View topic image gallery

20230318_195458 (resized).jpg
FC601B9B-3DB4-4306-BBC7-92A85DCD7204 (resized).jpeg
2B4800AA-58E1-49B6-8B71-5D6231E9D3CC (resized).jpeg
stampede start relay ckt (resized).jpg
stampede reset relay ckt (resized).jpg
Stampede Score Reel reset (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

I have a Stern Stampede that won't start a game. I've got it to the point that when I press the credit button, the score motor runs, the player 1 score reels run to the zero position and the ball count stepper resets. However, the player 2 score reels never operate to get to zero and the score motor runs continuously. I've manually put the player 2 score reels to the zero position, but the score motor continues to run.

When I manually engage the Reset relay, the game starts and plays as normal. I can also play a 2 player game as well and everything seems to work fine.

Anyone have any ideas on what to look for? I can't find much info on the start-up sequence for the Stern EM games.

#2 1 year ago

You may have several issues to sort through but among the first is to get the 2nd player Score Reels to reset. Here is the reset circuit for the 10-90 Score Reel for both players:
Stampede Score Reel reset (resized).jpgStampede Score Reel reset (resized).jpg
They're essentially the same circuit so you have one that's working and one that isn't to compare it with. If the 1st player Score Reels are resetting you know that the entire circuit for the Score Reset relay coil is working (top part of the diagram) and that the Score Reset relay switch (green-red wire to gray wire) to the 1st Player 00-90 Score Reel coil is working. The other Score Reset relay switch (green-red wire to grey-red wire) may not be working, or the circuit through the 2nd player Score Reel circuit board may not be working. But since none of the 2nd player Score Reels are resetting I'd first check that the green-red wire common to all of the Score Reels isn't damaged somewhere between player 1 and player 2.

BTW the Stampede Parts Catalog on IPDB.org has a map showing where all of the relays in the game are.

/Mark

#3 1 year ago

The G-R wire that connects to the score reset relay switches will have many jumpers daisy chained to feed all the switches. Inspect all jumpers for breaks.
If you jumper the start relay switch in the pic, the score reset relay will pulse the score reels when the relay is manually pushed in.

#4 1 year ago

I was able to spend some time this evening working on this and found all four 2nd player score reel circuit boards were dirty, so I took all four apart and cleaned them and now both the 1st and 2nd player score reels reset to the zero now when the credit button is pressed, so some progress has been made. However, the score reset relay continues to pulse after all the score reels reset to zero and the "start" relay doesn't disengage unless I manually energize the reset relay. I'm guessing there is an issue with either the start relay circuit or the reset relay circuit. I reviewed both and didn't find anything obvious, so I have some more troubleshooting to do.

stampede reset relay ckt (resized).jpgstampede reset relay ckt (resized).jpgstampede start relay ckt (resized).jpgstampede start relay ckt (resized).jpg
#5 1 year ago

A common issue with these Stern score reels with the wipers is the lower circuit path into the Reset relay you show above. Note that between the brown-orange and white-brown wires are 8 zero position switches in series that all need to close. Those switches are usually wipers on the pc boards on the score reels. Any one of them being dirty or not having enough tension on the wiper will keep that circuit from completing. Even if they are all closing, if their combined resistance (due to dirt or whatever) is high enough they might not allow enough current through to fire the Reset relay. The problem is even worse in a 4 player game with 16 of those switches in series.

#6 1 year ago

If anything on here is helpful, feel free to shoot me a PM. Pulled from a Stern Pinball EM

2B4800AA-58E1-49B6-8B71-5D6231E9D3CC (resized).jpeg2B4800AA-58E1-49B6-8B71-5D6231E9D3CC (resized).jpegFC601B9B-3DB4-4306-BBC7-92A85DCD7204 (resized).jpegFC601B9B-3DB4-4306-BBC7-92A85DCD7204 (resized).jpeg
#7 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

A common issue with these Stern score reels with the wipers is the lower circuit path into the Reset relay you show above. Note that between the brown-orange and white-brown wires are 8 zero position switches in series that all need to close. Those switches are usually wipers on the pc boards on the score reels. Any one of them being dirty or not having enough tension on the wiper will keep that circuit from completing. Even if they are all closing, if their combined resistance (due to dirt or whatever) is high enough they might not allow enough current through to fire the Reset relay. The problem is even worse in a 4 player game with 16 of those switches in series.

Thanks, I'll focus on going through them again as I didn't focus on the wiper contacts on the player 1 score reels. When I was cleaning them, I noticed how flimsy the wiper contacts seemed on the score reels.

Quoted from play_pinball:

If anything on here is helpful, feel free to shoot me a PM. Pulled from a Stern Pinball EM
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you for the offer, I appreciate it. I didn't notice anything broken or missing, but if I do find I need something, I'll reach out.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

This advice was spot on. I spent a lot of time going through each score reel again, adjusting the wipers and really dialing them in and now the game starts up correctly and is playable. I have a few minor issues to track down yet, but I feel really good where I'm at with it now.

1 week later
#9 1 year ago

Stampede is all shopped out and working. Thanks for all of the help.

20230318_195458 (resized).jpg20230318_195458 (resized).jpg
#10 1 year ago

I think she was a pioneer in no bra club movement. Beautiful results on your CC / Stern machine.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stampede-start-up-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.