Stampede working 006.JPG
Stampede working 007.JPG
Stampede working 005.JPG
Stampede Stepper Unit 003.JPG
Stampede Stepper Unit 004.JPG
Stampede Stepper Unit 001.JPG
Stampede Stepper Unit 002.JPG

#1 10 years ago

I'm having a problem with a Stampede, I can't get the special target stepper to work. I cleaned it, then cleaned it again, I tried checking the coils with a 9 volt battery but that was a bust. I also can't get the pop bumpers to light. What am I missing?

#2 10 years ago

Got a schematic?

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Got a schematic?

Sorry, no I don't.

#4 10 years ago

Guys? Any input would be helpful.
Thanks

#5 10 years ago

Post some pictures of the stepper unit/target switch.

Quoted from 0geist0:

I also can't get the pop bumpers to light.

Backtrace the wires with a meter to see where your fault is.

#6 10 years ago

Here are some pics, sorry one is a little blurry.
Stampede Stepper Unit 004.JPGStampede Stepper Unit 004.JPGStampede Stepper Unit 003.JPGStampede Stepper Unit 003.JPGStampede Stepper Unit 002.JPGStampede Stepper Unit 002.JPGStampede Stepper Unit 001.JPGStampede Stepper Unit 001.JPG

#7 10 years ago

Got the stepper to work, had to go back and clean some more switches Now have to figure out the pop bumper lights. Not an easy task for a color blind person

#8 10 years ago

ten minutes with someone not color blind and a bunch of post-it notes. Have them help you label what you you cant identify by color.

Just because I have made this mistake before.......do you KNOW you have good bulbs in the pops?

Schematics would really help on the pops. Anyone out there have one that can be scanned?

#9 10 years ago

Wow that thing looks to be in great shape for its age.

#10 10 years ago

Pops are fixed, just don't ask me what I did because I have no clue. They just started working

#11 10 years ago

Larry, it is in pretty nice shape, needs a little playfield touch up and the varnish has yellowed on the head. plays very fast for an EM

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

Pops are fixed, just don't ask me what I did because I have no clue. They just started working

I have found that after cleaning a bunch of switches, the machine needs some play to settle back in. I try to clean the switches after I clean them. Follow me? the flexstone leaves a bit of residue that can get in the way of good electrical performance. If it took some switch cleaning to get the stepper to work, maybe that stepper needed some time to clean itself too. The contacts keep themselves clean as they rotate around the contact plate. Without the schematic, I'm only guessing, but I bet that stepper is the source of change for your pop bumper lights.

Some video of it in action????

#13 10 years ago

I'll have to ask Turboderf if he can make a video, my phone just rings.

#14 10 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

my phone just rings

You can turn that off you know!!

#16 10 years ago

Best I can do for now.
Stampede working 007.JPGStampede working 007.JPGStampede working 006.JPGStampede working 006.JPGStampede working 005.JPGStampede working 005.JPG

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

Got the stepper to work, had to go back and clean some more switches

Cool,you got it working properly.
Sometimes its that plastic connector wire attachment for the board/tracers which is notorious for giving problems. Although its not in your case on the Special target stepper as its soldered correctly.
And if its not tight on the tracers it can give intermittent signal continuity,a direct solder connection can resolve it,trust me i know.

Nice machine and artwork.

#18 10 years ago

Whats the name of the stepper to the left side of the special target stepper?

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Whats the name of the stepper to the left side of the special target stepper?

That's the bonus unit. Need a pic of it?

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

That's the bonus unit. Need a pic of it?

Nah ,Just wondering what it was for.
But if the plastic connector ever gives issue you can solder the wires direct to the edge of the tracers.
My brothers CC Sound stage had that plastic conn. Seen here > http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/match-doesnt-award-credit#post-1094119

#21 10 years ago

Thanks that's good to know

#22 10 years ago

You know I still can't figure out why I couldn't get any coil to fire with a 9 volt battery, to see if it's good

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

You know I still can't figure out why I couldn't get any coil to fire with a 9 volt battery, to see if it's good

Unless you unsolder the coil you may be juicing others in that circuit,you can also jumper it with some alligator clipped wire connected to the proper voltage to test it.

11 months later
#25 9 years ago

Hey guys. I'm having issues with my stampede. All the cam does is keep spinning and spinning and spinning Anne relay one through five on the bottom right corner when the tabletop is up just keeps flicking and flicking and flicking. I have pressed the reset relay multiple times I have unplugged and plugged back in I can't get anything to work. Any thoughtS???

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball
Various other swag
$ 4.95
Hardware
ULEKstore
Hardware

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stampede-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.