(Topic ID: 37845)

Stern Slings: How to Strengthen? (Strengthened)

By MrWizzo

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by MrWizzo
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2013-01-29_10-05-00_637.jpg
2013-01-28_16-08-25_17.jpg
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Along with the knocker kit that somebody else is rumored to be working on! Hmm, wonder who that could be?

I wish I had known you were interested, and we'd have just ordered more parts. Other than the mounting location, the kits at Pinball Life will work the same.

Looking at the Stern docs, I'd agree that I'd expect to see about 2.7 ohms for your unwound coils. For your purpose, trying to make sure you don't blow anything up, using a low estimate would be better anyway.

The 20V that powers the coils is actually higher than 20V, though I don't remember what I measured. The 50V ones actually measured above 70V on my Tron!

Anyway, the rating on a TIP122 is 5A continuous / 8A pulsed. The slingshots are a pulsed operation. If the 20V was really 20V and your coil was really 2.7 ohms, you could calculate the instantaneous draw using:
V = I * R
20 = I * 2.7
I = 7.4A

If I were designing the circuit, I'd want more margin in there, and I'd prefer to use a TIP102, whose current ratings are 8A continuous / 15A pulsed.

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I personally want to play the game how it was meant to be played. I think changing the sling power affects that negatively.

I'm a "play it like it was designed to be played" guy myself, but in this case, the change is not permanent. If Dan sells the game, or gets tired of the mod, $20 gets it back to factory spec.

Of course 90% of the time I work on someone's game, incorrect coils are installed somewhere anyway.

Owners have had the game for years and never knew until I pointed it out.

#53 11 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I wish I had known you were interested, and we'd have just ordered more parts. Other than the mounting location, the kits at Pinball Life will work the same.
Looking at the Stern docs, I'd agree that I'd expect to see about 2.7 ohms for your unwound coils. For your purpose, trying to make sure you don't blow anything up, using a low estimate would be better anyway.
The 20V that powers the coils is actually higher than 20V, though I don't remember what I measured. The 50V ones actually measured above 70V on my Tron!
Anyway, the rating on a TIP122 is 5A continuous / 8A pulsed. The slingshots are a pulsed operation. If the 20V was really 20V and your coil was really 2.7 ohms, you could calculate the instantaneous draw using:
V = I * R
20 = I * 2.7
I = 7.4A
If I were designing the circuit, I'd want more margin in there, and I'd prefer to use a TIP102, whose current ratings are 8A continuous / 15A pulsed.

Hal:

Hey, no problem. I just think it is funny how much you got going on with and for everybody. The kit from PBL will be fine. Cost me a bit more, but next time, I'll give you a call and save some money.

If the 3.1 R I have measured is accurate, then the I is 6.4 , which would seem to be comfortably beneath the 8A pulsed rating for the TIP122. Seems like a more accurate measurement of the coils would be helpful before changing any transistors. But if the 20V is higher as you experienced on the 50 V design, then V could be pushing the limit of the TIP122 even if at 3.1 R and even more if the coils were really at the more expected 2.7 R making the TIP102 a needed option.

Better safe than sorry. Am I understanding this correctly?

What other damage could be caused if this blows the transistor? Also, if something were going to blow, would it have happened fairly shortly after modding the coils?

Dan

#54 11 years ago

If the transistors fail, they'll likely short, and the fuse will blow soon after. If you're set on leaving the coils juiced up, I think I would take my chances with the TIP122 rather than proactively changing to a TIP102. You would run the risk of heat damage by replacing it, and if it does fail, you're basically left with the same job.

BTW, I would highly suspect that the 20V IS actually higher. Both the 50V and 20V are generated using a transformer on line voltage, then running them through a bridge. They are not regulated. I have not measured it, but my estimate would be 28V based on calculations.

#55 11 years ago

Icky sent me this page on coils:

http://www.pinballmedic.net/coil_chart.html

Dan

#56 11 years ago

Pinside's great. Great source for technical advice like Herg, VID1900, DCFAN. Great source for having your thinking and opinions challenged like MARKMON and Jalpert. And it even has IckinItWit who constantly looks out for me making sure I am not blowing stuff up!

Quoted from vid1900:

I'm a "play it like it was designed to be played" guy myself, but in this case,

Overall I agree, but I have to think that in this case even Stern, manufacturer of the 20V system under question in this thread, has agreed tacitly by having changed the slings to 50V.

Dan

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

€ 7.50
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 18.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 25.00
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-sling-conversion-from-20v-to-50v-possible/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.