Topic Stats

• 1,186 posts
  • 301 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 26 days ago by Jediturtle
  • Topic is favorited by 27 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 121 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Rubbers (resized).JPG
IMG_5603 (resized).JPG
IMG_5604 (resized).JPG
IMG_4464_LI (resized).jpg
IMG_4450 (resized).JPG
IMG_4451 (resized).JPG
IMG_4452 (resized).JPG
IMG_4454 (resized).JPG
IMG_4455 (resized).JPG
IMG_4453 (resized).JPG
IMG_4449 (resized).JPG
IMG_3241 (resized).jpg
IMG_0100 (resized).JPG
IMG_4387 (resized).PNG
WED_4812 (resized).JPG
IMG_3580 (resized).JPG

There are 1186 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 24.
#1101 2 years ago
Quoted from eXitStrategy:

Tempted to remove my CDMD from my LOTR and put in the SMVE.

I think I would do the same. The color ROM should be released by tomorrow sometime.

#1102 2 years ago

Picked up my SMVE over the weekend. I really like the playfield, cabinet and translight art. Mine appears to be working fine, the only issue I had was a flasher LED popped out during play, I re-inserted it and also pushed in all the other flasher LED's, they must shake loose during transit.
I heard that the upper PF VUK with the looped ramp by the pop bumpers was causing dents in the PF, so a friend and I were going to apply some mylar there but mine has a large thick piece of clear protective plastic (assuming mylar) there already so I didn't apply it.
Happy so far, will see in the long run. Tempted to remove my CDMD from my LOTR and put in the SMVE.

Yeah mine has a thick plastic sticker/mylar over that area too, but still seems to be denting the playfield.

Id keep an eye on it.

#1103 2 years ago

You guys that have your VE already are lucky. Ordered mine 4 weeks ago and my distributor just confirmed that Stern just said no more VE's until August. Bummer...

#1104 2 years ago
Quoted from Foo:

You guys that have your VE already are lucky. Ordered mine 4 weeks ago and my distributor just confirmed that Stern just said no more VE's until August. Bummer...

I ordered mine minutes after it was announced in January. I received it in March.

#1105 2 years ago

Tempted to remove my CDMD from my LOTR and put in the SMVE.

I wouldn't do that you'll only get one color with SMVE as opposed to full color on LOTR. The ColorDMD is out for regular SM but as far as I know they have not colorized the VE.

#1106 2 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I wouldn't do that you'll only get one color with SMVE as opposed to full color on LOTR. The ColorDMD is out for regular SM but as far as I know they have not colorized the VE.

http://shop.colordmd.com/colordmd-replacement-display-for-spider-man-ve/

#1107 2 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Color ROMs for both Spiderman games get released Tomorrow.

#1108 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Color ROMs for both Spiderman games get released Tomorrow.

That is awesome I had no idea!

#1109 2 years ago

Picked up my SMVE over the weekend. I really like the playfield, cabinet and translight art. Mine appears to be working fine, the only issue I had was a flasher LED popped out during play, I re-inserted it and also pushed in all the other flasher LED's, they must shake loose during transit.
I heard that the upper PF VUK with the looped ramp by the pop bumpers was causing dents in the PF, so a friend and I were going to apply some mylar there but mine has a large thick piece of clear protective plastic (assuming mylar) there already so I didn't apply it.
Happy so far, will see in the long run. Tempted to remove my CDMD from my LOTR and put in the SMVE.

I also had LEDs pop out (spotlights) and come loose under field within the first 50 or so plays.

Add additional mylar! Even with the stock mylar you will get the VUK dent in your play field.

2SZ_3583_(resized).JPG

2SZ_3584_(resized).JPG

#1110 2 years ago
Quoted from Foo:

I ordered my VE a week after it was announced and still don't have mine. Hopefully the August production Run will have all the bugs worked out.

#1111 2 years ago

How are the rules different than original SM?

#1112 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

How are the rules different than original SM?

Not at all. Only some of the names have changed. The gameplay is identical.

#1113 2 years ago

The SMVE is very tempting. The more I see of this game the more I like it. The Color DMD preview is very impressive.

#1114 2 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

The SMVE is very tempting. The more I see of this game the more I like it. The Color DMD preview is very impressive.

I would go for it. It's great!

#1115 2 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

Add additional mylar! Even with the stock mylar you will get the VUK dent in your play field

Unless you put steel there you are always going to get a dent no matter how many layers of mylar you install. The mylar if too thick will create ball hang ups.

#1116 2 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Unless you put steel there you are always going to get a dent no matter how many layers of mylar you install. The mylar if too thick will create ball hang ups.

Yes; look at what is going on and how that device operates, and then say to yourself "dents here are the expected outcome". I understand being bummed about it, but really there is no other expected outcome. Enjoy your game! (I hope).

#1117 2 years ago

Just a word of caution on how fragile the doc ock toy is in SMVE. I was cleaning today and just barely brushed one of his arms and it popped right off. They are very skinny and it apparently takes almost nothing to knock it off. I guess ill be supergluing that back on.

1 month later
#1118 2 years ago

Well i guess you can count me in with the insert issues with SMVE...

So far these two are only ones. Keeping fingers crossed.

20160806_092558_(resized).jpg

20160806_092700_(resized).jpg

#1119 2 years ago

Same here Rick... Four or five last count.

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#1120 2 years ago

Sorry to hear that Dennis. Glad you got yours. Last time we talked you had been waiting a bit.

#1121 2 years ago

Yeah, it took a while... I love the game. It was worth the wait! Just kinda bummed about the ghosting inserts. Hopefully no more will ghost and the ones that have are not going deteriorate any further.

#1122 2 years ago

I had some minor issues with mine beside the inserts.

Trough switches too high needed adjusted

Trough switch screws needed replaced

Right sling post closest to flippers was loose and bent after a couple months. Tnut was spun flat on underside of playfield and post was kinda cross threaded in the tnut. Definitely happened at the factory.

Balls getting stuck on the half gate in right orbit.

All easy fixes. But still annoying for a NIB pin.

#1123 2 years ago
Quoted from wvpinball:

Yeah, it took a while... I love the game. It was worth the wait! Just kinda bummed about the ghosting inserts. Hopefully no more will ghost and the ones that have are not going deteriorate any further.

Sorry to see your's is ghosting. I have at least 12 inserts with ghosting on par or worse than yours. Make sure you contact Stern tech support and get on the list to be officially recognized. See the link below

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious/page/44#post-3279191

#1124 2 years ago

Thanks! I reported to Stern tech support per your link on Friday. I copied my distributor too. Hoping something will come out of it. I have a GBLE on the way. I'm really nervous about that game too.

#1125 2 years ago
Quoted from blimpey:

Before and after photos. Dimmer one is with the factory t-8 bulb. Brighter is with three rows of 5050 LEDs wired to 12v.

Can you post a closeup pic of how this is wired? Looks great. Thanks!

#1126 2 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Can you post a closeup pic of how this is wired? Looks great. Thanks!

Sure, on this one I used a 5.5mm plug at the end of the LED strip and a 2amp 12v DC transformer that I plugged into the service outlet.

Three rows of evenly spaced 5050 LEDs will light nicely.

image_(resized).jpeg

1 week later
#1127 2 years ago

I need some help (unrelated to my 23 ghosting inserts) with my SMVE. Two issues with Sandman. One is resolved - but included here in case you're having the same problem.

Issue #1. Sandman sticking in the up position - RESOLVED. Ever since I got my SMVE in April, Sandman would sometimes stick at the top and not drop down at the successful end of the mode or after a ball search. The Sandman figure is heavy with the weight forward of the rails which creates torque, subsequently causing a lot of friction between the rails and the housing assembly. I attributed the metal on metal friction to Sandman sticking. A light coat of oil helped a bit but Sandy was still sticking.

Coincidentally, I found two screws in the bottom of my cabinet in May, a few weeks after receiving the pin, when I had the playfield up to re-seat some lights. I put them in a baggy and left them in the coin box. It turns out they belonged to Sandman. I don't think they were ever tightened down correctly at the factory - it's odd two screws would come out of the same side.

When re-seating the top-side assembly (w/the figure), the top two sets of screws and bottom set must have the same centerline to centerline distance (measuring left side to right side). If they do not, the figure assembly rails will not fit back down through the housing to meet the motor assembly - they are out of parallel.

Once the rails were in parallel, the entire assembly moves much more smoothly. No stuck Sandman in about 10 games. A record.

Issue #2. UNRESOLVED. In the past week, when any Sandman mode starts (after the gate drops), the game will sometimes register a target hit for at least four un-related events.
A. When the ball enters the Sandman/Ball Lock VUK behind Sandman, from the orbits, but not consistently
B. When the pop bumpers are activated - but not consistently
C. When the flippers are used - random activation - not all the time but tends to be the right flippers.
D. When the shaker motor runs - again, like the flippers this does not consistently happen.

I verified (while working on Issue #1) that the leaf springs on the inner Sandman targets are not touching and they seem to be properly spaced. The inner Sandman targets are not stuck on or touching the playfield. The Sandman motor assembly is not caught on or moving any wire bundles under the playfield.

I'm guessing that there might be a loose connection somewhere but I have not been able to find it.

Any suggestions?

2SZ_3818 (resized).JPG

#1128 2 years ago

Im fishing for things to suggest...
What about putting the game in switch test mode and lightly banging around on the playfield near the sandman and other areas or shaking the machine like the shaker motor might do. Do you get any pings from those switches? Are they "easier" to activate than other standups?(takes less pressure)?

#1129 2 years ago

Sooooooooo ...

While I was trying to resolve the Sandman issue and admiring all my ghosting inserts tonight (20+ and counting, example picture highlighted, just in case it's not clear from across the room) I discovered clear coat issues on SMVE AND my less than 1 month old MET.

More discussions with Stern & vendors. This has been an ongoing headache.

Do I at least win an award other than a "Participant" ribbon?

2SZ_3844 (resized).jpeg

2SZ_3782 (resized).jpeg

2SZ_3851 (resized).jpeg

#1130 2 years ago

Have you contacted Stern? What did they say?

#1131 2 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Have you contacted Stern? What did they say?

So far, I've gotten the equivalent of the IJ response "We have top men working on it, top men"

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious/page/44#postbox

#1132 2 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

Sooooooooo ...
While I was trying to resolve the Sandman issue and admiring all my ghosting inserts tonight (20+ and counting, example picture highlighted, just in case it's not clear from across the room) I discovered clear coat issues on SMVE AND my less than 1 month old MET.
More discussions with Stern & vendors. This has been an ongoing headache.
Do I at least win an award other than a "Participant" ribbon?

You get an award for having a great attitude. If it happened to me I'd be on my 100th forum rant and would simply NEVER buy NIB again.

It's starting to look like this may be the only way to buy a Stern (or PPS, etc) in the future without taking a wild and unnecessary gamble.

Just find a nice HUO you can inspect and save money to boot.

#1133 2 years ago

Anyone else seeing major ramp lifting?

IMG_3759 (resized).JPG

#1134 2 years ago
Quoted from PinJump:

Yes, both left-side ramps have lift like yours. I have my stuck down with mylar. I think all my ghosts are lifting the ramps.

Yet another problem with SMVE.

2SZ_3864 (resized).JPG

2SZ_3866 (resized).JPG

#1135 2 years ago

Damn. So glad I bought an original. I almost pulled the trigger on a VE. Best of luck to those who have the ghosted inserts.

#1136 2 years ago
Quoted from PinJump:

Looks like you got a Hobbit ramp flap prior to the fix.

1 week later
#1137 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I heard they might do a Batman '66 version of TDK. I dunno how that will go over here. I think it's pretty cool, but TDK isn't exactly a game people are dying to see released again.
Just a rumor, no idea.

Posted almost 8 months ago. Well played Aurich!

1 week later
#1138 2 years ago

Looking to pick up my VE that I am buying from a friend in the next few days. Could have gone either way Original or VE, but this was from a local friend and came up first.

#1139 2 years ago

Hey, is anyone having problems with the optos at Doc Ock? Ours seems to register once doc ock lowers causing multiball to start before it should.....any suggestions?

#1140 2 years ago

Anyone aware that there was a code update for this game?

#1141 2 years ago

I'm surprised, I didn't notice any bugs or flaws. SMVE is awesome, I really don't understand why some don't like the art/sound package. They did a great job. I love the Daily Bugle mode, I keep losing the ball trying to read the paper.

Well, my GC score wasn't that hot anyway. Time to update!

#1142 2 years ago

What is on the update?

#1143 2 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

What is on the update?

V1.01 May 26, 2016
======================

1. Added - Redemption and ticket dispenser support.
2. Fix - Doc Ock background animation text for first and third modes was
difficult to read: added outline to text.
3. Fix - Venom did not disappear from the background animation after being hit
in Battle Royale. Fixed.
4. Fix - Reduced the frequency of the speech calls for the third Sandman mode.

#1144 2 years ago
Quoted from Foo:

V1.01 May 26, 2016
======================
1. Added - Redemption and ticket dispenser support.
2. Fix - Doc Ock background animation text for first and third modes was
difficult to read: added outline to text.
3. Fix - Venom did not disappear from the background animation after being hit
in Battle Royale. Fixed.
4. Fix - Reduced the frequency of the speech calls for the third Sandman mode.

Do these changes effect the color dmd at all?

How cool is the color DMD? As good as it looks on you tube?

#1145 2 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

How cool is the color DMD? As good as it looks on you tube?

The color dmd on the SM VE is incredible. No other way to put it.

1 week later
#1146 2 years ago
Quoted from wvpinball:

What is the build date on your pf?

#1147 2 years ago

Your guess is as good as mine...

IMG_3580 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#1148 2 years ago
Quoted from wvpinball:

Your guess is as good as mine...

This is getting riduculous that Stern refuses to implement industry standard practice of adding a date stamp to the playfield. The date means day, month AND year and said stamp needs to be LEGIBLE. Sheesh, come on Stern, your quality control is falling down. It may be a little thing, but there are too many little things and big things leaving the Stern factory these days.

1 week later
#1149 2 years ago

Was there any talk at expo as to when they will start producing Spider-Man VEs again?

Thanks

#1150 2 years ago
Quoted from chet218:

Was there any talk at expo as to when they will start producing Spider-Man VEs again?
Thanks

I'm waiting for a playfield replacement on my SMVE. I was told over the phone last week and at the factory that SMVE's will be back in Jan/Feb

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 64.00
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 28.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 399.95
Machine - For Sale
Madison, WI
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Halethorpe, MARYLAND
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
North Port, FL
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 1,000.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
5,350 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
New Athens, IL
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 1186 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 24.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside