(Topic ID: 334935)

Stern Spike 2 Coin door interlock not working.

By Rexdeanrds

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Rexdeanrds
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FF1A095C-6043-439E-B112-7B43E3BB2AD5 (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

My Rush Pro machine coin door interlock just started to not work.

I open the door and it keeps all high voltage on like normal.

I can pull the switch and push it back in with no changes to power and no coin door message on the screen.

I tried doing a switch test and pressing the interlock button but there was no registration that I could see - But I'm not sure if it counts as a "switch" for the switch test.

Only new thing is addition of a shaker motor which I was wondering if anything shook loose

FF1A095C-6043-439E-B112-7B43E3BB2AD5 (resized).jpegFF1A095C-6043-439E-B112-7B43E3BB2AD5 (resized).jpeg

#2 1 year ago

Not all the SPIKE games even have an interlock... if it's failed closed, shut the door and enjoy the game.

If you have a digital multimeter, you can buzz out the terminals in about two seconds. If your switch is bad, you can buy one and replace it, or if you are the original owner, have your distro send you one. Biggest risk with the Stern games is if you are futzing around under the playfield and do something stupid like short out a node board... turn the power off when you have the hood up.

#3 1 year ago

Honestly to me it's the "not having the machine working 100%" that bothers me more so than being concerned about the HV.

Testing the switch with the multimeter seems to show that it is working as a switch. ie. ~ Infinitely low resistance with the switch closed and no circuit with the switch open.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rexdeanrds:

Honestly, to me it's the "not having the machine working 100%" that bothers me more so than being concerned about the HV.
    Testing the switch with the multimeter seems to show that it is working as a switch. ie. ~ Infinitely low resistance with the switch closed and no circuit with the switch open.

#5 1 year ago

So, with the coin door open, you DO NOT have continuity between the terminals?

And with the coin door closed, or the switch pulled out, you HAVE continuity?

#6 1 year ago

Yes, I believe the circuit is complete when the coin door is closed and when the switch is pulled open. But the circuit is broken when the switch is in neutral position (Coin door open).

#7 1 year ago

Looks like I'm not the only one to experience this issue.

Possibly a short in the PDB?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coin-door-not-registering-open-jp-pro#post-7528812

2 months later
    #8 9 months ago
    Quoted from Rexdeanrds:

My Rush Pro machine coin door interlock just started to not work.
    I open the door and it keeps all high voltage on like normal.
    I can pull the switch and push it back in with no changes to power and no coin door message on the screen.
    I tried doing a switch test and pressing the interlock button but there was no registration that I could see - But I'm not sure if it counts as a "switch" for the switch test.
    Only new thing is addition of a shaker motor which I was wondering if anything shook loose
    [quoted image]

I have the same problem on my Rush Pro. I suspect the PDB as well. I ran several continuity tests. The switch and wires are fine. I'll just order a new PDB.

1 week later
    #9 9 months ago
    Quoted from Fuzzdaddy:

I have the same problem on my Rush Pro. I suspect the PDB as well. I ran several continuity tests. The switch and wires are fine. I'll just order a new PDB.

Please let me know if this fixes it! Also where you're able to source the PDB lol

2 weeks later
    #10 8 months ago
    Quoted from Rexdeanrds:

Please let me know if this fixes it! Also where you're able to source the PDB lol

Yep. Replacing the PDB did indeed fix the problem. There was no visible damage to the original PDB, but obviously something got fried. I got the PDB from Pinball Life.

#11 8 months ago
    Quoted from Rexdeanrds:

https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-spike-power-distribution-board.html

3 months later
    #12 5 months ago

I finally replaced my PDB and the issue is resolved. Can confirm the replacement worked for me.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spike-2-coun-door-interlock-not-working- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.