Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by phishrace
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

We have a Stern Rush LE. I have replaced the flippers and bearings with the Precision Pro ones. The problem isn't with the flipper mech, it's just that now the system is so efficient the power is incredible ( especially when the playfield has been waxed ) and I can't reduce the power setting any further.

I've come to the conclusion that for at least one flipper in particular ( the top right ) I need to do something about it.

All three coils on the machine are 090-5032's. I noticed on the Godzilla Premium/LE that the upper flipper uses a 090-5030 which if I am correct is a lower power.

Would there be any negative impact in any way if the coils were changed to 090-5030's ( ie node board, drivers etc ), does the code have the ability to take into consideration the current rating of each coil, or does it not matter in this case as I'm looking to reduce the current flow in the coil and weaken the flipper power.

Hope that makes sense.

#2 1 year ago

I think the last part of the coil number 5030 or 5032 refers to the number of windings.
    Not sure if there would really be any noticeable difference changing to the 5030
    And also I think actually the less winding the stronger the coil...

I may be mistaken though...

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

I think the last part of the coil number 5030 or 5032 refers to the number of windings.
    Not sure if there would really be any noticeable difference changing to the 5030
    I may be mistaken though...

The coil numbers are just for Stern's internal part tracking.

A 5032 is 1080 windings of 22 gauge wire. A 5030 is 1100 windings of 23 gauge. The more important number though is resistance. 5032 is 4.3 ohm, and 5030 is 5.1 ohm. Higher resistance = weaker coil

I don't think you'd have any issue changing out for a weaker coil, but I can't really confirm it.

#4 1 year ago

Godzilla uses three different coils in total, the other is the 090-5020 on one of the lower flippers. I don't think there would be an issue with the node boards as they are pretty generic.

The 5030 should be slightly weaker in terms of flipper power, just need to try and clarify if they modify the code in any way dependant on which coil is being used and if that could have a detrimental effect ( or even if it would be relevant at all ).

#5 1 year ago

Hehe, so you heavily modified your pinball... and now it doesn't play right?

Pinball life sells a lot of stern flipper coils. Most will come with a diode, you'll need to clip the diode off before putting any of these in a new Stern.

I wouldn't hesitate to swap in a higher resistance flipper coil to see what it does to the power of the flipper unit. (shrugs) You can always put the 090-5032-ND back in. (ND = No Diode)

Note that there isn't a linear relationship to the ohms of resistance and the magnetic strength of the coil. Lower ohms is more powerful than higher ohms, and I'd just substitute and see if I like it instead of trying to figure out exactly what the ohms to the power of the flipper is mathematically.

Some pinball life Stern Flipper coils sorted by strength that you might explore:

090-5020 3.8 ohms (stronger than what you have!)
    090-5032 4.3 ohms (what you have according to the RUSH manual)
    090-5030 5.1 ohms (this is a standard flipper strength coil, but weaker than the 090-5032)
    090-5025 9.6 ohms (I'd actually try this first, but I have this coil in stock!)
    090-5041 13.8 ohms (probably quite weak, but might be powerful enough for you)

Pinball life coil page:

https://www.pinballlife.com/flipper-coils.html

Coil resistances page:

https://flippers.com/coil-resistance.html

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinRetail:

Hehe, so you heavily modified your pinball... and now it doesn't play right?
    Pinball life sells a lot of stern flipper coils. Most will come with a diode, you'll need to clip the diode off before putting any of these in a new Stern.
    I wouldn't hesitate to swap in a higher resistance flipper coil to see what it does to the power of the flipper unit. (shrugs) You can always put the 090-5032-ND back in. (ND = No Diode)
    Note that there isn't a linear relationship to the ohms of resistance and the magnetic strength of the coil. Lower ohms is more powerful than higher ohms, and I'd just substitute and see if I like it instead of trying to figure out exactly what the ohms to the power of the flipper is mathematically.
    Some pinball life Stern Flipper coils sorted by strength that you might explore:
    090-5020 3.8 ohms (stronger than what you have!)
    090-5032 4.3 ohms (what you have according to the RUSH manual)
    090-5030 5.1 ohms (this is a standard flipper strength coil, but weaker than the 090-5032)
    090-5025 9.6 ohms (I'd actually try this first, but I have this coil in stock!)
    090-5041 13.8 ohms (probably quite weak, but might be powerful enough for you)
    Pinball life coil page:
    https://www.pinballlife.com/flipper-coils.html
    Coil resistances page:
    https://flippers.com/coil-resistance.html

Thanks, I'll give the 5030 a try first as It should be well within the capabilities of the Spike system to cope with.

The game plays a lot better and more consistently than with the stock flipper mechs, it's just now a little too fierce on the top flipper than what is needed for my requirements. Hopefully using the 5030 will bring it back into the adjustment range that suits my needs if it does need to be changed.

It could be that the wax is having a greater effect than i'd anticipated so I'll give it a while longer before making any further changes.

#7 1 year ago

Why change the flipper parts? I find the stock flipper plenty snappy.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Why change the flipper parts? I find the stock flipper plenty snappy.

Plenty of info in this thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/review-precision-pinball-products-cnc-flipper-system

#9 1 year ago

This is why I don't recommend waxing new games. Wax doesn't protect a wooden playfield from a steel ball. It usually only makes the game harder to play.

Lots of good suggestions above. I would add double check your pitch setting and make sure you're at at least 6.5 degrees *between the flippers*. You should be able to go to 7 degrees or slightly more, but at least 6.5 between the flippers. Don't change any coils until you check your pitch first.

#10 1 year ago

Wax rules for how it makes the game play faster without needing to jack the game up to some silly pitch.

#11 1 year ago

Thanks all for the suggestions, I'll check the pitch and let the wax wear off a little before committing.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Wax rules for how it makes the game play faster without needing to jack the game up to some silly pitch.

Stern games are designed to be played at 6.5 degrees pitch. With the current design, if all four levelers are completely raised (not extended) and the floor is perfectly flat, the game will be at 6.5 degrees. No need to 'jack the game up' unless your floor is severely out of level.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spike-2-coil-alternative and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.