1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by creepykenny
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

WildFyre_SwitchMatrix.jpg

#1 1 year ago

stern wildfyre 6 digit display issues .....
    this one is giving me headaches, the 6 digit display at player 3 location (and only at player 3 ) is "ghosting" the credits / player info of the 5th display
    i.e. current 39 credits are appearing on flicking display three at same time as flashing on display 5, i have swapped the displays around and problem is only at location of player three, also ran a jumper from the mpu J1 pin 22 to display three pin 15 bypassing the original wire going with no change, displays are known good, header pins have been reflowed and all work perfectly in every location except position for player three
    swapped mpu with a known good Alltek - no change so its not the mpu, ghosting problem still exists at player three
    connectors appear good, no visible break in wiring are seen
    an additional wrench in this mix is that two controlled playfield lamps also are oddly flickering in sync with display strobing, which is some how making me think there is some very strange wiring issue afoot, and there has been alot of wiring repair work done on this one due to mouse modifications

how to sort this out ?

open to any ideas and all suggestions, hopefully this makes some sense

#2 1 year ago

want to add that this is not an actual display problem, only a problem with what is being displayed .... doh

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from creepykenny:

an additional wrench in this mix is that two controlled playfield lamps also are oddly flickering in sync with display strobing, which is some how making me think there is some very strange wiring issue afoot, and there has been alot of wiring repair work done on this one due to mouse modifications

The signals on the MPU board that are used to select displays are also used to select lamps and drive the playfield switch strobe signals.

Disconnect J2 (playfield switch harness) and J3 (cabinet switch harness) from the MPU board and also J4 from the lamp board.

If the player 3 display behaves correctly after powering on, then power off and plug in one of these disconnected connectors at a time to locate which subsystem is causing the issue.

BTW if you disconnect the credit/match display, does it make any difference to player display 3 ?

#4 1 year ago

really great advice, using your ideas i narrowed it down to a problem with J2 at the mpu, when 4/J2 is unplugged all displays work perfectly, so i will now remove the wires one at a time from that connector to find the culprit

yeah, i previously tried disconnecting the credit/match display with no change to display player 3

#5 1 year ago

The player 3 display select signal also comes out on MPU J2 pin 3 to the switches. The playfield switch schematic says it's a white-blue wire that is the switch Strobe #2 signal.

If you reconnect all connectors, remove the ball and raise all drop targets, does switch test mode report any closed switches?

#6 1 year ago

i checked for switch errors and there are none and all switches register correctly, surprising to me since this one arrived not working and i am raising it from the dead

will check out pin three

#7 1 year ago

Do any of the switches on strobe #2 work?
    WildFyre_SwitchMatrix.jpg

#8 1 year ago

FIXED!

well, its definitely in this row, and for some reason even with with w-blu wire disconnected 4-J2 pin 3 switch the saucer 1 switch still works

hmmm, this is it, a closer inspection of switch at saucer 1 reveals that the bare GI wire is touching & shorting the return line - this wire runs under the three upper saucer switches making it near impossible to see
    corrected by bending the tab away from bare wire, place bit of electrical tape on the bare wire and now all is good!

thanks Quench for the help

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 279.95
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 41.00
    € 4.99
    Flipper Parts
    Multigame
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Women
    The Flipper Room
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    $ 17.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    BK Pinball
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 20.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Electronics
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 13.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    $ 249.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 119.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside