5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Good-Times
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Good-Times.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Does anyone know the sensitivity of factory stern speakers? Specifically this is a jp premium, so the newer ones. I'm trying to understand all of this speaker information and one thing I've picked up is you need an efficient speaker for pinball machines. If you don't have an efficient speaker and you only replace the cab speakers with inefficient speakers, the balance between cab and backbox will be messed up. The only way around that is to add resistors (or get new speakers), but I have no idea how many ohms of resistance I would need to add because I don't know the sensitivity of stern speakers. According to Amazon the speakers I bought have a sensitivity of 82 dB

I'm not sure, but 82dB is ridiculously insensitive and you'd certainly need an external amp to drive them properly imo. I just purchased some new 5 1/4" coax speakers fo upgrade my Pro, and found some at 93dB. My guess is, much like cheaper car audio speakers, that the stock speakers are very efficient and most likely above 90dB to allow for the weak af in-built amplifier.

1 week later
#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

It's perhaps better to discuss speakers for pinball in your own words rather than trying to compare speaker specs, since most folks won't really care as much about rated efficiency or sensitivity. I would suggest that what they care about is :
1) Is the sound quality of the game good? Does the audio sound crisp as it should be, and can they feel the lows. Do voices sound natural? Are sound effects believeable?
2) Is the volume enough for the space you are playing the machine? In a small room, you typically need less volume, but in a larger room you could use more.
Best to describe what you are hearing (or not hearing) and then decide what to do and see what others are doing...

I disagree. We need to discuss speakers that suit the pinball machine's amplifier. Everything else can come later (tonal preferences). I assure you if you offer your machine's amp an 82dB 4ohm speaker, you will hear next-no-nothing and your amplifier will most likely not last long. The cheap speakers most commonly used, are selected to suit a low-powered amplifier module on the audio board. So in order to improve the sound without additional amplification, you will need to meet or exceed the stock speaker sensitivity rating (rated in decibels at 1w at 1m). At a guess this would be between 88 and 91 from the factory. I would select 88db as an absolute minimum. This is the first spec you need to look at when selecting a speaker. Then if it's Spike 1 you most likely want an 8ohm driver (uncommon) or Spike 2 is fine with 8 or 4ohm drivers. Then and only then can you look to the other specs such as frequency response, your favourite colour etc etc.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 16.00
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Charles, IL
$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Good-Times.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spike-speakers-and-ohms?tu=Good-Times and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.