lol.jpg
asteroid.jpg
image.jpg
side_by_side.jpg
mini.jpg
st_zps968154a7.jpg
Mini-Red-Green-Laser-Lightings-Laser-P.jpg
image.jpg
There are 2,205 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 45.
#1601 10 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

confirmed yesterday that LE's in Aus are $10.5k

Are you overseas guys crazy or what!.....Wow

#1602 10 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I like the last comment best
Don't kid yourselves with the cost of the extras though.
My guesstimate of cost to Stern- remember that they buy things by the 100s and 1000s and have been doing so for almost 30 years (as DE, Sega, Stern) so they would get some very good pricing.
Shaker - $50
Brush Stainless steel Speaker panel with laser cut Logos and grills - $50-80 each
Number Plate and certificate of Auth - $10 max
Mirror Backglass - $50
Animated Sidearmor - armour and powdercoat $50 a set (unsure on animated bit)
LED Illumunated 6" Stainless steel Star Trek shield Emblem on Backbox - $20-$40
So I don't see $1400 worth of stuff there. Certainly not $8995 worth anyway.
As I said before, look forward to the $9999 USD LE in the next model or two. Guarantee it.
rd.

LOL. Sure those laser cut, backlit, powder coated custom side rails were bought for how many previous games?I'd be shocked if they cost Stern less than $400.

Priced a real backglass recently? Once again exactly what Sega/Stern game were the LE backglasses used on before?

I could go on but I don't think it will cut through the fog anyway...

#1603 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

How many recent LEs? How about Steve Ritchie LEs? They seem to be doing pretty well. Also, you missed the point that the comparison is between LE and Premium of the same game. If the price does plummet, the Premium will still always be worth less. The extra money for an STLE will never be lost compared to a Premium ST.

Yeah, Avengers LE is doing so well. Buddy just sold his with plenty of mods added for $5900 (and it "only" took him 6 weeks!) Not sure where the Premium is in value? And there were only 250 of those made?
An LE may always be worth more than the premium but it will not necessarily always be $1200-$1400 more. You are far from guaranteed there. Good luck.

#1604 10 years ago
Quoted from PinKeeper:

Factory ST Pro pics posted if anyone didn't see it. Maybe some gameplay feedback coming too.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/picture-of-a-real-stern-star-trek

like i said who is this guy playing the game? we need a review!

#1605 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Are you overseas guys crazy or what!.....Wow

The average wage in New Zealand is $50,000 NZD.

A STLE is $13,500 NZD.

Even if I buy one in the USA for $7700 or Australia for $10,000 AUD and import it to NZ, it'll still be $13,000 by the time it arrives here.

1/4 of the average wage for a pinball machine is getting crazy.

I don't know how that equation works out compared to the USA average wage .. Maybe you guys can chime in ... But this proves that Pinball has evolved from the working mans hobby (where I come from) to the rich guys hobby (arguably where I am now .. But I am not playing the LE game anymore pricewise)

I'll just work on getting the last few System 11s I need for a full set. Happiness is buying a nice pin for $1000

rd.

#1606 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Yeah, Avengers LE is doing so well. Buddy just sold his with plenty of mods added for $5900 (and it "only" took him 6 weeks!) Not sure where the Premium is in value? And there were only 250 of those made?
An LE may always be worth more than the premium and it will not necessarily always be $1200-$1400 more. You are far from guaranteed there. Good luck.

Good point. I did mention later that Steve Ritchie plays into the equation. I am not a fan of Gomez games and the value drop does not surprise me.

#1607 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Street value those items might cost you $1200 extra but most likely they will gain you at least twice that if you ever go to sell the game. The LE will always be worth at least $1200 more than a premium, two months from now, a year from now and ten years from now.

Mmmmmmmmaybe.

#1608 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

LOL. Sure those laser cut, backlit, powder coated custom side rails were bought for how many previous games?I'd be shocked if they cost Stern less than $400.
Priced a real backglass recently? Once again exactly what Sega/Stern game were the LE backglasses used on before?
I could go on but I don't think it will cut through the fog anyway...

Sorry champ, but I would think my pricing is pretty good.

Shaker - cost to stern $50, wholesale (inc freight) $90, retail price $150.

I used to make sofas for a living. I can guarantee you that your $1999 sofa did not cost $1999 to make. That fabric protection you paid the retailer $200 for, it cost $20.

A set of pinball legs cost $80 at Pinball life. How much do you think Stern pay for them? My guess would be $20-30 a set. In any colour they want. Industrial powdercoating in bulk costs peanuts. A few bucks a set of legs. Not the $100s you guys are paying for one set to be done in a custom colour.

You may pay $400 for a set of armour at retail level. But it certainly doesn't cost that to make it.

rd.

#1609 10 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I don't know how that equation works out compared to the USA average wage .. Maybe you guys can chime in ... But this proves that Pinball has evolved from the working mans hobby (where I come from) to the rich guys hobby (arguably where I am now .. But I am not playing the LE game anymore pricewise)

You have plenty of great pins to play Dave! I have the $$$ too to get whatever I want (obviously different from a "need").....

I don't see how they will sell anything overseas at these prices, no matter how much money you have, but hey, we'll see......

I just got done playing my Lotr le and Wpt for a few games and had a great time, plus, I've already got the 10k Jpop pin coming and I want to be part of the next one........at least I get to see the progress, perceived/actual value, etc.....these guys won't even put out a freaking video to help sell it! Dumb...........

#1610 10 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I used to make sofas for a living. I can guarantee you that your $1999 sofa did not cost $1999 to make. That fabric protection you paid the retailer $200 for, it cost $20.

Dude, you are not talking to an 8 year old here. I am well aware of markup pricing, I work for NASA.

Custom parts cost big money, especially when laser cut and powder coated. Generic parts like legs that are made in the thousands cost next to nothing. Duh.

#1611 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Good point. I did mention later that Steve Ritchie plays into the equation. I am not a fan of Gomez games and the value drop does not surprise me.

Lotr? Well I love SR games as well but wtf, can you put out more info/video before they expect you to choke down a massive price increase with increased supply, I have $$$ because I don't make stupid decisions (not that this is one).....wtf........I wanted that STLE but I'll just wait now......

#1612 10 years ago

Premiums are probably the most stable price wise as Stern usually will not run premiums at a reduced price. Sometimes they increase price of them on future runs or they won't run anymore making for limited quantity.

A higher price by about $600 on LE models with 750 being made makes it a bit tricky if your looking for the pin to go way up or even maintain value. It could go up in value but the big price increase and good amount being made kind of makes that harder to happen IMO. Don't want to rain on anyone's parade just want to demonstrate the other side of the coin for those new to the hobby.

#1613 10 years ago

More power to those who got LE. But for me, paying that much for one pin means I'm saying no to too many other things...
.... including future pins which might offer all kinds of technical wizardry.

So, the logical choice for me is wait and see on how ST plays. Get a second run premium if the first runs seem plagued with errors or if the code falls into beta purgatory. Keep an eye open on JJP's and Stern's next (LCD based?) pin meanwhile.

And I guess be grateful that the hard core LE purchasers are keeping Stern afloat, rather than be resentful that they are driving prices up. Perhaps they are also keeping the LE model alive for future pin runs so that I can always have the option if I fall into crazy money to buy an LE in the future.

I do applaud Stern's decision to make the differences between Premium and LE only cosmetic and not gameplay.

#1614 10 years ago

I posted some pix of the PRO here.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/picture-of-a-real-stern-star-trek#post-1107885

this game is coming out soon enough, better to critique it after you've actually played one.

pf1.jpgpf1.jpg

#1615 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Lotr? Well I love SR games as well but wtf, can you put out more info/video before they expect you to choke down a massive price increase with increased supply, I have $$$ because I don't make stupid decisions (not that this is one).....wtf........I wanted that STLE but I'll just wait now......

I'm sure Automated will be glad to sell you an STLE in a few months.

Seriously though I respect your opinion. To each his own. As for LOTR I have owned one and had fun with it, but I have not missed it. To me the theme and great software made up for a poorly designed playfield. Gomez is out of the rotation apparently. Borg has proven himself to be a great designer and along with the King they are a great 1-2 punch.

#1616 10 years ago

I sucked it up and bought the LE. I have no expectations of profit or loss of value for many many years. I'd sell my nice Cyclone and STTNG first if I needed money.

#1617 10 years ago

Yea - $50 for a mirrored backglass? Ask CPR how much they spend making one....

#1618 10 years ago

The same Steve Richie that did WPT? A game that was blown out a few years ago NIB at $2300USD?

Quoted from John_I:

#1619 10 years ago
Quoted from Mycal:

I have no expectations of profit or loss of value for many many years.

Good point. I have made a lot of economic debates in this thread, but in the end I have no plans to sell STLE for ten years.

#1620 10 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

The same Steve Richie that did WPT? A game that was blown out a few years ago NIB at $2300USD?

Was there an LE of WPT? I don't think there was the last time I checked. The point is that the extra money for an LE over a Premium is well worth it for RECENT games that have the LE/Premium/Pro structure.

By the way WPT is a great game and I still have mine.

#1621 10 years ago

Wanna buy my X-Men wolverines for $6700...the shipped price?

Quoted from John_I:

Was there an LE of WPT? I don't think there was the last time I checked. The point is that the extra money for an LE over a Premium is well worth it for RECENT games that have the LE/Premium/Pro structure.
By the way WPT is a great game and I still have mine.

#1622 10 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Shaker - $50
Brush Stainless steel Speaker panel with laser cut Logos and grills - $50-80 each
Number Plate and certificate of Auth - $10 max
Mirror Backglass - $50
Animated Sidearmor - armour and powdercoat $50 a set (unsure on animated bit)
LED Illumunated 6" Stainless steel Star Trek shield Emblem on Backbox - $20-$40

I like how you really undervalued all these things. Show me where you can get a shaker motor for $50. Animated side armor and powdercoat $50 REALLY? I guarantee you that when those stainless steel speaker panels become available for all the premium owners will be much much more than $50-80. Same thing goes for any other after market part.

#1623 10 years ago

Its ridiculous to factor cost vs retail. You can buy sandwich ingredients at grocery store but thats not what it cost to get one in a restaurant and its not what it costs them to serve it.
Apples to Apples. You have to add up your retail cost to add everything vs Sterns price. Thats the only real comparison. Regardless of what they can really make because thats your cost either way.

#1624 10 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

You may pay $400 for a set of armour at retail level. But it certainly doesn't cost that to make it.

rd.

So? It's the same for just about any part for anything you buy. Why should it be different for Stern?

#1625 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I'm sure Automated will be glad to sell you an STLE in a few months.

Seriously though I respect your opinion. To each his own. As for LOTR I have owned one and had fun with it, but I have not missed it. To me the theme and great software made up for a poorly designed playfield. Gomez is out of the rotation apparently. Borg has proven himself to be a great designer and along with the King they are a great 1-2 punch.

I actually bought the Lotr LE from Automated on blowout.....

Being a Nasa employee, that ought to be enough to make you buy that pin and never worry about selling it! I love the theme myself and I think its going to be great......when I analyzed this decision, just like the Shark Tank crew, I just decided for all the various unknown issues..."I'm out".....

That said, I'm fickle and could be talked back in, but the marketing dept at Stern is apparently dumber than a bag of rocks......

#1626 10 years ago

When does someone threaten to eat their own hair in here?

#1627 10 years ago

I don't get the theory that the LE should have $1500 worth of upgrades... No, the cost to Stern is substantially less because within that $1500 there has to be a) profit b) cost recovery for the time and energy put into the LE features. Sure the speaker panel, or side rails maybe cost 50 bucks each, but someone had to draw them, get them approved for the license, have some prototypes made, likely redraw or re-prototype... Etc...

The only balance in pricing comes with the end user. The question isn't "what cost stern $1500 more" it's "can the end user change a premium (or pro) to an LE (or premium) for $1500?" My guess is, no you cannot easily break even on that endeavour.

#1628 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That said, I'm fickle and could be talked back in, but the marketing dept at Stern is apparently dumber than a bag of rocks......

Wow icemann that was pretty harsh. That said, there is a lot of room for improvement in the Stern's marketing department your not alone on that sentiment. Well they could always agree to do some release exclusives with the dude here on Pinside which would probably strengthen sales. Of course they would have the right to look over and approve anything that went out. All it would take is for some pictures to be shared features explained not too difficult or time consuming. Just sayin.

#1629 10 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

When does someone threaten to eat their own hair in here?

If someone doesn't eat their own hair, I'll eat a bug!

#1630 10 years ago

i'll have what he's smokin'....... puff, puff, give

Quoted from PinFever:

Something in the universe loves me. Something in the universe loves the entity that is me. I will choose to call this something, "God." A singular spark that dwells in the soul of every living being. If you look inside yourself, you will find this spark too. You will. But you have to look deep. Love your faults. Embrace them. If God embraces them, then how can they be faults? Love yourself. You have to love yourself. If we don't love ourselves, how can we love others? And when we know what we are, then we can find the truth about others, see what they are, the truth about them. And you know what the truth is, the truth about them, about you, about me. Do you? The truth is we are all perfect. Just as we are. God only loves that which is perfect, and he loves you. He loves you because you are perfect. You are perfect just as you are. BALTAR

#1631 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Wow icemann that was pretty harsh. That said, there is a lot of room for improvement in the Stern's marketing department IMO. Well they could always agree to do some release exclusives with the dude here on Pinside which would probably strengthen sales. Of course they would have the right to look over and approve anything that went out. All it would take is for some pictures to be shared features explained not too difficult or time consuming. Just sayin.

My concern is that they're NOT showing the one unique feature no one's seen on a pin: the laser light show. It could be that they don't want to blow their wad before the big show at Expo.

But one gets fearful that it could be because it is a little underwhelming.

Downside of not revealing ?> downside of revealing?

#1632 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

All it would take is for some pictures to be shared features explained not too difficult or time consuming. Just sayin.

Well I'm just trying to make a point, give us the info to make an informed decision, especially with competition, the new price point and the increased supply......it seems to me its a display of arrogance, I don't know.....

#1633 10 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

Downside of not revealing ?> downside of revealing?

I hear you, but if they continue with this price point on LE's I think better reveals are going to be necessary to drive sales. I could definitely be wrong wouldn't be the first time just my gut feeling on it.

#1634 10 years ago

Just bought the Trek 3D movie today. I tried to keep up with this thread but gave up. I'm a big Trek fan and the movie just blew me away again all over. Now I'm re-pumped for a Ritchie Trek pin. Can't wait.

#1635 10 years ago

I get the fact that Stern has not provided a video or more detailed description prior to previous releases. Still, had they done so in this case, it might very well have kept me in the game. I don't have $8k to gamble. If I felt more confident I knew what I was getting (and liked it, of course), I would have stayed in. I think it's a crummy way to market a high-dollar product.

#1636 10 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

The average wage in New Zealand is $50,000 NZD.
A STLE is $13,500 NZD.

I hear you... The average wage in the U.S. Is $43,000 USD, so we don't have it much better.

#1637 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Just bought the Trek 3D movie today. I tried to keep up with this thread but gave up. I'm a big Trek fan and the movie just blew me away again all over. Now I'm re-pumped for a Ritchie Trek pin. Can't wait.

Hahaa, I was up late last night watching it as well. I can't wait to play this pin either.

#1639 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Maybe, but if they all get sold then what are they?

#1640 10 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

I like how you really undervalued all these things. Show me where you can get a shaker motor for $50. Animated side armor and powdercoat $50 REALLY? I guarantee you that when those stainless steel speaker panels become available for all the premium owners will be much much more than $50-80. Same thing goes for any other after market part.

YOU can't buy a shaker motor for $50

Stern does. Give or take.

If you buy 1000 of them, you can get one for $50.

Geez the comprehension on Pinside is going down the tubes.

rd.

#1641 10 years ago

I just bought the 3D version today. It will be my first 3D movie on my new TV and Blu-Ray player.

#1642 10 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Still dumb....but they won't, its a new world in pinball.....why alienate current and future buyers?

#1643 10 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

And what if the Earth gets hit my a killer asteroid tomorrow? Give me a break. 799 being made! That is twice as many as Tron LE! IF .. and that's a BIG IF (you have some seriously high expecations of a laser light show) ... this is as big a hit as Tron LE, do you really think the value would ever hit that of Tron LE with twice as many games out there? STLE will not be a rare game by any means. If you don't care about losing value/money then fine, enjoy. But I seriously think all pinheads who love this hobby should take a damn stand and say enough is enough.
I have a Shrek pin. GREAT game if you're all about game play (I do like the theme though too). ONLY 600 were ever made. 25% less than STLE. I guess my Shrek should be worth at least 7-8K now too (it's still minty new) in comparison.

#1644 10 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

Something in the universe loves me. Something in the universe loves the entity that is me. I will choose to call this something, "God." A singular spark that dwells in the soul of every living being. If you look inside yourself, you will find this spark too. You will. But you have to look deep. Love your faults. Embrace them. If God embraces them, then how can they be faults? Love yourself. You have to love yourself. If we don't love ourselves, how can we love others? And when we know what we are, then we can find the truth about others, see what they are, the truth about them. And you know what the truth is, the truth about them, about you, about me. Do you? The truth is we are all perfect. Just as we are. God only loves that which is perfect, and he loves you. He loves you because you are perfect. You are perfect just as you are. BALTAR

Wrong sci-fi

Although a BSG pin would be a buy for me...

#1645 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

And what if the Earth gets hit my a killer asteroid tomorrow? Give me a break. 799 being made! That is twice as many as TRON LE! IF .. and that's a BIG IF (you have some seriously high expecations of a laser light show) ... this is as big a hit as TRON LE, do you really think the value would ever hit that of TRON LE with twice as many games out there? STLE will not be a rare game by any means. If you don't care about losing value/money then fine, enjoy. But I seriously think all pinheads who love this hobby should take a damn stand and say enough is enough.
I have a Shrek pin. GREAT game if you're all about game play (I do like the theme though too). ONLY 600 were ever made. 25% less than STLE. I guess my Shrek should be worth at least 7-8K now too (it's still minty new) in comparison.

Your Shrek is worth what someone pays for it. STLE is worth what someone will pay for it. One is apparently worth 8k, the other isn't. Rarity doesn't directly correlate to value, it can assist but it isn't the only driver for it.

I have 2 Viza 'War' machines in my garage... They only made 200 so they must be worth $20k by your logic? Let it be known, for the bargain price of $200 these ultra rare limited availability machines can be yours to flip.

#1646 10 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Your Shrek is worth what someone pays for it. STLE is worth what someone will pay for it. One is apparently worth 8k, the other isn't. Rarity doesn't directly correlate to value, it can assist but it isn't the only driver for it.

Thank you for stating the obvious. The point I was making that you overlooked is that this hobby has gotten completely out control and completely irrational. More now than ever if STLE sells out. Shrek is a proven fun game (assuming you think the 'Family Guy' layout/rules/play is fun.) There were no Pros, Premiums, or LE's. Only regulars and only 600 made. Very rare. Sells for 3K less than STLE? Heck, you can go buy a Black SpiderMan for 7K, also a fairly new and proven game (and fewer made). This is so messed up with STLE. I think there has never been a better time than now to stand up to Stern and say 'Screw you Stern' we're sick of being gouged. And not just Stern I suppose ... the speculators. The folks hoarding games (including distributors) because they expect to automatically make 25% on their money by hoarding LE's.

STLE ... just say 'No'.

#1647 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

The LE will always be worth at least $1200 more than a premium, two months from now, a year from now and ten years from now.

Quoted from iceman44:

Well, good luck PT, keep telling yourself that.....maybe you should not worry so much about the "street value" because as we have seen with many pins they can go down, way down.....

Quoted from John_I:

The point is that the extra money for an LE over a Premium is well worth it for RECENT games that have the LE/Premium/Pro structure.

I'm definitely with PT on this one. Even if the price of ST does go down, which is obviously entirely possible, name one other Stern pin that has both Premium and LE options where the LE isn't worth at least $1k more than the Premium. In fact, it's usually a lot more than that.

#1648 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

STLE ... just say 'No'.

YOU just say no.

I already said YES!!!

#1649 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Well I'm just trying to make a point, give us the info to make an informed decision, especially with competition, the new price point and the increased supply......it seems to me its a display of arrogance, I don't know.....

I see what you're saying. But didn't you buy in for The Hobbit under the same set of circumstances? Price increase. LE made in greater supply. And no info to make an informed decision.

Did you consider that arrogant as well?

#1650 10 years ago
Quoted from krupa:

I see what you're saying. But didn't you buy in for The Hobbit under the same set of circumstances? Price increase. LE made in greater supply. And no info to make an informed decision.
Did you consider that arrogant as well?

Oh SNAP!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 85.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,205 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 45.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-1/page/33 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.