(Topic ID: 191886)

Stern Spider-Man (SAM) Firing (nearly?) All Switches at Once

By MikeCP

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MikeCP.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hey all,

I have two separate problems that I'm thinking/hoping are related with my Spider-Man.

The first is simpler to explain. I have trouble booting the game up, occasionally. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to the why/when. But I'll flip the game on. Lights will come on, lights will cut out, reboot begins, repeat. Only way I've been able to stop it (and get it to actually fire up for good) is to remove backglass and hit the reset button a few times.

2nd problem is that every once in awhile, while I'm playing, something happens and a bunch of switches fire at the same time. Feels like all coils fire. Multiballs start (if they were a shot away), and the game sometimes kicks out a ball (if MB doesn't start). I haven't been quick enough to notice if this was happening as a result of some switch firing. If I recall correctly, it's happened when the ball has been floating around (not hitting any switches).

I bought it 2nd hand, and it works great otherwise.

Can anyone give me any ideas as to where I should start?

#3 6 years ago

They are not.

And I've gone through and fired individual switches/coils and I haven't yet seen that cause the issue.

3 weeks later
#4 6 years ago

Gonna bump this once more.

I just shopped the game. LEDs, cleaned and waxed, rebuilt flippers. Looks and plays great.

Except my original problem seems to have gotten worse.

Let me try and simplify my question:

What could cause all (maybe not all, perhaps it’s just a single row/column) switches to close randomly during gameplay? It seems to happen most during multiball up in the pops, but I swear it also has happened when the ball is free floating.

#5 6 years ago

Everything tests just fine in switch matrix.

I can pretty confidently say that this is not a single switch causing others to close, but some weird combo (or none at all? See my free floating comment). Is there something I can check/test in the power? I’m not much of an electrician.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from cougtv:

Tap the mpu lightly (rattle it but don't break) with the backside of your screwdriver. Look for corrosion below the batter holder.

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure which component is the MPU on the cpu/sound board. That said, I inspected it pretty damn closely (including removing the battery) and it all looks pretty fine to me.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

This is the ball search. When no switch hit is detected for a time the machine thinks the ball is stuck somewhere and fires all the coils to try and free it.

Oh no, haha. That's not what I'm describing.

This is not just coils firing to free a ball. Many switches actuate/close, impacting gameplay. New modes start, multi balls start, and yes, some coils fire. I only point out that it seems to sometime happen when the ball is free floating to rule out that possibility that a single switch is causing a short that makes other switches close. It'd be a lot easier to diagnose if that were the case.

#12 6 years ago

It's not very easy at all. And it happens really fast. It's been hard for me to see what switches fire. I think there are at least two groups that fire on two separate occasions. One that includes the slingshots (they both fire) and others, and one that includes (I think) all of the green goblin standups (cause the mode starts). It's like I need to film the game so I can go back and look.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 25.95
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.50
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MikeCP.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spider-man-sam-firing-nearly-all-switches-at-once?tu=MikeCP and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.