IMG_4455 (resized).JPG
IMG_4453 (resized).JPG
IMG_4449 (resized).JPG
IMG_3241 (resized).jpg
IMG_0100 (resized).JPG
IMG_4387 (resized).PNG
WED_4812 (resized).JPG
IMG_3580 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider baiter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#139 8 years ago
Quoted from kesselrig:

Can anyone who has played both this and X-men comment on how similar they might be. Wondering if the three flipper fan layout might be too close for a two machine collection.

In a way it's like being concerned with the standard two flipper/2 sling layout at the bottom in multiple games along with two orbit shots... it's just accepted that every game has those today, even though there was substantial variation in those areas in the past.

To answer your question more directly, I have them sitting side by side and they don't strike me as similar in shots or rules. The third flipper shot is similar but unlike SM there are other shot options available for that third flipper. ST also has the same third flipper, so does Tron (mirrored), but no one seems concerned about the similarities with those games either.

#142 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They're nothing a like. Spider-Man is excellent and X-Men is excrement.

I'd sell Spidey long before XM.

#184 8 years ago

If Stern prices it in the premium range it's a simple attempt to recoup costs to redo all the art including the DMD movie animations. I originally was excited but I no longer feel compelled because the original SM's are already in the $4k range and after some analysis I don't think the original Spidey lacks a comic feel as it sits. It's is one of the better examples of a licensed Stern game that toned down the movie items... replace the plastics and actors are gone. Replace the translite and the comicy actors are gone too. I can't see they need to replace any movie characters in the art or rules, I assume they are all in the comics, no?

#203 8 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

One would think that to sell these SMVE at top dollar, it would be best to actually take the whole pin and turn it into a "Deadpool" theme. The movie is just around the corner and has already been getting a ton of praise. Family Guy/Shrek to SM/Deadpool. Deadpool was already used in X-men and was a great feature.

Retheme like that is a better idea than yet another SM. However, I've always said, once Stern starts re-releasing too many of their old games, they will have thrown in the towel on new pins outselling old... a possible point of decline in the industry. It hasn't happened yet, but it is one reason I'm not a huge proponent of re-releases. Focus on new!

1 month later
#263 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I would doubt that Stern uses a color display for this title and quite honestly hope they do not so the price stays affordable. Once color LCD's start getting produced there goes another $500 price increase to us. Oh the madness.

Color LCDs actually cost less than DMDs.

#269 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Isn't it awesome how Stern just keeps announcing / shipping new pins every few months. I can't wait to see this pin. Because they had time to just get the art awesome, it's gonna be spectacular.

After GoT, time is no guarantee of anything art related, though SM is more of a known quantity.

#290 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I've heard SM VE is a sure thing, but the price is going to be more in line with premium.

Wow, $1500 markup over Pro for nothing more than different artwork? I would hope Stern throws in powder coated armor, but they don't even do that on Premiums any longer.

#295 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

SMVE should also have a metal apron, service rails, standard lock down bar ect

For premium pricing the possibility is there... At least it will have LEDs and a switch under the front of the cabinet.

#335 8 years ago
Quoted from grifter:

Really hope this happens. The only thing I don't like about SM is the terrible movie art.
Comic version could look amazing.

"could" being the operative word here. SM is already one of the better Stern art packages.

2 weeks later
#529 8 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Spidey ve will be primo bucks wonder if it will be on spike

Stern has repeatedly said VEs will ship with their original boardset.

#571 8 years ago

Nice SM's are already out there @$4500, but everyone is excited to pay higher prices for a new run of the same game. In other words what I see consistently on Pinside is people bitching about pricing then buy the games anyway... so pricing doesn't matter until consumers really do draw a line.... but with plenty of NIB sales @$10k+ and pre-orders still selling out, I don't buy all speculation about whether you guys will or won't pay up for a game that is not even confirmed. If it happens it will be bought.

#591 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

This is where the point you are trying to make fails. It is not the same game! The original movie theme has not met the test of time and is dragging SM down. Sure they are still good games, but you would not sell many new ones with that crappy theme. Substitute cool new SM comic book art, new toys, new dots and new sounds and this game will sell quite well at Premium prices.

In my book same rules + same playfield = same game. It will be refreshed, look different, people will rejoice, and pay premium $$ for it... that's basically what I was saying and you sounds like you agree.

#626 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

It's absolutely embarrassing that pinball, a 6-9K electronic toy does not have an LCD as the standard display in 2016. Embarrassing.
Stern is going to use Spider-Man VE as the ultimate Cash Grab. Replacing the art will cost them nothing. Gary Stern is a genius. He's innovates at a snails pace simply because nobody else can give him a run for the money. I really hope Alien / Ghostbuster go head to head and Heighway can pump out machines as fast as Stern.
I agree with those folks who are OUT until LCD gets incorporated. The red dots in GOT is so embarrassingly bad that I wonder how people can even enjoy the experience after playing LCD or even Color DMD.

At least with SM VE they are trying to refresh the game rather than making it a pure cash grab... but Stern loves to value a handful of cheap upgrades @ $2k.... customers buy it up, and then bitch when someone is trying to get par value for aftermarket upgrades. Lets face it, Pinball buyers are nothing if not inconsistent.

#627 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

How do you figure? Really nice HUO SM is ~$5500.

Not exactly...SM values fell into the $4k range many months ago. $5k and above typically have $hundreds in aftermarket upgrades.

I'm also still struggling to understand how you say the Tobey Maguire SM is so dated? The SM image has been very consistent over the decades...

smcab_(resized).jpgsmcab_(resized).jpg

MarvelTreasury_01_(resized).jpgMarvelTreasury_01_(resized).jpg

#725 8 years ago

Looks brighter and more "comicy". I expected more redesign in the playfield art but it is just a restyle. I prefer the slightly darker theme and colors of the original, but I applaud Stern for redoing the art and dots with the VE rather than a simple re-run like they did with IM. Good stuff.

#870 8 years ago

I think this new SM is an attractive upgrade for operators... it will be far more showy on location due to the original being dark due to the color scheme and incandescent bulbs. It will also be more attractive to the younger crowd due to it being based on the Ultimate Spider Man universe which is newer and teenage Peter Parker is obviously geared toward a younger audience.

Considering the value of this edition to operators, the fact that Stern always markets the Pro as the operator model due to price point (Premium for enthusiasts, LE for collectors), and the fact that the pinball core demographic pre-dates the USM universe, I can understand the confusion and complaints on the Premium price point. It's not as much a negative reaction to end product, it's that Stern continues to muddle it's marketing message. Ultimately everyone buys what they want anyhow, as I see plenty of Premiums and LEs on location.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, NY
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint Johns, MI
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.95
$ 25.50
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Delta, BC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider baiter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spiderman-ve?tu=baiter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.