• Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0618 (resized).jpg
IMG_0617 (resized).jpg
Stern-ShakerMotorAdvisory.pdf (PDF preview)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kingbw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 5 years ago

I was told by someone (who you can also by new Sterns from on their website) that if you upgrade AS to version 0.93, you don't need to worry about it for AS and don't install the capacitor. Is this correct? Anybody know? Just want the straight story.

1 month later
#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

I think there might be two different parts, just based on the pictures I've seen of both cap kits.
The picture above is has the capacitor wired to pins in the center. The picture in the Service Bulletin and I've seen around pinside has the capacitors wired with the 48V and ground wires on the outer pins of the connector. It is indeed the same capacitor, however.
Not sure what the right answer is as I have not received my update kits yet but there are 2 different part numbers for the update kits. I would think if it was the same part, they wouldn't create a new part number.

I received mine and the bulletin online wiring did not match the bulletin received in with the part that was wired a little different. I'm thinking that they are still trying to figure it out with the next version of the fix. The two different part numbers are that one is for one node board, and one is for another. The instructions explain which boards they go to.

By the way, I still got a reset. I didn't upgrade my AS to the latest software yet though that is suppose to help solve it also.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Was the reset during a lot of action in a multiball?

Just after the toy box multiball - probably within 5 seconds. Went to scoop for the extra ball, popped out of there, went right for the elevator drop target, hit it and the lights went out, but the flippers were still working until the version number screen popped up, then the flippers went dead too until the reboot completed. First time I've seen it happen.

So there was likely stacked video stuff for the end of toys, the extra ball stuff was started, probably the song mode was timing out or close to it, then the elevator was probably trying to show it is qualified for a lock.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Check the output from the power supply to the distribution board. I would bet you're not quite at 48v. If the power drops low, the watchdog resets the machine. It usually happens in or around multiball.

48.2 volts measured at the cn3 connector.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Then maybe you actually found a bug still in the software. The only other thing I can think of is to stick alligator clips on a meter in min/max mode and play the game to see if it registers a low below 48v when in multiball or heavy action.

I will see if it happens again after I do the minor most recent software update that came out a couple of months ago. But this shows to me that the capacitor fix alone doesn't fix it. I don't have a shaker, but want to add one. Pinball life said that they believe it is a software issue when I asked about their shaker and all of this. Maybe it's a combination, I don't know.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I don't think the resets and the capacitor shaker motor fix are related. Two completely separate issues, maybe three (line noise, software, power supply voltage), and the capacitor/shaker motor thing is only related to the line noise, while the resets are the result of one or both of the others.

Thats a theory that I support.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kingbw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spike-shaker-motor-advisory-for-mystery-slam-tilt?tu=kingbw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.