(Topic ID: 312325)

Stern St vs SM do you think one is better than the other?

By rai

4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by spidey
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What do you prefer?”

• SM 14 votes
    74%
  • ST 5 votes
    26%

(19 votes)

#1 4 months ago

I have owned SM twice and ST three times (LEx2 and premium currently), owned them both at the same time for a while.

What's your opinion as to which is better and why?

They have a lot in common, both Stern Steve Ritchie DMD games with three flippers and three ramps, both have dots with available Color DMD (I think ST has better custom dots as opposed to muddy SM animations with a lot of screen rips from the movies). Both are movie tie-ins with movie call outs and both have actor custom callous, both mod up well, both have strong themes. SM has by far the better custom callouts by JK Simmons.

I love both and think SM flows a bit better (the Venom ramp is my favorite shot on either game). SM seems to be more same game every time sort of thing while ST we can pick our own adventure with different goals and shot multipliers. I didn't find that either of the early mini-wiz modes were that great but there is a sense of accomplishment getting to these early mini-wiz modes. Both can play long, but SM seems to be the longer one (almost too long).

If I have a larger collection, I would like to have both but to pick a better one it's ST mostly because of the way you can pick the missions.

#2 4 months ago

Need a third option to answer the literal question in the topic title: no, I don't think one is better than the other. Each great in its own way, ultimately very similar.

#3 4 months ago

SM might be better but I'd rather have ST due to the redundancy of SM

#4 4 months ago

I'd have to give the edge to Spidey. I have fun playing that game. Star Trek is more work than fun, to me.

#5 4 months ago

I've had both and still have STLE and it's one of my favorite Sterns. I like the variety of numerous modes, and even if there's similarities I like the different a/v package with each mode. I also like how in ST the orbits are usually open for massive flow, whereas in SM they usually divert to the pops, but I get it, otherwise you could never make the Venom shot.
But I'd like to get SM again because I like the Spiderman movies and of course it's a similar but great layout. Add STTNG into the mix and that's a lot of pinball with similar layouts, but it's all good. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Machine - For Sale
Orange County, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!