignusfast:

People, don't record videos with the damned glass off!! All we hear is CLACK CLACK CLACK
Move along please, minor nerd rage bout.

Would you rather see the glare of the glass and not see what's going on on the playfield? That's more important to me than hearing the sound louder IMO.

#2150 10 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

I hope the Premium/LE have a physical ball lock, I don't like the virtual one. I LOVE that insert under the spinner!

That ball lock is the weakest thing I've seen in any of the videos so far. Weak.

Quoted from Chambahz:

Game looks pretty cool to me but didn't blow me away.
Not being there in person, hearing the sound is one thing. I did like the call outs, and expect the wow factor to really set in when hitting those ramps.
This is the best video by far but still not displaying the flow that the game was designed to have.
Also looking forward to the LEDs on the LE as well as seeing the Vengeance battle.

Being able to hear more sound effects, voices, and music (even with the glass off) is the most impressive thing about that video. I'm sure that he will start to get the shots down after playing some more and we can look forward to seeing another video soon!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 25.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,205 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 45.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-1/page/43 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.