Topic Stats

• 1,186 posts
  • 301 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Jediturtle
  • Topic is favorited by 27 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 121 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Rubbers (resized).JPG
IMG_5603 (resized).JPG
IMG_5604 (resized).JPG
IMG_4464_LI (resized).jpg
IMG_4450 (resized).JPG
IMG_4451 (resized).JPG
IMG_4452 (resized).JPG
IMG_4454 (resized).JPG
IMG_4455 (resized).JPG
IMG_4453 (resized).JPG
IMG_4449 (resized).JPG
IMG_3241 (resized).jpg
IMG_0100 (resized).JPG
IMG_4387 (resized).PNG
WED_4812 (resized).JPG
IMG_3580 (resized).JPG

There are 1186 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 24.
#551 4 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

If this is priced at $6500, this will be a huge fail for Stern. Few will buy it at that price, myself included.

I think it's probably going to end up being that price. Custom armor, new art, new toys, etc etc. They're going to position it as a premium game.

I'd love to be wrong, because if it's less than that I'll probably buy it. But no matter how nicely it's dressed up it's going to be the same game as the one I can already get for a lot less if it's too pricey.

#552 4 years ago

Yeah, there isn't really a question in my mind that the pricing will be in the 6500-7000 range.

I hope to eat my words, but doubt I'll have to.

#553 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

6500-7000 range

Which means street prices of $5700-6200.

#554 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Which means street prices of $5700-6200.

Just to be clear I am talking street prices, shipped. MSRP is BS and we all know it.

If it's $5700 I'm in!

#555 4 years ago

Yes, I was talking street price as well. Probably 6700ish shipped from a good distro.

#556 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

Yes, I was talking street price as well. Probably 6700ish shipped from a good distro.

Such a hard pass for me at that price, forget it. I don't really like the movie art, the comic look, even new-school Ultimate Spider-Man style, is better. But it's not nearly $2000 better.

#557 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think it's probably going to end up being that price. Custom armor, new art, new toys, etc etc. They're going to position it as a premium game.
I'd love to be wrong, because if it's less than that I'll probably buy it. But no matter how nicely it's dressed up it's going to be the same game as the one I can already get for a lot less if it's too pricey.

I hope you are wrong Aurich. I personally think it will be priced at a new tier, which will eventually be the new pro pricing.....$5200-5500. Stern would be foolish to have custom armor on this game as it will only add costs that people will not pay. This game should be about one thing and one thing only, does it make sense to retheme games?? One of the biggest costs associated with building games is the design costs. This game could give Stern the ability to learn a lot about their customer base......and price elasticity for such a product. If they price this high, it just won't sell, go ahead Stern try it........Just like you tried "The Pin".

#558 4 years ago

If this is priced at $6500, this will be a huge fail for Stern. Few will buy it at that price, myself included.

I think you're incorrect. the market has already shown that it will bear prices exceeding $7000 easily. the fact that people are still pre-ordering machines to the point of selling out the LE many times before a single image is leaked just shows stern that with the right license (and the right people behind the helm of said title) they will sell through their allocated [limited] numbers

unless the generic public, operators and collectors [collectively all] go back to sitting on their stacks of cash and actually waiting for the machine to arrive in the distributor showrooms before deciding, people will continue to do what they've doing. get worried that they'll miss out on what may be a limited run and pay up front so as to not miss out

if this were not the case, things like the predator and j-pop fiascos would never have occurred

some of the members here will collectively continue to moan about lack of code, shortcuts that were taken, options that could have been included (or been better), but in the end, as long as they are selling [out] the LEs/premiums as soon as they are announced, they will be able to set (and/or continue to raise) the prices of their offerings

#559 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I think you're incorrect. the market has already shown that it will bear prices exceeding $7000 easily. the fact that people are still pre-ordering machines to the point of selling out the LE many times before a single image is leaked just shows stern that with the right license (and the right people behind the helm of said title) they will sell through their allocated [limited] numbers
unless the generic public, operators and collectors [collectively all] go back to sitting on their stacks of cash and actually waiting for the machine to arrive in the distributor showrooms before deciding, people will continue to do what they've doing. get worried that they'll miss out on what may be a limited run and pay up front so as to not miss out
if this were not the case, things like the Predator and j-pop fiascos would never have occurred
some of the members here will collectively continue to moan about lack of code, shortcuts that were taken, options that could have been included (or been better), but in the end, as long as they are selling [out] the LEs/premiums as soon as they are announced, they will be able to set (and/or continue to raise) the prices of their offerings

This is a simple argument of "new pu$$y" vs. "old pu$$y". Spider-Man is old and I don't think people will be willing to pay. That being said, if the changes made make it feel like an entirely "new" game, your theory will be correct. This is not about a price barrier at $6500, because to your point, we know there is no barrier, this is about people wanting to pay $6500 for a game most have already owned or played to death. Ironman was a huge success because it was priced as a pro, same with the 15th run of Tron.......Great games, at a great price.

#560 4 years ago

It don't matter. Standard pros these days are over 5k. I'll put a finsky that they are over 6

#561 4 years ago

I think it all depends on the perceived value and actual availability vs. the limitedness (actual machines produce), not necessarily the changes made. sure, it will have a new art package (and potentially new dots), and that will give it enough perceived "newness"

LUCI was a perfect example (but to a slightly lesser degree) of this. simply change up the art package enough that you're now attracting a new audience of people who wanted an AC/DC machine, but didn't want a game with aging rockers plastered all over it. sure, stern only produced between 200-400 of them, but once they got towards the end of the run, they kind of all vanished really quick.

I agree with you on both iron man and TRON. two great games that got a lot of recognition after their initial runs, making the re-runs highly sought after. I don't think they actually produced too many IM VE's, but eli curtz's light kit did wonders for TRON want-to-be owners, making all of those subsequent TRON pro re-runs highly desired

#562 4 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

It don't matter. Standard pros these days are over 5k. I'll put a finsky that they are over 6

That's MSRP. If the SMVE MSRP was $6200 and actual pricing was $5500, then people will accept that. I agree with the others, $6500 actual pricing is too much. Id be out which is unfortunate because this is the title I want.

What Stern should understand is expectations determine how people decide if something is acceptable or not. SM was a pro product and a remake even with new art should be at "pro+" pricing. It's not like GOT where you have additional features like an upper playfield. The game is the same.

#563 4 years ago

With people modding games with fancy armor, color DMD, total light mod, painted figurines etc..

It would not be impossible for someone to have $6600 into a Met pro.

So at $6500-$7000 for a SMVE can it be rationalized?. IDK.

I'm hoping the selling price will be $5500 but I'm fearing the price will be $6600.

#564 4 years ago

I used to be all worked up over what the art is gonna look like and how it's gonna be priced. I'm just looking forward to the announcement already so I can make my damn mind up. I have a feeling the art is gonna be love it or hate it which could make it an easy decision if it falls in the "hate it" category. If I love it, then I'll worry about the cost and whether or not it's that much better than the original to justify it...

#565 4 years ago

I have also heard "Premium Pricing" from a reliable source.
But even so I hope it is less.

#566 4 years ago

Ironman was a huge success because it was priced as a pro, same with the 15th run of Tron.......Great games, at a great price.

Iron Man VE came out in the middle of Stern's push from $5k Pros to $6k Pros, so I don't think Stern wants to go back and match that pricing.

Stern's last 2 pros (KISS/GOT) are light on features compared to SM and with a redesigned comic art package it would have better looking art. I doubt Stern wants to put a superior looking, feature filled game for collectors at a lower price than their "cheap pros for the operator". I definitely think $6500+ MSRP. If it's even in line with modern pro pricing I think it looks like a relative deal these days.

#567 4 years ago

I'll vote with my wallet. Premium pricing and I'm out. Plenty of old SM's for less than 5K. Heck I might just change my mind and go with either TWD or GOT.

#568 4 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

I used to be all worked up over what the art is gonna look like and how it's gonna be priced. I'm just looking forward to the announcement already so I can make my damn mind up. I have a feeling the art is gonna be love it or hate it which could make it an easy decision if it falls in the "hate it" category. If I love it, then I'll worry about the cost and whether or not it's that much better than the original to justify it...

I'm more interested the audio/dots package. I think the art will be fine. Since they're going comics, it should at least look as good as X-Men. But what about the sound? The movie's gave them tons of great villain performances from Alfred Molina, Willem Dafoe, etc. The potential is there as they can write any dialog or mode stories they want - really interested to see how it gets pulled off. This element is what might sway me to revisit Spider-Man.

#569 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm more interested the audio/dots package. I think the art will be fine. Since they're going comics, it should at least look as good as X-Men. But what about the sound? The movie's gave them tons of great villain performances from Alfred Molina, Willem Dafoe, etc. The potential is there as they can write any dialog or mode stories they want - really interested to see how it gets pulled off. This element is what might sway me to revisit Spider-Man.

Do you really think they are going to pay for voice actor rights? Stern is all about lowering cost of production and increasing MSRP lately. I'd be shocked if they have callouts from the films added in.

#570 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's all starting to come together now the reason why Lyman wasn't in the new Stern building since the sighting of the new walking dead code of the live dead flip video he was working from home on the new Spidey

#571 4 years ago

Nice SM's are already out there @$4500, but everyone is excited to pay higher prices for a new run of the same game. In other words what I see consistently on Pinside is people bitching about pricing then buy the games anyway... so pricing doesn't matter until consumers really do draw a line.... but with plenty of NIB sales @$10k+ and pre-orders still selling out, I don't buy all speculation about whether you guys will or won't pay up for a game that is not even confirmed. If it happens it will be bought.

#572 4 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Nice SM's are already out there @$4500, but everyone is excited to pay higher prices for a new run of the same game. In other words what I see consistently on Pinside is people bitching about pricing then buy the games anyway... so pricing doesn't matter until consumers really do draw a line.... but with plenty of NIB sales @$10k+ and pre-orders still selling out, I don't buy all speculation about whether you guys will or won't pay up for a game that is not even confirmed. If it happens it will be bought.

A) Game is confirmed. It's not a rumor.

B) You're right, people line up, and I'm sure they will for this too. But this is a new situation. It's not MMR. It's not Iron Man Vault. It's an old game, with a facelift. How many people will line up to pay that much more for the facelift when the original is sitting there cheaper?

A new game is a new game, it's exciting. This is only sorta new. We know how this one goes. So curious to see the price from Stern and our reaction. If I can get it shipped for under $6k I'm in. Otherwise ... probably pass unless I just love it for some reason.

#573 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

A) Game is confirmed. It's not a rumor.

Where's the proof, we've seen nothing but a wiring harness?

#574 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

B) You're right, people line up, and I'm sure they will for this too. But this is a new situation. It's not MMR. It's not Iron Man Vault. It's an old game, with a facelift. How many people will line up to pay that much more for the facelift when the original is sitting there cheaper?

Not saying I am definitely in for Spider-Man VE, but I'd rather pay more for a NIB comic spider-man instead of the Toby McGuire spider-man. I love the spider-man theme, but I don't like the Sony Film theme in the game.

#575 4 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

It's all starting to come together now the reason why Lyman wasn't in the new Stern building since the sighting of the new Walking Dead code of the live dead flip video he was working from home on the new Spidey

Lyman doesn't really make the dots or sounds.

#576 4 years ago

Maybe SM will end up with Spike and an LCD

According to Keith that's why Lyman is given credit on WPT, the first SAM game.

Lyman I think can do a lot more than just write pinball game code.

Thinking maybe he's been hiding out with that new LCD integration with Spike for SM and GB

#577 4 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

new run of the same game.

This is where the point you are trying to make fails. It is not the same game! The original movie theme has not met the test of time and is dragging SM down. Sure they are still good games, but you would not sell many new ones with that crappy theme. Substitute cool new SM comic book art, new toys, new dots and new sounds and this game will sell quite well at Premium prices.

#578 4 years ago

Spike Blows IMO. I'm going back to buying older Sam and white stars

How much cheapening went on... Average weight dropped by what looks 25%. Power supply's instead of transformers.Throw away boards and everything is component based. Higher profits for Stern and no savings passed on to the consumer. I'd stick with the original although I love the idea of the cartoon theme

#579 4 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

How much cheapening went on... Average weight dropped by what looks 25%. Power supply's instead of Transformers.Throw away boards and everything is component based. Higher profits for Stern and no savings passed on to the consumer. I'd stick with the original although I love the idea of the cartoon theme

Duck, I hear markmon coming.

#580 4 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

How much cheapening went on... Average weight dropped by what looks 25%. Power supply's instead of Transformers.Throw away boards and everything is component based. Higher profits for Stern and no savings passed on to the consumer. I'd stick with the original although I love the idea of the cartoon theme

You should stick with EM's. That seems to be more your comfort zone.

#581 4 years ago

SMVE will sell. And it will be Premium price.

Remember, this is a hobby where people lined up to re-buy a game they already owned because it had a purple chick in high heels.

#582 4 years ago

It's shrek all over... And that wasn't much of a success... New art or not... It's the same game at the end of the day. New art and dots aren't going to change the gameplay radically.

But if they only want a smaller run... Maybe it fits the bill

#583 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Remember, this is a hobby where people lined up to re-buy a game they already owned because it had a purple chick in high heels.

Luci did not sell well, they liquidated them. SMVE will sell, but not well and not worth the effort. I will tell you this, I have been talking about this game for almost a year, there is no one more excited and if this is priced too high, I am saying Fuk it! Did I mention I am in on RZ!!!

#584 4 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

You should stick with EM's. That seems to be more your comfort zone.

You got it Kirk , Happy New Year Brother.

#585 4 years ago

Luci did not sell well, they liquidated them

I can't say I heard of anyone getting a Luci for under standard pricing... they didn't sell them very long at all.

#586 4 years ago

Too many other great options coming out in 2016.

SMVE "premium" won't sell great but it won't matter much to Stern, its a good production filler and just another offering in the arsenal that fills a certain niche of people.

However, an LCD might change all that

But like others have said, its already a great pin in its current form at a substantially cheaper price.

I'll be happy with GB, RZ, TH, Alien, JJP#3 and Aerosmith (not a buy for me!) in 2016 as options. I'm in on 2 of those now and 2 more when announced.

#587 4 years ago

12 pages without a single image or real update. We all need to get out more.

#588 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Get out and go watch the ball drop Kaneda.

All will be revealed on Monday

#589 4 years ago

So will the game be different enough that people will have a reason to own both versions?

#590 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

So will the game be different enough that people will have a reason to own both versions?

If you're someone who only collects and doesn't play maybe. It's the same game and layout. Not even a Shrek situation since it's the same characters.

#591 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

This is where the point you are trying to make fails. It is not the same game! The original movie theme has not met the test of time and is dragging SM down. Sure they are still good games, but you would not sell many new ones with that crappy theme. Substitute cool new SM comic book art, new toys, new dots and new sounds and this game will sell quite well at Premium prices.

In my book same rules + same playfield = same game. It will be refreshed, look different, people will rejoice, and pay premium $$ for it... that's basically what I was saying and you sounds like you agree.

#592 4 years ago

Who knows, maybe the VE will have different villains.

I honestly don't know any Spider-man villains beyond the ones in the trilogy.

#593 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Just for you Kaneda.......Spidey VE

image_(resized).jpg

#594 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Do you really think they are going to pay for voice actor rights? Stern is all about lowering cost of production and increasing MSRP lately. I'd be shocked if they have callouts from the films added in.

You misunderstand. New Spidey is comic based not movie based. Everything will
be new. Plot, writing and voices = new (and probably music, too). There will be all new voices. Hopefully good voice actors & not a repeat of the terrible X-Men audio nightmare. If they botch the new audio - original Movie-based Spidey will be the definitive version.

#595 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I hear rumors that they're going to actually improve SMVE's art package instead of putting an awkward cartoon girl on it this time.

#596 4 years ago

As a owner of an original i think its been great. Parts i couldnt find are now availible to stock up on. Spidy is my favorite pin of all time so im glad there will be more out there for the community to enjoy. I do hope they knock it out of the park and keep the pricing reasonable.

#597 4 years ago

Just because it's NEW it does not equal BETTER

I highly doubt they can improve on current SM in a meaningful way.

Doc Ock, Sandman, Venom and Green Goblin

It plays smooth as butter, that's what matters

#598 4 years ago

I'm am actually selling mine tomorrow to a great friend ( and yes ha knows about the new one ). He also prefers a solid we'll build tried and true original.

Picking up a one owner HUO pirates on Saturday

#599 4 years ago

There are a whole bunch of new people who, during the resurgence of pinball, look at sweet games like SM and think, "man, such a great pin. I wish I had've been in the hobby when that came out. I would love that NIB experience with a Spidey". Well, now they can, and I am happy for all of them. Just because there are plenty of used ones around doesn't mean a whole lot of people don't want a new one.
AND, it's a NIB Stern with complete code!

#600 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Just because it's NEW it does not equal BETTER
I highly doubt they can improve on current SM in a meaningful way.
Doc Ock, Sandman, Venom and Green Goblin
It plays smooth as butter, that's what matters

Ok we get it! You prefer the original without even seeing the new one with a comic makeover with new dots, new music and new call outs. Cool!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 28.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
There are 1186 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 24.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside