Topic Stats

• 481 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 59 minutes ago by stangbat
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

520-5318-00C Schematics.pdf (PDF preview)
    520-5321-00C Damage (resized).jpg
    20231219_014212 (resized).jpg
    520-5321-00C-Schematic-ELG-Node-Board.pdf (PDF preview)
    pasted_image (resized).png
    distri 48 (resized).png
    power distri (resized).png
    520-5321-00 Rev C Damage (resized).jpg
    520-5321-00C-Schematic-ELG-Node-Board (1).pdf (PDF preview)
    449c7152735c92a1d5955972e59e167599aec98f (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #147 Link to individual Stern PDFs of Spike schematics Posted by HighVoltage (5 years ago)

Post #171 PDF of the available schematics. Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #411 Fault and current measurements go to the microcontroller. Posted by mbwalker (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#298 2 years ago
    Quoted from izboy:

It was the pin stadium lights. one of the alligator clips that were attached in the area had shifted causing the overcurrent protection warning.

I just picked up a Ghostbuster Pro, a former owner installed a shit-ton of mods and one them clipped to a lamp, shorting the leads and now Node board 8 is out of action.

Started with really weak flashers, then the flippers got strange and then the warning popped up and the flippers are dead.

Am I coughing up $400 for a new board this week? I'm ready to sell it I'm so pissed and it hasn't been here 24 hours. Does Stern offer repair service or do you just bend over and grab your ankles?

20210820_193029 (resized).jpg20210820_193029 (resized).jpg20210820_193455 (resized).jpg20210820_193455 (resized).jpg

#299 2 years ago

Well the good news the Node board 8 decided to work again for some in explicable reason but the flashers are still for crap. Power is set to 255 in settings and this is what it looks like.

About as bright as a regular LED. I'll check voltages in the morning.

20210820_204559_1.gif20210820_204559_1.gif
    #302 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Borygard here on pinside repairs them pretty reliably. Note that you CAN switch node 8 and node 9 (same board) and just change the dip switches and everything may work great if the node 9 position isn't using the bad part of what was node 8. So I'd try that first, then contact Borygard to see about him repairing your node 8.

Did some digging this morning, what I have found so far.

1) Game has latest revision boards so not its first rodeo.

2) Flasher volts only 5-6 volts to ground, this looks correct.

3) Flashers 129 (left scoop) 125 and 126 (back panel) are dead.

4) Swapped node boards, flasher 129 starts working again!

5) 125 and 126 had no bulbs in the sockets, I swap in the flasher from the pops into the left side and it works.

So my only question now is.. are the flashers suppose to be this unimpressive? I know I'm use to Data East in which sunglasses are required when there is a light show but this seems excessively muted.

Thank you for your help!

#303 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Borygard here on pinside repairs them pretty reliably. Note that you CAN switch node 8 and node 9 (same board) and just change the dip switches and everything may work great if the node 9 position isn't using the bad part of what was node 8. So I'd try that first, then contact Borygard to see about him repairing your node 8.

Did some digging this morning, what I have found so far.

1) Flasher volts only 5-6 volts to ground, this looks correct.

2) Flashers 129 (left scoop) 125 and 126 (back panel) are dead.

3) Swapped node boards, flasher 129 starts working again!

4) 125 and 126 had no bulbs in the sockets, I swap in the flasher from the pops into the left side and it works.

So my only question now is.. are the flashers suppose to be this unimpressive? I know I'm use to Data East in which sunglasses are required when there is a light show but this seems excessively muted. I even tried turning them way down and then way back up (255) in menu settings and they are changing.

fd20cd67b57c1f86573ed8336ecc861b27ef5ce3.giffd20cd67b57c1f86573ed8336ecc861b27ef5ce3.gif
    #308 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

No idea. It's really hard to get an idea of how bright they are from a gif. I DO know that the first thing I do with a Spike machine is turn down the LED and flashers to 75% brightness. They're generally eye-searing in a dark room for me.
    Also, note that more than one setting modifies the LED and flasher brightness. I have no idea WHY it's like that, but it is. You may be modifying only half the "formula" for the machine to calculate the brightness of the flasher.

Anything flasher related set to max or 255 in all flasher settings. Positively milquetoast compared to Data East games or even the Stern Trek premium I owned. No brighter than the GI lamps frankly aside from the exceptions I mentioned.

#315 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

You might want to make sure this modification was done to the GB you got:
    https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Stern-SB188.pdf
    Also, make sure the node board has the diode service bulletin done:
    https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Stern-SB189.pdf

Yes and yes, they have been done.

#318 2 years ago

Just a heads up- Everything seems to have settled down and functioning on GB and I have a question. I'd like to upgrade the spinner flasher PCB (which leaves very much to be desired) with a socketed pseudo 906 5V Spike rated flasher.

Has anyone done this? Are the board drivers for the pseudo 906 under the pop bumpers the same as the pcb mounted "flasher" ?

3 months later
    #327 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

it is not in the interest of Stern to have self dying machine. They need to fix their reliability, as it has a financial impact, so I doubt they just left it "like this", but I could be wrong.

When I worked for Chrysler, they had a formula for how many warranty repairs were acceptable vs spending more money on the cause of the failure up front.

I can assure you a lot of large manufacturing concerns have similar formulas and they look at how many parts sold after the sale as well. Selling replacement parts after the warranty period has expired is very profitable in some industries and due to increased volume can lower the BOM of a new machine if still in production. win-win.

One of the reasons Mercedes Benz purchased Chrysler years ago was to force them into using Benz parts. With millions of Chrysler being churned out it reduced the cost of some Benz parts to pennies (scale) which Benz continued to charge an arm and leg for because the box had "Benz" on it not Chrysler.

#332 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

And unlike car, pinball machines are still a relatively niche business, it's not likely you have millions of Spike machines out there to justify having spare parts generating a constant revenue flow.

At $460 a pop I can assure you there is a tidy amount of profit in a node board.

#335 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

Per unit profit, sure. It's actually massive.
    But steady overall revenue for the company to warrant pissing off your entire customer base ? That's where I disagree.

Haaaa.

Seriously.

I swear half the posts on Pinside are about some running defect or other with a new pin. Playfield pooling and chipping, half-assed code, poor quality control. And yet when Stern announces a new title people are like TAKE MY MONEY. They sold out Mandalorin LE without a full gameplay video being shown.

Insane to me. Nothing is going to change with this dynamic running.

#338 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

I'm not a Stern fanboy by any means, and yes QC is an issue. But it's one thing to have a QC issue, and quite another to actually take the decision to not fix design flaws in electronic circuits with the intent of generating revenue from spare parts.

Flaw or cheap grade parts? I suspect borderline parts more than a flaw. You make something cheap enough "x" amount of them are going to fail. The cheaper you go the larger "x" will be. Simple as that.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spike-schematics-coming-this-month?tu=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.