Topic Stats

• 491 posts
  • 111 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 hours ago by Kevlar
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

520-5318-00C Schematics.pdf (PDF preview)
    520-5321-00C Damage (resized).jpg
    20231219_014212 (resized).jpg
    520-5321-00C-Schematic-ELG-Node-Board.pdf (PDF preview)
    pasted_image (resized).png
    distri 48 (resized).png
    power distri (resized).png
    520-5321-00 Rev C Damage (resized).jpg
    520-5321-00C-Schematic-ELG-Node-Board (1).pdf (PDF preview)
    449c7152735c92a1d5955972e59e167599aec98f (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #147 Link to individual Stern PDFs of Spike schematics Posted by HighVoltage (5 years ago)

Post #171 PDF of the available schematics. Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #411 Fault and current measurements go to the microcontroller. Posted by mbwalker (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider northvibe.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#249 3 years ago

I figured I'd bring this up incase anyone has fixed it.

I have a Munsters pro with the audio popping and now after a 1.03 update (from 1.02) ZERO game audio/sound. Game is probably just shy of warranty and so the cpu replacement is a maybe. Has anyone replaced/tested the audio dac/circuit and fix this issue?

If they warranty the board, I assume they'll want the old one shipped back :/ I'd be curious to replace the parts and see.

Any who Stern's spike system is just a modified/custom IMX6 dev board. I find that interesting. We used a few imx6 and imx8 kits. Very capable cpu's. I'm very curious why they didn't have a hdmi out though, as that is pretty standard, maybe they didn't think streaming would get big when designing theirs.

#253 3 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

I know deadflip does direct HDMI capture for his streams. Not sure how he does it. Maybe Jack can share?

there is a splice harness that then has a hdmi breakout board. the IMX6 dev kit has and cpu can support hdmi, so in reality, stern just has to break the hdmi off on a new spike board, but that is more cost from what they currently have, so if they just made a kit they could keep the current board set.

#267 3 years ago

If they had a trade in replacement program, it would make it easier the swallow a cheaper board replacement. And then their engineers or bird manufacture could take the failed units and figure out why and what failures to fix them but.... they’re probably cheap for stern to pump out and the failure rate is low enough to get through a warranty period.

Still hoping we can get more members to diagnose/fix so we can support as a community instead.

4 months later
    #288 3 years ago

Lots of schematics etc. Pretty excited and happy they have released this. If my munsters cpu board was not replaced. I'd be swapping parts!

2 years later
    #387 1 year ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

Ah. Good point. Never thought about that.

I was hoping they would retro fit the spike 2 to work for spike1 stuff so it wasn't eol so early. I forgot to look at GB if it was the same NXP imx6 as a spike 2 or different setup

I think this is spike 1 (picture)? cpu was integrated into the board so there was probably lack power/features for them to expand.

IMX6 which i think is the exact cpu they use, was EOL a while ago, however there was a huge stock of it. I would assume we would see a spike 2.X or 3 w/ imx8 soon ish.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    7 months later
    #473 7 months ago
    Quoted from Fubar:

That's been done already, simple board sells for 150 ! It's cleaner (and cheaper) to just reprogram the CPU's configuration though.

Quoted from russdx:

https://www.mypinballs.com/electronics/store.jsp
    Is pricy but your paying for someone to design and manufacture a plug and play off the shelf board.
    Plus a doubt there is much demand for them so that will affect the price.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Haha, I had a similar thought. Maybe even put a dip switch on the mod to choose your country/frequency.

The board from my pinballs only converts USA to uk, but I’m having an issue with a USA game failing the detection on boot. So either the cpu was flashed for uk or the detection circuit is bad. Would be great if there was a board with a dip switch to choose as ive now found this issue is decently common from stern :/

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider northvibe.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spike-schematics-coming-this-month?tu=northvibe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.