Topic Stats

• 480 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 hours ago by ChrisHibler
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

520-5318-00C Schematics.pdf (PDF preview)
    520-5321-00C Damage (resized).jpg
    20231219_014212 (resized).jpg
    520-5321-00C-Schematic-ELG-Node-Board.pdf (PDF preview)
    pasted_image (resized).png
    distri 48 (resized).png
    power distri (resized).png
    520-5321-00 Rev C Damage (resized).jpg
    520-5321-00C-Schematic-ELG-Node-Board (1).pdf (PDF preview)
    449c7152735c92a1d5955972e59e167599aec98f (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #147 Link to individual Stern PDFs of Spike schematics Posted by HighVoltage (5 years ago)

Post #171 PDF of the available schematics. Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #411 Fault and current measurements go to the microcontroller. Posted by mbwalker (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballaddicted.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 5 years ago

I sincerely wish for this to be true.

I am still waiting for the GB code update that was promised for last September.

2 weeks later
    #128 5 years ago
    Quoted from IMI4tth3w:

So i took some time to look over a stern node board on ghostbusters. I don't see what is so unknown about it? Sure its got surface mount instead of traditional pinball through hole style, but anyone with some technical know how and a multimeter with continuity testing can figure out whats going on. Oh and google to search case numbers on parts.
    There's a microcontroller at the heart. The small flat flex connector in the middle is a programming header, but there are also 6 pads on the bottom that share pins with the flat flex connector for bed of nails programming to make it easier for programming during manufacture.
    The communication is UART over half duplex RS485. They also use optocouplers to isolate the RS485 ethernet cable to eliminate ground loops. From what i googled they are using 48V (maaaybe 12V or 24V) over the ethernet cable with a 5V voltage regulator on the isolated side to power the rs485 ic.
    There's a 6V 3A regulator to convert the main 48V input for the lower voltage parts and lights. Some additional filtering and regulation is also there to bring the 6V down to 5V for more sensitive components.
    Shift registers are used for switch inputs and DC light outputs. And there's an SPI light bus header output for the individually controlled lights.
    Last there is some mosfets for the solenoids that use inverted schmitt triggers as gate drivers. A couple microcontroller pins drive the schmitt triggers/mosfets for PWM control.
    I'm not going to make a full schematic, but i've been able to find a datasheet for about 90% of the parts on this board.
    Its actually a great design and well done. The whole package is very neat and well laid out.
    Now what i'm wondering, is even with full schematics of these things, i don't think these old school pin ops are going to be doing SMT rework. And the ones who are able to SMT rework, from what my searching has found, have been able to figure out what they needed to do anyways. (found a guy who shorted a light and blew a small output transistor and replaced it himself on a stern node board).
    I have not look too in depth at the main CPU, but it seems pretty similar. One main 48V input with some voltage regulation, an audio amplifier stage, etc.
    Let me know if you guys have any specific issues or questions about these boards. I have yet to find any real information about their failure modes as almost every single post i've seen here about a "failed" node board is completely ambiguous, to the point where its impossible to know what actually failed.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post.

1 year later
    #259 3 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

In the Spike system, the cpu board as well as all the node boards take 48 volts input and regulate it down to 5 volts. So you could have a bad node board.
    In my opinion a design that takes 48 volts and drops it down to 5 volts is a recipe for disaster. They should have used a seperate power supply unit or board to provide 5 volts and leave the 48 volts just for operating coils.

I think you could be correct. We have done 3 node boards now, all blown the same chip.

20200627_130217 (resized).jpg20200627_130217 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballaddicted.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spike-schematics-coming-this-month?tu=pinballaddicted and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.