Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Drac
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20210514-211735_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    649FB47E-30FA-4802-9A16-FD5FEBF884CA (resized).jpeg

#1 5 months ago

I've got a Jurassic Park Premium and an Elvira HOH Premium on order. Just wanted to get thoughts on upgrading the front speakers to the LE speakers such as what Pinball Life sell. https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-le-speaker-set-5-14-4-ohm.html

Is the difference between Premium and LE speakers worth it or not worth the money and hassle?

Do these two titles in particular benefit from better sound?

If it is worthwhile, the Pinball Life says with the speakers, you need to also purchase " assorted parts sold by links below". However below is just one link to the speaker gasket. Is anything else needs to do the swap?

Thanks for any input.

#2 5 months ago

YES it is worth it! Pretty much any non LE Stern is improved with upgraded speakers. The Stern OEM are pretty cheap. There are multitudes of ways to change out from DIY to packages prepared by others.

With the upgraded speakers you will hear more of the sound track besides just improved sound quality.

Speaker lights go along way to improve the look of your pin as well!

#3 5 months ago

Drac,

I’ve recently upgraded my Stranger Things Premium. Following suggestions from friends, here are the items I used.

When you replace the cover plates for the speakers, remove the foam if you want to see the speakers.

Rockford Fosgate 5.25” speakers
    amazon.com link »

Combo light kit (the $100 option)
    http://www.speakerlightkits.com/5.25-SPIKE-2-Speaker-Plates.html

Color plate (red) (insert your choice here)
    http://www.speakerlightkits.com/5.25-SPIKE-2-Speaker-Surrounds.html

Here's a link to my local group where I have more pics.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gulf-coast-pinball-club-se-texas-sw-louisiana/page/104#post-6262796

Personally, I did it for the look as much as anything. Since your asking about sounds, I did add the pinnovators kit and a sub last week. All together, the game sounds really good.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

649FB47E-30FA-4802-9A16-FD5FEBF884CA (resized).jpeg
    #4 5 months ago

I would say it's absolutely worth it. A few weeks back I played a TMNT LE and AIQ LE on location, they sounded much better then the surrounding non LE games. For just over $50 with the gasket I say it's well worth it.

I ended up going with a Pinwoofer Super Kit for my TMNT Premium, hearing a lot of good things about them (will be installing this week). From what I've read they sound like the ultimate audio upgrade for a pin. Around $350 isn't cheap but if you start adding aftermarket front speakers, an external sub, and a Pinnovators sub hook up you can get close to that.

https://pinwoofer.com/pinwoofer-gt-8in-5-25in-spike-super-kit/

#5 5 months ago

I’ve considered upgrading speakers in the past but have never gotten my head around paying the price people ask for them. Ultimately I’ve been happy with stock speakers in all my games. I've got a Deadpool LE now and think it sounds fine at the volumes I play at. In comparison over the last couple of years I've had a JP Pro, IMDN Prem, GOT Pro, MET Pro, TWD Pro and some others through the house and I felt they all sounded fine too. If it takes two games side-by-side for you to hear the difference then I wouldn't bother.

I think I get it more from a cosmetic perspective as opposed to a sound perspective. With that all said, there are no shortage of people with better hearing than me or are better tuned in to quality sound, but for my dollars, I'd save them at put the money somewhere else. If you "care" about sound and have found yourself commenting to yourself about the poor sound quality of Stern games then I think it makes sense to upgrade... if you're just looking to buy more stuff for your game for the sake of buying more stuff, go for it.

#6 5 months ago

Pinwoofer for sure are the best upgrade and about a 30 minute easy install. And the deluxe type 12 speaker light kit from SpeakerLightKits.com is just amazing, its on far left of pic

Screenshot_20210514-211735_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    #7 5 months ago
    Quoted from roar:

I’ve considered upgrading speakers in the past but have never gotten my head around paying the price people ask for them. Ultimately I’ve been happy with stock speakers in all my games. I've got a Deadpool LE now and think it sounds fine at the volumes I play at. In comparison over the last couple of years I've had a JP Pro, IMDN Prem, GOT Pro, MET Pro, TWD Pro and some others through the house and I felt they all sounded fine too. If it takes two games side-by-side for you to hear the difference then I wouldn't bother.
    I think I get it more from a cosmetic perspective as opposed to a sound perspective. With that all said, there are no shortage of people with better hearing than me or are better tuned in to quality sound, but for my dollars, I'd save them at put the money somewhere else. If you "care" about sound and have found yourself commenting to yourself about the poor sound quality of Stern games then I think it makes sense to upgrade... if you're just looking to buy more stuff for your game for the sake of buying more stuff, go for it.

This is closer to my perspective. I did it mostly for the look. I enjoy adding simple items like this and they are totally reversible. I can pull these off and add them to my next game etc. I like the pinnovators for the simplicity and price. The 4-to-1 adapter is perfect.

#8 5 months ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Pinwoofer for sure are the best upgrade and about a 30 minute easy install. And the deluxe type 12 speaker light kit from SpeakerLightKits.com is just amazing, its on far left of pic
    [quoted image]

Damn it, now I may have to order this lol. Looks great!

#9 5 months ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Damn it, now I may have to order this lol. Looks great!

Look on utube for a vid. It has so many settings , a great upgrade i

#10 5 months ago

Not my vid, just first one I pulled up

#11 5 months ago

#12 5 months ago
    Quoted from roar:

I’ve considered upgrading speakers in the past but have never gotten my head around paying the price people ask for them.

$40 bucks is pretty cheap. Any cheaper and the speakers suck.

Add an external sub for some added bass and you’re in business.

#13 5 months ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

$40 bucks is pretty cheap. Any cheaper and the speakers suck.
    Add an external sub for some added bass and you’re in business.

Agreed, $40 is cheap, the other speaker kits costing 10x that to get into Canada was more the ones I was referring to. I genuinely am not unhappy in any way with the stock speakers. The difference in speakers between my LE vs all the non-LE's I've owned just doesn't register for my ears. So it is an easy pass for me even at $40... and I've got a Polk PSW10 I've added and the extra base doesn't wow me enough to have me hook it up to my Deadpool.

#14 5 months ago

Well they didn’t upgrade the LE speakers until the newest LE spike games, so chances are there was no difference between the speakers.

External sub is best for games with great music (rock pins, stranger things, basically any gottlieb sys 80b) oh and TNA and R&M of course if you really want to get nuts.

#15 5 months ago

The only time it doesnt help is if the pin is in a closet, or one has hearing issues, as we get older.
    My son tells me he can hear the difference, I cant.

But then again, I cant hear my wife either!

#16 5 months ago
    Quoted from roar:

Agreed, $40 is cheap, the other speaker kits costing 10x that to get into Canada was more the ones I was referring to. I genuinely am not unhappy in any way with the stock speakers. The difference in speakers between my LE vs all the non-LE's I've owned just doesn't register for my ears. So it is an easy pass for me even at $40... and I've got a Polk PSW10 I've added and the extra base doesn't wow me enough to have me hook it up to my Deadpool.

I'm currently in this boat too however I haven't heard the difference myself and for 40, maybe I try it? Seems like you need gasket and another item so I guess 64 in total. I already have bass psw10. Still wondering if it's worth the hassle - not the money but actually the effort. Interested in hear more from other owners....

#17 5 months ago

I put the pinwoofer kit in my deadpool pro. It sounds really nice. Easy install as well!

#18 5 months ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I'm currently in this boat too however I haven't heard the difference myself and for 40, maybe I try it? Seems like you need gasket and another item so I guess 64 in total. I already have bass psw10. Still wondering if it's worth the hassle - not the money but actually the effort. Interested in hear more from other owners....

fwiw, my experience putting new speakers in doesn't yield much because of the limitations of the amplifier used in the game. Crap in crap out. I haven't tried it on a stern game, however, but on BW games and even CGC games where I did try, it made little difference. I've found the best sound upgrade is the subwoofer connection, which most already do. I use the pinnovators product, which works well. I haven't tried the pinwoofer product yet, by my guess is that will yield much bigger and more powerful results. Everyone seems to love it. I'm really tempted to try their product on either on my zeppelin or acdc.

#19 5 months ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

fwiw, my experience putting new speakers in doesn't yield much because of the limitations of the amplifier used in the game. Crap in crap out. I haven't tried it on a stern game, however, but on BW games and even CGC games where I did try, it made little difference. I've found the best sound upgrade is the subwoofer connection, which most already do. I use the pinnovators product, which works well. I haven't tried the pinwoofer product yet, by my guess is that will yield much bigger and more powerful results. Everyone seems to love it. I'm really tempted to try their product on either on my zeppelin or acdc.

Put in zepp!! Amazing

#20 5 months ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

By the way, the led strip I got from you for metallica is awesome!! Very cool

#21 5 months ago

If you just want the cheapest solution then get 4" coaxial speakers that are flush mount. Two options are Rockford Fosgate and Kicker. No adapter needed.

#22 5 months ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

its a must on music pins and great on my POTC I hear things I never heard on regular speakers.

#23 5 months ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

its a must on music pins and great on my POTC I hear things I never heard on regular speakers.

I hear good things about them too but this hobby is notorious for over hyping.

I might buy it for GnR and see if I believe it's worth it. If I do, expect an honest/direct review.

#24 5 months ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

fwiw, my experience putting new speakers in doesn't yield much because of the limitations of the amplifier used in the game. Crap in crap out. I haven't tried it on a stern game,

I feel this is true on Stern games as well. I have Pinwoofer systems on my AC/DC and MET and the Pinwoofer amps make all the difference. I would not bother changing speakers without doing something about the amplification.

#25 5 months ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I hear good things about them too but this hobby is notorious for over hyping.
    I might buy it for GnR and see if I believe it's worth it. If I do, expect an honest/direct review.

Just think logically about it. It’s adds an amp and better speakers. Your game is going to be much louder and sound better with complete control over the lows, mids, and highs.

That’s it. Sounds like something you want for the game, Pinwoofer is great. Want to do all that yourself from off the shelf stuff like people have done with Pinstadiums? That’s an option too.

#26 5 months ago

Another +1 for Pinwoofer. I was completely blown away when we installed them on my Hobbit.

#27 5 months ago

Thank you all very much for your replies and input

I can definitely vouch for Pinwoofer as well. I tried an external sub and sound bar on my GnR for marginal improvement then once I changed to Pinwoofer, it was a game-changer. A huge improvement! The problem is at $360 + huge shipping costs to Australia + exchange rate, they are an expensive option. Great for a music pin but maybe less worthwhile for JP or HOH. I was just looking for a more cost-effective option.

Those Speaker Light Kits are also fantastic. I have one in my Iron Maiden and have already bought kits ready to go in my new games.

Quoted from Nevus:

Drac,
    I’ve recently upgraded my Stranger Things Premium. Following suggestions from friends, here are the items I used.
    When you replace the cover plates for the speakers, remove the foam if you want to see the speakers.
    Rockford Fosgate 5.25” speakers
    amazon.com link »
    Combo light kit (the $100 option)
    http://www.speakerlightkits.com/5.25-SPIKE-2-Speaker-Plates.html
    Color plate (red) (insert your choice here)
    http://www.speakerlightkits.com/5.25-SPIKE-2-Speaker-Surrounds.html
    Here's a link to my local group where I have more pics.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gulf-coast-pinball-club-se-texas-sw-louisiana/page/104#post-6262796
    Personally, I did it for the look as much as anything. Since your asking about sounds, I did add the pinnovators kit and a sub last week. All together, the game sounds really good.
    I hope this is helpful.
    Chris
    [quoted image]

Thanks Chris for the info. What a great upgrade you've done here and I might go exactly the same route. Comparing the stock speakers to the ones you upgraded with, there's no way it couldn't be a big improvement!

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside