IMG_0725 (resized).JPG
IMG_0724 (resized).JPG
IMG_0723 (resized).JPG
IMG_0722 (resized).JPG
IMAG2062[1] (resized).jpg
Priceisright-I_hate_you_smile (resized).jpg
priceisright-price_guesstimates (resized).jpg
IMG_0527 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yoski.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#54 7 years ago

I bought 18 machines the were not NIB. Of those 3 were listed on the internet. While the sample size is too small to be of great statistical value I would say take the number of machines listed and multiply by 5, which gives you a rough estimate of what's still out there.

#55 7 years ago

I also noticed that more popular, older titles don't come up for sale as often. This probably has 2 main reasons:
1. Popular games tend to have longer hold times by their owners while boring games are sold more frequently.
2. Popular games where played to death when they were new back in the 70s and 80s. Then parted out and junked.
For example Joker Poker (1978) had 10K games made but it is difficult to find these days. Given the electrical problems many early SS Gottliebs had they probably didn't stay around very long and were dead after a few years.
Seawitch (1980) had 2503 games made and is extremely hard to find.
The popular TOTAN, AFM, MB, ... had 3+K games made and comes up for sale very frequently. By the mid 90s games were better quality and weren't played as much anymore. That's why, based on production numbers, relatively many 90s titles are still around.

1 week later
#85 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

There is no such rule.
EVERY PERSON IN THE USA, EUROPE AND SA HAS INTERNET ACCESS. They can easily look up the value of a pin.
There is no way that 1/2 off all the pinball machines since 2010 have been thrown away or lost.
That is stupid.

Since the early 2000s you have serious collectors. In the 70s and 80s very few people collected machines. I think most of those were lost due to poor maintenance, improper storage or as parts donor. I played a lot of pinball in the late 70s and early 80s and I didn't know a single person that had a machine in their home. Today I personally know about a dozen people each having 5 - 30 machines at their home.
Back in the old days (1975 -85) there was an arcade at every corner packed full of pinball. Once those machines left the location they vanished. The vast majority certainly didn't end up in peoples homes. I have the feeling nothing good happened to them after they left the arcade. Storage is expensive and if nobody pays any real money for it, it gets parted out and the rest gets junked.
1979 was the year with the world wide highest production of machines, yet they come up for sale relatively seldom.

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Check Craigslist.
There are 3 Flash and a Meteor for sale in my city.

About 247000 machines were produced in 1979 alone versus an estimated 50000 in the 6 years from 2010 to 2015. Unfortunately the production number for the recent Stern machines are only available for some models so I had to take a very generous guess. Still you see 2010 -15 models up for sale more frequently than 1979 models, that's my point.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Tempe, AZ
Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yoski.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-gazer-how-many-left?tu=yoski and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.