Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by AlanJ
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mdeslaur.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 2 years ago

I thought I read somewhere it is RS-485.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from dkeruza:

The issue with these board is they have a chip with proprietary software. If that chip goes bad, there is no way to fix them.
    Regarding the RS485 protocol, I will not be surprised if they actually modified the protocol to make it non standard.

What's the proprietary chip you're talking about?

#15 2 years ago

The MCU they use has a built-in bootloader that allows flashing the code over RS-485 when it boots. While they may pre-load the code at the factory, are you sure it isn't simply re-flashed by the Spike OS when a new node board is plugged in, or when updates are available?

I suppose they could have implemented their own code to do all of that, with a layer of encryption on top of it, but why bother when the functionality is already built-in? Call me skeptical

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Fubar:

The nodes are all daisy-chained, are you sure the LPC bootloader supports that topology? As far as I can tell from the manual, the peripheral's 485 address register is always 0x0 at boot...

That's a good point. The manual doesn't seem to indicate there's a way to address them individually.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mdeslaur.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spike-bench-testing-eg-520-7017-72d-node-board-?tu=mdeslaur and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.