New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 238108)

Stern SM Shaker Motor - Suddenly won't stop running

By CaptFig

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 days ago by Gogojohnnyquack
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

A1B8916A-58FD-454F-BB82-59256E4B876A (resized).jpeg
8879DE80-CEAD-4742-B4BB-2D0F05A8A8BB (resized).jpeg
PastedGraphic-1 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

So I'm a newbie but very tech-savvy. I bought a 2007 Stern SM and installed a Stern SM Rev A Shaker Motor kit. After a couple installation glitches, all fine for about half a dozen games. Suddenly, mid-game the shaker motor starts (properly, in response to play field activation) but didn't stop and now runs whenever power is applied to the machine. Any clues?

#2 1 year ago

Something wrong and that took out the transistor that drives it.

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago

LTG - thanks. That was my thought, too. Question is, is it the transistor on the SM PCB or the transistor on the I/O board? What would your guess be?

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptFig:

LTG - thanks. That was my thought, too. Question is, is it the transistor on the SM PCB or the transistor on the I/O board? What would your guess be?

IO is my guess

#5 1 year ago

LTG - Many thanks. I'm not the best at desoldering/soldering. Don't suppose there's any alternative I haven't heard of?

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptFig:

I'm not the best at desoldering/soldering. Don't suppose there's any alternative I haven't heard of?

Welding.

Easier would be Youtube how to videos. Some scrap wire and solder, practice heating a joint and flowing solder. Then try on a junk board. When you can remove components and replace them without lifting traces off the board. Then move onto your game.

A little practice and you'll be good in no time. And glad you did.

LTG : )

#7 1 year ago

LTG - Thanks!

#8 1 year ago

coz6 - Thanks

#9 1 year ago

Also this repair is one of the simpler ones, thick traces, hard to screw up compared to chips.

1 month later
#10 1 year ago

UPDATE. Finally got around to replacing the I/O PCB transistor associated with the SM. Once again, as soon as power applied the motor runs. I'm emailing with Stern Tech support and waiting for reply but it seems obvious that it's probably the SM PCB.

#11 1 year ago

I had the same problem and confirmed with Stern that there is a bad batch of boards. They will send you a new one. Just send them and email or give them a call.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I had the same problem and confirmed with Stern that there is a bad batch of boards. They will send you a new one. Just send them and email or give them a call.

Many thanks Krupps4!

#13 1 year ago

Arghh!!!! So Stern sent a new Shaker Motor PCB - that fixed the problem - for 2 games!!! Once again, motor runs continuously. The problem is obviously the motor PCB but why the premature failures? Krupps4, I guess it's possible they sent another weak board but could there be anything else causing the board failure?

1 week later
#14 1 year ago

I just got a SAM shaker motor I put in a Star Trek Pre...same thing after a couple games. arg.

1 week later
#15 1 year ago

Yup, same here. WTF? Waiting for Stern to send me a new board, but considering just returning the kit to Pinball Life in exchange for their shaker. So much for paying extra for the Stern OEM model!

3 months later
#16 1 year ago

I just had this happen on my AC/DC Luci VE. Sure enough the transistor on the shaker motor board blew when I hit the spinner. When I looked to see which one I needed to order I saw they had used a 22NE10L, which is an obsolete transistor. It has been replaced by the IRL540N transistor, which is a better transistor IMO.

I had some of those as spares for my Pinball 2000 power driver boards. I replaced the blown one with a IRL540N. The game fired up and the shaker worked as it should. Fingers crossed it is just a matter of an inadequate transistor model.

In hindsight, I wish I would have just gone with the less expensive Pinball Life Shaker Kit as it appears this is a common problem with the Stern shaker kit.

-Drew

2 weeks later
#17 1 year ago

Same - I have a Star Trek Premium Vault and installed the Stern Factory Authorized shaker kit from Pinball life last night and it worked great but tonight it started running constantly. It stops/starts with the coin door switch as a high-volt device should, and it stops when I pull the brown/white wire connection on the shaker board. The transistor on the shaker board is very hot.

Has anyone received a lasting factory authorized fix yet?

#18 1 year ago

I contacted Pinball Life where I purchased the kit and Scott Danesi forwarded me to Stern support where I talked with Chaz. He said that they had a bad batch of shaker boards and instructed me to check the Q1 transistor on the shaker board to see if it is a P22NE10L, which it is. He is now sending me a replacement board and a return shipping label for the bad one.

I'll report back how it goes with the new board. Here is a pic of my bad Q1 transistor:

PastedGraphic-1 (resized).jpg

10 months later
#19 80 days ago

Gogojohnnyquack, did the new board fix the issue? Same thing is happening to me with a Stern kit I installed in my Avatar yesterday. Worked for 6 games then constant on.

8879DE80-CEAD-4742-B4BB-2D0F05A8A8BB (resized).jpegA1B8916A-58FD-454F-BB82-59256E4B876A (resized).jpeg
2 months later
#20 19 days ago
Quoted from Bassproal:

Gogojohnnyquack, did the new board fix the issue? Same thing is happening to me with a Stern kit I installed in my Avatar yesterday. Worked for 6 games then constant on.
[quoted image][quoted image]

UPDATE - The new board that Pinball Life sent out has been working fine.

Hey Bassproal - Whoah, sorry for the tardy response, I had completely forgotten about my posts on this thread!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside