Topic Stats

• 1,186 posts
  • 301 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 29 days ago by Jediturtle
  • Topic is favorited by 27 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 121 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Rubbers (resized).JPG
IMG_5603 (resized).JPG
IMG_5604 (resized).JPG
IMG_4464_LI (resized).jpg
IMG_4450 (resized).JPG
IMG_4451 (resized).JPG
IMG_4452 (resized).JPG
IMG_4454 (resized).JPG
IMG_4455 (resized).JPG
IMG_4453 (resized).JPG
IMG_4449 (resized).JPG
IMG_3241 (resized).jpg
IMG_0100 (resized).JPG
IMG_4387 (resized).PNG
WED_4812 (resized).JPG
IMG_3580 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zene10.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1074 3 years ago

I've had the VE for about a week. It is a great machine. Other's are right, it plays the same as SM.

I started playing SM at Poison Girl in Houston when I moved their in 2007 - it was a new machine (but the center post was removed making the Sandman shots tricky at times).

I was hooked after the first game. Played it 1-2 times a week for almost 6 years until I left Houston. Started calling distributors in 2008 to buy a machine but ultimately decided not to - at the time we were in the early stages of planning to quit work, liquidate and travel the world by bicycle for a couple of years. It didn't make sense to buy the machine at the time (it would have been my first pin) - but I still regretted not buying one (or the SMBS).

My wife got sick of me talking about the machine and my regrets so when the VE came out she told me to shut up and just buy it. I had been half-heartedly looking for a SM at the time. I was in the market anyway.

At first I balked at the price but after seeing the improvements and fixes (seeing the machine in Houston degrade over the years - Green Goblin broken, Sandman gate cracked, issues with the Webslingers, etc. that were never quite fixed) the price delta between a new machine and a new LED, shopped, upgraded machine started to shrink.

I liked the comic version of Spidey - the Ultimate art work was not my favorite, but closer to the character's roots. Themed (TV and movie) versions of games with actors likenesses eventually feel dated to me, another reason I was willing to move to the SMVE instead of a SM machine. I also really enjoy AFM art. If there were two editions (the original and a movie themed "Mars Attacks!") I'd go for the comic book art.

After the joy of unboxing a mint machine and playing game #1, I knew I made the right choice - for me. It is a great, fast game. I like the comic book themed version and it is a great looking box - especially the laser cut side armor. It has some weaknesses compared to the original (my write up on the "SMVE owners and future owners" forum) that are potentially changeable with Pinball Browser.

If I owned a SM, I doubt I'd sell it to get a SMVE unless I was a diehard comic book version fan.

If I liked SM and thought I'd rotate it out of my collection in a few years, I'd go with a shopped SM or one that needed some work.

If I planned on keeping the machine (and I do) the SMVE is the way to go.

Regardless of the debate, it is a fun machine. Just play whatever one you have access to.

If you're local to the Baltimore area and undecided on which to buy, PM me and you can check out my SMVE.

1 month later
#1109 2 years ago
Quoted from eXitStrategy:

Picked up my SMVE over the weekend. I really like the playfield, cabinet and translight art. Mine appears to be working fine, the only issue I had was a flasher LED popped out during play, I re-inserted it and also pushed in all the other flasher LED's, they must shake loose during transit.
I heard that the upper PF VUK with the looped ramp by the pop bumpers was causing dents in the PF, so a friend and I were going to apply some mylar there but mine has a large thick piece of clear protective plastic (assuming mylar) there already so I didn't apply it.
Happy so far, will see in the long run. Tempted to remove my CDMD from my LOTR and put in the SMVE.

I also had LEDs pop out (spotlights) and come loose under field within the first 50 or so plays.

Add additional mylar! Even with the stock mylar you will get the VUK dent in your play field.

2SZ_3583_(resized).JPG

2SZ_3584_(resized).JPG

1 month later
#1123 2 years ago
Quoted from wvpinball:

Yeah, it took a while... I love the game. It was worth the wait! Just kinda bummed about the ghosting inserts. Hopefully no more will ghost and the ones that have are not going deteriorate any further.

Sorry to see your's is ghosting. I have at least 12 inserts with ghosting on par or worse than yours. Make sure you contact Stern tech support and get on the list to be officially recognized. See the link below

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious/page/44#post-3279191

2 weeks later
#1127 2 years ago

I need some help (unrelated to my 23 ghosting inserts) with my SMVE. Two issues with Sandman. One is resolved - but included here in case you're having the same problem.

Issue #1. Sandman sticking in the up position - RESOLVED. Ever since I got my SMVE in April, Sandman would sometimes stick at the top and not drop down at the successful end of the mode or after a ball search. The Sandman figure is heavy with the weight forward of the rails which creates torque, subsequently causing a lot of friction between the rails and the housing assembly. I attributed the metal on metal friction to Sandman sticking. A light coat of oil helped a bit but Sandy was still sticking.

Coincidentally, I found two screws in the bottom of my cabinet in May, a few weeks after receiving the pin, when I had the playfield up to re-seat some lights. I put them in a baggy and left them in the coin box. It turns out they belonged to Sandman. I don't think they were ever tightened down correctly at the factory - it's odd two screws would come out of the same side.

When re-seating the top-side assembly (w/the figure), the top two sets of screws and bottom set must have the same centerline to centerline distance (measuring left side to right side). If they do not, the figure assembly rails will not fit back down through the housing to meet the motor assembly - they are out of parallel.

Once the rails were in parallel, the entire assembly moves much more smoothly. No stuck Sandman in about 10 games. A record.

Issue #2. UNRESOLVED. In the past week, when any Sandman mode starts (after the gate drops), the game will sometimes register a target hit for at least four un-related events.
A. When the ball enters the Sandman/Ball Lock VUK behind Sandman, from the orbits, but not consistently
B. When the pop bumpers are activated - but not consistently
C. When the flippers are used - random activation - not all the time but tends to be the right flippers.
D. When the shaker motor runs - again, like the flippers this does not consistently happen.

I verified (while working on Issue #1) that the leaf springs on the inner Sandman targets are not touching and they seem to be properly spaced. The inner Sandman targets are not stuck on or touching the playfield. The Sandman motor assembly is not caught on or moving any wire bundles under the playfield.

I'm guessing that there might be a loose connection somewhere but I have not been able to find it.

Any suggestions?

2SZ_3818 (resized).JPG

#1129 2 years ago

Sooooooooo ...

While I was trying to resolve the Sandman issue and admiring all my ghosting inserts tonight (20+ and counting, example picture highlighted, just in case it's not clear from across the room) I discovered clear coat issues on SMVE AND my less than 1 month old MET.

More discussions with Stern & vendors. This has been an ongoing headache.

Do I at least win an award other than a "Participant" ribbon?

2SZ_3844 (resized).jpeg

2SZ_3782 (resized).jpeg

2SZ_3851 (resized).jpeg

#1131 2 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Have you contacted Stern? What did they say?

So far, I've gotten the equivalent of the IJ response "We have top men working on it, top men"

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious/page/44#postbox

#1134 2 years ago
Quoted from PinJump:

Anyone else seeing major ramp lifting?

Yes, both left-side ramps have lift like yours. I have my stuck down with mylar. I think all my ghosts are lifting the ramps.

Yet another problem with SMVE.

2SZ_3864 (resized).JPG

2SZ_3866 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#1150 2 years ago
Quoted from chet218:

Was there any talk at expo as to when they will start producing Spider-Man VEs again?
Thanks

I'm waiting for a playfield replacement on my SMVE. I was told over the phone last week and at the factory that SMVE's will be back in Jan/Feb

#1152 2 years ago
Quoted from taz:

Good question. I've been paid in full for this game since February. I'm starting to feel like this is a second TBL order.

Based on what I've been told for playfield replacements probably Jan/Feb 2017

#1160 2 years ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

Finally played a few games on this remake and it's fun. Not as fun as my original Spidey though, and definitely not at that premium price.

Curious. Why do you say SMVE is not as fun? The play is exactly the same. So which is it graphics, call-outs, etc?

1 week later
#1166 2 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

Issue #2. UNRESOLVED. In the past week, when any Sandman mode starts (after the gate drops), the game will sometimes register a target hit for at least four un-related events.
A. When the ball enters the Sandman/Ball Lock VUK behind Sandman, from the orbits, but not consistently
B. When the pop bumpers are activated - but not consistently
C. When the flippers are used - random activation - not all the time but tends to be the right flippers.
D. When the shaker motor runs - again, like the flippers this does not consistently happen.
I verified (while working on Issue #1) that the leaf springs on the inner Sandman targets are not touching and they seem to be properly spaced. The inner Sandman targets are not stuck on or touching the playfield. The Sandman motor assembly is not caught on or moving any wire bundles under the playfield.
I'm guessing that there might be a loose connection somewhere but I have not been able to find it.
Any suggestions?

Issue #2 resolved. Bad Transceiver.
Had some help from a fellow pinsider and diagnosed the problem. The transceiver had a faulty connection. The part was replaced and the game is functioning normally. Part # 500-6775-01

WED_4812 (resized).JPG

2 months later
#1170 2 years ago

Starting an "Exit to shooter lane" mod on my SMVE and I think I just found the SMVE equivalent of SM's "You Snooze You Loose".

It appears the graphic is printed upside down; it should be oriented to face the player. Even Spidey can't balance on top of his web shot.

IMG_0100 (resized).JPG

2 years later
#1182 29 days ago
Quoted from MT45:

Two questions for fellow VE owners ...
1) Does your ball guide to the left of Ock look like mine? Seems angled into the Doc Ock chute and tilted to the right from vertical
2) Does my magnet need replacing? I thought the magnet on the VE should appear as two pieces. Mine looks worn "together"
Thanks
[quoted image]

I'm lazy so here are my through the glass shots for comparison.
This is my third SMVE playfield (first two replaced by Stern).
Probably about 100-200 plays on this particular playfield.
IMG_5603 (resized).JPGIMG_5604 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
North Port, FL
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
6,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fruitland Park, FL
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Port, FL
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 28.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
Sale Pending!
Smithville, MO
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 14.95
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 50.00
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zene10.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside