Topic Stats

• 1,179 posts
  • 300 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 26 minutes ago by MT45
  • Topic is favorited by 27 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 118 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4464_LI (resized).jpg
IMG_4450 (resized).JPG
IMG_4451 (resized).JPG
IMG_4452 (resized).JPG
IMG_4454 (resized).JPG
IMG_4455 (resized).JPG
IMG_4453 (resized).JPG
IMG_4449 (resized).JPG
IMG_3241 (resized).jpg
IMG_0100 (resized).JPG
IMG_4387 (resized).PNG
WED_4812 (resized).JPG
IMG_3580 (resized).JPG
2SZ_3866 (resized).JPG
2SZ_3864 (resized).JPG
IMG_3759 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 3 years ago

I'm not saying all the sales are due to this, but I noticed a spike in them after the rumor hit. So guessing at least some people who were considering selling decided to try and get ahead of a potential VE that would probably make selling an "old" game harder.

If the really do a new art package that looks sweet I have no doubt they'll sell theme easily. Hell, I might buy one myself. You can't use Pinside to gauge demand overmuch really. 10 people looking for a pin can make it look like there's a huge swell of interest.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Comic book art with animations from the movie on the DMD would look really stupid IMO. I do think comic book art would look WAY better but they would have to change the DMD animations to match.

It's a given that the DMD animations and the sounds would also change for this to happen. They can't use the movie clips without the license to them.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from ejacques:

My thought...Spider Man and Kiss are two different "collector groups" if you will. No reason you can't release one right after the other.

Personally I'm interested in seeing what a hand drawn new comic art Spider-Man would look like. I'll never, ever, buy a Kiss game.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If they keep the same playfield art though I'm out, that sounds awful.

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

I sold my BSM because I never warmed up to that licensed version of spidey. This thread got me thinking about whether I'd buy back in with a comic-based version, but honestly, if I want a better themed spidey, I'd probably go with STLE. Its similar enough (no, its not a copy) shot-wise and I get a much more modern experience.

They really play nothing alike, even if on the surface they seem pretty similar.

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from erak:

If they renewed the original licence

It's not that simple. I doubt it's possible anymore.

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from kesselrig:

While I'm all for a Spider-Man VE announcement, I'd see taking the Walking Dead as reason enough for them to attend Comic-con.

They were at Comic-Con last year too, and I think the year before that, can't remember, so don't over-read into it. Would it be a great place to announce this? Sure. But they're not going because they have a Spider-Man pin.

3 months later
#147 3 years ago
Quoted from sparechange1974:

If it is art based on comic book(making the assumptions of new toys, play field and cab art, premium edition and premium price point. Can we even call it a vault edition? Sounds like its basically going be a different game? Just my 2 cents.

It's kind of pointless to speculate about an unannounced game that we haven't seen. But if we presume it's getting new art, new sounds, new toys, and new animations, but with the same layout and rules (the presumption being that all of that has to change because of the license switch) then we've seen that before.

Family Guy to Shrek.

#149 3 years ago
Quoted from Sinbad:

personally i dont think this is happening given the iron maiden rumours

I don't see what one has to do with the other. Stern could do Ghostbusters, Iron Maiden, and Star Wars all in a row, and still do a Spidey retheme. They gotta keep the line running and games moving.

#161 3 years ago

My question is this: considering that it's been easy lately to get a HUO Spider-Man for $5k or under is there a market for a $6500 version? Because Premium price point has been the rumor.

No way we're getting new rules. So will people pay that much more for the packaging?

#167 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

If the art looks good I will be buying.

I might too! But only if they really kill the package. If it's a compromise or not that great then pass, why pay all that extra for anything less than a stellar job?

#186 3 years ago

Tell you what, if they don't completely redo it, top to bottom, with killer new art and dots there's no freaking way I'm paying a Premium price for it.

#188 3 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

They won't be porting this to SPIKE. Gary has said in the past VE's with remain on their orginal systems.
Besides, I'm sure they have a ton of SAM boards still in inventory. VE's sound like a good way to get rid of them.

I'm not sure this counts as a VE really. I wouldn't take what Gary said too seriously. He said they'd never remake Iron Man too.

#194 3 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

They could make a brand new game based on spiderman comics, new layout and SPIKE, but that's not a VE.

I don't know that an old layout, with new art, new dots, new sounds is a VE either. It's one thing to slap a new speaker panel decal on it and put in some LEDs. Another to remake all that stuff. I think anything goes.

Honestly I don't really care, it's a silly label. If/when they announce it I'll judge it on the merits of the package, not the label.

I'm a buyer for a great looking game at a reasonable price. I'll pass if it's too expensive or they don't put together a good package for it. Easy enough to buy a used Spider-Man these days if I care. I personally find the movie version kinda ugly though, a new art package sounds good to me.

#209 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

You may be right - but I don't much like that drawing style...

Because it's simplified and stripped down to make it easier and faster and cheaper to animate. And has F-all to do with anything related to pinball since it's aimed at young kids, so I can't see why it would be the model chosen.

1 month later
#283 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm not suggesting that this should be sold at pro prices ($4800)

I am! Sell it at Pro prices and I'll buy one. Sell it at Premium prices and I'll probably pass on a retheme of an older game.

#297 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

BSM people were willing to pay $1500 more for what?

Something exclusive and collectible.

#321 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

apologies was mistaken.

You're doing it wrong. You don't apologize and admit you were wrong, you say something outrageous and mildly insulting to change the topic so everyone forget you were incorrect.

#322 3 years ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

Excuse me...I personally like the latch better as it keeps it down nice and snug.

I don't "like" it, but I don't mind it. It does hold things down nice and snug. And I don't take the glass off every 10 minutes where it matters that it's mildly more inconvenient to do it.

I hate the pegs though, they suck.

1 week later
#429 3 years ago

Most companies don't comment on rumors. Who cares if Stern does on Facebook? It's not like they have a stellar track record of never misleading us.

Remember Gary saying they were never going to make more Iron Mans?

1 week later
#464 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

How do you improve on an already great pin?

Sell it to people who've never owned one?

#473 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Typical price for a nice SM right now is $5000. Stern will have no problem at all selling a new version with new HD art for $500 more.

What if it's $1500 more though?

#485 3 years ago

So the "official" Marvel universe that all the films draw from now is the Ultimate one right? That's why Nick Fury is black now for instance and played by Samuel Jackson, and not a white dude.

I never payed all that much attention to it, didn't get into the new comics. So I'm guessing any art used for a new machine will be Ultimate universe to match.

Anyone follow it? I did some quick googling, and it seems like they rebooted to a younger Peter Parker, back in high school again, and Green Goblin isn't a mask, he looks like the Hulk now or something. Looks like it has a little more of an anime influence, bigger head, bigger eyes.

Ultimate_Spider-Man_Vol_1_155_Textless_(resized).jpg

Maybe the voices will be from the animated series?

usm3_(resized).jpg

#487 3 years ago

Yeah Green Goblin is all hulked out now, literally, down to the purple pants even.

1801575-green_goblin_(resized).jpg

I don't know the story behind it. I was reading Spider-Man comics in the 80s, I'm pretty behind. But I think it's safe to assume that Marvel isn't interested in pushing old stuff, Ultimate Spider-Man seems to be the current character and universe.

#490 3 years ago

Yeah, beats me, I can't keep track of it all. But Ultimate Spider-Man the show seems to take place in the same universe as the films and that's pretty much the "official" one as far as I can tell:

SM-NickFury_(resized).jpg

#491 3 years ago

Wow, I take back my comment about using the cartoon voices, really hope they don't do that, listen to Peter:

#502 3 years ago

Old school or McFarlane is off brand. If you're hoping for that I'd adjust to the fact that Ultimate is the current Spider-Man and what is probably available to license.

#510 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

There is no more Ultimate universe or Ultimate Spider-Man. Green Goblin is also no more in the comics. Norman Osborne has been cured of the Green Goblin. Maybe you're talking about the way they portray him on merch though.

I'm mostly referring to the cartoon, which is called Ultimate Spider-Man I think. I honestly have no idea what's going on in the comics, I haven't read anything from Marvel in ages. Utterly out of touch with whatever universe stuff they've done outside of the films.

My only real point is I see people pining for the Spider-Man of the 60s or the 90s or whatever, and I just don't see it happening. That stuff is all off brand and not supported publicly anymore. This isn't about our childhoods, it's about what's current. Google party supplies and you get this:

F335680F_full_(resized).jpeg

That's the public image of Spider-Man now if you leave the Sony films behind. And I think the new movie Spider-Man is supposed to be the high school Ultimate version.

#518 3 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

If its junky, cheaply drawn modern ultimate-plates-cups-and other crap-spiderman art then I will be thankful that will be one less pin to buy this year.

And yet people are nostalgic for the old cartoon, which is even more cheaply drawn.

Face it, it's a guy dressed up in a red and blue costume with webs on it. They're all cheesy. It's just that the cheesy from when you were a kid is better than the cheesy for kids of today.

Not saying I don't agree with you, the Ultimate one isn't what I grew up with either. I don't have much emotional connection to it.

But I'd take it over the movie images on the old pin. I don't like those films, Green Goblin looks awful for instance. Hulked out shirtless Goblin is no worse than lame shiny armor Goblin.

#524 3 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I gonna say real world price will be like a premium. 6500 plus tax shipped. Just my 2cents

I agree, though I would love to be wrong. I can't really justify that price. Under 6 and we can talk.

#547 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'd likely pass unless it includes color DMD type display.

Going to have dots. So if that's your deal breaker go ahead and move on with your other thing, because it's a red DMD.

#551 3 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

If this is priced at $6500, this will be a huge fail for Stern. Few will buy it at that price, myself included.

I think it's probably going to end up being that price. Custom armor, new art, new toys, etc etc. They're going to position it as a premium game.

I'd love to be wrong, because if it's less than that I'll probably buy it. But no matter how nicely it's dressed up it's going to be the same game as the one I can already get for a lot less if it's too pricey.

#554 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Which means street prices of $5700-6200.

Just to be clear I am talking street prices, shipped. MSRP is BS and we all know it.

If it's $5700 I'm in!

#556 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

Yes, I was talking street price as well. Probably 6700ish shipped from a good distro.

Such a hard pass for me at that price, forget it. I don't really like the movie art, the comic look, even new-school Ultimate Spider-Man style, is better. But it's not nearly $2000 better.

#572 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Nice SM's are already out there @$4500, but everyone is excited to pay higher prices for a new run of the same game. In other words what I see consistently on Pinside is people bitching about pricing then buy the games anyway... so pricing doesn't matter until consumers really do draw a line.... but with plenty of NIB sales @$10k+ and pre-orders still selling out, I don't buy all speculation about whether you guys will or won't pay up for a game that is not even confirmed. If it happens it will be bought.

A) Game is confirmed. It's not a rumor.

B) You're right, people line up, and I'm sure they will for this too. But this is a new situation. It's not MMR. It's not Iron Man Vault. It's an old game, with a facelift. How many people will line up to pay that much more for the facelift when the original is sitting there cheaper?

A new game is a new game, it's exciting. This is only sorta new. We know how this one goes. So curious to see the price from Stern and our reaction. If I can get it shipped for under $6k I'm in. Otherwise ... probably pass unless I just love it for some reason.

#590 3 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

So will the game be different enough that people will have a reason to own both versions?

If you're someone who only collects and doesn't play maybe. It's the same game and layout. Not even a Shrek situation since it's the same characters.

#613 3 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

If I were still a SM owner the thing I would be looking forward to is the potential to replace those hideous slingshot plastics.

So true. Those slingshots are one of my least favorite ever.

#615 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

"New dots", no thanks, you can't improve dots unless it comes in the form of an LCD.

I don't think that's true. I agree that the red DMD is over, time to let it die, but you can definitely have better dots than the smeary Spider-Man movie clips.

#703 3 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

Wonder if this is running on Spike or if sam users can swap bins to run on old game

It's SAM. Bet they don't let old games update though. Can't give away the new dots like that.

#824 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Honestly ... 100% honestly ... I have had my Spiderman for a long time and never took any notice of the moving Goblin. If someone had unplugged it, I wouldn't have even noticed.
rd

Dave, if you would just install screens on all your windows it wouldn't have been so easy to climb through one to unplug your Goblin mech.

#836 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I wonder if this is how they are dealing with the varied brightness effect used in the original as I doubt SAM has anyway to do variable brightness with LEDs.

Seems like it would have been a slam dunk to make those RGB inserts instead for the Premium price.

#884 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

... is Batman the next VE in this "ultimate" style ? my son would love it !

I heard they might do a Batman '66 version of TDK. I dunno how that will go over here. I think it's pretty cool, but TDK isn't exactly a game people are dying to see released again.

Just a rumor, no idea.

GalleryComics_1920x1080_20150422_Batman-66-vol-3-cvr_5515e55b01a1b9.94311897_(resized).jpg

#886 3 years ago
Quoted from BangBackula:

^^^ I absolutely love the fact that artist drew Cesar Romero with face paint over his moustache!!!

Yeah, they really nailed it all, I love the art. And after all the OMG GRIM SERIOUSNESS Batman it's nice to see a little more light hearted take.

#896 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I'm been itching to try a re-theme of a game and Batman '66 is at the top of my list. If stern were to release one it would save me a lot of time and effort. I love this modern version of the movie poster from the '66 film.

I think Batman '66 is very cool. But even when it's done tastefully part of the charm is the camp.

And I just don't know that camp appeals to enough people. And TDK isn't revered like SM.

I'd love to see what it looks like if they do it though.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 50.00
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 25.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jacksonville, NC
$ 28.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 64.00
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Port, FL
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 18.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
North Port, FL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside