IMG_0725 (resized).JPG
IMG_0724 (resized).JPG
IMG_0723 (resized).JPG
IMG_0722 (resized).JPG
IMAG2062[1] (resized).jpg
Priceisright-I_hate_you_smile (resized).jpg
priceisright-price_guesstimates (resized).jpg
IMG_0527 (resized).JPG
There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

I looked at pinballowners and only 38 entry.
I also looked at ipsnd and only 29 entry.
That's about 4% of the 869 games produced.

I take a risk and estimate that only 10% of those games still exist today, 87 games in total

What's your opinion about this ??

#2 7 years ago

329 left is my guess.

#3 7 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/star-gazer/owners

I figure if 49 are known on pinside, then I have ACCESS to talking to 49 owners.

There may be another 25-50 out in the wild, but if they are in attics and basements with owners who are dead or not on the internet, it has no VALUE to me -- they are as good as gone until the estate sale.

-mof

#4 7 years ago

I have around 30 machines from various years and makes. Of which maybe 5 were on some internet list before I bought them. Most owners are oblivious to posting information about their pinball machines on the internet is what I've gathered from that.

#5 7 years ago

All I know is, I played one for the first time last weekend and I fell in love. That sweet, sweet spinner action!

#6 7 years ago

99% of all pinball machine owners are not on Pinside.

#7 7 years ago

I'm with o-din, a lot more than 87 left.

#8 7 years ago

I want one. I promise to preserve and take care of it. So yeah, someone get me one.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I want one. I promise to preserve and take care of it. So yeah, someone get me one.

Um, it's a Stern

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Um, it's a Stern

And how much would Stern make if I bought that game?

I happen to own a Spider-Man, Tron, TSPP, AC/DC Premium, GBLE, and Iron Man. I'll buy a Stern on the secondhand market, but not new.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Um, it's a Stern

Great post.

If CPR makes the playfield, plastics and backglass, would it be easy to make one?

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

And how much would Stern make if I bought that game?
I happen to own a Spider-Man, Tron, TSPP, AC/DC Premium, GBLE, and Iron Man. I'll buy a Stern on the secondhand market, but not new.

Easy butch...it was a jab, not a stab.

#13 7 years ago

I expected Stern would have announced classic Stern remakes by now.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Easy butch...it was a jab, not a stab.

I'm just explaining because this is coming up in every thread. People have literally posted more about my thread outside of it than I actually posted in it. Haha.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I expected Stern would have announced classic Stern remakes by now.

They've got the cab to do it with the WNBJM cab. I think the question would be how many could they sell if they price it the same. Would it be worth it?

#16 7 years ago

FYI John Greatwich made repro playfields and they look killer!

There was a guy that made one from scratch a few years ago using spare parts and lots of labor.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from bjsilverballs:

There was a guy that made one from scratch a few years ago using spare parts and lots of labor.

He also made the glass. Stu was doing plastics, but I don't know if they're going to happen or not.

#18 7 years ago

Youd think if they could make "the pin" or whatever those costco brand games are they could remake these early sterns for the same price

#19 7 years ago

Pretty much all the games I've found were never posted online until I acquired them.

#20 7 years ago

I think 329 might have been a little conservative. I would imagine as many of these as possible were saved. Some were too far gone I'm sure. So how bout we kick it up to 611 units left.

#21 7 years ago

1 is in Sweden at my friends place, so thats one you can account for.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from bjsilverballs:

Probably Redketchup https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-stargazer-crazy-project

#23 7 years ago

There's probably 100-150 of them left.

#24 7 years ago

Eleventy

#25 7 years ago

I'm doing 74 new playfields. 50 are gone, & the last 20 will be the first 6 months of 2017. Backglass I continue to do on demand. There are some more guys interested in building ones from other Stern games. Plastic sets are still in demand, & Marco Specialties said they would step up & order a bunch.

IMG_0527 (resized).JPGIMG_0527 (resized).JPG

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

I'm doing 74 new playfields. 50 are gone, & the last 20 will be the first 6 months of 2017. Backglass I continue to do on demand. There are some more guys interested in building ones from other Stern games. Plastic sets are still in demand, & Marco Specialties said they would step up & order a bunch.

Cool Beans.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from HPR:

I take a risk and estimate that only 10% of those games still exist today, 87 games in total

I'm doing 74 new playfields.

I'd say way more than 87 games exist if John has 74 orders for replacement playfields.....

#28 7 years ago

My guess is that there is somewhere between 20% to 80% (174 to 695 of 869) still around.
Some qty likely were destroyed by fire/smoke, floodwaters/rainwater/mold, rats/mice, and some of those in bad/broken/worn condition were thrown away or parted out by owners/operators.

Any suggestions or data available that can help us narrow down the possible range of number of Star Gazers left?

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'd say way more than 87 games exist if John has 74 orders for replacement playfields.....

How many persons buy repro parts hoping to find the machine later or simply to keep it in the dark waiting it to get more value in the future to resell it for a higher price ??

I'm willing to raise my number to 125 after reading others point of view

Most Star Gazer don't need new playfield from all the pictures i saw from the web, usually they are still in good condition. I saw regularly Centaur or Fathom playfield destroyed for comparaison.

#30 7 years ago

I really wish Stern would do some remakes of their classic's, StarGazer, Quicksilver, Seawitch Etc. That would be so great.

#31 7 years ago

I know people that have bought replacement playfields that don't have a machine. Hard to logically guesstimate a number; but I'd suspect a large number were parted out or tossed starting in about 1985 (5 years after release). Then whatever ended up in collections or in operators back rooms is what we are dealing with now. I'm thinking maybe 200ish max.

The one I have was found in an operator's back room and sold to a video collector as part of a package deal with a bunch of other stuff. The video collector didn't want it and couldn't care less that is was a SG. To him it was a crappy pinball and something he did not want to deal with. He was happy to get rid of it...I was happy to take it off his hands.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

I was happy to take it off his hands.

I'm sure you were!

Quoted from schudel5:

I know people that have bought replacement playfields that don't have a machine.

I bought one before I had the game. The way my search was going I thought I was going to have to Redketchup one.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

329 left is my guess.

This actually seems like a decent guesstimate. 329 is just under 38 % of the 869 machines produced.

If we are to try to be the closest without going over the actual number of remaining Star Gazers, I could guess 333, but I don't want o-din to be mad at me. But I want to win. But what if someone else guesses 334. Oh, what to do??

priceisright-price_guesstimates (resized).jpgpriceisright-price_guesstimates (resized).jpg
Priceisright-I_hate_you_smile (resized).jpgPriceisright-I_hate_you_smile (resized).jpg

#34 7 years ago

I'm working on converting a Meteor cab to a Star Gazer for my wife for Christmas. Only hangup on that right now is I've heard at least three seperated rumors on replacement plasticsurgery, but no physical proof or official announcements.

#35 7 years ago

Almost all the people that have ordered a playfield, need it. Very few I know are speculating, & a few have a playfield & searching for the pin to install in. I will never do anymore of these.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I'm sure you were!

I bought one before I had the game. The way my search was going I though I was going to have to Redketchup one.

So, Redketchup becomes a verb. I am in the process of preparing to Redketchup me a SG as we speak.

#37 7 years ago

How difficult is it to convert a Metor to a Stargazer?

#38 7 years ago

Anybody ever play Star Gazer while listening to Stargazer?

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

» YouTube video

Haven't tried that. Nor have I played Genesis while listening to Genesis.

#40 7 years ago

FWIW, I have listened to the song Iron Maiden from the album Iron Maiden by the band Iron Maiden while playing Iron Maiden.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

How difficult is it to convert a Metor to a Stargazer?

Not too bad since you already have everything except 7-digit displays as far as the electronics go. You'll need cobalt star posts, ball guides, plastics, stand up targets, pops, pop caps and spinners. You'll need to modify the backbox harness for 7-digit displays and a different physical layout and you'll need to modify the playfield harness to fit the new layout. Probably missing something, but that's all I can think of right now.

#42 7 years ago

I know of one that is not on the list. +1
I know of game that was scrapped. -1

2 weeks later
#43 7 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

So, Redketchup becomes a verb. I am in the process of preparing to Redketchup me a SG as we speak.

I'm pretty happy to became a verb!.. Building my owe stargazer was not to difficult, but it takes times (3 years) and a lot of love.

that was very fun project... located all the part, fabricated a lot of it, making the new harness for the playfeild. The best moment in 25 year of collecting juke and pins... the moment I plug the Stargazer for the first time and it was working... that was pretty awesome.

1 week later
#44 7 years ago

Kinda jumping out of the blue on this one but this makes me wonder:
Has anyone figured a general equation or rule for accurate estimate of surviving machines?
I know there are so many variables but there has to be some general trend right?
Say for every 5 years, the amount of surviving machines decreases by 5%?

Just curious! I know most machines are like old cars, just getting to that point where people realize "Wow maybe after 40 years that POS rotting in my barn is actually worth something if I sell it"

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Star Gazer wasn't even made yet when we were listening to Stargazer.

Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

This actually seems like a decent guesstimate. 329 is just under 38 % of the 869 machines produced.

What makes you think that was a guess?

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Say for every 5 years, the amount of surviving machines decreases by 5%?

Everybody has access to Craigslist and Ebay nowadays, so it's not like people are throwing away old pinball machines at the dump.

Nowadays, I'm sure more pins are discovered and returned to service than lost each year.

#47 7 years ago

My guess is there is probably 50 left. I have personnelly owned 6 of them. I have sold 4. Have enough parts to make 1 more and have 1 in my collection. Reproduction parts don't mean much because people buy them thinking they will find a game. In this case most folks won't. The list doesn't mean much because those games are doubled up on some because both the owner and buyer are on the list.

I love the game along with my other classic Stern's and I am blessed to have an unmolested perfect original.

#48 7 years ago

87 Star Gazer are on the pinsiders wishlist for 51 owners, it will take lot of time to satisfy everyone !!
Possibly there's less owners in reality because the not updated list.

#49 7 years ago

Way more than 50.

There are 30 unique serial numbers alone on the IPSND, and 99% of pinball owners do not bother to register their games.

#50 7 years ago

I listened to C&C Music Factory while playing Lethal Weapon 3. Come on, it was the 90s!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Tempe, AZ
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-gazer-how-many-left/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.