(Topic ID: 71415)

Stern ST - Boring to watch? (Strategy talk now!)

By FrederikFrost

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 116 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by EricR
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

T2...jpg
Troll.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SolarRide.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 10 years ago

Ok, so completion of prime directive I, space jump I, and save the enterprise I give super ramps. Can someone please post the following:

1. Which 3 level 1 mode completions give super spinner (I think it's the bottom three of the triangle) - I can then figure out which 3 modes' level I completion gives super pops

2. Shot Map correspondences: what level III mode completions yield which shot doublers (it was posted that save the enterprise III completion doubles right ramp)?

3. Are those correspondences from question 2. the same for cobbyoni palou shots (so save the enterprise III doubles right ramp and I am asking if the right ramp during cobbyoni palou awards accumulated save the enterprise mode points) ?

4. Are level II and level III mode points added to cobbyoni palou shots or only mode points accumalated through level I ?

5. Not a question, but on MET coffin can be brought in after sparky is started. same with snake and gravemarker (commentators at PAPATV said you have to start coffin first to stack it with another mb).

Thank you.
solarride

#34 10 years ago

Yes, I have only played the MET pro. Thank you. With regard to star trek strat as of v1.3, I was thinking that you could leave one mode completely unstarted (not even level I). Complete level 2s on the remaining modes, and then level III of a ramp mutliplier (like save the enterprise) and then start level 1 of unstarted mode, time out and start coobyoni paluo for 2x doubled right ramp and plus super ramp, plus mode II accumulated points on shots (assuming these aggregate for coobyoi shot points).

Quoted from sk8ball:

You are thinking of Met pro. Prem/ LE you cannot.
Also since the shot doublers on ST go away at the end of the ball unlike the captains chair modes the mode timeout to KM is the only viable strat. If Lonnie changes it to stay the whole game or X amount of shots you will see more strategy variation.

#37 10 years ago

Thank you SLC. I should have realized the color correspondence.

Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Correct

The KM multiball shots correspond to the doublers. I don't know them off the top of my head, but pull a video of KM multiball and the colors will show you where the doublers will fall (to my knowledge)

Don't know. Wouldn't surprise me either way. I don't know if anyone can confirm at this point, or even confirm what the Kalamazoo Magoo multiball is for tier 2 or 3.

#39 10 years ago

He meant Calamari.

#43 10 years ago

Ok, for those that are color blind, I took the liberty of freezing

at 15:52 and came up with

Shot Doubler and tekkamaki maroon correspondence map (can be placed right next to the song bonus chart of someone's website if they want ):

Prime Directive: Left saucer
Klingon Battle: left ramp
Save the Enterprise: Right ramp
Space Jump: right orbit
Destroy the Drill:Warp Ramp (Side Ramp)
Nero:Left Spinner

Correct

The KM multiball shots correspond to the doublers. I don't know them off the top of my head, but pull a video of KM multiball and the colors will show you where the doublers will fall (to my knowledge)

Don't know. Wouldn't surprise me either way. I don't know if anyone can confirm at this point, or even confirm what the Kalamazoo Magoo multiball is for tier 2 or 3.

Post edited by SolarRide : Dtd had wrong shot assignment

#44 10 years ago

No.

Quoted from molspin:

Are the Calamari and Nerd modes stackable?

#51 10 years ago

That's too bad about the inconsistency. For the remaining shots, the small red combo arrow will be lit solid for the rest of the ball if the level III mode was completed to reflect the doubling as you know. There is not even a red combo arrow for the warp ramp. Hopefully the other 5 modes follow the color-coding shot doubling which SLC mentioned. It is ridiculous IMHO not to follow the same logic with DtD as the other shots and I hope the software will be changed to be consistent. It's amazing how paranoid the programmers of Star Trek are that something will get exploited. I mean vengeance scoring is a timed mode for Pete's Sake ?! Heaven forbid that the top tenth of one percent of players will get 4x the center shot on a consistent basis. Someone in the top tenth of 1% in skill will get a replay without the 4x vengeance "exploit", so all the coders are doing is taking away enjoyment for highly-skilled players.

With Keefer,Lyman, and Dominy being the only top level player/programmers I guess I shouldn't be surprised (did I miss anybody ?)

Quoted from sk8ball:

This is correct. No 4x vengeance scoring Would like to see the Captains Chair awards stack when you finish with a corner mode. So if I complete PD mode to finish the left and right sides I should get Super Ramps AND Bumpers. Would definitely add some strategy rather than just blowing out the right side awards ASAP.

#62 10 years ago

That's not what I wrote. I wrote "there is not even a red combo ARROW for the warp ramp". I was referring to the small red arrow insert that's on playfield for each of the other mode shots. I said nothing about the BULB that lights for combo on the Warp ramp. Furthermore, there is no large color code arrow in front of the warp ramp. If they wanted to be consistent (that was the idea of the post) they would have made the vengeance shot the DtD doubler since it flashes the same color as DtD during Calamari Gazoo and has the combo INSERT (like the other five shots). Apparently the programmers are intimidated by precision play since 4x Vengeance appears off limits. All it does is reduce fun for good players.

Quoted from Excalabur:

Not true. The little red light on the warp ramp "insert" floating above the ramp lights for combo, I believe.

#64 10 years ago

Why is the color of the large insert below the vengeance target the same as that of the DtD insert of the triangle during booberifo bagoo ? Shouldn't the bulb at the top of the side ramp flash yellow during booberifo bagoo instead of red since that was the shot that was meant to be the drill doubler ?
I don't think it's odd that you can't double the vengeance shot, I think it's lame that you can't double it.

But theres no room for either insert on the PF so they moved it to the little sign above the warp ramp. The insignia 'insert' and the doubler lamp are both there. I'm not too worried about the consistency on the location of the lights but it is odd that you can't double the vengeance shot.

#71 10 years ago

Well if you've racked up big points in the modes prior to the KM MB you would want to have warp 9.8 going into it and a lit black hole target (using vengeance mb and/or klingon mb to get close to 9.9) to add a 3rd ball into play or to rescue the multilball by hitting the Warp ramp, so its definitely important.

It doesn't look to me like the warp ramp is lit for squat during KM multiball but maybe I'm wrong?

#79 10 years ago

Yes. Here is a question for you and I truly don't mean any offense:

Did you know that the shots don't have to be continuous to get to Warp 9.9 ? The shot progress is saved.

Also, I would assume on location that everyone goes for 3 ramps to light the EB at the vengeance target, so at that point you need 15 additional ramps.

I truly don't mean any offense in this statement: have you actually played the game and gotten to warp 9.9?

#81 10 years ago

I wasn't suggesting it as a tournament strategy (and maybe you weren't suggesting that I was).

Quoted from bkerins:

Here's 9.9 achieved in 3-ball play, though not in multiball. It's too risky to be a viable competition strategy: to take 18 shots that could drain the ball, there better be a huge reward.
» YouTube video

#83 10 years ago

Proposed v1.3 Stern Star Trek Strategy:
1. play all but one of your level I's
2. play the level IIs of the modes you played in step 1 (so stay away from the mode you haven't played at all yet because you don't want to start Kobiyashi Maru prematurely) in the following way:

completely finish level II for a couple of the modes and then for the others finish most of the shots until you are down to two or three shots (status report tells you how many shots are left) and then TIME OUT these modes so it ends with two or three shots left (take note of which shots are left). Just make sure the last two shots left over for the deliberate time-out are the shot doublers for the modes you plan to finish at level III and not the timed out mode. The reason for this is that these last couple of shots are absolutely massive in points (the last two shots of NERO for example were worth 5 or 6M points each undoubled iirc) and you want to shoot them with both the shot doubler (available for completing a level III mode) and combo doubler for 4x points.

3. Ok, taking note of which shots are left over for the deliberately timed-out level II modes, proceed to complete level III for the modes corresponding to those shots using the level II modes you did finish so that the 2x shot doubler is available for those shots of the timed-out unfinished level II modes.

4. Now start the level II modes you deliberately timed out and for each, hit an unlit shot to lite the combo doubler for one of the lit shots. Hit the combo hurry-up plus the 2x shot double for 4x MASSIVE POINTS (remember these are the last two shots of the level II mode so they are huge to begin with).

Just doing this should get you 30 or 40 M points for the mode, so doing this for three modes gives 120M.

5. Now start level 1 of the mode you stayed away from in step 1. So that Kobiyashi Maru is lit when it is finished. Since you got massive points in some of the modes, KM mb will be worth ridiculous points (and don't forget, you still have your shot doublers going into KM).

I'm thinking you can get a 300 M score using this type of strategy.

#87 10 years ago

If you start multiball with a mode going and hit the warp ramp (I never suggested doing this in single ball play) via the spinner shot followed by the right flipper you get:
1. credit for a mode shot on the warp ramp (iirc it's at 2x combo because of the spinner shot but not 100% certain).
2. credit for a jackpot shot on the warp ramp (iirc it's at 2x combo because of the spinner shot but not 100% certain)
3. credit towards getting an add-a-ball at the ramp

Have you ever witnessed anyone cradling a ball on their left flipper and then shooting a spinner ramp combo with another ball on their right flipper ?

By doing this during multiball with a mode brought in your risk v reward is just fine IMHO. Also I am only suggesting this as a strategy (read my original post if you don't believe me) if your KM is at a high value. Under these circumstances you don't want it to end quickly, and this is mitigated by having add-a-ball options primed.

Yup and It's still something I've never witnessed in person or achieved, and it's still valueless imo as a scoring strategy once you reach EB. Old software had it reset each ball I believe which is just outrageous, but even still it's ridiculous to make 18 warp shots for an add a ball. The EB at warp 4 is a perfect reward imo.
Compare to Metallica (cause I have one ) - the cross drops are typically the most dangerous shot in that game imo - 18 shots to that in one game would be roughly 2-3 multiballs (can't progress in a MB like ST I know) or multiple millions in jackpots and on top of it, it multiplies bonus. I would argue the warp shot is MORE dangerous than the crosses AND more difficult to make AND awards substantially less.

#89 10 years ago

I do not know if it applies to the level 1 wizard mode. I do know that 4x the last couple shots of a level II mode is very large regardless of whether it can be leveraged in KM or not.

Do we know that level 2 scoring applies to the level 1 wizard mode? I don't think your KM MB would be that big with this strategy, but it would be lucrative.
Next strategy I try
Complete level 1 and 2 of Save Enterprise
Complete level 1 of Space Jump or Prime directive (whichever is worth more)
Complete level 3 Save the enterprise (ideally with MB) to double up the right ramp
Time out (or play out) level 1 prime directive/space jump (whichever level 1 is left to get 3 in a row)
Your super ramps should be lit for 800-1 mil depending on mode performance, collect them all on the right ramp in combo for 4x.

#91 10 years ago

Ok, since it is hard for you to hit then at least have the black hole target lit if you have gotten a lot of level I mode points going into KM. As for me, I am going for the home run on location. I would not use this strategy in a tournament and never suggested that I would.

Yes I do it on High Speed and STTNG all day, but those ramp shots are significantly easier (for me at least)

#94 10 years ago

I could see SLC's Save the Trenterprise strategy being used in a tournament since it is the easiest shot doubler.

Quoted from JC_Pins:

This is great hear some in depth strategy options. It seems like this game can be viewed as either points based or mode based. The 2x combo feature gives it the ACDC feeling, plus more traditional mode goals too.
Keep the strategy talk going....

#96 10 years ago

Great point

Quoted from JC_Pins:

Another simple strategy is to never start any MB while playing a level 1 mode.
Save them up for the higher point levels.

#98 10 years ago

Well if it includes level II points then you could get KM to a very high value by playing the level II modes (stacked with multiball as you suggest) rather than timing them out since the last few shots of each level II mode are very high in value.

#100 10 years ago

Gotcha. You meant timing out level 1 modes, not level 2 modes.

Quoted from JC_Pins:

Right, but just worried the level 1 modes would get timed out to move on to level two.
If KM only works for level 1 then big reason to play those out.

#109 10 years ago

You are correct, you cannot finish the level 2 modes by timing them out. However, I am not talking about timing out the level 2 modes to finish them in my previous post. I am talking about letting the timer run out when you only have two or three shots left leaving the level 2 modes purposely unfinished. Then completing level 3 modes which are shot doublers for those unfinished shots in the purposely-unfinished modes, re-entering those purposely-unfinished level 2 modes with the shot doublers in place, and cashing in the remaining high-value shots with the shot doublers in conjunction with the combo doubling for very large point values (4x times a high-value shot).

In regards to SLC's concern of having the unfinished shots in a given mode being the same as that mode's shot doubler, you would shoot the early shots of that mode purposely at that mode's shot doubler to eliminate them so that the remaining high-value shots would be on a different mode's shot doubler.

For example, in Nero, you would hit the spinner shot whenever it is flashing during the initial, low-value shots of the mode, and never hit the right ramp shot (unless it totally bottle-necks shot-progression of the mode) since it is the easy-to-get Save the Trenterprise right ramp doubler (so you would focus on completely finishing Save the Trenterprise III after purposely timing out the level II Nero and then re-enter L2 Nero with the right ramp shot doubler).

With this sort of focus, it is very likely you will have high-value shot/shot doubler combinations. Through trial and error the easiest combinations will be found.

And then v1.35 will come out and wipe out this strategy since it might result in a replay for a small subset of people who play pinball machines

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

This would be fine except you can't time out the level 2 modes, only the level one modes as I understand it. Correct?

1 week later
#112 10 years ago

Thanks Keith. You have confirmed what I thought in
"http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/st-le-is-incredible-out-of-the-box/page/4" which is that how well you did in l2 modes has nothing to do with mini-wizard mode 2 (I haven't gotten to mini-wizard mode 3 yet). Also, I believe I got a big Destroy the Drill in KM even though I did nothing in the L1 mode (I timed it out until the final shot). I have a theory that just hitting the coruscating final shot of each L1 mode at the end might be a big determining factor in the KM value for the L1 mode. But for certain it is bizarre that I got a big value in KM for an essentially timed out L1 mode. I found out about the shot doubling "bug" you posted the hard way. I had the Save the Trenterprise right-ramp doubler during Klingon L2 and KM and it did nothing; only the combo doublers worked.

So right now the best confirmed strat I have used is to use vengeance mb to safely and continuously shoot the right 3-bank to build up torpedoes during ball save. Then after getting out of Vengeance mb, lock two balls for Klingon MB and light the 3rd up center (shoot lock 2 in left saucer so lock 3 is center top). With the ball cradled use your smart missiles to light vengeance scoring and then shoot the center to stack Klingon mb and vengeance scoring. Then just combo and center during Klingon mb for both mb jackpots and vengeance 2x jackpots. Other than that, simply timing down L1 modes and finishing with the coruscated shot and then playing out the L2 modes seems to work (back-handing left ramp and then shooting a lit shot on the right side for L2 seemed successful for a lot of the L2 modes).

Thanks.
Solarride.

Quoted from sk8ball:

Finally got some decent play time in on the new code (1.30). Unfortunately you guys are making it more strategic than it really is
The shot doubler you get for finishing a level 3 mode does not effect the mini wizard modes or Captain's Chair. In fact it seems very quirky in what does and does not get doubled. Also bringing a combo into a doubled shot still only awards 2x. So no 4X anything at this point.
Level 2 modes do not affect KM multiball so there is no benefit of holding off starting it.
The level 2 wiz mode is completely different than KM and has nothing to do with how well you play the previous modes.
Completing a corner piece to finish two lines for Captains Chair still only lights one award.
The drop target is an invalid switch meaning you can short plunge to the bottom flipper, shoot the drop, drain, repeat until Vengeance is ready.
Hopefully Lonnie can make some tweaks as this game has some real strategy potential.

#114 10 years ago

Good question. When I shot the right ramp during Klingon L2 mode with the right ramp doubler, it seemed to do nothing.
Actually I hate to say this, but I THINK it (the L3 ramp doubler) actually NULLIFIED the combo doubler (so just 1x the shot) ?! But not 100% certain on this since the font on the DMD is very small for the values of the shot doubled or not. I know my score didn't jump up much at all for the anal setup involved.

The coruscated shot is definitely worth more than the other final shots, but it is difficult to double since hitting any other non-coruscated shot at the end will simply finish the mode. You need to hit some other shot with about a second left and then hit the coruscated shot to double it. But it's hard to tell which shot will be coruscated on the fly so I just play it safe and hit a coruscated shot without the combo doubler.

Interesting. Would at least explain what makes that one shot special, but it's kinda dumb. I'll keep an eye out next time I play.

So is the implementation just not there yet at all, or is it just not a 4X doubler on combo?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SolarRide.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-st-boring-to-watch?tu=SolarRide and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.