9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by PersonX99
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I replaced the paper subwoofer in my Iron Man pin with a Goldwood and added a crossover. I also replaced the backbox speakers with 2-way 4ohm speakers wired in series. I noticed (post install) that the stock speakers were 8ohm. I would have thought this would cause the backbox speakers to be noticeably louder at the same volume level, but what I heard was the opposite. The backbox speakers seem to be much quieter and the subwoofer seems louder and (as expected) more bass.
    An l-pad should allow me to balance the sound, but if I wire it to the backbox speakers, won't that only allow me to attenuate the output even further on the already quieter speakers? What I really want is to be able to increase the volume of the backbox speakers without increasing the volume of the subwoofer which distorts heavily at high volume.

Any info or ideas?

Thanks.

#2 9 years ago

There is more than just ohms to the experience of sound. It is also the efficiency of the speakers that count. I always use a lpad to balance the sound between cabinet and backbox speakers. You put the lpad on the loudest speaker, in this case the cabinet speaker. You quiet this down in this way to come into balance with the backbox speakers.

#3 9 years ago

I have done the same thing recently to my Metallica pin and noticed the same thing, stern has used a cap to restrict the ohms because of the 8 ohm factory speakers, you can bypass this by removing the cap and then you will get a lot more volume.
    Only thing is you might notice the back speakers are then louder than the subwoofer, if that is the case you have 2 options, to add an amp to the subwoofer to increase volume or go for the L-pad option for the back speakers to reduce volume.
    You can do this quick cap mod in seconds, just twist so the cap is blocked. image.jpgimage.jpg

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from ChoppaCade:

I have done the same thing recently to my Metallica pin and noticed the same thing, stern has used a cap to restrict the ohms because of the 8 ohm factory speakers, you can bypass this by removing the cap and then you will get a lot more volume.

I'm sorry but this is wrong and needs to be corrected. The cap is there to crossover the sound. It is a 6db high pass crossover. It is not to lower the volume in the backbox. A resistor would be used for that purpose. I do agree with your advice on removing the cap though.

Quoted from PersonX99:

I also replaced the backbox speakers with 2-way 4ohm speakers wired in series. I noticed (post install) that the stock speakers were 8ohm. I would have thought this would cause the backbox speakers to be noticeably louder at the same volume level, but what I heard was the opposite. The backbox speakers seem to be much quieter and the subwoofer seems louder and (as expected) more bass.

Stern probably used more efficient speakers that were snug to the grill. They also probably wired them in parallel yielding a 4 ohm load at the amp. You got 4 ohm speakers wired in series yielding an 8 ohm load at the amp. The amp can take a 4 ohm load and drives 18 watts at 4 ohms. It's only around 12 watts at 8 ohms. It cannot handle a 2 ohm load. So the 4 ohm speakers were a poor choice if you want optimal backbox volume.

However, I always find the backbox needs to be lowered a lot to get any noticable bass after swapping speakers. I often wire the backbox into a 20 ohm resistor to quiet it even further.

#5 9 years ago

definitely markmon, the cap is there to block lows, and the factory speakers very efficient likely cant handle the lows. possibly try wiring the backbox speakers parallel with a 10-20w 3 ohm resistor in series to them, oughtta be safe enough (5 ohm-ish) but dont know what it'll yield soundwise either. doubt you'll need the cap inline to the new.

#6 9 years ago

Markmon is exactly correct (both accounts) 4ohm speakers in series create an 8 ohm load, thus reducing overall volume of the back box, and a capacitor is used as a crossover.

8 ohm speakers in parallel would have achieved the 4 ohm load goal, though your backbox volume still may have been reduced some due to speaker efficiency.

Greg
    www.pinballpro.com

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I'm sorry but this is wrong and needs to be corrected. The cap is there to crossover the sound. It is a 6db high pass crossover. It is not to lower the volume in the backbox. A resistor would be used for that purpose. I do agree with your advice on removing the cap though.

Thanks for correcting me Markmon, I am not an expert and got most of what I know from your threads. I am still playing around with my system to perfect the sound.

#8 9 years ago

Now I wish I had taken a pic of the original wiring. I thought that it came wired in series. The two red-white wires were soldered to the cap, the cap to the + of the left speaker. The of the left speaker was soldered to the + of the right one. Finally the two red-black wires were soldered to the - of the right speakers. AFAIK, this is a series configuration correct?
    I ordered a couple of L-pads and once there come in, I am going to take some time to experiment with the configuration and resulting sound. This, I think might provide a more practical understanding of the different configurations possible.

BTW, does anyone tweek the settings to increase the output of the music and or voice in the game? I usually prefer the voices (call outs) to be louder than the music. However, when I changed the settings in Iron Man, it had little to no effect. This was not the case in Metallica where changing the settings has a noticable effect. Anyone else notice this on a pin?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-speaker-upgrade-diy-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.