Topic Stats

• 491 posts
  • 111 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 hours ago by Kevlar
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

520-5318-00C Schematics.pdf (PDF preview)
    520-5321-00C Damage (resized).jpg
    20231219_014212 (resized).jpg
    520-5321-00C-Schematic-ELG-Node-Board.pdf (PDF preview)
    pasted_image (resized).png
    distri 48 (resized).png
    power distri (resized).png
    520-5321-00 Rev C Damage (resized).jpg
    520-5321-00C-Schematic-ELG-Node-Board (1).pdf (PDF preview)
    449c7152735c92a1d5955972e59e167599aec98f (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #147 Link to individual Stern PDFs of Spike schematics Posted by HighVoltage (5 years ago)

Post #171 PDF of the available schematics. Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #411 Fault and current measurements go to the microcontroller. Posted by mbwalker (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cynric.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 5 years ago

The node board hex files can easily be pulled from the game .spk file. Just extract the Linux image from them using the pyhton script from here. In the game directory there are these files for GoT 1.34: coil4node-LPC1112_101-0_19_1.hex
    coil4node-LPC1112_201-0_19_1.hex
    coil4node-LPC1313-0_19_1.hex
    game
    image.bin
    lcdnode-LPC1113_302-0_19_1.hex
    pinnode-LPC1112_101-0_19_1.hex
    pinnode-LPC1112_201-0_19_1.hex
    pinnode-LPC1313-0_19_1.hex

"game" is the elf executable, that can be dissected using IDA. There is the update routine, the node board list and the firmware suffixes inside. What I have not yet understood is which the files for the same MCU type goes to which boards (xx-LPCyy-101-zz or 201).
    And there is the risk that these firmwares might not be the complete content of their flash and there is another bootloader in there which is NOT in the spk.. However node boards dying during updates speaks strongly against that - and also speaks against Stern using NXPs bootloader/protocol.
    Regarding the NXP bootloader, has anybody with a broken node board ever tried replacing the MCU and just plugging it back in?

You can also check out some more details on spike from the other scripts in the firmware, notably the /etc/init.d/ directory has game, game_monitor and update files which are just shell scripts for the startup. In there you can also see that the spike node bus is just a plain simple UART...
    Note that if "game" isn't there, startup continues to a pretty large "spike menu". I wonder what that is?

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobF:

Yes. I attempted to fix a dead node board (the one the shaker plugs into) and found the uC was dead and was pulling down the 3.3v rails. I replaced it with a new part and while that fixed the voltage measurements, it was unable to be found on the bus. It is only an educated guess, but my conclusion was the parts required a base level of firmware (perhaps even above a bootloader) to be pre-programmed in order to do basic spike discovery and acceptance of commands and updates.

Thanks for the info! Yup, then they use a custom update mechanism. Maybe the original NXP bootloader does even listen on the node bus uart, but that does not seem fit to talk to it with the other nodes in between.
    However if the programming port is present on the node boards as @russdx said, then you could try flashing the MCU via JLink or some other ARM programmer with one of the hex files from the update archive. Still don't know if 101 or 201 is the right one, but chances are they are for different revisions of the boards. I have not yet disassembled and compared them, but judging from the hex files there are differences, but most of the content is identical. Maybe there is a revision printed on there? Also the filenames indicate that the 4 driver nodes were also made with the LPC1313..

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

These HEX files... are they Intel HEX or binary? If Intel, then they contain pointers to which area of memory they should be written to. This could tell you if they're being placed above a bootloader or not.

They go to 0x1000, which leaves the first 4kB and the interrupt vectors untouched. The BootROM 0x1fff0000, so I guess there is a Stern 1st stage loader in front of the image that does not get updated.
    So unless someone with a spare node board and a JLink or other SWD ARM programmer sees if they can readout this first flash block (read access to flash page 0 or the whole flash can be disabled in the mcu), we'll probably have to wait what the mysterious Stern support pack will bring..

#59 5 years ago

Since it's just for one time use and pretty compact the ribbon connector would not be such a bad choice for a programming header. All it's got to do is provide a way to flash the basic bootloader a few times, either initially (if they dont get the ICs preprogrammed with it) or for in house repairs. The real game firmware can be updated via the node bus anyway.. If Stern takes this service and repairability project seriously they should release this basic bootloader too (and to sw tool to get it to flashing mode) to allow us to do the same.

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Probably a dumb question, but is this correctable in any way by some sort of hard reboot/reset? or would chips or other pieces of hardware need to be replaced to clear it up? is there any way to tell with the currently available information?

Depends on how their bootloader works. Normally I would expect it to wait a certain time for a magic command that can send it to flash mode before starting the main firmware. In that case the right cable and software to send that command and the hex file should do. However normally I would expect a bootloader to verify the main flash contents by signature or at least checksum before starting it too...

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

So just a continuity test between that ribbon cable connection/back pads and the pins on the MCU? I should be able to do that this afternoon if I have time.

Yup. I wouldn't be surprised if the two were in fact wired in parallel. The bottom pads for quick programming/testing in the factory, the ribbon connector for later service access.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cynric.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spike-schematics-coming-this-month?tu=cynric and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.