(Topic ID: 71415)

Stern ST - Boring to watch? (Strategy talk now!)

By FrederikFrost

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 116 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by EricR
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

T2...jpg
Troll.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bkerins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

What you mean you don't like watching players stand and time out modes?
That seemed to be the strategy in ST today. Play Space Jumps, try to bring 3rd mode into multi, and time out modes to reach Kiwasaki multiball. I've brought up concerns about ST software in three different threads, and everyone keeps ignoring how simple and stale the software is right now.
I think you should be forced to complete a mode to get credit for it. Needs a lot of rule enhancement but that'd be a good start.

While it's important to get to Kalahari Multiball, that's not the end-all, and the rules make that mode more valuable depending on how you've performed to that point.

The software is not simple or stale in my opinion. The ability for players to go for Level 2 or Level 3 modes immediately adds another dimension to the ruleset, literally. I don't understand why people are bashing these rules, to me they are pretty fun and solid. Are there potential improvements, sure, but you could say that about any game, any time.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

Yep, but they were still doing it. They play 2-3 modes, maybe a 4th during Vengence MB. If you aren't in Super Ramps or a multi, then they'd time the other modes out. I know, your jackpot total will be less. But that's what was happening. Re-read the thread title to see what we're discussing.

This is not actually what happened, at least not in my own play. I know other players were timing out to get the multiball, but they sacrificed point value to do so. In the first-edition software this was a good plan, but I don't feel it is the best way to play the game for score in the current version.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

I don't understand the 2 and 3 deep modes, like Space Jump II and Space Jump III.... what's the advantage to going 3 deep? You'd get Super Ramps but you also get it with the normal 3 in a row, which gets you that much closer to Kobayashi?
Of all the matches yesterday, the games on ST were definitely the most boring, and every player (I believe) timed out modes in their games on it. Every game on ST looked to roughly go the same strategy towards Kobayashi, by way of Space Jumps/Save the Entr/Prime Dir, bringing a mode or Super Ramps into the main multi, and then timing out the final 2-3 modes on the other side of the triangle. Definitely more "boring to watch" than the other games, no doubt, and since all the games followed roughly the same strategy involving timing out modes, it felt stale.

I won't disagree with the similar player strategies. One purpose of going II or III deep is that the modes are worth more points -- Klingon II and Nerd II are very big -- and completing a III lights a shot doubler. A player who is sitting well toward Kobayashi should consider playing a II or III mode instead to boost a shot value or just to cash some points.

It's interesting that there's been bashing of the game as a mode-timeout fest, when the same general concept was used in Star Trek TNG. In that game, there are 7 modes and an eighth final mode, and your performance in the 7 modes determines the relative value of the final mode. Players who are close to Final Frontier will frequently start a mode with the express purpose of timing it out.

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

I truly don't mean any offense in this statement: have you actually played the game and gotten to warp 9.9?
It's insanely difficult. 18 shots - if you make it, it gets faster and harder to control; if you miss, you brick off the lock targets at full speed into the right outlane.
If you can consciously get to 9.8 as a strategy and use the add-a-ball properly, you are a much better player than I sir. I saw many a game at expo in person with many great players and I have yet to see 9.9 achieved in 3 ball play, let alone used as a strategy.

Here's 9.9 achieved in 3-ball play, though not in multiball. It's too risky to be a viable competition strategy: to take 18 shots that could drain the ball, there better be a huge reward.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bkerins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-st-boring-to-watch?tu=bkerins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.