• Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20210129_135502 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Need to replace the armatures on Stern Meteor. Anyone know if there is an alternative part that I can fit in there? Maybe a Bally armature or................??

Replacement Stern parts are scarce to find.....

Thanks,

Nate

#2 6 years ago

I would also like to track some of these down. Surprised (with all the demand) that someone isn't building these...

#3 6 years ago

Yeah this is a problem. When I got my Meteor, I noticed the slingshots were not working well. Looking closer, I could see that they came from a different machine all together and the holes didn't even line up with the original screw holes in the playfield. Then I noticed that nobody that I could find sells these.

Long story short, I was getting the game ready to be in the Free Play Florida tournament and I was pressed for time. I have a Twilight Zone that is completely taken apart, so I took the mechanisms from the TZ and put them into the Meteor. With a little tweaking and yet a couple more holes in the bottom of the playfield, the slings work really well. I had to swap around the plungers if I remember, but if someone was to buy the Williams/Bally levers, plungers and coil brackets as a matched set it should work fine.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Need to replace the armatures on Stern Meteor. Anyone know if there is an alternative part that I can fit in there? Maybe a Bally armature or................??
Replacement Stern parts are scarce to find.....
Thanks,
Nate

Here are the classic Stern part numbers:

A-143 Pivot bracket

A-157-1 Kicker arm

6A-199 Hair pin clip

A-145 Plunger & Link assembly

1B-285 Slingshot coil bracket

A-186 Coil Stop

1A-271 Front coil bracket

This thread may also help:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-electronics-sling-arm-info

#5 6 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input - this has really put a damper on my project - I'll keep on diggin' around and trying out available options.

-Nate

#6 6 years ago

I'm wondering if Williams or Gottlieb assemblies would work.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

I'm wondering if Williams or Gottlieb assemblies would work.

It looks like the Bally set-up would work, I'm guessing anything replacing that unit would work if you have the correct voltage for the coil??? Seems like a simple enough unit.

I have all the hardware except for the correct arm - so I think I'm trying the Pinball Life arm as a first step.

2 years later
#8 3 years ago

Resurrecting this thread because I was searching for a solution to the seemingly hard to find classic stern sling plunger and link.
I had these Williams plungers that were bought thinking they would fit my grand lizard flippers. They were wrong for this (and still can't figure out what they're for on Williams games) but they seem to be perfect for my Stars' slings.
The Marcos # is A-8050-1. (Disclaimer: I'm pretty sure these weren't mislabeled as the sizing is correct, but please don't curse me if they don't work on your machine).
Hope this helps someone.

IMG_20210129_135502 (resized).jpgIMG_20210129_135502 (resized).jpg
4 months later
#9 2 years ago

I'm going to breathe life back into this thread instead of starting another one.

I'm working on my sling shots on my Meteor now and am having a problem finding parts. I think my sling arms are going to live but what I really need is plunger links with a smaller hole,(1/4"?), Where the link attaches to the arm. I can't find them with or without the plunger. I ordered some like the ones in the post above mine but they have the large holes as well. Does anybody know where to get links or plungers and links? My plungers are 2 1/8"

#10 2 years ago

I rebuilt mine using Williams sys 11 slingshot arms and pivots. Reused the stern coil, plunger and mounting bracket. You have to relocate the pivot mount location and possibly tweak the coil mount bracket orientation.

#11 2 years ago

Has anyone tried Data East/Sega/modern Stern # 515-5340-01 slingshot kicker arm?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/515-5340-01

#12 2 years ago

Ken
I'll probably give those a try.ive seen a few that looked close.id love to get away from the 1/4" plunger link stud.

I have a parts manual but numbers often don't supercede as I'm sure you know. It would be nice to have a thread of known useable replacement parts, or parts that can be substituted with slight modification.

#13 2 years ago

I just rebuilt my Stern Stars slingshots and use everything from this kit except the big coil bracket. Seems to be working fine. I did trim off the little hook on the top of the plastic part that contacts the rubber ring. Just have to be a bit careful and strategic on locating and attaching the kicker arm mounting bracket.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/B-12665

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 169.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-slingshot-replacements?hl=jlay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.