IMG_4455 (resized).JPG
IMG_4453 (resized).JPG
IMG_4449 (resized).JPG
IMG_3241 (resized).jpg
IMG_0100 (resized).JPG
IMG_4387 (resized).PNG
WED_4812 (resized).JPG
IMG_3580 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jediturtle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#762 8 years ago

My first impression was...jarring. I'm just not a huge fan of the Ultimate style I guess. Looking at it more, I do like it, but not nearly as much as the original. Venom is completely awesome though. Spidey needs a cheeseburger. Price is ridiculous. For that there should have at least been color changing LEDs to take the place of the brightness changing lights on the original. I wonder if they are going to try to replicate that somehow, or just drop that feature altogether. Overall, it's pretty cool and I can't wait to see the dots and hear the audio. I can't see giving up my original for one though, even as a 1-to-1 trade (and mine is not mint or HUO so that's not even close to happening).

1 month later
#927 8 years ago
Quoted from DuckBrian:

Kind of unfair to compare it to IMVE.
-Custom side armor with laser cut graphics and backing
-all new DMD graphics as well as sounds
-shaker motor included
-completely different molded characters
-additional bulletproofing added from original version including stainless steel bowl chutes and guides as well as protectors in the vulnerable areas and improved magnet mechanism
Etc...
Is it worth being priced at the premium price level, I don't know, but it's definitely not a game that would be put into the pro category which is what people are complaining about.

While I agree for the most part, if they would have left off the custom armor and shaker, it would have been a pro and should have been priced as such. If they wanted to include those things, it should have been as a "Vault LE" in addition to the pro level, not instead of. If the above sales info is true (and I have no idea if it is), I would say the market is telling them this was not the right strategy. Nothing wrong with the fact that it was SM, or even the new art package in my opinion. The failure was the "forced upsell" to a higher level machine.

#930 8 years ago
Quoted from DuckBrian:

Completely understand what you're saying, but no one is "forced" to buy it. If people don't like the price point, they have the absolute option of not purchasing it. But the one thing I can promise you, and I think we all realize this, is that Stern isn't going to lower the price just because we are bitching about it. At a certain point, it just becomes a bunch of people wanting to hear themselves complain about something. It's the Pinside way
Personally, I didn't have a huge issue justifying spending $1000 more for a new-in-box game that has all of the added features I talked about compared to what the older used versions are selling for currently, which is anywhere from $5000-$5500.

Yea, yea...not forced to buy. Forced to take the upsell items such as armor if you want the VE at all is what I meant. I think they would have been much better off offering a standard version at the pro price, and then slap on the armor, shaker, etc at the premium price. But...I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about their business and they have churning out great machines for a very long time, so they are the ones that know what works...not me.

I hope you know me well enough to know I do not fall into the complaining to hear myself talk category. I'm also certainly not expecting them to drop the price at this point. I wouldn't be 100% shocked if they added a stripped down pro version at some point (stranger things have happened), but I am definitely not going to hold my breath either. I'm perfectly happy with my original version so it doesn't really affect me either way. I just want to see them succeed.

#936 8 years ago
Quoted from DuckBrian:

Sure they do, if they were trying to promote this game as one that they wanted to sell in the same volumes as they do a pro model machine. That's what people don't get, that wasn't the intent with this game. It's a niche game that is being sold to those who want one based on comic book version rather than movie with some things added at a higher price. It was strictly a filler to run in their new factory in between new game releases that will be produced by the thousands. If you think they wanted this to sell 2000+ models, I honestly think you're missing the point.

That's a damn good point...hadn't thought of it from that perspective. I guess I'm stuck in the mindset that they should always want to sell as many as possible, especially after going through all the effort to make new art/sounds/dots/etc. I guess driving volume isn't always the point.

3 years later
#1186 4 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

I made the mistake of using the Stern manual and it calls for 56 of the 7/16 " OD rings
In reality, the game takes just 13
No biggie as I use this color in other games as well.
Other than the mistake above, the rest is accurate![quoted image]

The rest might be under the playfield. Some machines use them to cushion/insulate sockets or assemblies. Can't remember off the top of my head if SM is one of them. Of course there is no use in swapping them to fancy rings...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 25.95
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint Johns, MI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Delta, BC
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jediturtle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spiderman-ve?tu=Jediturtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.