lol.jpg
asteroid.jpg
image.jpg
side_by_side.jpg
mini.jpg
st_zps968154a7.jpg
Mini-Red-Green-Laser-Lightings-Laser-P.jpg
image.jpg
There are 2,205 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 45.
#1901 10 years ago

Maybe that's it! The meteors turn around and shoot the lasers! ...maybe?

#1902 10 years ago

All I know is work is done for the day, engage warp speed to the smashed quadrant.

#1903 10 years ago

I think you guys are onto what it basically is. Here is a link to an item from ebay of a cheap unit that probably does not rotate...but obviously it would not take much to modify it for rotation. It sure is cheap enough. I could not get the picture to copy to post it.

ebay.com link: Astro Star Laser Projector Cosmos Light Lamp

#1904 10 years ago

If it was easy to crank out high quality machines at a much cheaper price and still make a profit, someone would be doing it. Games cost a lot because it's an incredibly niche market and producing games is not only costly but risky. Comparing these titles to an era where a dud game would still sell thousands of units is unfair.

#1905 10 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

If it was easy to crank out high quality machines at a much cheaper price and still make a profit, someone would be doing it.

Apparently it is and they ARE and their name is Jersey Jack Pinball. I'm rooting for Stern to wake up and show us something new instead of something that at first glance appears almost insulting.

#1907 10 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

I believe that one is located behind each asteroid:

i have to agree with others, those look like flat led flashers, but i could be wrong.
also why would the ship shoot at himself?

#1908 10 years ago

Looks shit

#1909 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Apparently it is and they ARE and their name is Jersey Jack Pinball. I'm rooting for Stern to wake up and show us something new instead of something that at first glance appears almost insulting.

Well, you've been posting pretty much non-stop about your displeasure with STLE and the price, but I think we can say that at this point it's official: you are trolling.

#1910 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

What's more insulting...

A NIB ST from Stern that cost a stupid $8000?

Or

Paying for a game 3 fuc*ing years ago with shit to show for it today?

I'm glad Stern is here & I'm glad JJP is trying but right now things are the way they are.

#1911 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Stern produces multiple titles a year and can build them in high volume on short notice. JJP is years into their first title which they are struggling to not only complete, but to build and get to their customers. I don't think it's fair to compare the companies, they are at completely different stages.

And that's not a knock on JJP. It's more a point that running a successful company in this industry is not easy. That there are a lot of costs associated with this business, a lot of variables we tend to overlook. That maybe these companies aren't all evil, greedy bastards trying to destroy the hobby, but companies who are doing their best to keep it alive and the cost of their machines is due to the cost to keep their doors open. Not saying there aren't legitimate complaints, just that I don't think there is some devious motive behind all their decisions.

#1912 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

What's more insulting...
Or
Paying for a game 3 fuc*ing years ago with shit to show for it today?
I'm glad Stern is here & I'm glad JJP is trying but right now things are the way they are.

If "someone" paid 3+ years ago they had to know that they were in for a very long wait (or else they were a bit naive for not understanding what they were getting into.) It doesn't change the fact ... there is a new manufacturer in town and they are building a superior quality game for less than what Stern is now charging. Am I the only one who looks at the build quality on JJP's game(s) and wishes Stern would do something new? What exactly do you think Stern's profit margin is?

#1913 10 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

Stern produces multiple titles a year and can build them in high volume on short notice. JJP is years into their first title which they are struggling to not only complete, but to build and get to their customers. I don't think it's fair to compare the companies, they are at completely different stages.

I really wasn't comparing the companies ... just comparing their product and the quality therein. They are obviously at 2 very different stages of their company lives. However, when a new company just pops up and shows they can build a superior quality product, I question Stern's priorities between shoving money in their pockets and building a quality product they can be proud of.
On a side note ... in 3 years, when JJP is producing multiple titles a year and turning out machines much faster .. is that when Stern will suddenly decide to "up their game"? I just hope it happens at some point.

#1914 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

If "someone" paid 3+ years ago they had to know that they were in for a very long wait (or else they were a bit naive for not understanding what they were getting into.) It doesn't change the fact ... there is a new manufacturer in town and they are building a superior quality game for less than what Stern is now charging. Am I the only one who looks at the build quality on JJP's game(s) and wishes Stern would do something new? What exactly do you think Stern's profit margin is?

No dude

Jack said 2011 Holiday delivery. In January 2011 he said the boards were done FTW!

He said right to my friends face, a gentleman with a preorder, in early 2012, that WOZ was 90 days out. He made promises to me in 2012 as well for my preorder money.

I don't believe Jack was naive nor the buyers. I think Jack says what it takes to drum up preorders & the pitch has been "90 days" for 2 years now.

Like it or not that's my opinion & it's been IMO accurate for several years now.

I have an opinion about ST too that we would certainly agree on.

Back on topic

We need more pics of this game

#1915 10 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Five flippers.
Mini playfield with custom molded couch lock.
Three ramps.
Three drop targets with saucer.
Garage door.
Nuke pop bumper caps.
Hand drawn art.
TV LED display.
Mode display board.
Lighted, rotating Homer head.
Captive ball with moving Bart figure on skateboard.
Metal habit rails.
Multiple stationary figures.
Notice, I'm not talking about game play, rules or sound as some people hate it and some people love it. Just what is physically in the game.
So, you tell me. What is in ST that makes it's price so reasonable at $6500 for the premium, which was my original point?
Edit: let me add that I love Steve Ritchie's games (you'll notice I own a few). I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the relative values. I think the programming and sound are really going to have to come together to knock this one out of the park and make it worth what on the surface look like "not too reasonable" prices.

Give me A game like SM with its 2 toys that really don't do anything over TSPP any day. I'm glad many of you like TSPP and maybe it has more custom stuff in it but I buy a Pin cause its fun to play, not cause it is cluttered with crap that does nothing but slow the gameplay down.

#1916 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Which is what? Explain in the PBW way.....

#1917 10 years ago

I like new. Think I am going to sell my AFM and try some new Ritchie.

#1918 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Give me A game like SM with its 2 toys that really don't do anything over TSPP any day. I'm glad many of you like TSPP and maybe it has more custom stuff in it but I buy a Pin cause its fun to play, not cause it is cluttered with crap that does nothing but slow the gameplay down.

Both are fun to play, I've owned SM for a long time and want a TSPP too.......not "cluttered with crap"...

#1919 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I really wasn't comparing the companies ... just comparing their product and the quality therein. They are obviously at 2 very different stages of their company lives. However, when a new company just pops up and shows they can build a superior quality product, I question Stern's priorities between shoving money in their pockets and building a quality product they can be proud of.
On a side note ... in 3 years, when JJP is producing multiple titles a year and turning out machines much faster .. is that when Stern will suddenly decide to "up their game"? I just hope it happens at some point.

You are comparing the companies. Like I said, if it was easy to throw together a high quality product, price it low, and make money, more people would be doing it. The fact that JJP has had so many problems is a clear sign that this is a difficult industry to survive in. I truly feel the costs for these machines are in line with the costs associated with them.

If JJP is able to produce multiple titles a year, produce them fast and at a superior quality, and price them more affordable, that's great. But as it stands they haven't shown they can and it's incredibly presumptuous to assume they will.

#1920 10 years ago

I think you guys are onto what it basically is. Here is a link to an item from ebay of a cheap unit that probably does not rotate...but obviously it would not take much to modify it for rotation. It sure is cheap enough. I could not get the picture to copy to post it.
Ebay link

Interesting...

side_by_side.jpgside_by_side.jpg

#1921 10 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

If JJP is able to produce multiple titles a year, produce them fast and at a superior quality, and price them more affordable, that's great. But as it stands they haven't shown they can and it's incredibly presumptuous to assume they will.

Not really......

#1922 10 years ago
Quoted from Napabar:

I noticed those too last week. I assumed they are flashers....for effect when fighting the Vengeance.

Those look like regular LED flashers in the asteroid. Similar to this:
http://shop.cointaker.com/product.sc?productId=1502&categoryId=8

I think the asteroids might be used to reflect the laser light though. Why else would they make them so shiny (like a disco ball). Seems odd to make it so reflective and big just to hide that flasher. If you shined a laser pointer on it and rotated it or jiggled it back and forth a little it would probably give a "starry" effect. Is this was the case then the projector would be in the apron?

#1923 10 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Those look like regular LED flashers in the asteroid. Similar to this:
http://shop.cointaker.com/product.sc?productId=1502&categoryId=8
I think the asteroids might be used to reflect the laser light though. Why else would they make them so shiny (like a disco ball). Seems odd to make it so reflective and big just to hide that flasher. If you shined a laser pointer on it and rotated it or jiggled it back and forth a little it would probably give a "starry" effect. Is this was the case then the projector would be in the apron?

I agree that this seems like the best explanation I've heard so far. I also wouldn't be surprised if there is a conventional laser behind the forward saucer piece that obviously comes off the main body of the saucer.

#1924 10 years ago

Which is what? Explain in the PBW way.....

3 hours until GTA... You will miss me while I'm gone

I'm kind of a big GTA fan some folks would say

You will always wonder what PW79 meant but he was too busy doing ill shit in a digital sandbox to ever clarify

image.jpgimage.jpg

#1925 10 years ago
Quoted from Napabar:

Interesting...

There are dozens of these on the market now. The high end ones project actual constallations while the low end ones just give a "star effect". I like this one which I've seen before ... it combines laser pinpoints for the stars and separate lights to generate blue clouds (nebula.) It just looks kind of cool project on your ceiling. I just can't imagine it adding more than a "neat" effect. I think the USS Vengenece is what will make or break this game (but I need to see a lot out of it.)

http://www.amazon.com/Laser-Stars-Indoor-Light-Show/dp/B000VBNIP2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_3

I'm with others though ... I don't know how Stern can take a laser projector like these and just throw it in a game and get it certified? Shiny, reflective pinballs flying around and this is safe?? There are so many warnings on these laser projector products about looking at the lights directly or pointing them at other people. You'll burn your eye out kid!

P.S - Guess what the newst mod for STTNG is going to be?? And only $125 to get this "innovative" starfield projector added, lol.

#1926 10 years ago
Quoted from Napabar:

Interesting...

Looks like a puny incandescent bulb to me. No lasers that I can see.

#1927 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

You will always wonder what PW79 meant

Oh I know what the PW means and I'm guessing you've been "pw" since 1979?

#1928 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Oh I know what the PW means and I'm guessing you've been "pw" since 1979?

No I meant the explanation of my comments not what PW79 represents

This reminds me of a scene in Bad Santa lol

(NSFW Don't click the link if you are unable to hear profanity)

#1929 10 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

You are comparing the companies. Like I said, if it was easy to throw together a high quality product, price it low, and make money, more people would be doing it. The fact that JJP has had so many problems is a clear sign that this is a difficult industry to survive in. I truly feel the costs for these machines are in line with the costs associated with them.

So many problems? Not really, the few minor problems that existed have been addressed and game production is coming along nicely. I bought a NIB Stern (ACDC Premium and I love it!) this year but WOZ is something else entirely and I would consider it the Cadillac of pinball machines. Jack and JJP made something very special with WOZ and in my opinion its a pinball machine that will stand the test of time and rank high. Your right that this industry isn't easy to compete in and while several start-ups existing JJP is really the only one at the moment (with games in production) that is a competitor to Stern. Even if JJP did only produce one title a year I would hold out for it as I know that a title by them will be feature loaded. I like ST and think it looks cool but its hard to justify its cost when I know what a JJP comes with for the same price and in some cases cheaper.

#1930 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

3 hours until GTA... You will miss me while I'm gone
I'm kind of a big GTA fan some folks would say
You will always wonder what PW79 meant but he was too busy doing ill shit in a digital sandbox to ever clarify

Enjoy! Reviews are amazing for the game. I'll need to pick it up soon.

#1931 10 years ago

I wish the lasers would be used for phaser fire....

#1932 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

What's more insulting...

Why does everyone insist on pretending that the Premium and Pro don't exist? 4800 shipped Pro...

#1933 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Why does everyone insist on pretending that the Premium and Pro don't exist? 4800 shipped Pro...

You are right bro

I am cherry picking my prices to prove a point

It's just hard not to talk about the $8000 kick in the balls though, know what I mean?

#1934 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

No I meant the explanation of my comments not what PW79 represents

This reminds me of a scene in Bad Santa lol

Oh yeah, I just laughed my a** off, what a great scene, so appropriate in the pinball world isn't it!

I guess GTA at $60 is a better bargain?

#1935 10 years ago

I'm glad that JJP is only making wide-bodies, because I have zero interest in owning one = I won't be tempted. Doesn't matter how good the theme is, a wide-body feels to me like eating a cheeseburger way bigger than your head. Now, is this a ST thread or a WOZ thread?

(* I made an exception for Embryon because it's so damned pretty)

#1936 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Doesn't matter how good the theme is, a wide-body feels to me like eating a cheeseburger way bigger than your head.

Nothing wrong with a little wide body, a whole lotta lovin there........

I have a huge head and its not possible to make a cheeseburger that big

#1937 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

You are right bro
I am cherry picking my prices to prove a point
It's just hard not to talk about the $8000 kick in the balls though, know what I mean?

Are you being forced to buy the LE?

Then how are you being kicked in the balls?!

Funny how you apologize for cherry picking and then you do it again in the next sentence

#1938 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

No it doesn't. Stern doesn't sell to us. They sell to distributers. Of course they will always be sold out, because distributers have to have their orders in for LE's before the game is even released. If it bombs. Stern is still sold out. But Distributers warehouses are stuffed with them.

LOL, from Sterns perspective they are sold out. I know you want to put a negative spin on it but this is a good thing for pinball. If Stern was building crap they wouldn't be selling out "to distributers" every time. If pinball was dead they wouldn't be building 800 LEs. Good thing.

#1939 10 years ago
Quoted from Napabar:

Interesting...

That's what I say!

#1940 10 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

LOL, from Sterns perspective they are sold out. I know you want to put a negative spin on it but this is a good thing for pinball. If Stern was building crap they wouldn't be selling out "to distributers" every time. If pinball was dead they wouldn't be building 800 LEs. Good thing.

Exactly, from Sterns perspective. Has nothing to do with availablity to the consumer or Ops.

Just because stuff sells, has no reflection on quality or desire. The way some of you are, just put out limited edition on something, sale orders go out the door before you even see a picture. Zero reflection on whether or not it's a good game or not.

#1941 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Are you being forced to buy the LE?
Then how are you being kicked in the balls?!
Funny how you apologize for cherry picking and then you do it again in the next sentence

Rob I didn't apologize, I admitted

I personally feel the LE is priced too high & I'm just expressing my dissapointment.

Hopefully it's worth it's price but I already struggle with justifing many pin prices.

#1942 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Rob I didn't apologize, I admitted
I personally feel the LE is priced too high & I'm just expressing my dissapointment.
Hopefully it's worth it's price but I already struggle with justifing many pin prices.

Is there something about the LE that you just have to have that the Premium version doesn't offer?

Street price for Premium is $100 more than MET Premium

#1943 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Exactly, from Sterns perspective. Has nothing to do with availablity to the consumer or Ops.

Who Cares? They are selling all of them. Good thing.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Just because stuff sells, has no reflection on quality or desire. The way some of you are, just put out limited edition on something, sale orders go out the door before you even see a picture. Zero reflection on whether or not it's a good game or not.

This is just Bullshit and uncalled for. The way some of you are? What the hell is this supposed to mean? You really need to get over yourself, who the hell are you to sit there and judge other people on how they spend their money. You have just lost all respect from me and have stooped to troll status.

#1944 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Is there something about the LE that you just have to have that the Premium version doesn't offer?
Street price for Premium is $100 more than MET Premium

Dude if we talk about the premium I can't bitch about the LE!!!!

In all seriousness the Pro looks like fun & that's likely the model I would buy.

What are street prices on the 3?

FYI: I like the cleaner look of the Pro but want the kickback & lasers of the Premium/LE

#1945 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Dude if we talk about the premium I can't bitch about the LE!!!!
In all seriousness the Pro looks like fun & that's likely the model I would buy.
What are street prices on the 3?
FYI: I like the cleaner look of the Pro but want the kickback & lasers of the Premium/LE

Get a Premium. That thing is sex.

#1946 10 years ago
Quoted from Napabar:

Interesting...

Well there was a guy on another forum that got a great shot of the rear of the asteroid and posted it next to a flasher. It's a flasher. Oh well. I think others here who have speculated that the laser is located under the apron are probably right. This would jive with why the middle of the playfield is kept so open - in order to provide no obstructions from one end of the board to the other,
Murph

#1947 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Generally speaking the LE is where the most interest is, nobody wants the plucky side kick, booster (the pro) they all want turbo-man (the LE), i guess the prem could be the Chinese LE knockoff in my flawed analogy, however might be impossible to find a turbo-man by xmas, who knows.

#1948 10 years ago

Wrong. Lots of us will go pro. If I see great game play that trumps a theme I don't care for I will grab one . Big SR fan. But PRo is it based on pricing.

#1949 10 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Well there was a guy on another forum that got a great shot of the rear of the asteroid and posted it next to a flasher. It's a flasher. Oh well. I think others here who have speculated that the laser is located under the apron are probably right. This would jive with why the middle of the playfield is kept so open - in order to provide no obstructions from one end of the board to the other,
Murph

I've seen it, and I tend to agree. I just found the earlier poster's link to this item on ebay, and found it to be a little similar.....

#1950 10 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Looks like a puny incandescent bulb to me. No lasers that I can see.

It's a starfield projector, from a link the person I quoted had posted earlier. Back track and you'll find the link.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.95
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 85.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 64.99
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint Johns, MI
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,205 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 45.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-1/page/39 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.