(Topic ID: 244823)

STERN should think about playing the LONG game!

By iceman44

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 149 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by JodyG
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

38E34250-8687-4DF6-9C17-6CBBAC0D758B (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 9.43.38 AM (resized).png
    IMG_1216 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1220 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1221 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1215 (resized).JPG
    dougmackenzie01 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1660 (resized).PNG
    IMG_1999 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 4 years ago

You guys are really on to something here.

Makes a lot of sense that the #1 pinball company - by far - should radically rethink their business model. I’m sure they are tired of making money and staying in business.

And as players and collectors, I’m sure we’d all be better off if they took cues from their competition. They should start with eliminating whitewoods, abandoning popular licenses, and ending their troublesome practice of releasing numerous titles a year.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Innovate or die Levi
    Remember Kodak? BlackBerry? Etc etc
    Keep on doing the same thing, wash rinse and repeat and see what happens
    Especially if DR does what I’m talking about

Sterns been doing this for 32 years bro.

“Long game” LOL.

Its a little early to be drinking.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

That’s the kind of attitude that is gonna take em down too
    You don’t buy games. I get it
    You do recall the barely hung on lean years no?
    Arrogance and taking customers for granted will put you right back there

Or so you and your ilk have been saying for 5 years.

Why not lead by example and put your money where your mouths are? I expect you guys to go all in on AP and multimorph. That’s where the innovation is boys, buy up their stock!

#20 4 years ago

The pinball machines that don’t exist and can’t buy are always way cooler than the games that do exist and you can buy.

Have fun flipping your innovative deep root games this weekend gang.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

i like their innovation of the power button in the backbox

Yeah remember when they did this and it was the end of the world?

Sarcasm emoji

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

I just wish they would work on the quality. A multiple thousand dollar product that doesn't last will be their downfall if people do as I have.

Then find another thread bro!

This is about how stern needs to innovate if they want to keep up with world-beaters like Oktoberfest.

#94 4 years ago
    Quoted from jcg9998:

The same could be said for Gottlieb. They did it for 45 years and were by far the dominant pinball company for most of those years.

I keep seeing apples and oranges fallacies in this thread, but at least yours is pinball-related so I'll take a bite:

Gottlieb lost their crown due to not only their incompetence in entering the Solid State era, but due to the competing efforts of two other companies, Bally and Williams, that had been around just as long as they had. PINBALL COMPANIES, with the same types of talent, experience, manufacturing and distribution infrastructure, and market share. This has almost zero to do with the flawed analogy you flippantly throw out there.

The premise of this thread is that "Gottlieb," (Stern), is in mortal danger of fading away due to the unproven efforts of tiny boutique companies, some of who do not actually exist yet, and none of whom have anywhere close to the talent, experience, infrastructure, or market share boasted by Stern. It's an absolutely LAUGHABLE analogy to try to make, to compare Gottlieb and its competitors in 1978 to Stern to and its competitors in 2019.

You guys so DESPERATELY want to believe that there's SOMEBODY out there who will make a pinball machine that isn't actually pinball, and is so innovative it will give people a reason who don't like pinball to like pinball, and will give you, who are obviously tired of pinball, a reason to like pinball again. I don't really understand it, but then this place gets weirder every day.

"My guests ALWAYS go to Star Wars Episode One first!" is a great rallying cry to get people at your Super Bowl party to check out your pinball collection for 5 minutes but it's not going to unseat Stern.

#116 4 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

people will always look for the next hot thing, and they’re beginning to find that in other places then Stern..

Quoted from Hazoff:

Yeah and wheres that exactly?

Their imaginations.

Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Competition is always good for the consumer.

Why do people always say this, like it's a 1960s social study class about the evils of communism?

Before "competition" Stern NIB games were about $3700 delivered. The single most made complaint in pinball is that prices are too high. Every time we get a new pinball company prices go up. Thanks competition!

#119 4 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

So, you don't buy NiB pins then. Has any company released this unicorn you speak of?

He must be an EM collector.

Back in the EM days, nobody was UNCONSCIONABLE enough to release an incomplete game!

Just so you all know here's the list of things that UNCONSCIONABLE:

Murder
    Perpetuating a Ponzi Scheme
    Stealing from orphans
    Releasing a pinball machine and then updating the code later

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-should-think-about-playing-the-long-game?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.