Pinside_forum_6753476_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7356176_0 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230406_035956785 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230406_035137893 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230406_035112354 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230406_035057682 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7504182_0 (resized).png
PXL_20230401_190812467 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky672.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from PinRetail:

I'm pleased to suggest Wire-Bot! They are providing an amazing service to the pinball community.
https://wirebot.xyz/collections/18-awg-wire

25¢ per foot seems expensive for 18 AWG stranded wire in PVC. With the bulk discount, that's about double what industrial suppliers are charging. On the plus side, you can get 10 colors in any length so there would be very little waste. Buyer beware, and shop around.

Pinball suppliers are great for pinball parts, but this generic stuff can easily be obtained elsewhere. Is this your store? I only ask because the website does not say much about them, and the limited inventory focused on pinball makes me wonder if it's one of those temporary niche stores. The company name is generic but the inventory is pinball focused. Not necessarily a problem, but when something new pops up, one should be careful.

I wonder if anyone still makes wire with the 3 colored stripes like in an old Gottlieb? Or maybe not; by color code, not counting 000 and 999, that would be 998 unique stripe combinations.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkAnderson:

Its not my store.

But I asked the question in reply to this user...

Quoted from PinRetail:

I'm pleased to suggest Wire-Bot!

#38 1 year ago

That's the same one I got for my Gottlieb. It worked fine.

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

yes those results aren't right as you know, and as mentioned, it's unlikely every winding shorted and killed the transformer.
the following is an observation, not a criticism, so please don't be annoyed, but, where you have joined your transformer wires to your new rec board should be done again IMO.

I agree with both of these statements. Very very unlikely every winding in the transformer is blown. And besides, the voltage for some of your lights is still coming from someplace.

Are you sure you had your meter set to read "AC", not DC volts? Depending on the meter and absent any offset voltage, when reading AC using the DC setting, it shows zero.

#55 1 year ago

At the moment I am using 7 and 6 for a input as stated above.

As long as the schematic is correct, that would explain zero volts.

#58 1 year ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

Possibly didn't read all of post 49 ? regarding changing the lug joiners?
6 & 7 will always be the same for J2 on the rec board for incoming AC, it's where 6 & 7 join to the transformer that matters.

You may want to go back and fix post 35:

Quoted from Rikoshay:

... join your mains AC power to lug 6 and your AC return to lug 7

#67 1 year ago

I connect the power to 1 and 5.

And you also have 1 jumped to 3, and 5 jumped to 7, right?

#69 1 year ago

Yes 1 jumped to 3 and 5 jumped to 7 and I checked both tabs for continuity after soldering. I removed the existing jumper between 9 and 11.

Power it down and test the resistance of the windings at lugs 8 to 10. If you're getting zero volts, I would expect open windings (infinite resistance) here... and that of course would be confirmation of a failure.

#74 1 year ago

What is your resistance reading from 8 to 10 ?

#93 1 year ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

but I can't understand what would break continuity for that winding

I don't believe continuity is broken, because I think he previously stated that he read 1 ohm between 8 & 10. Then again, I am not entirely sure he took that reading with the transformer isolated from the corresponding circuit.

#95 1 year ago

Do I pull the fuses before I check the ohms on 8 to 10

Yes. According to your schematic, if you pull out fuse F2, then transformer winding at lugs 8-10 will be isolated from the machine for a proper reading.

#98 1 year ago

I just tried to replicate the numbers and I get nothing.

Double check the integrity of your DMM meter leads... sounds like a lead may have an internal broken connection or where it plugs in could be flaky. Not uncommon. Your DMM also relies on an internal battery for resistance readings. Make sure it's good.

Whenever I get flaky readings, I check to make sure my leads are fully seated into the DMM; sometimes they pop out halfway.

#106 1 year ago

... is too tight to get solder far enough down the lug to get to the break in the connection.

It's doubtful that you would be able to fix a break in the wire by running solder down in. Transformer windings are enamel coated so solder cannot stick to that. You would have to expose the break, scrape off the enamel coating to shiny bare copper, and even then soldering wire ends butted together is a very weak connection.

... I'm at a standstill because the glued metal pieces don't come off and the winding and paper don't seem to come apart.

Please post a photo of where you believe the break is at.

#108 1 year ago

What is sticking out of the paper behind it? Is that a piece of debris or is this a wire that is supposed to be connected to this lug?

Somebody who is more familiar with how this particular transformer is wired up should chime in here.
Pinside_forum_7459754_0 (resized).pngPinside_forum_7459754_0 (resized).png

#113 1 year ago

It looks like it was attached to lug 10 at one point and broke off.

Then if that's true, it's the connection from the lug to the winding. Scrape the enamel from this wire here and you should be able to verify this via measurements. In other words, instead of touching lug 10 with your DMM, which is now a lug not connected to anything, touch it to that piece of wire behind.

You should be able to repair this now as long as you don't break it off farther inside. Copper is subject to work hardening, so the more you bend it, the more likely it will break off.

IMO, I would get an UN-insulated wire butt splice (as pictured) and solder it onto the end of this piece of wire. Then you can use another piece of wire to make a fresh connection back to lug 10.

61YGB2WMCyL (resized).jpg61YGB2WMCyL (resized).jpg

#115 1 year ago

I suppose that it fades in and out because it is a coated wire or because it gets moved on the wire while I am checking.

If you haven't sanded or scraped away the enamel, it's going to be difficult to get a solid reading on the broken end of a small wire.

I would clear off about 1/4" to 1/2" or so if possible. Then use some flux and solder to tin the wire. Then once the wire is tinned, it should be easier to get solder to wick up into a butt splice. Try to find a butt that is just barely large enough for the wire to slip in; the closer the fit, the better the solder will wick.

#122 1 year ago

8 to 10 should be 173 and it tests at 182 vac

Excellent!

#125 1 year ago

It is back together but what "paper" can use to print the lug numbers on that is going to be heat resistant and will take laserjet or inkjet printing?

FYI - Most ordinary paper takes an incredible amount of heat before it combusts. Something close to 500° F. Kraft paper? Manilla envelope paper?

However, to avoid disintegration over time, maybe something like parchment paper (baking aisle) would work? Otherwise, can you just re-attach the original paper? Something like varnish or enamel should work well as an adhesive.

EDIT: Plain brown paper bags are made from kraft paper.

#128 1 year ago

I haven't replaced the varistor so I would assume the varistor is blown ?

Varistors are for clamping spikes and are wired in like capacitors (across the voltage). In other words, a blown varistor would not stop anything from powering up. Measure your incoming voltage starting with the cord, and be methodical.

#131 1 year ago

I think that the under the machine switch regulates the power to the rectifier board through j2 6 and 7 so I am going to pull out the schematic and check to make sure.

A flaky power switch would not be an uncommon failure.

#133 1 year ago

Testing the power switch from yellow to white I get 120v when closed but I get 30v when open. Shouldn't I get nothing when open?

Yes, a switch is either open or closed. Sounds like you might need a new switch. Also, you could use resistance mode.... should read close to 0 ohms when the switch is closed (on) and infinity when the switch is open (off).

#136 1 year ago

Its two switches that operate in parallel.

Not electrically "parallel" as that is something else entirely. Two poles that operate together... DPST (double pole, single throw).

main-qimg-4649e058c2fc1e129a52a6b7afa40095 (resized).pngmain-qimg-4649e058c2fc1e129a52a6b7afa40095 (resized).png

So when I test the switch I need to test black to yellow and see if it changes on opening and closing. Then I need to test White to blue/white to see if there is a change when it is closed. I will use both Voltage and Ohms.

Yes. Sounds like it.

Remember, when measuring voltage at the switch, you will measure zero volts on a hot line if you measure across a closed switch. Measure voltage across both lines (hot to neutral) instead, on one side and then on the other.

main-qimg-4649e058c2fc1e129a52a6b7afa40095 copy (resized).pngmain-qimg-4649e058c2fc1e129a52a6b7afa40095 copy (resized).png

When measuring resistance, you would measure through each side of the switch instead.

main-qimg-4649e058c2fc1e129a52a6b7afa40095 copy 2 (resized).pngmain-qimg-4649e058c2fc1e129a52a6b7afa40095 copy 2 (resized).png

#139 1 year ago

Is negative one the Same as infinity?

I don't know. My meter doesn't do that.

But if -1 is the same as infinity, then your meter would always read -1 while you're holding the probes in mid air.

while I'm waiting for a new switch. Do I just wire nut black to yellow and white to blue white until my replacement arrives ?

Sure, why not. You will have to plug/unplug to turn it on/off. Otherwise, if you have an ordinary house switch, you could just temporarily wire that up on the hot side and leave the neutral side connected without a switch. That's how most appliances are wired up... only the hot wire is switched. Just make absolutely sure you are switching the hot wire on/off... verify it on your cord/plug. On a standard 15-amp, 110 VAC plug in the US, the narrow blade is hot (also sometimes brass color), and the wider blade is neutral (sometimes silver color).

#141 1 year ago

Yep I have several house switches and great with wiring those around the house.

Easier yet... do it your way... hard wire... and just plug the machine into a switched power strip or surge strip.

I'd still verify the hot/neutral wiring on the power cord regardless.

#144 1 year ago

Where would I look to identify that wire?

What wire? Look at your schematic.

Or are you talking about hot vs. neutral?

#150 1 year ago

... FUSE 1 10 AMP BLEW right away.

According to your schematic, what circuit is Fuse 1 protecting, and does it verify as 10-amp?

#158 1 year ago

Bridge rectifier 1. ....
The FUSE in the schematic calls for a 10 amp fuse and the blown fuse was a brand new 10 amp FUSE.

Suspect a major problem, short, in Bridge Rectifier 1 if the 10-amp fuse immediately pops. Surely, this is the root of all of this....

Goes to feature lamp bus which is interesting because that was missing on j2-3 connector. Feature lamp bus j1-3, j1-7, j3-6.
Also interesting the feature lamps never have worked since I bought the machine.

Well, there you go.

#160 1 year ago

How do I find out what is making fuse 1 blow when I connect j1 and j2 and j3 to the rectifier board. J1 is what triggers the fuse blow.

You'll need the schematic of the rectifier board. Then start at the J1 header working your way through testing each of the components. At 10 amps, surely something is shorted to ground.

I cannot be more specific because I do not have one here, nor do I have the schematic.

1 week later
#177 1 year ago

The wall has no ground although the outlet has a physical hole for the ground.

Time to call an electrician. Seriously. This is a very unsafe condition.

I tested both hot and neutral to ground at the wall and get nothing.

You are supposed to read zero volts from neutral to ground. You should never see voltage between neutral and ground on a properly wired outlet.

However, if you cannot read 110/120 VAC from hot to ground, you have a serious problem.

Verify your meter... do you read 110/120 VAC from hot to neutral?

#181 1 year ago

I get 0 from neutral to ground.
I get 121 from hot to ground
I get 121 from hot to neutral.

Those are the expected readings.

#190 1 year ago

... On the kitchen counter with mains coming in from the wall I have the following:
2 TO 6 I GET 50.1 vac SHOULD BE 49
17 TO 18 I get 6.6 vac SHOULD BE 7.3 vac
13 TO 14 vac I get 7.6 vac SHOULD BE 7.8
15 TO 16 vac IT IS 12 vac SHOULD BE 12
8 TOO 10 I get 182 vac SHOULD BE 173 Vac

Looks good.

#200 1 year ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

How is this possible with all of these Voltage changes at each of the testing points? You need to recheck all of your soldering work on the rectifier board. Be 100% sure your solders are solid on both sides! Especially your bridge rectifier and fuse clips.

Yeah... I have to agree. And I'm honestly having a hard time following along. One minute, all voltages test good and the next minute, some are zero. This machine definitely has something loose or broken, probably hidden inside of heat shrink or tape.

#201 1 year ago

All 7 fuses have continuity.

What's your test method here?

A fuse can have continuity but the fuse holder or clip could be garbage.

#203 1 year ago

I will recheck all the soldering on the rectifier board. I will check solder on both sides of the board. I will double check the Bridge rectifier and the fuse clips.

Not just your soldering. Verify every connection in the circuit. You may have something under shrink wrap or tape that is not even soldered at all. The amount of time spent on verifying voltages is concerning.

#207 1 year ago

I will verify each connection in the circuit. Right now the wire that i fixed that was loose on the transformer is loose again. It is on lug 10.

I had originally suggested that you fill the uninsulated crimp with solder. That method should never come loose.

Originally when I tested continuity I tested from a point on the trace associated with the fuse to a point on the trace associated with the other side of the fuse.

Sounds reasonable.

#214 1 year ago

In a previous post, you reported 183 VAC at transformer tabs 8 & 10 so that's good.

However, in various other posts, you've reported many different voltages at TP2, one time as low as 33 VDC. (Loose connections?)

Looking at the schematic, with 183 VAC input, if you're now not getting something that is at least 230 VDC at TP2, then you only have to test/inspect diodes CR1, CR2, CR3, CR4, resistor R3, and all the wires/connections in between. (Assuming F2 is solid.)

Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 2.58.38 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-03-30 at 2.58.38 PM (resized).png

#217 1 year ago

You would definitely know which is my issue. 8 to 10 on the transformer is that small wire that was sticking out of the transformer that was loose from the transformer lug. It is the one that you and I discussed and after our discussion I connected the wire to a crimp connector and then connected a wire to the crimp connector and then filled the connector with solder and soldered the wire onto the lug. It still seems to vary in voltage at least 10 volts from time to time. Is it more likely that is my issue or is it more likely the board is my issue?

I would not worry so much about +/- 10 VAC variation right now.

If you should have 230 VDC when the transformer is putting out 173 VAC, then a little more (183 VAC) should give you a little more than 230 VDC... not less.

#219 1 year ago

Get a toothbrush and some alcohol and scrub off all that excess flux. Otherwise, visually, I don't see any issues. You really need to test those 4 diodes in the bridge circuit. Scroll down to the diodes section for test procedure. This is a test with power off.

https://www.testmultimeter.com/2021/11/multimeter-test-bridge-rectifier-diode.html

#221 1 year ago

I tested it in board and it is working.

"working" or all diodes passed the DMM test?

I suggested the DMM test for all diodes, because if one diode is bad, you're still going to read DC output but it's going to be partial.

#223 1 year ago

I did both your suggested diode test and I also did the test from pinball help.

I don't know what else to say. The circuit is super simple and if you're getting full AC voltage from the transformer, then you should see full DC voltage at the test point.

Pinside_forum_7504182_0 (resized).pngPinside_forum_7504182_0 (resized).png

#224 1 year ago

Where exactly are you putting the other DMM lead when testing DC voltage at TP2 ?

#230 1 year ago

TP2 increases under load. With J3 and J1 unplugged I only get 175 VDC is that somehow a factor ?

I am not a Stern guy, but I would think that the test points would have a specific test procedure associated with them. What does the manual say to do regarding taking these readings?

I don't get a constant reading on the resistor at TP2. I assumed it was flux giving it a bad connection but it just changes constantly.

Just looking at the circuit, without capacitors, you're not getting smooth DC at TP2...

output-wave-forms-of-full-wave-rectifier-1 (resized).jpgoutput-wave-forms-of-full-wave-rectifier-1 (resized).jpg

Top shows the 60 Hz AC sine wave coming out of your transformer.

Bottom shows the pulsating "DC" coming out of your "full-wave bridge" rectifier, oscillating between zero and full voltage 120 times per second.

Short answer: What you're reading depends on the quality of your DMM...

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/a/572935

(for kicks, you could try reading TP2 using the AC scale)

#232 1 year ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

just a suggestion, put your boards back in, all your connectors back on and tell us what happens?
i wouldn't be too fussed with the low HV reading, wait and see if your game boots up, goes into attract mode and displays come on and then check test points 2 and 4 on the solenoid driver board.

Yep!

#236 1 year ago

I am guessing that you are saying that if i had a good fluke multimeter it would read a constant rating of an average of that second curve.

Actually a good meter might read RMS, and a cheap meter might read the average. But basically the idea is that you are not going to read the pulsating DC the same as you're reading the AC, which is RMS.

I looked in the Split Second manual and there is nothing. I looked on Clays site and Pinwiki and couldn't find anything there either.

TP2, IMHO, is not a great test point given the pulsating DC that must be measured. At this point, I'd verify the four diodes and resistor, and their connections (you did all this already), and just move on.

Like others stated more recently, we've beaten this horse to death.

#258 1 year ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

It's odd having correct voltages then incorrect then this n' that.

Following along with this thread at times can be frustrating. Like there is something obvious being missed.

Quoted from Rikoshay:

Is your battery in your multi meter okay?
Are you able to test the resistance of your leads? You'll need a spare lead that can be a substitute for the one in test.

I think I had asked about this several pages ago. Something seems off.

#260 1 year ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

just cannot wrap my head around the voltages that just mysteriously disappear.

Whenever I see that, I immediately assume my meter, leads, or technique and try again. Usually it's my meter, leads, or technique. In those situations, I get out the alligators and clip on my leads after verifying the setup with a known voltage. Once the meter is clipped on, then it's easier for me to poke around looking for flaking connections.

#268 1 year ago

On the ground braid.

Well, I have no idea (w/o seeing schematics) if using your ground braid is the same as reading across here...

Pinside_forum_7504182_0 (resized).pngPinside_forum_7504182_0 (resized).png

RMS is the root mean square of the waveform? - equivalent DC value of an AC waveform.

Very simplistically, yes.

#280 1 year ago

I get 187 on the ground braid I get 197 from tP2 to the point circled on your schematic.

So there's a 10-volt drop between the negative side of the bridge rectifier and your ground braid. I am not saying this is causing any of your issues, but I would suspect a dirty or inadequate ground connection someplace....

Quoted from snyper2099:

I suspect an inconsistent ground issue simply because it would be odd to have all 3 present and then suddenly be missing all 3 next time you check, unless ground was the underlying cause of the problem.

#282 1 year ago

How do I track it down and remedy the issue ?

Look at your schematic. How/where does the negative point of the bridge rectifier between CR3 and CR4 connect to the braid? Start here and physically trace it back through each connector and connection point.

#284 1 year ago

I found the connector that ran from the backbox ground plane to the ground braid. It was very loosely connected so I ran a small hex screw between them for a more permanent consistent connection.

As snyper2099 already pointed out, maybe this was the source of all these whacky voltage disappearances.

Did you clean the metal mating surfaces before tightening this connection?

If you had to add a screw, then what exactly was holding it all together when you found it? Can you post a photo?

#287 1 year ago

The only point that I can see where CR3 and CR4 connect to the braid is they end up on the ground of the board which connects to A2J3 Pin10 which is labeled as the ground.

I don't understand why we are jumping backwards. I thought the ground issue was already found and fixed here...

I found the connector that ran from the backbox ground plane to the ground braid. It was very loosely connected

#290 1 year ago

I would imagine that it would be beneficial and probably not a negative to connect the extra ground on the weebly rectifier board to the ground braid or should I just leave it?

It would not hurt anything to hook it up. Maybe your 10-volt differential will go away.

#328 1 year ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

But, the more important point is that test point #2 is ACTUALLY testing the DC voltage that comes FROM the Sol. Driver board. SO, your problem is most likely that the Sol. driver baord's High Voltage section needs rebuilt.

He said it was TP2 on the rectifier board. Isn't that coming straight from the transformer and rectifier?

Pinside_forum_7504541_0 (resized).pngPinside_forum_7504541_0 (resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 125.00
$ 69.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky672.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-split-second-no-flashes-playfield-gi-on-no-backbox-lighting?tu=sparky672 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.