Topic Stats

• 480 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 hours ago by ChrisHibler
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

520-5318-00C Schematics.pdf (PDF preview)
    520-5321-00C Damage (resized).jpg
    20231219_014212 (resized).jpg
    520-5321-00C-Schematic-ELG-Node-Board.pdf (PDF preview)
    pasted_image (resized).png
    distri 48 (resized).png
    power distri (resized).png
    520-5321-00 Rev C Damage (resized).jpg
    520-5321-00C-Schematic-ELG-Node-Board (1).pdf (PDF preview)
    449c7152735c92a1d5955972e59e167599aec98f (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #147 Link to individual Stern PDFs of Spike schematics Posted by HighVoltage (5 years ago)

Post #171 PDF of the available schematics. Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #411 Fault and current measurements go to the microcontroller. Posted by mbwalker (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Luckydogg420.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 5 years ago

I wonder if they will be specific schematics for each version of each board. Eg, Spike 1 node 8 vs spike 2 node 8. Or spike 1 cpu vs spike 2 cpu.

Or will they only release spike 1 schematics and say spike 2 are coming soon.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from branlon8:

Do we believe that the criticisms about Spike voiced here on Pinside somehow motivated Stern now to take action?

When the community is considering to send your boards to China to have them reverse engineered, you have little options left. People will figure out these boards with or without help from stern. But schematics and a parts list would make it a whole lot easier

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

The SPIKE node boards would cost a lot more than $12 to reproduce... but still miles less than the retail cost.
    Also (and pertaining to my conversation with Hilton above) they have microcontrollers (MCU) on them. It's possible the system update also updates the firmware on the node boards MCU's which could cause failure or in some cases "brick" them.
    Thus even though the boards are certainly repairable that won't help if the MCU itself needs re-flashing. You could buy a replacement but without the right code to flash back onto it it's still a doorstop.
    I kind of doubt Stern would release the source because then there's nothing stopping people from making clones. Even if they released the compiled source as a HEX just for flashing it could still be reverse-engineered.

I thought someone looked up the data sheet for the MCU and it comes with a generic boot loader, although Stern may have a proprietary firmware installed. It’s beyond my skill level, but hopefully someone will figure it out.

16EAB82C-0081-4A7A-A2BA-36F8E29A2AB3 (resized).jpeg16EAB82C-0081-4A7A-A2BA-36F8E29A2AB3 (resized).jpeg
    #64 5 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

Could indeed be. My money is on that weird test pad connector on the back be interesting what the correct answer is and can be easily verified by just seeing what pins those various connectors connect to on the micro controller via a meter

So just a continuity test between that ribbon cable connection/back pads and the pins on the MCU? I should be able to do that this afternoon if I have time.

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I know for a fact this is incorrect.

Did stern sub contract out the whole development of the Spike system? Did they even own the rights to distribute the schematics before now? Maybe we’re all blaming stern for the problems with node boards when they didn’t even design them?

Just thinking out loud

1 week later
    #107 5 years ago

Today is February 21st. - 7 days to go

Has anyone seen, or heard anything?

#110 5 years ago
    5CFF5E79-425E-4674-9EB3-DE26DD2725CD (resized).jpeg5CFF5E79-425E-4674-9EB3-DE26DD2725CD (resized).jpeg9F0C77EB-A04D-497D-8CF7-21796F7B3BB6 (resized).jpeg9F0C77EB-A04D-497D-8CF7-21796F7B3BB6 (resized).jpeg
    #114 5 years ago

Well as timely as this could be.

Yesterday a bill was presented for Right to Repair legislation in Canada. If this goes through then Stern won’t legally be able to withhold anything required to fix these boards our selves

Here’s the article that I quoted from
    https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/gyawqy/right-to-repair-legislation-is-officially-being-considered-in-ontario-canada

On Thursday, Coteau introduced a private member’s bill in provincial parliament that, if passed, would be the first “right to repair” law for electronic devices in North America. More than a dozen US states are currently considering similar bills, but nothing is on the books yet in the US or in Canada.

The legislation proposes that tech companies make diagnostic tools, repair manuals, and official parts available to consumers at their request. The legislation would also require that any new products ship with a repair manual. Documents provided to consumers must be free unless they request paper copies, and parts, tools, and software must be provided at a fair price.

“The intention of the legislation is to force a company like Apple to ensure the parts they create for their phones and tablets are available to be purchased,” Coteau said, adding that the legislative process would look for ways to ensure companies’ copyright and intellectual property is respected.

#115 5 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

You have to pay to join the Stern Insider club to enjoy member's only access to the schematics and repair guides.
    [quoted image]

Is this true, or speculation?

#120 5 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

So, they provide replacement node boards, and a sheet of paper showing how to install it.

I think it goes more to allowing after market boards to be made by having available schematics, proprietary chips or code to get them working.

I think it would limit manufacturers from requiring you to return your product to them to be fixed. So, if a spike cpu board blows you will have options to repair it or replace it.

#127 5 years ago

Maybe it will happen in 2019

89813F5D-B0AB-4DB4-A382-5CD302109FEB (resized).jpeg89813F5D-B0AB-4DB4-A382-5CD302109FEB (resized).jpeg
    #129 5 years ago

Hey do these look official?

34A9387A-5E32-4292-92A3-A2B52E86C628 (resized).jpeg34A9387A-5E32-4292-92A3-A2B52E86C628 (resized).jpeg
    #159 5 years ago

I looked up them over, not bad, but I couldn’t find more then half of the boards for Game of Thrones. Maybe the rest will show up today?

What’s the difference between a SD card image, and the game code? Could the SD card image contain an auto flasher to program the micro controllers onthe node boards? Both have the same version number of code.

2BB12625-9862-45A6-81D5-227562932518 (resized).jpeg2BB12625-9862-45A6-81D5-227562932518 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Luckydogg420.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spike-schematics-coming-this-month?tu=Luckydogg420 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.