(Topic ID: 71415)

Stern ST - Boring to watch? (Strategy talk now!)

By FrederikFrost

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 116 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by EricR
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

T2...jpg
Troll.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mechslave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 10 years ago

What you mean you don't like watching players stand and time out modes?

That seemed to be the strategy in ST today. Play Space Jumps, try to bring 3rd mode into multi, and time out modes to reach Kiwasaki multiball. I've brought up concerns about ST software in three different threads, and everyone keeps ignoring how simple and stale the software is right now.

I think you should be forced to complete a mode to get credit for it. Needs a lot of rule enhancement but that'd be a good start.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Don't you know the 6 mode totals are part of KM MB.

Yep, but they were still doing it. They play 2-3 modes, maybe a 4th during Vengence MB. If you aren't in Super Ramps or a multi, then they'd time the other modes out. I know, your jackpot total will be less. But that's what was happening. Re-read the thread title to see what we're discussing.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Who ended up winning today?

I believe Bowen won. Zach, Bowden...not sure who was 2nd/3rd. And Jeff Palmer (pinball corpse) was 4th. I was watching it on iPad while big screen had the Dolphins v Panthers going.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

The software is not simple or stale in my opinion. The ability for players to go for Level 2 or Level 3 modes immediately adds another dimension to the ruleset, literally. I don't understand why people are bashing these rules, to me they are pretty fun and solid. Are there potential improvements, sure, but you could say that about any game, any time.

I don't understand the 2 and 3 deep modes, like Space Jump II and Space Jump III.... what's the advantage to going 3 deep? You'd get Super Ramps but you also get it with the normal 3 in a row, which gets you that much closer to Kobayashi?

Of all the matches yesterday, the games on ST were definitely the most boring, and every player (I believe) timed out modes in their games on it. Every game on ST looked to roughly go the same strategy towards Kobayashi, by way of Space Jumps/Save the Entr/Prime Dir, bringing a mode or Super Ramps into the main multi, and then timing out the final 2-3 modes on the other side of the triangle. Definitely more "boring to watch" than the other games, no doubt, and since all the games followed roughly the same strategy involving timing out modes, it felt stale.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Sorry, you are wrong. Completing the 3rd version of any if the modes will give you 2x shoot multiplier.

LOL It was a question, how can I be wrong when I simply asked what it does? Ok, so playing (or timing out) 3 modes deep will give you a shot multiplier. I didn't see anyone trying to do that, so the path towards Kobayashi with mode time-outs is the preferred strategy.

The point remains. ST was the most boring of all the games to watch. Every game, at some point, on ST involved watching a player stand around and time out modes. And it was the only machine whose rules encouraged mode time-outs, which I hate.

I feel the rules would be less stale if mode completion was required to get credit for a mode. And if it was actually difficult to accomplish... like you have to hit two combos in certain amount of time (hit a shot which lights another shot for a couple seconds), chase a shot around, lighting the shots for mode completion is qualified by one initial (tough) shot or combo, etc. Things like that. Those are interesting to me. These modes seem to all merge together a bit and just don't seem very interesting. Hey, it's an opinion! There's nothing I saw which is as interesting as Fireball Frenzy or Seek and Destroy, or ....pick almost any mode in LOTR or TSPP. To me, the way you can time outs modes and complete them makes a ruleset seem stale by comparison, and yes I know, I know, you won't get as much credit for it in the final multiball. Adding that helps, sure, but I'm not overly impressed by this ruleset yet.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

It's interesting that there's been bashing of the game as a mode-timeout fest, when the same general concept was used in Star Trek tng.

Yeah, for me personally, it's about making the ruleset better, not bashing it. I love the shots and the theme, and I'd maybe like to own one someday. So when I comment on the ruleset, I'm trying to find ways to make it better, ie. worth my precious money and sacred space in the future.

I do like the idea of going 3 deep for a shot doubler! Right now, I think if they just made the shots a little more varied for modes, and required completion (not just a 'final shot') in order to get credit for the mode, then those two things alone would fix many common complaints. And it'd also shake the nick "Time-Out Trek."

For purposes of this thread, it was more about what would make it more interesting to watch, and those same sorts of fixes would apply to that as well.

#49 10 years ago

The damn Khaleesi Multiball for cryin out loud! You know what he meant!

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

I was more bored watching castle-fest on MM.

Yeah, and castle-fest didn't last long for most, the gate bouncebacks were brutal. I kept wanting to see someone break out of the mold and get a 25M countdown going...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 24.95
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mechslave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-st-boring-to-watch?tu=mechslave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.