Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by hocuslocus
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Stern.jpg
    WWELEshakerPL.jpg

#1 8 years ago

I just noticed that the Stern Spike Shaker Motors are now listed for sale at PBL:
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3710

Has anyone tried hooking one of these up to a WWE Wrestlemania yet?

It looks like the external circuit board is no longer required as it was with the previous model of Stern shaker.

#2 8 years ago

Shit. Will the old shakers not work????? I have a brand new shaker waiting for KISS.

#3 8 years ago

Looks like the Rev. A & Rev. B Shaker Motors don't have a long enough Wiring Harness to be used on the new Spike System.

An easy fix for most of us - cut Wiring Harness insert X feet of 18AWG Wire Shrink Tubing splices in place & done.

Apparently Spike also doesn't need/use the 520-5065-00 Motor Interface Board referenced above.

#4 8 years ago

Awesome pricing on both the Spike system shaker and the old Rev B shaker.

#5 8 years ago

I ordered one for WMLE. I enjoy the shaker in my Royal Rumble as it really fits the theme perfectly. I noticed on the recent WrestleMania code update, it mentioned updates to the shaker implementation so I'm curious how it will be used. Haven't played a recent Stern game with a shaker to compare, but that's a good price. Friends who visit and aren't into pinball get a kick out of the shaker effect, but seems mostly just a fun little gimmick.

#6 8 years ago

where you have to connect it?

#7 8 years ago

Just got my Shaker this weekend. Installation was easy as there are already mounting holes in the cabinet to the right of the coin box. The included wiring was the perfect length to reach the node board on the left side (near the tilt bob).

After installation, I started up a game and didn't notice any shaker motor action. Then partially through the game, all flippers stopped working except for the left one. When the game ended, the start button is now disabled as well (even though it's on free play.) Upon checking the system menu diagnostics, it shows that the node board is not initialized. A light is now lit on the board under the small fuse, which looks to have blown...

Hopefully replacing the fuse will get the game up and running again, but not sure if there's a problem with the motor itself, or what...

#8 8 years ago

Little update - the fuse is not blown... but my node board is.

Pinball Life walked me through various troubleshooting, but we couldn't determine a solution. I was directed to call Stern for additional troubleshooting. After talking to Stern and sending them a photo of this shaker motor, he immediately identified that it had a capacitor soldered to the frame which grounds out to the cab which will damage the node board. He said cutting the capacitor off so it no longer grounds to the frame will likely allow these motors to work fine, but they've not tested them and they are not official Stern products. He mentioned one other person has contacted them with the same issue and is sending in their motor for inspection. At this point my node board is fried and will need to be replaced... not pleased.

#9 8 years ago

Can you share a photo of what to look for?

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheKreator:

but they've not tested them and they are not official Stern products

Crap - I just ordered this shaker for my WWELE. So I should contact Terry and cancel the order?

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

Can you share a photo of what to look for?

Here's the pic of mine installed with the capacitor Stern said is the problem.

WWELEshakerPL.jpgWWELEshakerPL.jpg

Quoted from Asylum:

Crap - I just ordered this shaker for my WWELE. So I should contact Terry and cancel the order?

I wouldn't cancel just yet, as he mentioned simply disconnecting the capacitor should solve the problem - but don't use it as-is if yours has a capacitor attached to the frame. Unfortunately since my node is already fried, disconnecting the cap won't do me any good until I get a new node board.

#12 8 years ago

Just an update - Terry is sending me a new node board and confirmed that removing the cap will correct the issue.

Good to know for future reference to inspect your shaker before you install it, but I'm certain they will be checking their inventory so there shouldn't be any worries going forward.

Scott and Terry were very helpful and I sincerely appreciate the excellent customer service!

#13 8 years ago

So, using a Rev B shaker will work with a Spike game as long as you check/correct the capacitor?

#14 8 years ago

Yep, just got off the phone with Terry @ Pinball Life. He wanted me to post to reflect what he told me:

If you have already attempted to use his Spike shaker motor without clipping that capacitor, then your node board is blown. Don't try to troubleshoot it any further. Terry will send you a new node board if you have blown yours. Terry said they are e-mailing all Spike shaker motor customers now about the issue. If you don't receive an e-mail within the next day or so, go ahead & contact Pinball Life ([email protected]) & they will make it right.

For those that have ordered the shaker but have NOT installed it, he said you should be fine AS LONG AS YOU CLIP THE CAPACITOR COMPLETELY OFF BEFORE INSTALLING.

Terry said he's picking up a batch of new node boards from Stern on Thursday that he will use to send out to all affected customers.

#15 8 years ago

I have a Spike Shaker motor, brand new, won't need it. I can send it out for $115 shipped in the lower 48. PM me. Don't blow your node!!

#16 8 years ago

Just to let you know, Pinball Life is making this right. They just called me on a motor I haven't installed yet.

This kind of stuff happens.

Great company! Good job Terry and Scott!

#17 8 years ago

Good they fix this immediately and help their customers!
    just one comment, it's hard to see from the add that we're not talking original stern product here

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from gawcol:

Good they fix this immediately and help their customers!
    just one comment, it's hard to see from the add that we're not talking original stern product here

Agreed. The way they have it named now makes it sounds like it's an official Stern product:
    Stern Shaker Motor Kit (Rev C) For SPIKE System Games

They should rename it something like:
    Pinball Life Shaker Motor Kit (Rev C) For Stern SPIKE System Games

#19 8 years ago

Just a quick update - I installed the new node board (thank you Terry!) and clipped the capacitor off and everything works perfectly!

The shaker is extremely powerful, so I went into the Service menu and the default is "Maximum" use, but I turned it to "Minimal" and that's seems just right. I'm sure with additional code updates, it will be incorporated a little more into gameplay and with variance in shake strength based on what's happening, but for now it has a solid shake on each wrestling move landed during a match, and a bigger shake for finishing moves. It also does some big shakes on starting multiball modes and jackpots.

#20 8 years ago

Stern added a Facebook warning about the pinballlife shakers. I ordered one for Kiss, but I'll clip the capacitor.

Does anyone have a picture? Do I just cut it off and leave the wires hanging? I'm very concerned and obviously don't want to blow my node board.

#21 8 years ago

Hey there,
    This is a really good service bulletin and applies to all aftermarket shaker motors. Not to worry though, all Pinball Life shakers for SPIKE systems are shipping without the capacitor and will not damage your machine. Please PM me if you have any questions and I will gladly chat. Thank you,
    --Scott

#22 8 years ago

I picked up the pbl shaker before the Spike shaker was available, so I have one with the capacitor.

Bit of a Debbie Downer here, but I thought it was an OEM Stern shaker when I bought it. No mention that it was aftermarket, and I probably wouldn't have purchased had I known. Did I miss something?

#23 8 years ago

Just wanted to report that my Pinball Life SPIKE shaker motor is working great now!

Terry came through with delivering me a new node board which I installed yesterday.

I removed the capacitor from the shaker motor as indicated in the service bulletin & re-installed.

Works & shakes like a champ now!

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinB:

Works & shakes like a champ now!

Got mine over the weekend from Pinball Life. It had the capacitor already removed. I installed it and it doesn't work. My game is fine... the shakers just doesn't work. Could just be a random bad one out of the box I guess. I'll get with Terry when they return from their vacation.

#25 8 years ago

Here is the service bulletin Stern posted on FB a few days ago.
    Stern.jpgStern.jpg

#26 8 years ago

Good On Terry on stepping up and replacing the Node Boards!

JJ

2 years later
    #27 6 years ago

huh, I blew a node board along time ago. wonder if it was related...

I purchased a few of these sam rev.b ones from pinball life and put it in a ironman vault. There was a J3 connection on the game, assuming this is for the OEM shaker motor. I honestly had no idea there were aftermarket shaker motors till today.

I tried to look on marco's site to see the difference btwn the two interface boards. looks like the OEM has a lot more components, talked to a tech at stern he said that their most recent revision had the ground connection due to a symptom they had with when the shaker went off the flipper moved. guessing it's pretty rare, since he said they used the previous revision for years with no issue.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spike-shaker-motor-now-for-sale-at-pinball-life and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.