IMG_4455 (resized).JPG
IMG_4453 (resized).JPG
IMG_4449 (resized).JPG
IMG_3241 (resized).jpg
IMG_0100 (resized).JPG
IMG_4387 (resized).PNG
WED_4812 (resized).JPG
IMG_3580 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I don't see why they need to redo all the code, call outs, or DMD animations of they change the art package. The art package can be comic book style with the same voice sounds we have. Someone has to produce the callouts. No reason it can't be the voice actors used in the movies. Also the DMD animations apply for the same reason. I don't see them doing a ton of coding or porting the game to spike.

Yes, there's a reason it can't be the voice actors or DMD footage used in the movies. If this rumor is true, it's not a Sony movie license. It's a Marvel comic license. They will not have the rights to use ANY movie footage/storyline/voice clips.

-They could (and will) reuse the code. So, it would probably be SAM unless SAM code is easy to port to SPIKE.
-They could re-use the music, as it was original and not movie based.
-They could *maybe* re-use J.K. Simmons voice, as it was all custom and not really tied to any movie narrative.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from bb2j3z:

stern just posted today on fb that they are going to sd comic con.... is this something they do normally every year? Hoping for the VE announcement.

Yeah they've gone for about 3 years or so now. Last year I believe they had IMve and Metallica. They'll probably bring Kiss and something else this year (WWE? Met? ST?). Would be the perfect place for a Spidey announcement.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I took a look at my Spider-Man Playfield closely and it appears to be all hand drawn anyway. The art that would need to change is in the plastics.

Mark, you don't understand licensing.

EVERYTHING on that playfield is from the MOVIES. They're all from the movies' style guides for movie licensed products. There are Spider-Man toys, lunchboxes, etc all featuring that same art.

If they do a VE without Sony's movie license - they can use NOTHING from that art package. Not even the logo.

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Not even the toys!

Nope. Even though the toys WERE custom for the game, they're based on the movie versions. Comic Book Green Goblin & Doc Ock especially don't look like the movie versions.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I think the Goblin toy is the only one so different from the comic book version that it would matter (the others are rather generic looking versions of the characters (Marco wore a green striped shirt in the comic books and the movie, Doc Ock had glasses, etc.). That being said I know nothing about licensing rules / laws / if there is going to be a VE, etc.

Doc Ock looks like Alfred Molina. Sandman looks like Thomas Hayden Church. Venom is the movie design. All toys would be redesigned to resemble comic book versions.

Quoted from libtech:

Wonder if the toys are still availible? Or if it would be like lotr le

Stern made them. They weren't off the shelf. If it was a movie license they could make it again....but we're going with the rumor that it's a comic book Marvel license....so they couldn't use them anyway.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

If this turns out to actually be true, and they re-run spiderman with new art, audio and toys and it works (sells), that to me is a new category - not just a 'vault' edition - but a straight up remake/reboot. Sure, the layout is the same, but the art & audio are at least 50% of the game experience.

Exactly - and while I think a hand drawn comic Spidey could be amazing....it could falter with a poorly written/directed sound package. Would be a shame to see Spidey go the route of X-Men audio.

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

It's an interesting theory, but is it worth the investment for a game that already has thousands of machines out there. How many machines would they need to sell to justify the new development? I guess we'll find out.

The expensive part of making a pinball is the design & coding process. That's done and over on Spidey. Coming up with a new art/sound/dots package is pretty minor...if they can sell 500-1000 units, that's like selling a game with a "free" development process - it would be massively profitable compared to a brand new game from scratch.

#105 8 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Fix the typo on the back board
"you ooze you loose"!!???!!!
its should be "you ooze,you lose"
Look for this and other signs of QC from the world leader in pinball!!!!

Again, if this is comic based - it won't use any of the scenarios from the movie...they can change "You Ooze You Loose" to a different mode/story entirely.

3 months later
#141 8 years ago
Quoted from kesselrig:

I really like the idea of a comic themed version. I won't have a chance to play the original until I visit the Pinball Hall of Fame in Vegas at the end of the year.
Can anyone who has played both this and X-men comment on how similar they might be. Wondering if the three flipper fan layout might be too close for a two machine collection.

They're nothing a like. Spider-Man is excellent and X-Men is excrement.

#197 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

If its based on the 60's cartoon I'm in 100%

DR_OCTOPUS_spider-man_1967_060611.jpg4be84bda8d1c7.jpghqdefault.jpgpicture-spiderman1967.jpg

0% chance they'll base it on that shitty low budget Sat AM art. It'll look like good, more current comic book Spidey art

#199 8 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

If you look carefully at the playfield artwork, there is no art specifically identifiable as from the movie, such as actor likenesses. It's only the plastics that have movie likenesses.
A VE that attempts to avoid movie license problems could be done by changing plastics, dots, sounds, faces of the toys and the translite. The cabinet and playfield would not need to change.

Absolutely wrong. The playfield and cabinet are assets from Sony's movie style guide. Every logo & character is theirs and part of their license. Every mode is based on the movie events.

It is ALL changing like FGY to Shrek. Same rules, new art/sound/story.

#202 8 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

Absolutely.
Even the FONT is a Sony asset. That spider logo on the playfield indicating spider targets? Same one as on Sony's version of the costume, so it would have to go, for example.

It's the same font they use for Playstation! That's how "Sony" it is!

2 weeks later
#225 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

I wonder how much the GOT delays will impact their timing on releasing the news on their next title...

Zero. Keep the line moving. People who want GOT will still want GOT. They always have multiple titles for sale. They don't worry about "one stealing sales" from the other - they'll all sell.

2 weeks later
#301 8 years ago

Double that.

Quoted from snyper2099:

Well, what happened to the 1,000's that were lined up with cash in hand? Vanished like a fart in the wind...

They sold 500 with demand for more...and it's back in production as we speak.

#306 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Selling 500 SMVE's that were simply re-released SM's (like IM) would seem feasible for Stern. But if they are going to all the effort to re-art, re-dot and re-sound SM, I would guess they are budgeting on a lot more than 500. At the Premium price point that may be a challenge.

I guess we'll see - plenty of comic book Spidey fans who already like the game but don't own it, and will bite based on art package. The game design & code is already a known factor - we already know it's a ton of fun, plays great, and has completed code. This isn't as much of a "blind faith" launch purchase as other new games.

#308 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

They've moved on man... the rest of us should too and accept that's not going to be part of a NIB going forward.

It is on a Premium game.

#316 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Did you not notice the lockdown bar is gone on the new premiums and LE GOTs?

Last LE I bought was STLE...when did they change the Premiums/LEs to latch style?

#318 8 years ago
Quoted from bobbyconover:

With GoT. Just picked up an LE that has them :/

Well not sure how Flynnibus expects I would have noticed that then...lol.

I'm not anti-latch...I have them on my IM VE, and they hold the bar down super snug. That being said, the "old style" hardware had become part of the LE "added value"...that's kind of a bummer that something else has been taken away as the prices rise.

Are we at plastic aprons for all models now, too? I know TWD Prem/LE had plastic, but I chalked that up to it using the same special apron shape as Austin Powers for the laser cannon...er, crossbow. Austin's was plastic, too.

#331 8 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Where are they then? Mysteriously 250 are missing? That makes no sense.

Missing? Did you Take inventory or something? I heard 500 so... I dunno

#339 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I've yet to see a NIB premium price at $6300, maybe used at that price. Simply put, many of us can't afford $6700 for a friggin toy.

Generally speaking, if you can afford a $5000 toy, you can afford a $6000 toy. That's Stern's logic, anyway - and it's worked. Prices have increased and so have sales.

#350 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Not gonna happen they want to sell the new version not encourage people to keep the old one.

It would be pointless anyway - what would a "kit" entail? Full cab decals & a populated playfield? Probably would be cheaper/easier to just buy the new version and sell your old one.

#352 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Wonder if the new code will fit on the classic version, if the new dots let's say take up more space?

Video takes up more space than traditional dots. Should work fine unless they switch some wiring around or something. FG code works on Shrek and vice versa.

#362 8 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

And yet $2200 games that should be $2k sit for months when sellers are firm on price... I guess NIB buyers are undisciplined. I'm one of those $5k I'm in, $6k no effin' way guys. I also have the proceeds of the sales of mm, afm, im & taf sitting in my "play money" account. I guess maybe I'm a cheapskate.

You're just talking about principal...that's different than not being able to afford it. I'm the same way - I'm generally out on NIB purchases just because it makes me feel ridiculous to spend that much. I'll probably suck it up and bite on a title that really resonates with me like Ghostbusters...but I'm not "impulse buying" every new game like I was a few years ago.

I still say that if you're a person who would spend $5k on a "toy", you "could" spend a bit more and not have to starve in order to do so.

#418 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

That is exactly what it is too, a rumor started by some jamoch. I'll believe it when they announce it.

That John's Arcade video showed the Spider-Man wiring harness on the CURRENT production line. You still think it's a rumor?

#423 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Could just be coincidence, maybe they need a harness to fix several test machines that were also in that video. I'm all for a re-release, just being the devils advocate to try and pry more info.

Test machines? A Spider-Man harness is specific to Spider-Man...the only machine you'd need to test with that harness is a Spider-Man....and Spider-Man is an old well tested game - it doesn't need further testing. They were building Spider-Man (or preparing to), brotha.

2 weeks later
#527 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Is it possible that SMVE will basically be SM Black, and that's why the promium pricing?

??? Black was the same as red aside from the art and metal trim. This is a whole new art/sound package.

#568 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

I used to be all worked up over what the art is gonna look like and how it's gonna be priced. I'm just looking forward to the announcement already so I can make my damn mind up. I have a feeling the art is gonna be love it or hate it which could make it an easy decision if it falls in the "hate it" category. If I love it, then I'll worry about the cost and whether or not it's that much better than the original to justify it...

I'm more interested the audio/dots package. I think the art will be fine. Since they're going comics, it should at least look as good as X-Men. But what about the sound? The movie's gave them tons of great villain performances from Alfred Molina, Willem Dafoe, etc. The potential is there as they can write any dialog or mode stories they want - really interested to see how it gets pulled off. This element is what might sway me to revisit Spider-Man.

#594 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Do you really think they are going to pay for voice actor rights? Stern is all about lowering cost of production and increasing MSRP lately. I'd be shocked if they have callouts from the films added in.

You misunderstand. New Spidey is comic based not movie based. Everything will
be new. Plot, writing and voices = new (and probably music, too). There will be all new voices. Hopefully good voice actors & not a repeat of the terrible X-Men audio nightmare. If they botch the new audio - original Movie-based Spidey will be the definitive version.

#630 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The thought of SM comic art repulses me.

Ummmm....you do realize Spider-Man is a comic book character, right?

#672 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

As someone else said, surely CES is for new tech?

Consumer Electronics Show.

Stern makes electronic products. Their presence showing current and new products is nothing out of the ordinary. This version of Spider-Man is a new product. They're there to sell pinball to the public - the public doesn't care about hobby-talk.

#674 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I have my doubts it will have an LCD but think Spike could happen. If they want to eventually quit making SAM, they'll have to not make new games with it and this seems like a new game with new art and animations but what do I know. Is this the official speculation thread?

They'll still need SAM boards & components to service thousands of games that were sold using that hardware. SAM will be a part of their lives in some capacity...another game on SAM right now wouldn't be out of the ordinary. They kept running TSPP and LOTR on Whitestar long after SAM was introduced.

#678 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

But the public attending a show like CES cares about new tech. So does the media. That's why they go. To the public, the dmd games look no different than the games they remember from 20 years ago.
The buzz from last years CES, outside of pinball, was ALL about the new tech.

Pinball is inherently retro. A pinball company is there to show their pinball products - not time-travelling iPad-imbedded solar-powered toasters or whatever. There isn't a tech litmus test to get a booth at CES. They're an electronics company. They're there to show electronic products. Simple.

#691 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Yes, but this is a speculation thread and I can only dream.
You have to admit a native colour LCD would be the difference between this title being a "maybe but not worth the price" and "I have to have this".

Oh absolutely - but in relation to the CES...an LCD screen is "old tech" But yeah, I'm completely ready for Stern to finally go color. That might have pushed me toward a purchase on GoT...as it stands, I'm skipping that title.

#732 8 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Sandman, Doc, and goblin all look to be stationary now... Way to nerf the game and charge more!

You're partially wrong. Goblin is clearly attached to the plastic and lost his spring mech. Doc Ock and Sandman look like they're on moving mechs, though. If Ock didn't move, the magnet wouldn't be able to grab the ball. Sandman also has to block the ball so you can attack him when the 3-bank drops.

#738 8 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Sandman looks stationary to me. He is what the origianal looks like. No rubber pad . not sure if it will
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=5237&picno=34630&zoom=1

Nah, look at again at the high rez pics from IGN. Sandmand's black platform is attached to the up/down mech. Looks like he'll lower to be flush w/ the playfield - and the ball will actually hit the toy.

#743 8 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Ah yes you are right on Ock. But sandman still looks attached to plastic to me.

Nope, look. You can see the up/down piece mounted behind it. There's a perfect space between the plastics for him to move up and down.

Sandman_(resized).jpgSandman_(resized).jpg

#847 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Did sandman move before? Lol I owned this game nib since 2010 and didn't even realize this.

How is that possible? Blinded by purple light?

Sandman is down until you hit him enough times for his final shot. He raises, and then you hit the ball behind him into the saucer & watch the "mode finish" sequence.

#897 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think Batman '66 is very cool. But even when it's done tastefully part of the charm is the camp.
And I just don't know that camp appeals to enough people. And TDK isn't revered like SM.
I'd love to see what it looks like if they do it though.

There's already a "Pro" version designed....the Costco version!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.95
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, NY
Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.50
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spiderman-ve?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.