(Topic ID: 71415)

Stern ST - Boring to watch? (Strategy talk now!)

By FrederikFrost

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 116 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by EricR
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

T2...jpg
Troll.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tomgwi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from FrederikFrost:

Hello folks.
After watching several videos from Papa, and their livestream today I've found myself sitting here thinking, that I just don't enjoy watching ST at all. I don't know how why, as I in general love watching those tournaments (not as much as playing myself obviously > ) but ST just doesn't seem to do it for me. I think I got the rules down quite well, and I understand what's going on, but I just feel, meh. Other machines I've seen doesn't do this, be it Bally, Stern, Williams or whatever.
Does anyone else have that feeling about this machine in particular?
(Note, I bet ST is A BLAST to play, though I don't know as I don't have that kind of funds- this topic is merely discussing watching the machine).
EDIT: This is NOT a bash ST thread.

Might not be your game and that is okay.

I had a JD that I couldn't stand. The rules seemed rather boring to me and just couldn't get into the game. Everyone has there favorites and ones they dislike. I couldn't imagine watching someone play it either. Would be torture.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from FrederikFrost:

Yeah that may be something that takes some of the buzz off. Timing out modes is not for the viewers pleasure, Thats for sure! :=)

Did you watch Bowen's tutorial? Might be better than watching the finals from Expo.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

What you mean you don't like watching players stand and time out modes?
That seemed to be the strategy in ST today. Play Space Jumps, try to bring 3rd mode into multi, and time out modes to reach Kiwasaki multiball. I've brought up concerns about ST software in three different threads, and everyone keeps ignoring how simple and stale the software is right now.
I think you should be forced to complete a mode to get credit for it. Needs a lot of rule enhancement but that'd be a good start.

Don't you know the 6 mode totals are part of KM MB.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

Yep, but they were still doing it. They play 2-3 modes, maybe a 4th Vengence MB. If you aren't in Super Ramps or a multi, then they'd time the other modes out. I know, your jackpot total will be less. But that's what was happening. Re-read the thread title to see what we're discussing.

Who ended up winning today?

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

I don't understand the 2 and 3 deep modes, like Space Jump II and Space Jump III.... what's the advantage to going 3 deep? You'd get Super Ramps but you also get it with the normal 3 in a row, which gets you that much closer to Kobayashi?
Of all the matches yesterday, the games on ST were definitely the most boring, and every player (I believe) timed out modes in their games on it. Every game on ST looked to roughly go the same strategy towards Kobayashi, by way of Space Jumps/Save the Entr/Prime Dir, bringing a mode or Super Ramps into the main multi, and then timing out the final 2-3 modes on the other side of the triangle. Definitely more "boring to watch" than the other games, no doubt, and since all the games followed roughly the same strategy involving timing out modes, it felt stale.

Sorry, you are wrong. Completing the 3rd version of any if the modes will give you 2x shoot multiplier.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Maybe rather than turning on instant info if you are standing there with a ball cradled they should just start playing something like the Jeopardy theme really lound to try to shame and embarass, and at the very least annoy, time out players.
Or they could code the game to give less of an incentive
And the 3 deep modes don't make sense to me either. What is the point of going 3 deep (do the points escalate nicely?) vs just going for KM multiball?

Shot Multiplier .

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

LOL It was a question, how can I be wrong when I simply asked what it does? Ok, so playing (or timing out) 3 modes deep will give you a shot multiplier. I didn't see anyone trying to do that, so the path towards Kobayashi with mode time-outs is the preferred strategy.
The point remains. ST was the most boring of all the games to watch. Every game, at some point, on ST involved watching a player stand around and time out modes. And it was the only machine whose rules encouraged mode time-outs, which I hate.
I feel the rules would be less stale if mode completion was required to get credit for a mode. And if it was actually difficult to accomplish... like you have to hit two combos in certain amount of time (hit a shot which lights another shot for a couple seconds), chase a shot around, lighting the shots for mode completion is qualified by one initial (tough) shot or combo, etc. Things like that. Those are interesting to me. These modes seem to all merge together a bit and just don't seem very interesting. Hey, it's an opinion! There's nothing I saw which is as interesting as Fireball Frenzy or Seek and Destroy, or ....pick almost any mode in LOTR or TSPP. To me, the way you can time outs modes and complete them makes a ruleset seem stale by comparison, and yes I know, I know, you won't get as much credit for it in the final multiball. Adding that helps, sure, but I'm not overly impressed by this ruleset yet.

Sorry. I misread your post and apologize.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tomgwi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-st-boring-to-watch?tu=tomgwi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.