Topic Stats

• 1,165 posts
  • 297 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by zene10
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 109 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0100 (resized).JPG
IMG_4387 (resized).PNG
WED_4812 (resized).JPG
IMG_3580 (resized).JPG
2SZ_3866 (resized).JPG
2SZ_3864 (resized).JPG
IMG_3759 (resized).JPG
2SZ_3851 (resized).jpeg
2SZ_3782 (resized).jpeg
2SZ_3844 (resized).jpeg
2SZ_3818 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

There are 1170 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 24.
#1 3 years ago

Spiderman came before the current Pro/Premium/LE era now at Stern Pinball. I currently own one and its a great game. How do you think stern releasing a VE of this game will improve on it? will it come with a metal apron and support slide rails or pegs? High def decals sure would be nice Im just wondering if this is a title that could be made better- Iron man was nice but sure benefited from the VE treatment. Just your thoughts.

#2 3 years ago

It would look nice but I don't see them making it due to the fact you can easily buy a used one in nice shape. There is no huge demand for it like there was for IM.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

There is no huge demand for it like there was for IM.

Demand for IM before the VE was crazy

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

It would look nice but I don't see them making it due to the fact you can easily buy a used one in nice shape. There is no huge demand for it like there was for IM.

I've heard from a solid souce it was most likely in the works, so it's definitely maybe being made.

#5 3 years ago

I think there would be more demand for AC/DC just by watching pricing and availability over the last month, seems to be quite a few SM's still out there for sale in the 4,500 to 5,000 range.

#6 3 years ago

I'm not saying all the sales are due to this, but I noticed a spike in them after the rumor hit. So guessing at least some people who were considering selling decided to try and get ahead of a potential VE that would probably make selling an "old" game harder.

If the really do a new art package that looks sweet I have no doubt they'll sell theme easily. Hell, I might buy one myself. You can't use Pinside to gauge demand overmuch really. 10 people looking for a pin can make it look like there's a huge swell of interest.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I've heard from a solid souce it was most likely in the works, so it's definitely maybe being made.

ROFL!!

#8 3 years ago

We need more VE threads.

#9 3 years ago

New art package with comic book art and I'll bite. Love the game but current art is meh.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from denmark71:

Iron Man was nice but sure benefited from the VE treatment.

How so? Decals? LEDs? The metal back box and latching mech on it are $hit.

#11 3 years ago

Biggest benefit to me would be the better cleared PF. The rest can go either way. The 2010 IM's didn't seem to get the most love with the CC on the PF's.

I personally prefer the old cab designed head better so I would still prefer a 10 vs a VE. The 10 has the nicer toys but I think we tend to put to much stock in a plastic toy so that wouldn't sway me either way.

As for SM. If they do a VE, I hope they do one with the webbing. I don't recall what "version" that was but I thought it was called a type of limited edition (not the black edition). It had webbing on the rails and had some plastic webs on the PF in a few places.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from MarcG:

New art package with comic book art and I'll bite. Love the game but current art is meh.

Comic book art with animations from the movie on the DMD would look really stupid IMO. I do think comic book art would look WAY better but they would have to change the DMD animations to match.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

How so? Decals? LEDs? The metal back box and latching mech on it are $hit.

Well, that's a valid opinion, but others might differ. I love my IMVE! It's bright and beautiful, plus I wasn't deep into the pinball hobby when it first came out, so I'm grateful for the VE. I play the heck out of mine and love the metallic looking decals which pictures don't do justice. I might even jump on a SMVE, but have to see it first.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Comic book art with animations from the movie on the DMD would look really stupid IMO. I do think comic book art would look WAY better but they would have to change the DMD animations to match.

It's a given that the DMD animations and the sounds would also change for this to happen. They can't use the movie clips without the license to them.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

I think Stern recognizes there is a big demand for NIB games from people newer to the hobby that don't want to get a game that is eight years old (HUO or not) as they think it will need more work and don't like the fact that it won't come with a warranty.

There is value to NIB, above and beyond the price point - in the eyes of many anyway.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Plenty of people love SM and it will sell very well IMO. I bet it will have comic art, new call outs, & new dots.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Plenty of people love SM and it will sell very well IMO. I bet it will have comic art, new call outs, & new dots.

It will be on the Spike system as well . . . statements to the contrary Gary has made about VE games notwithstanding.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Yes I heard the same thing too and my source is better then your source so it has to be true and thats why I sold my Pro version because thats what my source told me to do so you guys that are thinking about getting a VE (since all the source's say it must be true) need to sell your lower end Spideys now before the REAL bottom falls out....., according to my source that is.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

It will be on the Spike system as well . . . statements to the contrary Gary has made about VE games notwithstanding.

That would certainly spike interest in it!

#20 3 years ago

Well, I hope I am wrong as it will make some people happy. I don't plan to sell mine so I don't care if the value drops a bit on the older ones.

#21 3 years ago

I sold mine, but a VE with original comic book art? I'd buy it NIB and KEEP it!

#22 3 years ago

I don't see why they need to redo all the code, call outs, or DMD animations of they change the art package. The art package can be comic book style with the same voice sounds we have. Someone has to produce the callouts. No reason it can't be the voice actors used in the movies. Also the DMD animations apply for the same reason. I don't see them doing a ton of coding or porting the game to spike.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I don't see why they need to redo all the code, call outs, or DMD animations of they change the art package. The art package can be comic book style with the same voice sounds we have. Someone has to produce the callouts. No reason it can't be the voice actors used in the movies. Also the DMD animations apply for the same reason. I don't see them doing a ton of coding or porting the game to spike.

If they're going to license the movie assets for audio and dmd - then there's not much point in redoing the art package. The whole rumor is very odd.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

If they're going to license the movie assets for audio and dmd - then there's not much point in redoing the art package. The whole rumor is very odd.

That's just it. They don't have license to do old SM movie pin but can get the comic license for art and sounds.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Yes, there's a reason it can't be the voice actors or DMD footage used in the movies. If this rumor is true, it's not a Sony movie license. It's a Marvel comic license. They will not have the rights to use ANY movie footage/storyline/voice clips.

-They could (and will) reuse the code. So, it would probably be SAM unless SAM code is easy to port to SPIKE.
-They could re-use the music, as it was original and not movie based.
-They could *maybe* re-use J.K. Simmons voice, as it was all custom and not really tied to any movie narrative.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They could (and will) reuse the code. So, it would probably be SAM unless SAM code is easy to port to SPIKE.

Why wouldn't they port the SAM code to SPIKE? I'd imagine it'd be pretty trivial to build an emulator to do this considering SPIKE is Linux based. Someone has already done it with pinmame so it seems feasible. Maybe there are performance issues though.

#27 3 years ago

I can't see Spiderman ever getting a reissue with new artwork, etc. Too much effort, while TRON would be a piece of cake and they would sell just as many. I guess we'll see....

#28 3 years ago

If these rumors are true, what are the chances of Stern unveiling a new machine while they are at the San Diego Comic Con this weekend? Seems like the perfect opportunity unless its too soon since the Kiss announcement...

#29 3 years ago

All new dots and call outs? Even i'd be tempted for an SMVE

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yes, there's a reason it can't be the voice actors or DMD footage used in the movies. If this rumor is true, it's not a Sony movie license. It's a Marvel comic license. They will not have the rights to use ANY movie footage/storyline/voice clips.
-They could (and will) reuse the code. So, it would probably be SAM unless SAM code is easy to port to SPIKE.
-They could re-use the music, as it was original and not movie based.
-They could *maybe* re-use J.K. Simmons voice, as it was all custom and not really tied to any movie narrative.

It sure sounds like a lot of work to only sell around 500 of a game at about $5000 (dealer cost would then likely be around $4200).

#31 3 years ago

I'm almost picturing this type of work as 'busy work' Seems the dots and DMD art are mostly completed at launch. I know they might add a scene here or there...but for the most part they are set. It almost seems the graphics guys might need some filler work before their next major project

Quoted from DCFAN:

It sure sounds like a lot of work to only sell around 500 of a game at about $5000 (dealer cost would then likely be around $4200).

#32 3 years ago

Well, I have an old one and it's in mint so mine will stay, but I can see why people would buy it. I sold my IM and was heart broken but money talked. Then boom I got a VE so it was a win win for me.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

If these rumors are true, what are the chances of Stern unveiling a new machine while they are at the San Diego Comic Con this weekend? Seems like the perfect opportunity unless its too soon since the Kiss announcement...

I dont think they would announce a new game or a VE this soon after KISS. I agree Comic Con would be a huge place to make an announcement, but the timing just isn't right for them

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

Why wouldn't they port the SAM code to SPIKE? I'd imagine it'd be pretty trivial to build an emulator to do this considering SPIKE is Linux based. Someone has already done it with pinmame so it seems feasible. Maybe there are performance issues though.

You think building an emulator is trivial? You must be an amazing developer. Even if not emulating and just porting the code, it's still a ton of work.

#35 3 years ago

spiderman ve is next bank on it

#36 3 years ago

stern just posted today on fb that they are going to sd comic con.... is this something they do normally every year? Hoping for the VE announcement.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

If these rumors are true, what are the chances of Stern unveiling a new machine while they are at the San Diego Comic Con this weekend?

It is going to happen there. Just my two cents. Should be interesting, what a great environment for the unveiling too.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from bb2j3z:

stern just posted today on fb that they are going to sd comic con.... is this something they do normally every year? Hoping for the VE announcement.

Yeah they've gone for about 3 years or so now. Last year I believe they had IMve and Metallica. They'll probably bring Kiss and something else this year (WWE? Met? ST?). Would be the perfect place for a Spidey announcement.

#39 3 years ago

I been waiting for a Mint sm but never found one

I am all in for a VE

#40 3 years ago

I can't see Stern announcing a game at comic-con. KISS was just announced 2 months ago.

#41 3 years ago

I took a look at my Spider-Man Playfield closely and it appears to be all hand drawn anyway. The art that would need to change is in the plastics.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I can't see Stern announcing a game at comic-con. KISS was just announced 2 months ago.

If the rumors of Stern doing 6 new titles per year are true, then announcing a new game every 2 months would make sense & align perfectly with that timeline.

We're halfway through 2015 now, and they've already released 3 new titles this year (Wrestlemania, Whoa Nellie, and Kiss). Rumored new titles to be coming soon include Spiderman VE, Game Of Thrones, and Jurassic World.

In addition, Stern confirmed that they had "a few" more titles planned for this year on a recent episode of Coast 2 Coast Pinball:
http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/episode-170-an-evening-with-jody-dankberg-and-jared-guynes_49194

After all, they are in a bigger factory now, and their production capacity has doubled.

#43 3 years ago

My thought...Spider Man and Kiss are two different "collector groups" if you will. No reason you can't release one right after the other.

#44 3 years ago

I don't think a next game announcement at Comic-Con by Stern will have any impact on Kiss sales. Kiss Army is gonna buy it regardless, non-fans would never consider buying one. Many Pinheads have been looking past Kiss and on to the next game ever since Kiss was revealed.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from ejacques:

My thought...Spider Man and Kiss are two different "collector groups" if you will. No reason you can't release one right after the other.

Personally I'm interested in seeing what a hand drawn new comic art Spider-Man would look like. I'll never, ever, buy a Kiss game.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If they keep the same playfield art though I'm out, that sounds awful.

#46 3 years ago

I keep seeing threads like these and think the new machine was announced. Thanks for getting my hopes up. I guess it's time to move my POTC in the off chance the SVE will be made.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

I keep seeing threads like these and think the new machine was announced. Thanks for getting my hopes up. I guess it's time to move my POTC in the off chance the SVE will be made.

You will know exactly when it's announced because there will be ten different threads with each OP thinking that he's breaking the news to Pinside. Happens every time.

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I took a look at my Spider-Man Playfield closely and it appears to be all hand drawn anyway. The art that would need to change is in the plastics.

Mark, you don't understand licensing.

EVERYTHING on that playfield is from the MOVIES. They're all from the movies' style guides for movie licensed products. There are Spider-Man toys, lunchboxes, etc all featuring that same art.

If they do a VE without Sony's movie license - they can use NOTHING from that art package. Not even the logo.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Mark, you don't understand licensing.
EVERYTHING on that playfield is from the MOVIES. They're all from the movies' style guides for movie licensed products. There are Spider-Man toys, lunchboxes, etc all featuring that same art.
If they do a VE without Sony's movie license - they can use NOTHING from that art package. Not even the logo.

Not even the toys (the molded parts)!

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Not even the toys!

Nope. Even though the toys WERE custom for the game, they're based on the movie versions. Comic Book Green Goblin & Doc Ock especially don't look like the movie versions.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 16.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
$ 63.00
$ 15.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 28.95
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 1,000.00
$ 14.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1170 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 24.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside