Topic Stats

• 1,186 posts
  • 301 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Jediturtle
  • Topic is favorited by 27 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 121 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Rubbers (resized).JPG
IMG_5603 (resized).JPG
IMG_5604 (resized).JPG
IMG_4464_LI (resized).jpg
IMG_4450 (resized).JPG
IMG_4451 (resized).JPG
IMG_4452 (resized).JPG
IMG_4454 (resized).JPG
IMG_4455 (resized).JPG
IMG_4453 (resized).JPG
IMG_4449 (resized).JPG
IMG_3241 (resized).jpg
IMG_0100 (resized).JPG
IMG_4387 (resized).PNG
WED_4812 (resized).JPG
IMG_3580 (resized).JPG

There are 1186 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 24.
#151 3 years ago
Quoted from RVH:

Iron Maiden rumors?
Be still my beating heart!!

Yeah, I thought the Iron Maiden rumours had died for Stern? I remember someone in another thread doubting Stern even had the license. It's been like 2 years since the Iron Maiden rumours started and nothing concrete has surfaced. Especially with titles like Ghostbusters, Jurassic World and Jimi Hendrix rumoured, there hasn't been strong speculation for Iron Maiden lately.

Spiderman VE makes sense. Stern always do a re-run at Christmas and this would be a nice surprise. If they pull it off, the sky is the limit for Vault editions.

#152 3 years ago

I've also heard Stern is doing a SM VE with comic art. I've heard it'll be at the price point of the Premiums.

I share the concerns of Rare Hero... how will they redo and retheme the callouts/modes/clips/playfield toys to make it NOT like the movie which the entire pin was designed around? Can they do this without seeming like a hacked-up, spliced together mess?

I'm just not sure the market is there, either. Are used SM's hard to come by?

#153 3 years ago

Ive heard nothing but great things about the art package and anyone I've talked to seems very excited about the comic art. The shots and ruleset are solid so it seems like it will be a difficult one to f up.

#154 3 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Ive heard nothing but great things about the art package and anyone I've talked to seems very excited about the comic art. The shots and ruleset are solid so it seems like it will be a difficult one to f up.

Yeah, that part is easy. Slap new art on. Simple. But what about everything else?

Toys, dots, callouts, music, modes....literally the ENTIRE game based off of 10+ year old movies, and try to take that stuff out and yet keep the game the same, yet make it seamlessly fit the new comic art, all a fresh and cohesive package. My opinion is the exact opposite....

This is will be a difficult one to NOT f up.

#155 3 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

Yeah, that part is easy. Slap new art on. Simple. But what about everything else?
Toys, dots, callouts, music, modes....literally the ENTIRE game based off of 10+ year old movies, and try to take that stuff out and yet keep the game the same, yet make it seamlessly fit the new comic art, all a fresh and cohesive package. My opinion is the exact opposite....

Half full, half empty, at least there will be something to drink.

#156 3 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

Are used SM's hard to come by?

No they are plentiful.

#157 3 years ago

With GOTLE now mid to late Nov, I cant see how they will be able to get the Spiderman VE to homes before XMas..

#158 3 years ago

Spider-Man has appreciated well past its original price, but still a HUO fetches a lot less than what a new Premium would cost.

Just changing the art would be easy (and maybe they'll spell LOSE right this time?) but if they had to completely divorce it from the Sony movies it would require new dots, speech and quite possibly RULES (since modes are based off events in the movies)

Also, would they have to port it to SPIKE?

#159 3 years ago

I doubt the rules have to change...just the skin covering them. No reason that say "Bonesaw" couldn't change to something like "Carnage Hurry-up" where the goal is still the same...a hundred switch hits.

#160 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Spider-Man has appreciated well past its original price, but still a HUO fetches a lot less than what a new Premium would cost.
Just changing the art would be easy (and maybe they'll spell LOSE right this time?) but if they had to completely divorce it from the Sony movies it would require new dots, speech and quite possibly RULES (since modes are based off events in the movies)
Also, would they have to port it to SPIKE?

Yeah, my questions exactly. And at that point, aren't the development costs close enough to just developing a new pin from the ground up, and thus opening the potential customers to current owners of SM as well?

#161 3 years ago

My question is this: considering that it's been easy lately to get a HUO Spider-Man for $5k or under is there a market for a $6500 version? Because Premium price point has been the rumor.

No way we're getting new rules. So will people pay that much more for the packaging?

#162 3 years ago

What would you pay for a chance to get a NIB spiderman? It is a 2007 game

#163 3 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

Family Guy/Shrek

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#164 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

My question is this: considering that it's been easy lately to get a HUO Spider-Man for $5k or under is there a market for a $6500 version? Because Premium price point has been the rumor.
No way we're getting new rules. So will people pay that much more for the packaging?

And this is the biggest question as they get ready to do this. IM was way over the cost of a new Pro. So that game made sense. I think there will be excitement for the new art package, but it is still Spider-Man. It's like my girlfriend buying a new dress. She is still the same person.

#165 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

And this is the biggest question as they get ready to do this. IM was way over the cost of a new Pro. So that game made sense. I think there will be excitement for the new art package, but it is still Spider-Man. It's like my girlfriend buying a new dress. She is still the same person.

I think it might be more like your girlfriend with some quality plastic surgery.

If the art looks good I will be buying. SM is one of the best games Stern has ever made.

#166 3 years ago

Iron Man was closing in on being a 6K game before the remake, rumors and speculation of it being re-run were denied by Gary. 10000000 reasons from people who owned the game trying to sell or trade it for more valuable games at the time were adamant that IM would never be rerun because of multiple BS reasons of people talking out of their ass.

Another VE is inevitable. I've heard from 2 distributors (with no prompting or questions from me) that SMVE is after GOT early next year. Maybe it'll happen, maybe it won't.

The fact they re-ran IM AGAIN this year proves that the Vault model was a success. SM is popular, there are many Marvel Stern pins. SMVE shouldn't surprise anyone. Especially considering we talk about it more than we do the new games being released at the moment seemingly

#167 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

If the art looks good I will be buying.

I might too! But only if they really kill the package. If it's a compromise or not that great then pass, why pay all that extra for anything less than a stellar job?

#168 3 years ago

I'd think the price will be in between pro and premium, meaning street price $5700

#169 3 years ago

"Will people pay $6500 for hand-drawn art?"

One word: Luci.

#170 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I might too! But only if they really kill the package. If it's a compromise or not that great then pass, why pay all that extra for anything less than a stellar job?

IMO part of the new version has to be new dots, the old game were as bad as any game (as bad as IM). So if it's a new art package as well as new dots (that could lend to color DMD) this would be a serious upgrade.

#171 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

"Will people pay $6500 for hand-drawn art?"
One word: Luci.

Not, the Luci was also a premium and the premiums were already selling for $6500 so not any big price raise for the Luci, more like just an additional supplement to the game like iPhone silver or gold. It's the same iPhone.

#172 3 years ago

Yeah exactly. That's my point. That's the level they'll have to go to...almost a completely different game in every way...new toys, new dots, new modes, etc. They can't just update the art, or it won't work.

But it's even a little more complicated than that. It's not a totally different theme, but it is. It'd be like if they made a live action FGY film, and they re-themed the FGY pin to match that BUT it couldn't have any of the likenesses or art or voices (etc) from the cartoon.

Challenging to do correctly. And again, the question is why? Used Spideys are plentiful and at less than the Premium price point.

Tricky project to get right, and questionable market demand for the effort/resources IMHO.

But yes, if done right, it could be very cool! But it's not going to be as easy as changing the art.

#173 3 years ago

Maiden I'm in

#174 3 years ago

I have been guessing $6200 street price.

#175 3 years ago

A NIB Spiderman VE really interests me, and in fact, I have been holding off getting a used 2007 version for the VE to come out.

However, unless there are enough extras to the VE, and depending on the NIB price point (will it be like the IMVE price point? Or, the higher Stern Premium level price point?), I may change my mind and decide to buy a used original SM instead. So, if the SMVE is the same as the original, except for say - powder coated rails/lockbar and cabinet art/tanslight - and it's $6500 street price NIB, then I would probably pass on it and wait for a nice original SM for $5K to come up locally.

#176 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Not, the Luci was also a premium and the premiums were already selling for $6500 so not any big price raise for the Luci, more like just an additional supplement to the game like iPhone silver or gold. It's the same iPhone.

Same price, yet until that came out AC/DC's never went on the market.

Then all of a sudden people started selling their existing games to get the same thing WITH SEXY HAND DRAWN ART! (that had nothing to do with the game)

#177 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

You ever see what happens when a girl spends 10k on a new set of tatas......She gets a 100k ROI!

#178 3 years ago

If Stern was smart they would price these at $5500. They would sell a shit load of them with minimal development costs and they could use the pin as a production filler. This would also give them a better understand of their pricing elasticity? The more I think about it, the more I think a premium price point would be a huge fail.

#179 3 years ago

I recently got a routed but a fairly nice SM for $4500 and really like the gameplay, rules and everything about it. Guess if I didn't own one already, the only way I'd pay a LOT more for a new one is if it had a LCD screen, really awesome new call outs or something really cool besides just comic artwork. A premium price wouldn't make sense to me on this game.

#180 3 years ago

My guess late next year with tour release

#181 3 years ago

I'd consider buying a comic-art SM (SMC) to compliment my SM Trilogy (SMT) pin if it were a different pin.

That's kind of my point. There are lots of SMTs in the wild. I'd be inclined to get an SMC in addition because they'd compliment each other. Like LOTR and TH. I doubt I'm alone.

So if Stern is going to the expense of new hardware art assets, new software art assets, redoing software to address new lights in new hardware platform, how much more could it be to simply create a new game altogether anyway, for a product with a much bigger potential customer base?

#182 3 years ago

If its based on the 60's cartoon I'm in 100%

DR_OCTOPUS_spider-man_1967_060611.jpg

4be84bda8d1c7.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

picture-spiderman1967.jpg

#183 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

DR_OCTOPUS_spider-man_1967_060611.jpg4be84bda8d1c7.jpghqdefault.jpgpicture-spiderman1967.jpg

Well, the endgame music already is!

#184 3 years ago

If Stern prices it in the premium range it's a simple attempt to recoup costs to redo all the art including the DMD movie animations. I originally was excited but I no longer feel compelled because the original SM's are already in the $4k range and after some analysis I don't think the original Spidey lacks a comic feel as it sits. It's is one of the better examples of a licensed Stern game that toned down the movie items... replace the plastics and actors are gone. Replace the translite and the comicy actors are gone too. I can't see they need to replace any movie characters in the art or rules, I assume they are all in the comics, no?

#185 3 years ago

Nobody knows anything about this pin. Wait and see.

#186 3 years ago

Tell you what, if they don't completely redo it, top to bottom, with killer new art and dots there's no freaking way I'm paying a Premium price for it.

#187 3 years ago

They won't be porting this to SPIKE. Gary has said in the past VE's with remain on their orginal systems.

Besides, I'm sure they have a ton of SAM boards still in inventory. VE's sound like a good way to get rid of them.

#188 3 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

They won't be porting this to SPIKE. Gary has said in the past VE's with remain on their orginal systems.
Besides, I'm sure they have a ton of SAM boards still in inventory. VE's sound like a good way to get rid of them.

I'm not sure this counts as a VE really. I wouldn't take what Gary said too seriously. He said they'd never remake Iron Man too.

#189 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm not sure this counts as a VE really. I wouldn't take what Gary said too seriously. He said they'd never remake Iron Man too.

That's the whole point of this thread. A Spiderman VE with re-themed art and dots. This thread isn't about a brand new Spider-Man comic book themed pinball game.

And as to wether or not everything Gary says should be taken as Gospel, the concept of re-using SAM boards in VE's still seems very reasonable.

#190 3 years ago

Ok. Very excited for this pin as I love Stern SM game but not the movies and love the Gottlieb ASM but not the gameplay. I will jump on this as I hope that this is the best of both combined.

That said, does anyone know if Stern is hiring a famous comic book artist ? Any hints of classic Spider-Man styling or more modern. I would looove Ron Frenz or a similar style. Who would you want to do the Art???

#191 3 years ago

They could make a brand new game based on SpiderMan comics, new layout and SPIKE, but that's not a VE.

Let's just make sure we're arguing about the same thing!

#192 3 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

That said, does anyone know if Stern is hiring a famous comic book artist ? Any hints of classic Spider-Man styling or more modern. I would looove Ron Frenz or a similar style. Who would you want to do the Art???

Well some people do know, they work for Stern. But nothing's official yet and no one here knows for sure if the game will even come out much less what it will look like, this whole thread is speculation.

Quoted from kaneda:

Nobody knows anything about this pin. Wait and see.

#193 3 years ago

I seriously doubt they would change the art and not the dots and pf etc....think about it, the reason the comic art change over is the license expiration. So how is that going to play out with the dots, call outs and everything else being left alone? Besides this is Stern we're talking about they'll get the redneck guy,a girl and some random assembly line dude to re-record call outs in the booth in a day. They also have in house DMD programmers to slap some animations together. If they execute this right this will out sell IMVE. Lastly, I won't put stock in the premium pricing rumor, I'm feeling this will have Pro pricing but I guess we'll see.

#194 3 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

They could make a brand new game based on spiderman comics, new layout and SPIKE, but that's not a VE.

I don't know that an old layout, with new art, new dots, new sounds is a VE either. It's one thing to slap a new speaker panel decal on it and put in some LEDs. Another to remake all that stuff. I think anything goes.

Honestly I don't really care, it's a silly label. If/when they announce it I'll judge it on the merits of the package, not the label.

I'm a buyer for a great looking game at a reasonable price. I'll pass if it's too expensive or they don't put together a good package for it. Easy enough to buy a used Spider-Man these days if I care. I personally find the movie version kinda ugly though, a new art package sounds good to me.

#195 3 years ago

Next up vault comic. image.jpg

#196 3 years ago

Next up is Family Guy with some actual good artwork.

#197 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

DR_OCTOPUS_spider-man_1967_060611.jpg4be84bda8d1c7.jpghqdefault.jpgpicture-spiderman1967.jpg

0% chance they'll base it on that shitty low budget Sat AM art. It'll look like good, more current comic book Spidey art

#198 3 years ago

If you look carefully at the playfield artwork, there is no art specifically identifiable as from the movie, such as actor likenesses. It's only the plastics that have movie likenesses.

A VE that attempts to avoid movie license problems could be done by changing plastics, dots, sounds, faces of the toys and the translite. The cabinet and playfield would not need to change.

#199 3 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

If you look carefully at the playfield artwork, there is no art specifically identifiable as from the movie, such as actor likenesses. It's only the plastics that have movie likenesses.
A VE that attempts to avoid movie license problems could be done by changing plastics, dots, sounds, faces of the toys and the translite. The cabinet and playfield would not need to change.

Absolutely wrong. The playfield and cabinet are assets from Sony's movie style guide. Every logo & character is theirs and part of their license. Every mode is based on the movie events.

It is ALL changing like FGY to Shrek. Same rules, new art/sound/story.

#200 3 years ago

One would think that to sell these SMVE at top dollar, it would be best to actually take the whole pin and turn it into a "Deadpool" theme. The movie is just around the corner and has already been getting a ton of praise. Family guy/Shrek to SM/Deadpool. Deadpool was already used in X-men and was a great feature.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Kalamazoo, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jacksonville, NC
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Port, FL
$ 64.00
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 1,000.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1186 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 24.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside