• Latest reply 9 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

on my Stern ST Pro Im getting a switch error on one of the ramp optos (also registers ghost points during play)

"Left ramp entrance Last SW. #14 GRN-BRN / TAN-BLU"

Im relatively new to this, whats the best way to fix this? Do I have to replace the opto?

image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Reseat the opto connector a couple times. Should go to a small board below the playfield in that area.

Stern uses the same opto both sides, and they glow red. If one is dim it is possible the opto is flaky.

LTG : )™

#3 9 years ago

Mine had issues because the stacked Plastics next to ramp was touching it ever so slightly. I trimmed the plastic a bit and had no further issues. So you may want to check to see if the stacked plastic mound is touching left opto on left ramp at all.

#4 9 years ago

I had a helluva time with this one, stern sent me the small opto board as it failed, when then new one installed it was misaligned on the ramp ever so slightly to have the light hit the ramp hole and splinter the light, hence continually triggering the opto and making the game unplayable.. a real pain in the ass, but I eventually got it figured out, also oddly had a cracked solder joint on the opto board, Im guessing the issues were independant of each other but took forever to get right..

#5 9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions,

I spent some time this weekend trying to fix and had no luck. Reseated the opto connectors, made sure the holes in the ramp were free of debris, loosened the screws to align the opto better.

Everything looked fine in switch test, but as soon as I pressed a flipper it would start spazzing out, flickering on and off again.
Odd thing was that I could then trip the opto with a finger, then when I pulled the finger away it would stop the switch flickering.
Then a flipper activation and it would go right back to going on and off.

pretty stumped at this one

btw, is this the opto that it uses? http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1210

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Evan55:

Then a flipper activation and it would go right back to going on and off.

Pull the small board the optos plug onto. Reflow the solder on the pins the optos plug onto and the big connector plugs onto.

Then put it back in and try it.

LTG : )™

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-st-pro-ramp-opto-error and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.