Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by blujae014
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

I bought my first ever pin awhile back. It’s an Avengers AIQ Premium. Everything seems to working fine but I’m trying to run the diagnostic tests. Like the node, switch tests but I can seem to navigate through the menu to get it started. Does anyone have some kind of guide on how to run these tests?

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from ScoobaDoo:

I bought my first ever pin awhile back. It’s an Avengers AIQ Premium. Everything seems to working fine but I’m trying to run the diagnostic tests. Like the node, switch tests but I can seem to navigate through the menu to get it started. Does anyone have some kind of guide on how to run these tests?

Are you saying the coin door buttons themselves don’t work when you push them?

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Are you saying the coin door buttons themselves don’t work when you push them?

Not at all. They all work fine. I’m just wondering if the specific tests run on their own or do I have to keep pushing the buttons during the test?

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from ScoobaDoo:

Not at all. They all work fine. I’m just wondering if the specific tests run on their own or do I have to keep pushing the buttons during the test?

It depends on the test. Switch tests you choose the setting then tap switches on top of the playfield and it will tell you which switch plus make a noise. Other tests, like coil tests, you may need to select a setting then hit the start button to fire the coil you’ve selected. Lastly there are lighting tests which typically light something for ever option you have on the screen.

The one thing that can be confusing for a new owner is the interlock switch which turns off the high voltage when you open the coin door. For testing, you can pull the switch mechanism out to lock it always on.

#6 2 years ago

Easy - READ the manual!

I know most people ignore the instruction manual but it's all explained in detail there.

10 months later
    #7 2 years ago

Ok, I've been jabbing issues with my Jurassic Park premium for YEARS, starting weeks after I got the dang thing. Stern has been no help, googling hasn't gotten me closer, this thread is zero help.

You say read the manual- i have the service and operation manual, and it doesn't say anything I can understand. I found the switches, in a matrix that has a bunch of columns. Great. I found the active switch test. Great. What does any of this mean? What does "in service" or "out of service" mean? My flipper EOS switches are active- but they should be, right?

So one says 45- motor 2, and has wire colors. GREAT. what does it mean?!

Does anyone have a resource that can take it back a step or 2 for me? If you know something about pinball I'm sure the manual makes sense. How about an explainer for the super beginner?

Stern support had been so horrible, I'm hoping pinside can help me out.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gnomesain:

Ok, I've been jabbing issues with my Jurassic Park premium for YEARS, starting weeks after I got the dang thing. Stern has been no help, googling hasn't gotten me closer, this thread is zero help.
    You say read the manual- i have the service and operation manual, and it doesn't say anything I can understand. I found the switches, in a matrix that has a bunch of columns. Great. I found the active switch test. Great. What does any of this mean? What does "in service" or "out of service" mean? My flipper EOS switches are active- but they should be, right?
    Does anyone have a resource that can take it back a step or 2 for me? If you know something about pinball I'm sure the manual makes sense. How about an explainer for the super beginner?

Modern pinball machines are VERY complex electro-mechanical devices. You state yourself that you are a "super beginner".

Perhaps you need to realise that it takes many years to learn about electronics and then apply that knowledge to specific devices such as pinball machines.

I suggest you employ a professional repair person to fix the machine. After all, it is a very expensive device, why risk damaging it further? Seriously, if you are unable to interpret what the service menu is telling you, please leave it alone and seek professional repair help.

#9 2 years ago

Hey Gnomesain!

Your pinball has about 3000 parts, and really advanced stuff in it.

Quote: "I've been jabbing issues with my Jurassic Park premium for YEARS..."

I REALLY recommend making friends with a good pinball technician, who can come to your house and get your machine in good working order.

Pinballs have all kinds of mechanical and electrical assemblies, and each one of these can be working, or working partially, or not working at all and the machine can still be 'playable'.

To understand the system, you really need a fully working example! Then you can see how the various parts work together, and can get into the diagnostics and see (from a working pinball example) what SHOULD be happening...

And you'll develop the expertise to know when things aren't happening right.

There is no substitute for having someone come out to your house and show you on your machine what you need to know.

Get a good repair person. Pay them well. Get your machine properly serviced, and have somebody talk you through the basic idea of what pinballs are and do.

I got heavily into pinballs when I was eight years old, and have spent a lifetime accumulating knowledge about them... Trust me, there is a lot to know! You are going to need someone face to face to instruct you, and guide you through the basics.

Good luck!

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gnomesain:

Here is an old youtube series by Stern. It's a reasonable starting place.

#11 2 years ago

Here's a more in depth video about the diagnostics menu.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spike-2-diagnostics?hl=cabuford and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.