• Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0618 (resized).jpg
IMG_0617 (resized).jpg
Stern-ShakerMotorAdvisory.pdf (PDF preview)

#1 5 years ago

I thought this Stern Advisory would be useful to those of you who have a SPIKE system pinball with the shaker motor option.
This applies to all games that are SPIKE 1 or SPIKE 2 systems.
Cabinet Node Capacitor Kit 502-7059-00

Stern-ShakerMotorAdvisory.pdfStern-ShakerMotorAdvisory.pdf

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from Mrjamma:

I thought this Stern Advisory would be useful to those of you who have a SPIKE system pinball with the shaker motor option.
This applies to all games that are SPIKE 1 or SPIKE 2 systems.
Cabinet Node Capacitor Kit 502-7059-00

Thank you very much for posting. I cannot find this on the Stern website. I will be asking our distro for some kits.

#3 5 years ago

FYI: I very recently bought a Stern Shaker and apparently the fix is already implemented on it.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from SmallKingTut:

FYI: I very recently bought a Stern Shaker and apparently the fix is already implemented on it.

Wonder if that is the “revision C” version.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from SmallKingTut:

Do you know how to tell the difference between the different revision shakers? I cannot see any difference. I should be able to see the capacitor somewhere.

Thanks

#6 5 years ago

I was told by someone (who you can also by new Sterns from on their website) that if you upgrade AS to version 0.93, you don't need to worry about it for AS and don't install the capacitor. Is this correct? Anybody know? Just want the straight story.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Do you know how to tell the difference between the different revision shakers? I cannot see any difference. I should be able to see the capacitor somewhere.
Thanks

I was told I have the new 502-5027-01. So I dont need the kit. Not sure about anything else.

#8 5 years ago

To avoid confusion, there is no capacitor fitted on any Stern shaker motors. If you want to know if your machine is protected or not, please see response from Stern below:

The capacitor will be cable tied to the plug that supplies power to the cabinet node board. This is plug CN14.
These cannot be used internally to the shaker motor.

Cheers

1 week later
#9 5 years ago

So a week ago I got a NIB BM66 Premium that was built February 02, 2018. I then ordered a Stern shaker from Pinball Life and the instruction sheet says it is (Rev. C). It is now installed and running with no problems so far. I cannot see a capacitor anywhere along the wiring. Do I need the kit?

UPDATE: I spoke with Stern today and, yes, I do need the kit. They are sending one out to me today or tomorrow.

1 month later
#10 5 years ago

Hi Everyone,
Can anyone please tell me ..

Is there any difference between ..
Cabinet Node Capacitor Kit 502-7059-00 for the shake motor Capacitor Kit 502-7059-01
and
Capacitor Service Kit 502-7060-00 for Node bds 8 and 9

Are these both the exact same thing? same cap? same wiring?

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

Hi Everyone,
Cabinet Node Capacitor Kit 502-7059-00 for the shake motor Capacitor Kit 502-7059-01
and

Dunno about the shaker motor kit, but the 502-7060-00 Service bulletin Node Board kit is a 220uf 80v cap if someone wants to check their shaker motor capacitor kit to see if the cap is the same. I imagine it is.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Dunno about the shaker motor kit, but the 502-7060-00 Service bulletin Node Board kit is a 220uf 80v cap if someone wants to check their shaker motor capacitor kit to see if the cap is the same. I imagine it is.

Thanks Vireland, Yes, I have the node bd kit. in fact they sent me an extra set so that's why I'm asking.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yes it's the same !

- Under Playfield : 220 uf 80 V
- Shaker Motor : 220 uf 80 V

The picture with the glove, is the one for the shaker motor.

IMG_0617 (resized).jpgIMG_0617 (resized).jpgIMG_0618 (resized).jpgIMG_0618 (resized).jpg
#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Bertille:

Yes it's the same !
- Under Playfield : 220 uf 80 V
- Shaker Motor : 220 uf 80 V
The picture with the glove, is the one for the shaker motor.

You give yourself white glove service?!

(Thanks for confirming the caps are the same - but the wiring is different?)

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

Hi Everyone,
and

I think there might be two different parts, just based on the pictures I've seen of both cap kits.

The picture above is has the capacitor wired to pins in the center. The picture in the Service Bulletin and I've seen around pinside has the capacitors wired with the 48V and ground wires on the outer pins of the connector. It is indeed the same capacitor, however.

Not sure what the right answer is as I have not received my update kits yet but there are 2 different part numbers for the update kits. I would think if it was the same part, they wouldn't create a new part number.

#16 5 years ago

Is this a free part from Stern, because my Distro wants to charge 12 bucks for it.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Is this a free part from Stern, because my Distro wants to charge 12 bucks for it.

Step 1.
Call Stern direct. 1-800-KICKERS. It's a free service bulletin part.

From the Service Bulletin: "To acquire a Capacitor Service Kit, US customers should contact Stern Pinball, Inc. at 800-542-5377 or
[email protected]
All customers outside of the US should contact their distributor."

http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/service-bulletins/service-advisory-shaker-motors/Stern-ShakerMotorAdvisory.pdf

Step 2.
Get a new distributor.

#18 5 years ago

I talked to Stern tech support and they are sending out a kit for free. My distributor said go ahead and return the one they sent. Is the Pinball Life Spike 2 shaker motor the same as Stern's? The info on PBL's site leads me to think so, but the bulletin says that adverse effects are possible with non-factory motors....

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

I think there might be two different parts, just based on the pictures I've seen of both cap kits.
The picture above is has the capacitor wired to pins in the center. The picture in the Service Bulletin and I've seen around pinside has the capacitors wired with the 48V and ground wires on the outer pins of the connector. It is indeed the same capacitor, however.
Not sure what the right answer is as I have not received my update kits yet but there are 2 different part numbers for the update kits. I would think if it was the same part, they wouldn't create a new part number.

I received mine and the bulletin online wiring did not match the bulletin received in with the part that was wired a little different. I'm thinking that they are still trying to figure it out with the next version of the fix. The two different part numbers are that one is for one node board, and one is for another. The instructions explain which boards they go to.

By the way, I still got a reset. I didn't upgrade my AS to the latest software yet though that is suppose to help solve it also.

#20 5 years ago

Before I got my IMDN Prem in I emailed and asked my distr. About this bulletin and if they would be installing the cap kit since my dist was also installing a shaker.

They said the problem was with earlier runs of IMDN (assuming the first run pros) and that new runs didnt have this problem and didnt need the kit.

That being said she did say if it were necessary to install the kit either stern would have it already installed or they (the dist) would install it before shipping.

I looked over mine when I got it in and there is no cap kit that I can see anywhere on the node board that the shaker is plugged into or installed directly connected to the shaker.

I have not had any resets or false slam tilts at all. So maybe they fixed this issue afterall on newer runs and the kit is not necessary for them?

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

By the way, I still got a reset. I didn't upgrade my AS to the latest software yet though that is suppose to help solve it also.

Was the reset during a lot of action in a multiball?

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Was the reset during a lot of action in a multiball?

Just after the toy box multiball - probably within 5 seconds. Went to scoop for the extra ball, popped out of there, went right for the elevator drop target, hit it and the lights went out, but the flippers were still working until the version number screen popped up, then the flippers went dead too until the reboot completed. First time I've seen it happen.

So there was likely stacked video stuff for the end of toys, the extra ball stuff was started, probably the song mode was timing out or close to it, then the elevator was probably trying to show it is qualified for a lock.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Just after the toy box multiball - probably within 5 seconds. Went to scoop for the extra ball, popped out of there, went right for the elevator drop target, hit it and the lights went out, but the flippers were still working until the version number screen popped up, then the flippers went dead too until the reboot completed. First time I've seen it happen.
So there was likely stacked video stuff for the end of toys, the extra ball stuff was started, probably the song mode was timing out or close to it, then the elevator was probably trying to show it is qualified for a lock.

Check the output from the power supply to the distribution board. I would bet you're not quite at 48v. If the power drops low, the watchdog resets the machine. It usually happens in or around multiball.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

I am in Germany, My Distributor didn't charge for it. I think he's not allowed to either. I'd probably innocently ask about the 12$ policy at Stern and have them kick your distributors ass for it.

Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

I talked to Stern tech support and they are sending out a kit for free. My distributor said go ahead and return the one they sent. Is the Pinball Life Spike 2 shaker motor the same as Stern's? The info on PBL's site leads me to think so, but the bulletin says that adverse effects are possible with non-factory motors....

I'm using this with the PB life shaker. No issues. Im quite sure Stern is just making these statements only to cover for liability and maybe to convince people to buy more expensive original shakers.

#25 5 years ago

Pardon the critic. But I couldn't resist. I think it is cute, that Stern releases a photo from inside their game, with the tilt being off balance all over the place.

I have been observing this for a while. Not only is the current tilt assembly used by Stern costed down. But it also seems hacked in on the line by somebody with four self carving screws and a stop watch. And no template. Seems like.

The ring made from a length of wire, seems to have wide tolerances. And when also mounted without washers, no wonder it is hard to mount perpendicular to the bob. In two planes. And centered.

On this particular example, it is actually not even possible to center the ring without relocating the screw and carving a new hole. It's is highly unfortunete with no greater attention to this in production.

They may not care much. Or find it not worth while. But I will recommend to reengineer either the assembly (the ring), the install procedure or both. Especially now with the competition tilt debounce setting. A quality tilt assembly - and calibrated - is crucial for a consistent and good player experience. A fair playing game.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Check the output from the power supply to the distribution board. I would bet you're not quite at 48v. If the power drops low, the watchdog resets the machine. It usually happens in or around multiball.

48.2 volts measured at the cn3 connector.

#27 5 years ago

their own shakers pop boards too, Just happened to me and still waiting if they back their own shakers .
took a perfectly working stern shaker from my Got pro. put in new HUO Got Prem and a popping sound happened when shaker should have shook ,then . Game will not boot due to node board failure of node board 1 / Great job Stern / Plug and play my expletive

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

48.2 volts measured at the cn3 connector.

Then maybe you actually found a bug still in the software. The only other thing I can think of is to stick alligator clips on a meter in min/max mode and play the game to see if it registers a low below 48v when in multiball or heavy action.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Then maybe you actually found a bug still in the software. The only other thing I can think of is to stick alligator clips on a meter in min/max mode and play the game to see if it registers a low below 48v when in multiball or heavy action.

I will see if it happens again after I do the minor most recent software update that came out a couple of months ago. But this shows to me that the capacitor fix alone doesn't fix it. I don't have a shaker, but want to add one. Pinball life said that they believe it is a software issue when I asked about their shaker and all of this. Maybe it's a combination, I don't know.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I will see if it happens again after I do the minor most recent software update that came out a couple of months ago. But this shows to me that the capacitor fix alone doesn't fix it. I don't have a shaker, but want to add one. Pinball life said that they believe it is a software issue when I asked about their shaker and all of this. Maybe it's a combination, I don't know.

I don't think the resets and the capacitor shaker motor fix are related. Two completely separate issues, maybe three (line noise, software, power supply voltage), and the capacitor/shaker motor thing is only related to the line noise, while the resets are the result of one or both of the others.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I don't think the resets and the capacitor shaker motor fix are related. Two completely separate issues, maybe three (line noise, software, power supply voltage), and the capacitor/shaker motor thing is only related to the line noise, while the resets are the result of one or both of the others.

Thats a theory that I support.

2 weeks later
#32 5 years ago

I just received both update kits and confirm the capacitors are identical in both kits as others said earlier in the thread.

One update part number includes 2 capacitors and instructions, the other part number includes a single capacitor and instructions. The reason for the different part numbers is different instruction sheets and quantity of capacitors in each kit.

#33 5 years ago

I have a Pinball Life one in my GOTG. I haven't had any issues. My game was built 6-14-18 or so. Wonder if I need this?

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

I have a Pinball Life one in my GOTG. I haven't had any issues. My game was built 6-14-18 or so. Wonder if I need this?

This issue has been address in firmware. So you don't need it.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Turtle:

This issue has been address in firmware. So you don't need it.

The PBL shakers have "firmware"?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Other
Machine - For Sale
Tuscaloosa, AL
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple
Armor and blades
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods
Other
Wanted
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spike-shaker-motor-advisory-for-mystery-slam-tilt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.