Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 97 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by phyreteam
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stern-programming (resized).jpg
    13177311_1155114661219483_7423252906447553483_n (resized).jpg
    25573344 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sonny_Jim.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from eli_lilly:

Multimorphic
    -E

P-ROC uses a low-level C library for interfacing with hardware:
    https://github.com/preble/libpinproc

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from eli_lilly:

Well sure, and PC game designers aren't writing video and sound drivers either. My point is, assuming a sufficient abstraction layer, the game CAN be written in Python. Multimorphic has already demonstrated this.
    -E

I don't think any serious manufacturer is going to be writing their games in Python anytime soon.

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from eli_lilly:

Sure, but that's largely because they're doing it the way they've always done it, or at least the way they've done it since the time they moved from assembly to C++.
    -E

No, there's much greater reasons why you wouldn't want to use Python in your commercial product and it's not because of inertia.

#47 7 years ago

Note that I'm talking about commercial pinball development, not P-ROC/MPF. I'm not saying it's impossible to use Python for this, just that you wouldn't if you were making a business out of it. I think you are of the belief that Python makes everything super easy, when in reality it's just as easy to write it in C++.

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

I would consider Dutch Pinball a serious manufacturer

I'd consider a 'serious' manufacturer someone who's manufactured and shipped more than 100 tables. That's just an arbitrary number I plucked out of the air.

Quoted from rosh:

There is no reason you can't use python

Read what I said, I never said you *can't*, just that the large majority of manufacturers don't and for good reasons.

Quoted from rosh:

That setup gives you the real time responsiveness you need, but the flexibility of a language like python.

Are you suggesting that C++ isn't flexible?

Quoted from desertT1:

Code updates from Stern take too long

Switching to Python wouldn't speed up code updates, again a lot of people seem to have this belief that Python is some kind of magic bullet for development.

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

Pretty sure between TBL and BOP2.0 they have shipped more than that.

Maybe combined between the two, I doubt that there's 100 TBLs out in the wild already though. Hell, HP have been making FTH for nearly two years and they still haven't made more than 80. Even Dutch Pinball would classify themselves as Boutique/Hobbyist, they have no plans to make thousands of tables per year.

Quoted from imharrow:

Based on Dwight's talk at CAX this is most likely the way things historically worked (well not copied, but no shared components in game code).

Quoted from paul_8788:

Copy source files from one game to the next? No underlying framework? I highly highly doubt it.

Since at least WPC they've had an underlying framework with APPLE. I wouldn't be surprised if Sys11 games had something similar. Even when it was all assembly they still relied heavily on pre-existing macros. Hell, isn't there a platform where it has a 'flipper' ROM and a 'game' ROM?

Stern almost certainly does have a framework, just take the WWE updates and put them through IDA if you want solid proof.

Quoted from eli_lilly:

there's virtually nothing going on at a fast pace on a pinball.

Well, apart from all that pesky realtime stuff and graphics.

In any case, I think we can all agree that Python is good for some things, C++is good at others (shock horror).

Now can we talk about how on earth PPS are going to 'finish' Cactus Canyon? How on earth is that going to happen, from what I gather the entire source is in ASM, so where are they going to find 6809 ASM coders nowadays?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sonny_Jim.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-software-development-platform?tu=Sonny_Jim and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.