IMG_4455 (resized).JPG
IMG_4453 (resized).JPG
IMG_4449 (resized).JPG
IMG_3241 (resized).jpg
IMG_0100 (resized).JPG
IMG_4387 (resized).PNG
WED_4812 (resized).JPG
IMG_3580 (resized).JPG
There are 1,187 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 24.
#351 8 years ago

Wonder if the new code will fit on the classic version, if the new dots let's say take up more space?

#352 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Wonder if the new code will fit on the classic version, if the new dots let's say take up more space?

Video takes up more space than traditional dots. Should work fine unless they switch some wiring around or something. FG code works on Shrek and vice versa.

#353 8 years ago

What are the chances Stern announces before Christmas?

#354 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

What are the chances Stern announces before Christmas?

Pretty good, I think.

#355 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Pretty good, I think.

I don't think they will announce until end of January. It is too close to Christmas already, everyone knows what they are buying their significant other already.

#356 8 years ago
Quoted from PavBall:

I don't think they will announce until end of January. It is too close to Christmas already, everyone knows what they are buying their significant other already.

Wait, what? I have no clue what to get my wife. Yikes, I better step away from Pinside!

#357 8 years ago

With the recent news from Gary Stern on production delays it might get pushed back a bit.

#358 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

The Ironman VE has it's own version of the rom due to different CPU boards (even though they're the same system) -- so I would expect the same thing will happen with Spiderman. New rom will only work in the new version. I would be surprised if their licensing arrangement didn't REQUIRE that.

#359 8 years ago

When is a new version of Flash coming out with different artwork. Love that game. My first pin had one since 1980 before I knew who Steve Ritchie was or the internet.

#360 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Lol, and which one is the wise choice? Hypothetically if they sell 1000 units at $4500 with a profit of $500 per game that's $500K in profit but 1000 machines to service, maintain, deal with quality issues, etc.
Now let's say they sell only 250 but they're marked up an additional $2000 to $6500. With a gross profit of $2500 per game, that results in a net profit of $625K ($125K MORE $$$) AND now they have 75% less machines to service and deal with quality issues/customer complaints.
Not saying it's right or wrong, but from a business perspective there is a clear and obvious choice there...

Don't forget that selling more at lower prices will also help bury the competition... on the other hand, would that "flood the market" and ruin future sales? ....

#361 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Generally speaking, if you can afford a $5000 toy, you can afford a $6000 toy. That's Stern's logic, anyway - and it's worked. Prices have increased and so have sales.

And yet $2200 games that should be $2k sit for months when sellers are firm on price... I guess NIB buyers are undisciplined. I'm one of those $5k I'm in, $6k no effin' way guys. I also have the proceeds of the sales of mm, afm, im & taf sitting in my "play money" account. I guess maybe I'm a cheapskate.

#362 8 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

And yet $2200 games that should be $2k sit for months when sellers are firm on price... I guess NIB buyers are undisciplined. I'm one of those $5k I'm in, $6k no effin' way guys. I also have the proceeds of the sales of mm, afm, im & taf sitting in my "play money" account. I guess maybe I'm a cheapskate.

You're just talking about principal...that's different than not being able to afford it. I'm the same way - I'm generally out on NIB purchases just because it makes me feel ridiculous to spend that much. I'll probably suck it up and bite on a title that really resonates with me like Ghostbusters...but I'm not "impulse buying" every new game like I was a few years ago.

I still say that if you're a person who would spend $5k on a "toy", you "could" spend a bit more and not have to starve in order to do so.

#363 8 years ago

So the old business question in any business to an owner, is it better to sell more pins to increase volume at lower profit lets just say or sell fewer pins at higher gross profit margin?

#364 8 years ago

CVP Analysis

px = vx + FC + Profit

In the above formula,
p is price per unit;
v is variable cost per unit;
x are total number of units produced and sold; and
FC is total fixed cost

#365 8 years ago

p and x are basically known. v, FC, and thus Profit are up for speculation. So although true, the equation is not helpful here.

#366 8 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

So the old business question in any business to an owner, is it better to sell more pins to increase volume at lower profit lets just say or sell fewer pins at higher gross profit margin?

another aspect is to dominate or injure the competition.

If Stern wants to impact JJP in any way, take away excess collectors room and money from the market. Stern can do this more effectively by selling 1200 pins at $5000 than if it sold 300 pins at $6600.

Follow this up with LOTR VE just as JJP is struggling to come to market with The Hobbit.

#367 8 years ago

Or, Stern could just release 8 new titles for every one that JJP produces. I was at a get-together last night, and someone told me he was buying GoT as a placeholder until The Hobbit shipped. I wonder how often this happens, and how often the placeholder ends up being a permanent addition? Since 2013:

JJP: WOZ
Stern: Metallica, Star Trek, Mustang, TWD, GoT, KISS, Wrestlemania, WNBJM

#368 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Since 2013:

Put that in terms of incoming revenue. I'm sure Stern's operating costs are astronomical compared to JJP, but I'd take a constant stream of incoming revenue going straight to cost over a trickle from the faucet with costs that can't be lowered any more.

#369 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Quality > Quantity

All day, every day.

#370 8 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Quality > Quantity
All day, every day.

I would not dare to say Stern is less quality. Point is they have a model that just easy to adjust to new titles. That brings however less cutting edge technology to the product. As all with Stern looks modular and created in large quantities. Quality is good, repair is easy and costs are (or should be) low. Stern just brings pinball to the masses...JJP is just a different approach, same as Highway pinball and Dutch Pinball, more for the collector than for mass operation out in the field.

#371 8 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Quality > Quantity
All day, every day.

I have a WOZ, and ten Sterns. The only machine not working is the WOZ.

Edit-- and I don't mind that it's not working, shit happens. But this whole quality argument is fcking stupid.

#372 8 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Quality > Quantity
All day, every day.

Fun > 'not fun' every day

I'll take 'Low quality' fun pin like IM or Tron over a tour de force pin that I don't find fun to play.

Not saying Woz is bad but I don't care for the gameplay, there's a whole thread debating if Woz is fun or not and some people not just me fall on the not fun side.

I'm not saying JJP does not put a lot of weight into their games, but I'll take a light game like IM.

#373 8 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Quality > Quantity
All day, every day.

Which is why you own Slugfest and Jurassic Park? =P

#374 8 years ago

Ouch that's gotta hurt Gene!

#375 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Which is why you own SlugFest and Jurassic Park? =P

Hey now, don't bash JP!

I'm interested by this because Spider-Man is a licence issue that i wasn't sure they could overcome. Unlike basically everything else where licensing is overblown (you want to license Batman Returns Batman? Sure! Cut us a check!), Spider-Man is in the unique position where Disney now owns it and wants it out of the hands of Sony desperately. The reason for the last reboot was so Sony would keep the license to make movies, but I don't know where licensing for non-active movies would be like on commercial products.

I do know that Disney would rather it doesn't happen, so I think a comic art package is a great solution as they just need to deal with Disney then, but do they have to drop the Sony quotes?

I'm really interesting to see what this ends up as.

#376 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Put that in terms of incoming revenue. I'm sure Stern's operating costs are astronomical compared to JJP, but I'd take a constant stream of incoming revenue going straight to cost over a trickle from the faucet with costs that can't be lowered any more.

I think this illustrates how, not only to keep the doors open,but also how to survive a flop.Like WWE.

Not sure any of the others that have joined the fray could survive a flop.Especially under "no pre-order" conditions.

Quoted from PeterG:Quality is good, repair is easy and costs are (or should be) low.

We've(pinheads)have been conditioned or brain washed into accepting Sterns quality.Many,many QC, fit and finish, complaints over the years.

Repair is easier,especially with the evolution of the board sets.But this is more a result of technological advancements vs Stern innovation.

Costs should be low,newer, readily available,no need for repro,warranty etc.BUT......they are not!!!Stern replacement parts are the most expensive in pinball.

#377 8 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Quality > Quantity
All day, every day.

I would rather own 4-5 of those Sterns before owning WOZ, which is pretty impressive imo.

#378 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Fun > 'not fun' every day
I'll take 'Low quality' fun pin like IM or Tron over a tour de force pin that I don't find fun to play.
Not saying Woz is bad but I don't care for the gameplay, there's a whole thread debating if Woz is fun or not and some people not just me fall on the not fun side.
I'm not saying JJP does not put a lot of weight into their games, but I'll take a light game like IM.

Exactly, random rollovers on the playfield to light multiball => not fun.

#379 8 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Hey now, don't bash JP!

I like both of those games, but when the point is quality over quantity, and those are the two games you own versus another game around the same value of both....it's REALLY hard to argue that SlugFest to most people is worth the money versus almost any full featured pin you can buy for the money..at least in my area. I've seen them sell locally in the 1500 buck range.

#381 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

If I really wanted a SM I'd go pick up a pristine older version for around $5K instead of pay 6K+ for a NIB comic. NIB pins are a gamble especially with the current quality control at Stern. HUO at least you see what you get before dropping a ton of money on it.

If the VE comes out at $6700 would the pristine older one be worth more than $5000?

#382 8 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

I think this illustrates how, not only to keep the doors open,but also how to survive a flop.Like WWE.

But I wonder if WWE was a flop, from Stern's perspective. If they sold say 500 to ops, and they've done well on location, then they made a little money and kept the line going.

#383 8 years ago
Quoted from bridgeman:

If the VE comes out at $6700 would the pristine older one be worth more than $5000?

I'm guessing SMVE won't have much impact on the selling price of the older SM, given the $1700 difference. I've seen nicely modded original SMs listed for ~$5300, and that seems about right.

#384 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I like both of those games, but when the point is quality over quantity, and those are the two games you own versus another game around the same value of both....it's REALLY hard to argue that SlugFest to most people is worth the money versus almost any full featured pin you can buy for the money..at least in my area. I've seen them sell locally in the 1500 buck range.

Slugfest, I get the point on, but it depends on what you're looking for really. I don't exactly have two games, and based on pricing alone I have much better "quality" games stored and awaiting a new house while JP keeps plugging along in my basement.

#385 8 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

SlugFest, I get the point on, but it depends on what you're looking for really. I don't exactly have two games, and based on pricing alone I have much better "quality" games stored and awaiting a new house while JP keeps plugging along in my basement.

I know YOU have more than 2 games, I don't know if that's his situation. I mean, come on..it's not exactly like I'm in the clear here either. We all have our favorites, and Crescendo is NOBODY'S except for mine...and that's only because I put a *ridiculous* amount of work into the playfield to repaint it! I'm on the verge of considering loaning out or storing my Tron and Metallica just because I don't really play them currently, haven't for months, and would like some more space in my living room..

#386 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Which is why you own SlugFest and Jurassic Park? =P

Is this what we are resorting to now? Making fun of each other's collections?

I haven't been in the hobby very long. Bought a JP because it's a sweet game and my son is obsessed with dinosaurs. The Slugfest I bought from a guy who was moving, so he was selling his stuff at a pretty good price.

JJP is on my radar for one of my future games. Whether it's Pat Lawlor's machine, or a reasonably priced WOZ, I'm probably going to pick one up at some point.

Stern just rubs me the wrong way. I feel like their games are churned out so fast that their isn't much to them. Very cookie cutter if you ask me. Just my opinion, though.

#387 8 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

He only has three but they are from current companies. You talk a lot of trash for not being a customer or fellow collector. Not saying you need to buy to comment but yeah I respect another person who buys the similar games as me much more than one maybe saw a game 1 or 2 times out in the wild.
Mind you there are experts that only play in the wild but they have earned that trust with great commentary and proof of their opinions. You just crap all over threads you are not buying in.

#388 8 years ago

Since Xmas is right around the corner, I doubt Stern will announce this till 2016.

#389 8 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Stern just rubs me the wrong way. I feel like their games are churned out so fast that their isn't much to them. Very cookie cutter if you ask me. Just my opinion, though.

I know, right? X-men, Avengers, KISS and WWE are all basically THE SAME GAME.

#390 8 years ago
Quoted from bridgeman:

No I don't think so. A NIB SM VE at $6700 would devalue greatly once opened IMO and settle near $5500-$5800. Pristine old ones won't go much above $5000 in the near future given that a VE is being done regardless of it's price. With so many new pins coming out all older pins seem to be dropping a bit in value and desirability. Just my opinion of course.

#391 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

A NIB SM VE at $6700 would devalue greatly once opened IMO and settle near $5500-$5800.

If the price is that high, I'd be happy with a HUO at $5500 and in reality, I'll probably just get a nice older Spidey for less than $5K.

#392 8 years ago

Or you may just want to wait for a NIB "Guardians of the Galaxy" for 4700.

#393 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I wonder if WWE was a flop,

It is a flop.

Quoted from swampfire:they've done well on location, then they made a little money and kept the line going.

Not in NYC.Local league officials routinely omit this table when they can.As far as making money and keeping the line going.How would you or anybody beside Sterns CFO know the bottom line?

#394 8 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

I haven't been in the hobby very long. Bought a JP because it's a sweet game and my son is obsessed with dinosaurs. The SlugFest I bought from a guy who was moving, so he was selling his stuff at a pretty good price.

JJP is on my radar for one of my future games. Whether it's Pat Lawlor's machine, or a reasonably priced WOZ, I'm probably going to pick one up at some point.

Who do you think made your JP=Stern its the same company. Stern puts out fun pins enough said. Stern is the market every one else building machines is for the home collector. Spiderman is badd ass as is. The new art should be sweet as well.

#395 8 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

As far as making money and keeping the line going.How would you or anybody beside Sterns CFO know the bottom line?

That's exactly my point. How do you know that WWE was a "flop", if you don't have access to Stern's books? You should have quoted my entire sentence, which was:

If they sold say 500 to ops, and they've done well on location, then they made a little money and kept the line going.

#396 8 years ago

So when is the comic book versions of BDK, IM, & Avengers coming out?

#397 8 years ago
Quoted from johnnyfive:

Exactly, random rollovers on the playfield to light multiball => not fun.

I'm not sure that is the best example. Emerald City Multiball is specifically made easier to start so noobs can feel like they are doing something in the game. It is random so that they see it and get intrigued as the machine lets out the holler of "Multiball". As you learn the game NOT starting ECMB becomes part of the equation. I realize not all games can be everything to all people, but almost every game wants to setup achievements that newer players can understand and hit. Sometimes that even means just giving them to you. Then you save the harder ones like Rescue for more advanced players.

#398 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Yes yes a thousand times yes!! I'm so stupid I would rebuy IM and Avengers if it had comic book art.

#399 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I don't think they will. Licenses aren't a problem with those. Spider-Man is rather unique in the changes with the licensor and potential impact. If this is all true, I'm really curious to see what they do for sound.

If the game sells crazy well though, I could see them doing at least Batman in comic style.

#400 8 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

If the game sells crazy well though, I could see them doing at least Batman in comic style.

That one is screaming for a new playfield

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 25.95
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,187 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spiderman-ve/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.